Welcome to your September forecast!
Significant movements of the planets this month.
September starts off with Mercury turning retrograde in Libra -- the third time Mercury does its backward dance this year. Now, Mercury retrogrades in relationship-oriented Libra, making this a perfect time to review your recent agreements and conversations. All of the usual Mercury retrograde cautions hold true, so don’t react to any news you receive until you have double-checked the facts. Mercury will be retrograde until September 29.
Next, powerful Pluto turns direct in ambitious Capricorn on September 11, so watch as your goals advance! Then, on September 12, boundary-maker Saturn forms a quincunx aspect to Neptune, a planet whose energy dissolves boundaries, so you'll need to make adjustments in your overall life-plan.
Saturn opposes Uranus on September 15, reminding you to build flexibility into your goals. Then, the Sun shines a big spotlight on this opposition with a conjunction to Saturn and an opposition to Uranus on September 17. Mindful Mercury's entrance into Virgo on September 17 helps you get a plan together. Then the new Moon in Virgo on September 18 brings a fresh beginning, and by September 20 -- when Venus enters Virgo -- your immersion in all things Virgo enters your relationship life.
You may feel pulled in two different directions when retrograde Mercury in practical Virgo connects with the ongoing Saturn-Uranus opposition. Add to this a conjunction to rule-maker Saturn on September 22, and an opposition to independent Uranus on September 23. In between all of this, the Fall Equinox occurs on September 22 with the Sun’s entrance into peaceful Libra.
We end the month with Mercury turning direct in Virgo on September 29, and once again it's full speed ahead to move forward with your plans.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Shania Twain gave a gift to fans on the occasion of her 44th birthday on Friday (August 28th). She posted a very long letter along with a 15-minute video travelogue on her website. The video shows how Twain has been spending the past year since she first split with her husband and producer Mutt Lange.
Twain has spent a good bit of the last 12 months traveling around the world with a man she refers to as "a dear friend and true gentleman." Frederic Thiebaud, or Fred, as Twain calls him, is the ex-husband of Anne-Marie Thiebaud, Twain's former friend and the women with whom Lange was having an affair.
The travelogue was largely recorded on Thiebaud's cell phone. Twain's documented adventures include skydiving, horseback riding and riding camels in Egypt. Her eight-year-old son, Eja, is in some of the footage, as is Thiebaud's daughter, Johanna, who is also eight.
The travel habits of Twain and Thiebaud have sparked rumors that the two are married, engaged or at the very least, a couple, a subject that Twain does not clarify in the letter.
Twain said, "(He) has been the most constant companion and support for both Eja and I. And having gone through the suffering of his family splitting apart at the same time and under the same extreme circumstances, he understands me better than anyone. We leaned on one another through the ups and downs, taking turns holding each other up. We've become stronger and closer through it all, as have our children . . . "
- Twain will fill the fourth seat at the judge's table during American Idol auditions on Monday (August 31st) and Tuesday (September 1st) in Chicago.
- To watch Twain's new video travelogue or to read her letter to fans, click here: www.shaniatwain.com.
Keith Urban will headline the 'We're All For The Hall' concert to benefit the Country Music Hall of Fame And Museum on October 13th at the Sommet Center in Nashville. He announced the news during his concert at the Sommet Center on Saturday (August 29th) before a packed house. So far, Faith Hill, Vince Gill, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Dierks Bentley and Jason Aldean have signed on to perform as well. Tickets to the event will go on sale to the general public on Wednesday (September 2nd) at 10 a.m. CT at ticketmaster.com. All tickets are $25.
- To watch Urban's official announcement during his Escape Together World tour stop in Nashville, click here: www.keithurban.net.
Carrie Underwood's brand new C.A.T.S. Foundation -- which stands for the Checotah (SHUH-COAT-UH) Animal, Town & School -- and the Academy of Country Music's charitable arm, called ACM Lifting Lives, teamed up to surprise students in Underwood's hometown of Checotah, Oklahoma on Friday (August 28th). The former American Idol winner personally delivered more than $117,000 in new instruments for the music programs at the Middle, Intermediate and High School in Checotah. Buses brought students from the lower schools to the high school for the last minute assembly during which Underwood performed her hit "So Small" with a fifth-grade girl.
- Underwood said, "I am so proud to have come from such a wonderful community that helped shape me as a person, and I can think of nothing better than to share the gift of music with the students in my hometown. It's so great to be able to give back in a way that can truly better the lives of these kids and help create dreams and opportunities."
The release date of Toby Keith's new CD, American Ride, has been pushed up to October 6th. The project is in high demand thanks to the success of his lead single, the album's title track. It is his fastest-rising single since 2002's "Courtesy of the Red, White And Blue (The Angry American)," and is in the Top 10 on the country charts. The American Ride CD was originally scheduled for release on October 13th.
- Underwood's C.A.T.S Foundation was created by the singer to help causes in and around her hometown of Checotah.
- Underwood will be inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame on September 17th.
- She is working on a new album which is scheduled for release on November 3rd.
- Keith is currently out on his America's Toughest tour with special guest Trace Adkins.
- Keith kicks off his first major European tour in November.
Fans who didn't make it to this year's CMA Music Festival in Nashville will get to see some of the week's standout performances during tonight's ABC special, CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock. The three-hour show includes appearances by Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, Dierks Bentley, Brooks & Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Julianne Hough, Jamey Johnson, Kid Rock, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Jake Owen, Brad Paisley, Kellie Pickler, John Rich, Darius Rucker, Sugarland, Taylor Swift, and Zac Brown Band. It also features a reunion of The Judds giving their first performance together in six years.
- This year marked Lady Antebellum's second time to sing on the main stage at the CMA Music Festival. The trio's performance of their recent Number One hit, "I Run To You" will be featured on the show, but their performance that night was fraught with challenges, as Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott tell us:"(Charles) We did have a couple technical difficulties. I felt so bad cause our first two songs we were kind of . . . our mics went out and everything. (Hillary) I don't think you could hear me. (Charles) So, yeah, we were lucky enough by the time 'Run To You' came up everything got figured out, so that's what's gonna be on the TV, so you won't see the chaotic throwing of my ears (in-ear monitors) and all that. (Hillary) But if you see my face a little like 'uhhhh . . . ' you'll know why! (laughs) (Charles) We were terrified. It was a blast!"
- Darius Rucker tells us he was intimidated by the lineup of acts on the night he was scheduled to perform. "I'm sittin' there watching the show and it starts and Brooks & Dunn opens the show . . . alright, (laughs) I'm cool with that, and then they finish and 10 minutes later Reba McEntire comes on. I hate to say it but I was just kind of happy that it rained cause then Rascal Flatts didn't have to go on before me (laughs)! That was good!"UE (:24 OC: . . . That was good!)
- Rucker added that sometimes he still can't believe that his dreams of being a part of country music are coming true. "To be invited to be on that stage on that night was . . . I'm really waiting for somebody to wake me up in Albuquerque and tell me it's time to go on stage and I'm waiting with my boys. I'm waitin' to be pinched cause, you know, you feel like I'm just trying to get in and those are the things that make you feel like, 'You're not tryin' anymore, man, you're in! They're with ya. As long was you keep giving them good music they'll play it.' That's a great feeling!"
- CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock airs at 8 p.m. ET.
- This year's CMA Music Festival was held in June.
Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton and Wynonna are some of the country stars taking part in next weekend's Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon. The annual fundraiser, which begins on Sunday, September 6th, will also include appearances by Neal McCoy, Lee Greenwood, the Grascals and Bo Bice.
- The Jerry Lewis Telethon runs through Monday, September 7th.
- Check local listings for stations and times.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 7:00PM (ET)
Q. Who originally recorded "Fancy," which was later recorded by Reba McEntire and became a big hit?
A. Bobbie Gentry
- Richard Gere (actor, An Officer And A Gentleman, Pretty Woman, Dr. T & The Women, Chicago; husband of Carey Lowell; former husband of Cindy Crawford) (60)
- Itzhak Perlman (famous violinist) (64)
- Frank Robinson (Hall Of Fame baseball player, the first black manager in the major leagues) (74)
- Deborah Gibson ('80s pop star, formerly Debbie Gibson) (39)
- Gina Schock (drummer of the Go-Gos) (52)
- Van Morrison (rock legend) (64)
- Glenn Tilbrook (singer-guitarist, Squeeze) (52)
- Rudolf Schenker (guitarist, the Scorpions) (61)
- Reb Beach (guitarist, Winger, Alice Cooper, Dokken, Whitesnake) (46)
- Chris Tucker (actor-comedian, The Fifth Element, the Rush Hour movies) (37)
- Marcia Clark (prosecutor in the O.J. Simpson murder trial) (56)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Dolly Parton's "Love Is Like A Butterfly" became her third Number One in a year in 1974.
- Jeannie C. Riley made her Opry debut in 1968.
- The Dixie Chicks' Fly album was released in 1999.
- Roy Clark married Barbara Joyce Rupard in 1957.
- Clay Walker earned his first platinum album with his self-titled debut in 1994.
- George Jones topped the Billboard country singles list with "The Grand Tour" in 1974.
- Merle Haggard's prison-themed "Mama Tried" claimed the top spot on the Billboard country singles chart in 1968.
JOHN KRASINSKI AND EMILY BLUNT ENGAGED: John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are headed down the aisle. The actor's rep told People magazine, "We can confirm that John and Emily are engaged." Kraskinski, who is 29, and Blunt, who is 26, have been dating since November of 2008.
'TOO SOON' FOR KELLY PRESTON TO TALK ABOUT SON: Kelly Preston has pulled out of her scheduled appearance at the California Governor's Conference for Women because it's "just too soon" to speak about the death of her son Jett. Preston was due to host a panel titled "Grief & Resilience" about her experience losing Jett, who died in January at age 16. She explained the decision to People magazine, saying, "It is with my sincere apologies that I must pull out from speaking at [the] conference. I am sorry, but I truly believed that I could do it. Otherwise I never would have said that I could. But I am still deeply in the process of healing, and it's just too soon." Earlier this summer, her husband John Travolta pulled out of the press tour for his film The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 to because he and his family needed "additional time to reconcile our loss."
TYRA BANKS ENGAGED? Tyra Banks was spotted with what appeared to be a diamond on her left ring finger, sparking rumors that she's engaged. The talk show host is in a long term relationship with businessman John Utendahl. To see a picture of the ring, go to: http://tinyurl.com/n3r9qj
KATHERINE HEIGL HOSTS ELLEN POMPEO BABY SHOWER: Katherine Heigl hosted a star-studded baby shower for her Grey's Anatomy co-star Ellen Pompeo on Saturday (August 29th). Kate Walsh, Sandra Oh and Rebecca Gayheart were among the guests who celebrated the impending arrival of Pompeo's daughter with husband Chris Ivery. A source told People magazine, "Ellen looked gorgeous in a white summer dress with her hair in a braided up-do. She seemed very excited to celebrate with her girlfriends." Pompeo is reportedly due in October.
MEG RYAN DATING MARRIED MAN? Meg Ryan is reportedly dating a married man. The National Enquirer claims that America's former sweetheart is secretly seeing movie producer Graham King -- although his wife denies it. The tabloid however, claims that has rented a mansion down the road from his home for his trysts with the actress, who is reportedly hoping her beau can help revive her career. A source said, "Graham is not being deceitful with Meg. She knows his wacky situation is far from perfect. But being involved with King may be her Hollywood salvation."
IS DEREK HOUGH GAY? Rumors are circulating that Dancing With the Stars pro Derek Hough might be gay. Sources told the National Enquirer that Shannon Elizabeth broke up with the entertainer because constant rumors that he preferred the company of men "began to take its toll" on their relationship. The couple split amicably earlier this month with both saying that they would "remain good friends."
ROBIN WILLIAMS STARRING IN NEW COMEDY: Robin Williams has signed on to star in an upcoming comedy. The Hollywood Reporter announced that Wedding Banned "centers on a long-divorced couple who kidnap their daughter on her wedding day to prevent her from making the same mistakes they did."
CHANNING TATUM AND WIFE TEAMING UP FOR NEW PROJECT: Newlyweds Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan are working on their first professional collaboration as a married couple. Jenna told EOnline.com, "We're sort of writing a screenplay right now for a musical. There's not a whole lot I can tell you yet, but it's a very fantasy-based musical." The actress added that she's in the process of changing her last name, explaining, "At the moment, I'm hyphening it," she said. "For the next film that I do, it will probably be Jenna Dewan-Tatum."
'WIZARD OF OZ' RETURNING TO THE BIG SCREEN: The Wizard of Oz is headed back to theaters for one night only. The Los Angeles Times reports that a high-definition version the classic film will hit 450 theaters on September 23rd to celebrate the film's 70th anniversary.
SURVIVING THE INFAMOUS TEACHER
(Woman's Day) Did your child get "The Teacher" this year? Even if a teacher lives up to her reputation, you and your child can not only survive, but thrive, in the year ahead. Here's how:
- The Strict Teacher -- Focus on what your child can gain from the teacher's approach. Know the classroom rules, and review assignments and homework with your child on a regular basis to ensure he's meeting the teacher's expectations.
- The Tough Grader -- View the experience as a life lesson. When his honor student son got a teacher who never gave a grade higher than a C, Bob Nelms of Philadelphia encouraged the teen to stick it out rather than switch to another class. "Difficult teachers, like tough bosses, are part of lief," Bob says. Encourage your child to work hard no matter what the results, and help him adjust his grade expectations.
- The Non-Communicator -- Think you'll be forewarned of a D on your child's report card? Not always. Ask for ways to keep tabs on your child's progress throughout the marking period that don't make unreasonable demands on the teacher's time.
- The Crabby Teacher -- Encourage your child not to take it personally if his teacher is irritable, and help put the teacher's behavior in perspective. When her son had an impatient and scolding teacher, Dawn Bernett of Leesburg, Virginia, asked the teacher to list some of the boy's strengths, and then shared them with him. "It was nice for my son to know that, despite outward appearances, the teacher liked some things he was doing," Dawn says.
- The Confusing Teacher -- Ask for individual help. If your child is still lost in a cloud of chalk dust, encourage her to find a study buddy in the class, and ask the teacher for recommendation of Web sites that explain the material.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- George Clooney has a broken hand, the result of closing it in a car door while at a vacation home in Italy.
- The newspaper situation gets worse. Their advertising revenue was down 29% for the second quarter.
- As for the stock market, this has been their best 6-month rally since 1933!
- Mischa Barton explains her mysterious hospital stay last month as the result of some wisdom tooth issues that complicated her life and so she just needed a rest. In her words, "it was a full-blown nervous breakdown."
- David Beckham and Lady Gaga will join Ellen for the fall premiere episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Tuesday, September 8.
- It's being called "Helmet-gate," after President Obama went for a bike ride with his family on Martha's Vineyard... but he was the only one NOT wearing a helmet.
- Chris Brown talks with Larry King on Wednesday night. (It was already taped.)
- Danny Gokey's first post-American Idol album is going to be country!
- The word is that Derek Jeter and "Friday Night Lights" actress Minka Kelly are secretly engaged and plan a post-baseball season wedding.
- Chelsea Handler has supposedly kicked her boyfriend, Comcast CEO Ted Harbert, out of their Los Angeles home. No comment from Chelsea.
- Country music takes over ABC tonight with "CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock." Performers include Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Reba McEntire and Kid Rock.
- There's a new rehab facility in Fall City, Washington, (just east of Seattle) called "Restart," for those addicted to the Internet. Claims to be the first of its kind.
THE DO'S AND DON'TS OF APOLOGIZING TO YOUR LADY (Asylum.com)
- What's Done Is Done: "Do NOT apologize to her for things you did before you were in a relationship with her," advises Laurie Puhn, a family lawyer-mediator and author. "Past acts were not intended to harm your current girlfriend in any way, so do not let her guilt you on your past."
- The "Oops, I Had a One-Night Stand" Apology: So you're out without your buddy, funneling Jagermeister down your throat as if your life depended on it, and suddenly it's 8 o'clock in the morning and you're groaning awake next to a stranger who isn't wearing any clothes. First, get some tests from your doctor. If your next step is to apologize to your girlfriend, don't expect that to go to well. "He should be 100 percent prepared for a breakup," Puhn says. "Cheating is very hard for a couple to truly get over and if you're not married yet, then most likely she's out the door." Also, ask yourself, do you really want to stay with her? Being in a relationship means you decide to stop looking for someone better."
- Some Things May Be Better Left Unsaid: But what if your little diversion from faithfulness didn't involve much more than a drunken make-out session in the back of a dive bar? For Dr. Seth, an L.A.-based clinical psychologist and relationship expert, the need to apologize enters more of a gray area: "Because everyone is capable of making a mistake, be sure to evaluate the reasons why you want to tell your partner about the transgression. Sometimes, the memory of a transgression can haunt the person you hurt and make her insecure when you go out in the future. You want to strike a balance of honesty and protection of your partner's feelings."
- Skip Starbucks, Be a Man: "The more important the transgression, the more privacy is needed," says psychologist and life coach Dr. Amy Johnson. "I've seen men do just the opposite -- admit to an affair in a crowded coffee shop thinking they'll be spared the angry outbursts and tears if they are in public. These guys are acting selfishly and are complete wimps! Give her the privacy she deserves and the opportunity to express any emotions she needs to, in private. Confessing in public will only lead to embarrassment for both of you."
- Let Her Chew You Out: "Men often make the mistake during an apology scenario in which they don't give their partner the chance to talk," Dr. Seth says. "She may need a little time to vent her feelings and tell her side, so make sure your apology leaves room for a two-way conversation, not an apology monologue." We advise playing it calm and cool.
- Keep Buts Out of It: Johnson stresses a vital rule: "NEVER say, 'I'm sorry, but...' Men and women are both guilty of this -- the 'but' completely counteracts the 'I'm sorry.'
- Admit you were wrong. Even if you both made mistakes in the situation, your apology is about owning up to your part in the issue. It's not a time to remind her that she was also wrong or defend yourself in any way."
- Apologize Empty-Handed: Don't show up at your 'sorry' session bearing flowers or a necklace. "If you cheat on your wife and later admit it to her, she doesn't want flowers with your apology -- what she wants is for you to not have cheated," advises Dr. Seth.
DID YOU KNOW?
STUDY FINDS MEN MORE LIKELY TO STALK WOMEN ON FACEBOOK: A study reported on in London's Daily Mail suggested men are more likely to stalk women on Facebook, the social networking site, and spend at least 8 minutes spying on their partner's online profile every day. They become jealous when other men comment on photographs of their partner, the research commissioned by crime drama channel Alibi found. The poll showed 58 percent of Britons have looked up at least two ex-partners on Facebook, while 15 percent of adults have changed their Facebook status with the intention of making their current or ex-partner jealous.
MOWING LAWNS CAN RELIEVE STRESS: According to researchers, the aroma that comes from a freshly mowed lawn relieves stress and improves memory. Neuroscientist Dr. Nick Lavidis believes that the chemicals created when greenery is cut bolster the brain against the kind of bad stress that leads to higher blood pressure, a weakened immune system and forgetfulness. Lavidis is so convinced about the benefits of lawn-mowing that he's spent the last seven years creating a feel-good spray that replicates these aromas, which will soon be available in stores.
SIZE MATTERS FOR WOMEN DURING SEX TOO: Fox News reports that new research from Kim Wallen, a professor of psychology and behavioral neuroendocrinology at Emory University, indicates that the distance between a woman's clitoris and vagina may determine how easily she climaxes from intercourse alone. "Teleclitoridienne," a term meaning "female of the distant clitoris," was first studied in the last century. According to "Bonk: The Curious Couple of Science and Sex," the term was coined in the 1920s by Princess Marie Bonaparte, the great grand niece of Napoleon. This psychoanalyst was considered a sex researcher in her own right. To prove her hypothesis, Bonaparte interviewed and measured 243 females in 1924 that were incapable of having an orgasm during intercourse. Working with doctors, she actually measured these women, finding that 21 percent of the sample fell into the teleclitoridienne category. The 69 percent of women in her sample who could have orgasms during intercourse had significantly smaller distances between sex organs. These women, referred to as paraclitoridiennes, could almost always climax from intercourse.
GRAPHICALLY DESCRIBING FAILURE DESTROYS AMBITION: A new study suggests that people are likely to give up their ambitions only after they're given scenarios of all the ways they could horribly, horribly fail. Lemondrop.com reports that researchers culled a group of students studying to be psychologists, divided them up, and basically taunted their career aspirations in three different ways. The study deduced that just telling people they'll fail isn't enough -- it helps to paint "a very vivid picture" of said failure.
THE NASCAR REPORT FOR MONDAY, AUGUST 31st, 2009
AMBROSE MESSED UP, EDWARDS WINS AT MONTREAL
Nationwide Cup Series Napa Auto Parts 200 Results (unofficial)
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Canada
Sunday, August 30th, 2009
- Carl Edwards
- Marcos Ambrose
- Andrew Ranger
- Jacques Villeneuve
- Brad Keselowski
- Tony Raines
- Jean-Francois Dumoulin
- Stephen Leicht
- Brendan Gaughan
- Kyle Busch
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
- Teams practiced AND qualified in the rain on Saturday
- Colin Braun had engine problems early on causing the longest caution in history!
- Patrick Carpentier had transmission problems while running top 5
- 4 minutes per pace lap...excruciatingly painful
- Justin Allgaier lost control after a wheel hop, took out Ron Fellows and damaged Kyle Busch's 18 machine
- Why can't teams figure out how to make windshield wipers work at high speeds?
- In a late restart, Carl Edwards moved Marcos Ambrose aside, on the next set of turns, Ambrose returned the favor and took the lead back
- With 16 laps to go, rain fell for a full course caution
- NASCAR decided to continue racing in the rain, brought the cars down pit road, gave them a 5 minute clock to make preparations to race in the rain. This turned into a race in itself.
- Kyle Busch's windshield wipers looked wicked cool
- With 3 to go on the restart, Kyle Busch was spun, giving Carl Edwards a chance for more points. Kyle lost a ton of positions
- A battle to the finish on the final lap of the race between Marcos Ambrose and Carl Edwards
- Marcos Ambrose dominated this race, leading 60 laps, and lost it on the last turn hitting the curb sending his #47 airborne, putting him in second. Marcos said "I made one mistake and it cost me the race"
KYLE BUSCH TAKES INAUGURAL TRUCK RACE AT CHICAGO
Camping World Truck Series EnjoyIllinois.com 225 Results (unoffiical)
Chicagoland Speedway, Joliet, Illinois
- Kyle Busch
- Todd Bodine
- Colin Braun
- Rick Crawford
- Johnny Sauter
- Dennis Setzer
- Chad McCumbee
- Aric Almirola
- Timothy Peters
- Terry Cook
Kyle Busch won his second straight race in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, passing Todd Bodine with 19 laps remaining to take the inaugural EnjoyIllinois.com 225 on Friday at Chicagoland Speedway.
NOTE: There was no Sprint Cup race this weekend.
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP-UP
Last weekend, no matter what they did or how loud they screamed, Death found them.
In fact, movie-goers went looking for the big guy at the movies, pushing 3D horror flick The Final Destination to the top of the weekend box office. The movie earned estimated receipts topping $28 million in its first weekend out.
Death even killed Halloween II, which lost the gore game to come in a distant third. Last week's top-place Inglourious Basterds dropped an estimated 47 percent to take second place.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- AUGUST 28-30
1. The Final Destination, $28.3 million
2. Inglourious Basterds, $20 million
3. Halloween II (2009), $17.4 million
4. District 9, $10.7 million
5. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, $8 million
6. Julie & Julia, $7.4 million
7. The Time Traveler's Wife, $6.7 millioh
8. Shorts, $4.9 million
9. Taking Woodstock, $3.7 million
10. G-Force, $2.8 million
DETAILS EMERGING ABOUT RYAN JENKINS TIMELINE
Ryan Jenkins didn't begin his escape to Canada until 24 hours after the body of his wife Jasmine Fiore was found in a California dumpster. Police say that Jenkins, the late VH1 reality show contestant who apparently committed suicide last week, drove 150 miles after allegedly killing Fiore in order to dispose of her remains before packing his belongings and fleeing for his native Canada.
Based on interviews and security tapes, police believe that Jenkins killed Fiore on August 14th after the couple attended a poker tournament together. Surveillance video shows Jenkins returning to their San Diego hotel alone, and later carrying armfuls of clothes into his car, which police believe he emptied out of a suitcase so that he could fit Fiore's body inside.
- Her car was found last week with blood inside, indicating Fiore fought for her life. It's unclear if she died in the car or in the hotel room.
- After checking out, Jenkins drove 100 miles where police believe he may have removed the tips of Fiore's fingers and her teeth. The vehicle showed signs off off-roading, indicated he went to a remote area in order to do so. Police say Jenkins then disposed of her body and returned to the couple's Los Angeles penthouse where surveillance video shows him gradually moving most of his belongings into another car.
- Footage shows Jenkins leaving the penthouse for the final time on the morning of August 16th -- after Fiore's body had been found and less than a day after he'd reported her missing.
- A police source said, "He didn't expect that body to be located that soon, that was pretty obvious. He had to definitely hasten the pace when he got to LA as to what he needed to do.
- On the 16th he picked up his speedboat in Nevade and began his escape to Canada, where he was found dead in a motel on the 23rd.
36TH ANNUAL DAYTIME EMMY AWARDS WINNERS
36th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards Winners List
- Drama series: The Bold and the Beautiful
- Lead actress in a drama series: Susan Haskell, One Life to Live
- Lead actor in a drama series: Christian LeBlanc, The Young and the Restless
- Supporting actress in a drama series: Tamara Braun, Days of Our Lives
- Supporting actor in a drama series (tie): Vincent Irizarry - All My Children and Jeff Branson - Guiding Light
- Younger actress in a drama series: Julie Berman, General Hospital
- Younger actor in a drama series: Darin Brooks, Days of Our Lives
- Game-audience participation show: Cash Cab
- Game show host: Meredith Vieira, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
- Talk show-entertainment: Rachael Ray
- Talk show-informative: The Tyra Banks Show
- Talk show host: Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd, Barbara Walters The View
- Morning program: Good Morning America
- Directing in a drama series: One Life to Live
- Writing in a drama series: General Hospital
- Performer in a children's series: Kevin Clash, Elmo in Sesame Street
- Lifetime achievement: Sesame Street
LADIES OF "THE VIEW" NAMED BEST TALK SHOW
The View broke its Emmy curse on Sunday (August 30th) as Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd and Barbara Walters were named best talk show hosts at the Daytime Emmys. Although they frequently discuss the past snubs on their show, none of the women were on hand to accept the honor.
Rachel Ray picked up its second straight win for best entertainment talk show while Tyra Banks repeated for informative talk show. Good Morning America was again named outstanding morning program.
- Guiding Light was honored with a Daytime Emmy before signing off the air after 72 years in September. Jeff Branson, who plays Shayne Lewis on the CBS soap, tied for best supporting actor with All My Children's Vincent Irizarry. Branson said, "I have such affection for that show. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of television history. What other medium is producing product that lasts 72 years? It has entertained not only generations, but employed generations of people."
- Vanessa Williams hosted the show, which paid tribute to Guiding Light as well as Sesame Street, which is celebrating its 40th year on the air. The Bold and the Beautiful took top honors of the night after being named best daytime drama for the first time in 22 years. The CW, which was airing the show for the first time, cut its broadcast as the cast and crew were assembling on stage to accept the trophy.
- Lead acting honors went to Christian LeBlanc of The Young and the Restless, and Susan Haskell of ABC's One Life to Live.
CHECK IT OUT: See the Creative Arts winners: http://tinyurl.com/mhpv2q
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Frank Hanawalt died last week in Seattle at age 87. Frank was the principal of Seattle's Garfield High School back in the 60's and had the dubious honor of expelling a student for not attending classes. A student who would become rock legend Jimi Hendrix.
- Ellie Greenwich, who co-wrote '60s hits "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," has died at age 68 of a heart attack.
- Megan Fox as the next "Catwoman" is just a rumor, her agent says.
- Bob Dylan is coming out with his first Christmas album on October 13.
- Add Neil Patrick Harris to the ever-expanding list of celebrity judges for the next season of "American Idol."
- Men who have higher sperm counts and more lively sperm not only become fathers more easily, but also live longer says Danish researchers from the University of Southern Denmark in Odense.
- Really, a Star Trek cologne? Available in Tiberius, Red Shirt and Ponn Farr (the Vulcan mating cycle).
- 700,000 clunkers were taken off the road in the government's recent "Cash for Clunkers" program.
- Melanie Griffith has returned to a rehab facility to "reinforce her commitment to stay healthy."
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Since news of Brooks & Dunn's upcoming split broke, the internet has been loaded with articles and blogs about it. A few have caught the attention of Ronnie Dunn, who tells reporters that he finds some of them quite funny. "I love reading it, and I have. I've fallen prey to reading a few of the comments after certain articles that you see. I read a couple, and you'll have people that have certain strong opinions -- 'Yeah, oh it's awful, it's terrible.' It's like, 'Yeah, it's been great,' and then one down at the bottom (says) 'Who cares!' (laughs) Those are the ones I like, you know? 'Who cares!' (laughs)."
Darius Rucker and Lee Ann Womack will announce this year's CMA Awards nominees live from the Good Morning America studios in New York City on September 9th. The announcements will take place during the 8:30 a.m. ET half-hour of the show.
- Brooks & Dunn will release their last album, #1's . . . and then some, on September 8th.
- The duo will be featured on Monday (August 31st) night's ABC special, CMA Music Festival: Country's Night To Rock, airing at 8 p.m. ET.
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood feel much more comfortable returning as hosts of this year's CMA Awards, having done it last year for the very first time. While the two plan to inject a little humor into the show, they take their roles as hosts quite seriously, as they tell us: "(Carrie) Everybody's there for a common goal -- to celebrate a wonderful year in music and celebrate each other. And people are winning things! You don't want to get up there and be the one reason that [people think], 'Oh, that was just an okay show.' Or 'That was a great show, but what's up with the hosts?' (Brad) And sometimes the host does take away from things. (Carrie) Everybody wants to come to the CMAs! (Brad) "Yeah. This is the night of the year when country should have class. All other nights it's... (Carrie:) It's a free-for-all. (Brad) Yeah, who knows!
- The 43rd annual CMA Awards will be broadcast live from the Sommet Center in Nashville on November 11th at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
- For the second year in a row, the show will be co-hosted by Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood.
(Carrie) It's crazy. (Brad laughs)"
- This year's CMA Awards takes place on November 11th at the Sommet Center in Nashville.
- The show will air live on ABC beginning at 8 p.m. ET.
The Grand Ole Opry is joining the fight against breast cancer by "going pink" during two Opry performances on Friday, October 2nd. On each of the night's shows, Opry member Carrie Underwood will take the stage to flip the switch and turn the Opry's signature barn backdrop pink in support of the groups Women Rock for the Cure and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The shows will also include performances from Underwood, Terri Clark, and other soon-to-be-announced artists.
- Paisley and Underwood are the reigning Male and Female Vocalists of the Year.
- Five dollars from the sale of every ticket to these special shows will be donated to Women Rock for the Cure and the Greater Nashville affiliate of Susan G. Komen when purchasers mention or enter the code "OPRYPINK" when ordering tickets over the phone or online.
- Clark's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007.
Jack Ingram is partnering with KC Masterpiece Barbecue Sauces and Marinades in a campaign to encourage Americans to make grilling a part of their football season. The campaign includes "Eat and Greets" with Ingram at select tour dates beginning in September, where contest winners will be invited to a backstage barbeque before each show. He will also share a few of his personal barbecue recipes using KC Masterpiece with his fans.
- Ingram said, "I will literally spend an entire weekend in my backyard working on the perfect brisket...it's what we do in Texas...we barbeque, drink beer and talk smack about football. The KC Masterpiece relationship is perfect because it's a brand that you would already find in my fridge any day of the week."
- Ingram hits the road with Toby Keith this weekend.
- This fall, he will join Gary Allan on his Get Off On The Pain tour.
Toby Keith will kick off the 82nd National FFA (Future Farmers of America) Convention with a private concert for 55,000 FFA members in Indianapolis on October 21st. His appearance is due to his relationship with Ford Trucks, which is a longtime supporter of FFA.
- Earlier this week, Ingram set a new Guinness World Record for "most interviews in a 24 hour period" while promoting his new album, Big Dreams & High Hopes.
- The debut single, "Barefoot and Crazy" is a Top 10 hit on the country charts.
- Keith said, "I am really happy to be playing at the convention. I have been an FFA member and proud of it. We are going to have a big party at the stadium in Indianapolis."
- Keith will open his next I Love This Bar & Grill in Pittsburgh. The 15,000-square-foot restaurant and club is expected to open late next year.
- LeAnn Rimes (27)
- Jake Owen (28)
- Shania Twain (44)
- Sherrie Austin (39)
- Scott Hamilton (Olympic gold medal-winning figure skater) (51)
- Jason Priestley (actor, Beverly Hills 90210) (40)
- David Soul (actor and singer, played Hutch on TV's Starsky And Hutch) (66)
- Jack Black (Comic actor/musician School of Rock, Shallow Hal, High Fidelity, half of Tenacious D) (40)
- Ben Gazzara (Actor, The Big Lebowski, Buffalo 66, Happiness, Dogville) (79)
- Billy Boyd (actor, The Lord Of The Rings) (41)
- Jennifer Coolidge (actress, Legally Blonde, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, Stifler's Mom in America Pie) (46)
- Daniel Stern (actor, Breaking Away, Diner, the Home Alone and City Slickers movies) (52)
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
CMT TOP 20 COUNTDOWN/CMT 11:00AM (ET)
Love And Theft, Trailer Choir
OUR SONG: JOSH & ANN MARIE GRACIN/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
OUR SONG: HEIDI NEWFIELD & BILL JOHNSON/GAC 12:30PM (ET)
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 1:00PM (ET)
Chuck Wicks, Brad Paisley
BACKSTORY: DARIUS RUCKER/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
JUST FOR LAUGHS: WORKING CLASS COMEDY/CMT 9:00PM (ET)
Bill Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry The Cable Guy, Ron White
REP ADMITS GEORGE CLOONEY BROKE HAND: George Clooney is recovering after breaking his hand in Italy several weeks ago. Although the European media reported that the actor injured himself after a motorcycle accident in Switzerland, his rep Stan Rosenfield clarified to People magazine, "There was an accident and he did break his hand. He was not riding a motorcycle, it was not in Switzerland ... He was on his property in Italy and he shut the car door on his hand." Rosenfield joked, "The doctor has given him 30-40 years more to live, and no live animals were harmed during the wrapping of the hand."
KATE AND JON GOSSELIN (SORT OF) REUNITE: Kate and Jon Gosselin were peaceful as they sent daughters Cara and Mady on the bus for their first day of school on Thursday (August 27th). Photographers captured the parents arriving at the bus stop in separate cars to see the nine-year-olds off although witnesses told Usmagazine.com that the estranged couple did not interact.
MEGAN FOX MORE COMFORTABLE KISSING GIRLS: Megan Fox, who shares a lip lock with co-star Amanda Seyfried in their new movie Jennifer's Body, admits that the girl-on-girl scenes were fine with her. She told MTV News, "I feel much safer with girls, so I felt more comfortable kissing her in the movie than kissing any of the other people that I had to kiss." Her ease was in contrast to Seyfriend's comfort as Fox revealed, "I think she was extremely uncomfortable. I don't think that -- I know that. She was not comfortable and there was a lot of laughing -- like, giggling fits that happened in between takes."
CHELSEA HANDLER STAYS MUM ON SPLIT RUMORS: Chelsea Handler refused to confirm reports that she's split from her boyfriend, Comcast CEO Ted Harbert. When asked about the relationship, the Chelsea Lately host told People magazine, "I only comment on other people's lives, not my own."
MINKA KELLY AND DEREK JETER ENGAGED? Actress Minka Kelly and baseball star Derek Jeter are reportedly ready to tie the knot. A source tells the New York Post, "Derek and Minka are secretly engaged. The wedding is being planned and will take place after baseball season is over." Despite the supposed plans, a rep for Kelly said, "There is no fall wedding planned to Derek Jeter."
PARKER POSEY HAS LYME DISEASE: Parker Posey has been diagnosed with Lyme disease. The actress disclosed her condition on Wednesday (August 26th), after releasing a statement to explain why she is unable to perform in a new off-Broadway show she'd committed to. Playwright Horizons reports that a replacement for the 40-year-old actress will be announced shortly.
TOM SIZEMORE CHARGED WITH SPOUSAL BATTERY: Tom Sizemore has been charged with one count of spousal battery stemming from an incident with his girlfriend earlier this month. TMZ.com reports that the actor could face up to a year in jail and a $2,000 fine if he's found guilty of the misdemeanor. Sizemore was arrested on August 6th after someone called 911 once a verbal argument allegedly turned physical. WINNING BIDDER FOR CRYPY ABOVE MARILYN MONROE WITHDRAWS: A person who offered $4.6 million for the crypt above Marilyn Monroe has retracted the bid. The attorney representing the current owner of the crypt said that he is working with eBay to determine the outcome of the auction. Owner Elsie Poncher plans to move her late husband's body once a new occupant is found.
BLAGOJEVICH AND WIFE TO APPEAR ON 'THE VIEW': Rod Blagojevich, the indicted former governor of Illinois, and his wife Patti will be guests next month on The View. ABC announced that the couple will appear on the September 9th episode of the daytime talk show. Rod will be promoting his new book, The Governor, while Patti will likely talk about her experience on the reality series, I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!
KRISTEN CHENOWETH TO JUDGE 'AMERICAN IDOL': Kristin Chenoweth is set to guest judge American Idol. People.com reports that the actress -- who is a classically trained soprano -- will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, and Kara DioGuardi for the Orlando auditions later this week. Chenoweth has starred on Broadway in Wicked and The Apple Tree, and won a Tony for You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown.
BLAKE LIVELY GETS NEW ROLE: Blake Lively has joined the all-star cast of the crime thriller, The Town. The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the Gossip Girl star will join Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Rebecca Hall and Jeremy Renner in the film -- which is also being directed by Affleck. The film is an adaptation of Chuck Hogan's novel, Prince of Thieves. Lively will play the sister of Renner's character who is also Affleck's troubled ex-girlfriend.
'HEATHERS' BEING TURNED INTO TV SERIES: The movie Heathers is being developed into a television series. Lakeshore president Gary Lucchesi told Variety, "We talked about doing a film remake at times, but doing it for TV seemed like a fresh and original idea. And despite my previous proclamations of childhood rape when my favorite pop culture touchstones are reappropriated, I am so behind this idea, I would wear its scrunchie if asked." Winonna Ryder and Shannen Doherty starred in the cult classic, though it's unclear if they'll participate in the show.
'MAD MAN' STAR GETS MOVIE ROLE: Mad Men's Christina Hendricks will star alongside Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel in the upcoming romantic comedy, Life as We Know It. Heigl is also producing the project with the help of her mother.
IT'S GOING TO BE A PARTY AND YOU ARE INVITED!
Join Kflag Country Friday from 5 to 10pm for the "Ya Gotta Regatta Pre Party" at BHC Community Park! We will have a chance for you to dunk your favoirte VIP in the Long John Silvers Dunk Tank to raise money for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Colorado River. I am even going to take my turn in the tank. So, if you want to get Jessi all wet bring your dollar bills and join myself, Craig and Tyrone as we broadcast live. There will be copious music, food and fun for everyone.
Then Saturday morning we'll be back out at Community Park in BHC to kick off the Regatta then head over to Rotery Park to wrap it all up with the Birthday Bash and Splash. A big thanks to our friends at AT&T, Papa Johns Pizza Bullhead City, Slumer Parties by Jan, The CHP and Long John Silvers for pitching in! It's a Regatta weekend coming up starting Friday at 5PM. Don't you miss it!!!
SIGNS THAT THE GIRL YOU'RE DATING IS A LOSER (TheFrisky.com)
- Dirty-flirty double standard: She flirts with dudes in front of you, shamelessly. Then, she gets super mad and makes a scene if you so much as give a cute waitress your order.
- She needs to do everything with you: It's one thing to share experiences, but it's another thing to need someone to hold your hand all the time. When it goes beyond wanting to spending time together to demanding it constantly, you have to wonder, what's her problem?
- Party pooper: She's mopey when you're not giving her 100 percent of your attention. When you start having fun, she's wants to leave.
- Sex as a weapon: Putting out is the bartering chip she's been using since her school days, but it's a cheap ploy. A clever woman who respects herself doesn't have to abuse her sexual power.
- Baby, I'm yours: She wants to have kids so she can stop working and mooch off you. Now who's the child?
- High-maintenance mama: She's constantly complaining and barking orders. Everyone around her rolls their eyes at her demands. Why doesn't she get off her duff and do it herself?
- Friend indeed: She forces you to show off to her lady friends with grand displays of obedience, love, and virility. But she never wants to hang out with you and your best bros. Why is it she expects people to thinks she's impressive when she never does anything to impress them?
- Parent trap: She blames her life's problems on her parents, yet she depends on them, a lot.
- Social climber: She's always looking for someone richer to kiss up to. When it comes to making new friends, she's a total snob.
- Beauty is only skin deep: She thinks she should be famous, but she hasn't done anything to warrant admiration besides look pretty.
- Eau de desperation: She reeks of needing a man, and she will stop at nothing to bag one. When she's single, her female friends even feel like they have to hide their boyfriends for fear she will try to pounce.
- One-way street: You're constantly doing things for her, but, as Janet Jackson would put it, "What have you done for me lately?" If she's going to act like a princess, why doesn't she treat you like the prince of a gentleman you are?
- Go fish: She's always looking for compliments. You have to constantly reassure her that she's amazing, but her response always seems to say: "I know."
WHAT DAYS ARE BEST FOR WHAT TASKS? (Telegraph)
Researchers at the University of Vermont analysed 2.4 million blogs and internet messages to find out which days of the week we love the most by counting the number of positive and negative words used. The findings show Sunday is our favorite day with our worst day being Wednesday.
- Research shows that Mondays are our the second happiest day as we are still upbeat from the weekend.
- Mondays are a good day to invest in the stock market but a bad day for staying alive.
- Shares on a Monday tend to move in a similar direction as Friday making it easier to predict price changes.
- A fifth more deaths happen on a Monday and it is the most common day to die of a heart attack.
- Tuesdays are a good day to update blog pages but a bad day for sex.
- The most hits on blog pages are recorded on Tuesdays.
- We have the least sex on Tuesdays according to an NOP health survey.
- Wednesdays are a good day to ask for a pay rise but a bad day for driving.
- In a survey of 1,500 bosses, most revealed they were more receptive to requests a Wednesday. On Mondays they are too busy preparing for the week ahead and by Thursday and Friday they are thinking about the weekend.
- Most traffic accidents happen on Wednesdays according to vehicle management firm Velo. It came to this conclusion after analysing 55,000 insurance claims.
- Thursdays are good to give up smoking but bad for rain.
- Your willpower is strong for the first few days which helps you get through the weekend.
- Fridays are good to sack someone but bad for earthquakes.
- Judi James, a business consultant, says Mondays are a bad day to tell someone they are fired because they only take the negative message. But on a Friday the words may not be as wounding and he or she may even agree it is time to look for another job.
- Half of the worst earthquakes in history struck on a Friday, including one that killed 30,000 in Gujarat, India, and 2003's in Bam, Iran, that left 40,000 dead.
- Saturdays are a good day to have a baby but a bad day for drinking.
- Babies born on Saturdays have a better than average chance of becoming Prime Minister. Of 20 British leaders elected since 1900, six were born on a Saturday including Harold Wilson, Stanley Baldwin and Anthony Eden.
- The number of people admitted to hospital for alcohol poisoning increases by two-thirds on Saturdays, the British Medical Journal revealed.
- Sundays are a good day to communicate but bad for cooking.
- A third more people opened their personal emails on a Sunday compared with a busy weekday, according to new research.
DID YOU KNOW?
IS IT HARD TO BE FRIENDS WITH PRETTY GIRLS? A write on Lemondrop.com mused, "Let's face it: Beauty is a privilege. It acts like a honing device for male attention, opens doors to clubs, causes compliments to rain upon the lucky ones. But if the parties aren't careful, a beautiful friend and a regular-looking friend can get locked into a power dynamic. I truly think my friendship difficulties with pretty women stem from my challenging them with words or reasoning, instead of allowing them to get what they want, as they are used to. Jealous? No. I'm resentful. When it becomes clear to me that a beautiful friend of mine plays the "my way or the highway" card, I resent the fact that I'm being valued so little."
TEENS NOT DRIVING TWITTER'S SUCCESS: According to the New York Times, teenagers are not the dominant demographic on Twitter, account for 14 percent of MySpace's users and only nine percent of Facebook's. The paper wrote, "As the Web grows up, so do its users, and for many analysts, Twitter's success represents a new model for Internet success. The notion that children are essential to a new technology's success has proved to be largely a myth. Many young people, who have used Facebook since they began using the Internet and for whom text messaging is their primary method of communication, say they simply do not have a need for Twitter."NAKED PLUS SIZE MODEL PROMPTS DISCUSSION: A "plus size" model who appears in September's Glamour magazine has prompted a mostly postitive reaction from women who are happy to have a "real" woman represented in a fashion book. In the picture, Lizzie Miller is seen smiling broadly as her stomach hangs out over her underwear. However, some people say that lavishing attention on the image makes the public look less progressive because "there are literally millions of women who look like Lizzie Miller -- we just don't see them in the media."
FINAL DATA IN FROM 'CASH FOR CLUNKERS' PROGRAM:
Final data released yesterday (August 26th) by the Department of Transportation on the $3 billion "Cash for Clunkers" auto rebate program showed 690,114 sales with the total value of rebates claimed at $2.88 billion.
The top-selling vehicles under the program were:
- Toyota Corolla
Ford Focus front-wheel drive
Ford Escape front-wheel drive
The top vehicles traded in were:
Ford Explorer four-wheel drive
Ford F-150 Pickup two-wheel drive
Jeep Grand Cherokee four-wheel drive
Ford Explorer two-wheel drive
Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan two-wheel drive
Jeep Cherokee four-wheel drive
Chevrolet Blazer four-wheel drive
Chevrolet C1500 pickup two-wheel drive
Ford F-150 pickup four-wheel drive
Ford Windstar front-wheel drive van
And the top manufacturers of the new vehicles sold under the program were:
Toyota, 19.4 percent
General Motors, 17.6 percent
Ford, 14.4 percent
Honda, 13 percent
Nissan, 8.7 percent
THEY'RE BACK IN SCHOOL
They're almost back in school, but do you know what your tweens are really up to? Check out this parents guide from Good Housekeeping magazine:
- 18% of eighth graders have experimented with marijuana at least once according to a National Institute on Drug Abuse study. What you can do: Research shows that kids are 36% less likely to smoke marijuana if they learn about the risk from their parents, so talk to your child.
- 48% of seventh graders admitted copying homework according to a Rutgers University survey. What you can do: Don't address what your child did, say experts, address the possible motives. One common reason kids copy: They don't really want to be dishonest, but they just don't understand the subject matter. If that's the case, go over the homework with your child every night.
- 40% of tweens spend their lunch money on junk food according to a Good Housekeeping online survey. What you can do to help kids make smarter choices: Stock up on good for you snacks. The more kids eat healthy food at home, the more they'll seek it out in other settings. Limit TV time. Studies show there's a connection between how much television kids watch and how much junk they eat.
- 45% of tweens aren't think about school even when they're there according to a Good Housekeeping online survey. What they think about most when they're tuned out: 20% are focused on after school plans; 12%, on popularity; and 13%, on dating.
- 80% of ten year old girls have been on a diet according to a Magellan Health Services study. Plus a Good Housekeeping online survey found 34% of the tween girls said they've cut back on their eating without telling mom. What you can do: Kids look to parents as examples, so don't ever let the words "I'm so fat!" escape your mouth. Your kids internalize what you say about body image, so keep criticisms in check. You should also be careful about how often you talk about your child's looks. Even too much praise can send the wrong message. If your tween really does have a weight problem take action, but don't make her feel like an outsider. Get the whole family involved in exercise and eating well.
- 52% of tweens admitted to using swearwords at school. What you can do: Watch your own language, parents are kids' greatest role models.
- 22% of tweens admitted they've played hooky. What you can do: Ask the school for attendance records. If your tween isn't showing up, try your best to avoid yelling. That kind of reaction rarely translates into positive changes in kid's behavior. Instead, create a contract with your child to outline what the consequences will be if he ditches class.
- 35% of tweens admitted turning in fake notes, forging signatures, whether to excuse an absence or to give permission for a field trip. What you can do: See if the school can keep your signature and handwriting samples on file so that administrators will be able to detect fakes right away.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The launch of the Space Shuttle "Discovery" has been delayed until Friday. I'm surprised they don't show its launches on the Discovery channel. Seems like a natural.
- Dominick Dunne, intrepid crime reporter, writer and novelist, died Wednesday at his home in Manhattan. He was 83. His daughter played the older sister in the movie "Poltergeist" and shortly there after, was strangled to death by her boyfriend.
- Jennifer Aniston will only date other celebrities, because she knows he will empathize with her hectic lifestyle, reports Us Weekly. She recently been linked to "300" star Gerard Butler.
- Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will once again co-host the CMA awards on ABC November 11th.
- John Schnatter -- better known as Papa John -- has been reunited with the 1971 gold and black Chevrolet Camaro Z28 he sold for $2,800 in 1983 to help his father keep the family tavern open. now, he's offering free pizza on August 26 -- but only Camero owners get the free pie.
- On the September 11th edition of "20/20," Barbara Walters will have a sit down chat with LaToya Jackson.
- After 8 months as Jenny Craig spokesperson, Phylicia Rashad has lost 35 pounds. Her new TV commercials hit on Saturday.
- The rumor mill has Megan Fox hosting the season premiere of "Saturday Night Live" on September 26th.
- Paula Abdul is making all of her big announcements on Twitter... including the fact she'll be hosting this year's VH1 Divas show on September 17th.
- By the way, Oprah will be making her next book club pick on September 18th.
- British TV viewers have had enough, as the network has announced this will be the last season of their version of "Big Brother."
Birth order and how it might be able to determine your career. (From Careerbuilder.com):
- Personality: Firstborns are ambitious, assertive, dominant and disciplined compared with their younger siblings. They're determined to succeed yet fearful of losing position and rank, and are defensive about errors and mistakes, Dattner says.
- Compensation: A recent survey by CareerBuilder.com found that workers who were the firstborn child in their families were more likely to earn $100,000 or more annually compared with their siblings.
- Professions: The oldest tend to pursue vocations that require higher education, like medicine, engineering or law. Ohio State University researchers found firstborn children were more likely to pursue "intellectual" jobs.
- Personality: Middle children are good at negotiation, peacemaking and compromise, Dattner says. They are easygoing and diplomatic and are usually closer to friends than family.
- Compensation: More middle children identified themselves as earning $35,000 or less per year than firstborn or youngest children, according to the CareerBuilder.com survey.
- Professions: Middles tend to have excellent negotiating and people skills -- anything that employs these skills is a great fit.
- Personality: Youngest children love the limelight and are used to sitting in it. They are charming and creative, have a good sense of humor and manipulate others when they want to get their way.
- Compensation: Last borns were the least likely to report earning six figures, according to the CareerBuilder.com survey.
- Professions: Youngest children often gravitate toward artistic and outdoor jobs, according to the OSU survey. They're also successful in journalism, advertising, sales and athletics.
Only children: Only children are similar to firstborns in that they are motivated to conform to parental expectations, Dattner says. They are also achievement-oriented and successful in school and have problems delegating work. Research shows they are more confident, articulate and imaginative than other children. They also hate criticism and tend to be perfectionists.
Twins: Because of their equal status in terms of their age -- and, if they're identical, their genes -- twins are usually treated the same and turn out similarly. They tend to have different personalities and interests, but are closer to each other than other siblings and tend to have less conflict with each other than other siblings.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Kenny Chesney has written a song exlusively for ESPN's college football game coverage and studio telecasts. The song, called "This Is Our Moment," will be debuted at the start of Dick's Sporting Goods Kickoff week on September 3rd during the pregame show. It will also be used during select games throughout the season and bowl games.
- According to reports, Chesney started writing "This Is Our Moment" on a cocktail napkin during a dinner with football announcer Brent Musburger and football analyst Kirk Herbstreit in Nashville last fall.
- Chesney is the only concert act in any genre to sell over a million tickets in North America each of the past seven years.
- His Sun City Carnival tour wraps on September 19th in Indianapolis.
Reba McEntire's brand new CD, Keep On Loving You, debuts at Number One on both the all-genre Billboard 200 and Top Country Albums charts this week. More than 96,000 copies of the CD were purchased since its release on August 18th.
- McEntire takes the reigns at Number One from George Strait, who falls to Number Two on the Billboard 200 with Twang.
- Keep On Loving You is McEntire's 11th Number One on the Top Country Albums chart, setting the record for the most chart-topping country albums among female acts. She was previously tied with Loretta Lynn
Darius Rucker performed to a packed Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville on Monday (August 24th) as a part of the Samsung AT&T Summer Krush concert series. A portion of the performance will air on Thursday (August 27th), on ABC's late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
Rucker has a special love and respect for the Opry House having grown up listening to Grand Ole Opry radio broadcasts. He tells us that he takes every chance he gets to grace that hallowed stage. "I say to my guys, 'Hey, I wanna play the Opry cause I want to (laughs)' and you know, sure enough you get on. That's what I love about country music. Any Tuesday, Friday or Saturday night I come to Nashville I can go to play, and as a musician that's a wonderful thing. Just to go play three songs in front of that crowd is awesome. I talk about the Opry and people laugh at me, but y'all don't know how many times we sat in the back of the Hootie bus and go, 'Man, get us on the Opry!' It never happened, and now to be able to play it is just always awesome to me."
Jack Ingram is likely resting his voice now that he has accomplished his goal of doing 215 radio interviews in a 24-hour period. The singer officially set the new Guinness World Record as of Wednesday (August 26th) morning, talking to stations across most of the 50 states and parts of Canada, Ireland and Australia about his brand new CD, Big Dreams & High Hopes, which was released on Tuesday (August 25th).
- In addition to his performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, fans can tune in to see Rucker on ABC on Monday (August 31st) night for CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock.
- Ingram said, "After the last 24 hours, I officially have nothing left to say."
- The previous Guinness record of 96 interviews was set by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy.
- Ingram will open a string of dates for Toby Keith this weekend beginning in Kelseyville, California on Friday (August 28th).
Lady Antebellum is hard at work on their yet untitled sophomore album. While no release date has been announced, the CD's lead single, called "Need You Now," will soon be headed to radio.
Lady A members Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott and Dave Haywood co-penned "Need You Now," as they did most of the songs on the new project. Dave and Charles gave us a little insight into what to expect on the upcoming album. "(Dave) We had a lot of songs actually left over from the first record we didn't get to that we're kind of using for the second record, and we've never stopped writing. We've probably written more in the past year and a half than we have in the first year we were together. (Charles) We have lot more songs, I think, to choose from for this record, but when it does eventually come out you'll hear a lot of the same type of Lady A feel but it's definitely hopefully a little bit of a move in a different direction, maybe (we're) takin' a few more chances."
A Georgia judge rejected a request to reduce the bond of alleged Miley Cyrus stalker Mark McLeod. The Savannah Morning News reported that the judge said during the Tuesday (August 25th) hearing, "I can't deny him bond, but if I could I would, because I do feel he's a danger."
- Lady Antebellum play their last show on Kenny Chesney's Sun City Carnival tour on Sunday (August 30th) in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- They begin a string of dates with Keith Urban in Canada on September 16th.
The judge said that McLeod's statement during a post-arrest interview included a comment that he "was going to be coming back to Tybee Island (where Cyrus was filming) and finishing things." The judge explained that this comment made him feel as though McLeod could be a risk to other people.
- It was also noted during the hearing that McLeod was arrested in 2003 for contributing to the delinquency of a minor when he illegally transported a girl across the Georgia-South Carolina border.
- The 53-year-old McLeod is currently being held in lieu of $55,000 bond. He was arrested after showing up near the set of Cyrus's movie, The Last Song, several times over the summer, claiming to have received "secret messages" from Miley, who he called his secret wife.
Q. Where did trio Love And Theft get their name?
A. From the title of Bob Dylan's 2001 album.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
THE TOP 20 MY FIRST VIDEO COUNTDOWN/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
Chuck Wicks, Emily West
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 5:30PM (ET)
OUR SONG: JOSH & ANN MARIE GRACIN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
OUR SONG: HEIDI NEWFIELD & BILL JOHNSON/GAC 8:30PM (ET)
INTO THE CIRCLE: CHUCK WICKS & BRAD PAISLEY/GAC 9:30PM (ET)
BACKSTORY: DARIUS RUCKER/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE/ABC 12:05AM (ET)
- Jeffrey Steele (songwriter, former lead singer of Boy Howdy) (48)
- Jeff Cook (Alabama) (60)
- Paul Reubens (actor, known for his character Pee Wee Herman) (57)
- Tuesday Weld (actress, Looking for Mr. Goodbar) (66)
- Barbara Bach (actress, The Spy Who Loved Me, Caveman; wife of Ringo Starr) (62)
- Chandra Wilson (actress, Grey's Anatomy) (40)
- Cesaria Evora (world music superstar from Cape Verde) (68)
- Daryl Dragon (the "Captain" of Captain & Tennille, "Love Will Keep Us Together") (67)
- Sarah Chalke (actress, Roseanne, Scrubs) (33)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Garth Brooks's second album, No Fences, was released in 1990.
- The Dixie Chicks' third Sony album, Home, was released in 2002.
- Keith Urban achieved platinum with his Golden Road album in 2003.
- Phil Vassar's first daughter, Haley, was born in 1998.
- Crystal Gayle began a four-week stay at Number One in Billboard with "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" in 1977.
EDDIE CIBRIAN FILES FOR DIVORCE: Eddie Cibrian's marriage to estranged wife Brandi Glanville is headed towards an official end. Glanville told E! News that the CSI: Miami star filed for divorce on Monday (August 24th). She revealed, "We're getting a divorce. We talked to each other yesterday." Cibrian, who went public with girlfriend LeAnn Rimes last weekend, is headed to Mexico with his new flame this weekend, Glanville revealed, adding, "I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures." In his filing, Cibrian asked for shared custody of their two children as well as spousal support from Glanville.
DOMINICK DUNNE DIES: Author Dominick Dunne died on Wednesday (August 26th) at the age of 83. Dunne's son, actor-director Griffin Dunne said in a statement released by Vanity Fair that his father had been battling bladder cancer. Dunne often told stories about crimes among the rich and famous and is responsible for best-selling novels like The Two Mrs. Grenvilles. Over the past year he'd traveled to Germany and the Dominican Republic for experimental stem cell treatments to fight his cancer and wrote that he and Farrah Fawcett were in the same cancer clinic in Bavaria but didn't see each other.
HOGAN DRAMA RAGES ON: The drama between Hulk Hogan and Linda Bollea did not end with their divorce settlement. Fox News's Pop Tarts reports that Bollea filed a motion against her ex on Tuesday (August 25th) for the "Enforcement of the Confidential Marital Settlement" -- claiming Hulk has failed to release her Harley Davidson motorcycle and pay her $225,000 due on August 7th as promised in the settlement. A rep for Hogan said that he has done nothing wrong and is "absolutely complying with the terms of the marital settlement agreement."
'REAL HOUSEWIFE' REPORTEDLY EVICTED: Another Real Housewife is getting kicked out of her home. TMZ.com reports that Lynne Curtain -- who hails from the OC set -- have until Thursday (August 27th) to vacate the home they lived in on the show because they owe more than $12,000 in rent and other expenses.
SUSAN SARANDON REPORTEDLY JOINING 'WALL STREET 2': Susan Sarandon is in talks to join the upcoming Wall Street sequel. Variety reports that the actress is in negotiations to star in Oliver Stone's Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps as the mother of Shia LaBeouf's character -- who falls under the "seductive influence" of Gordon Gekko, played by Michael Douglas.
MEGAN FOX NOT PLAYING CATWOMAN: Megan Fox will not be the next star to take on the role of Catwoman. Although the British press said that the actress was to follow in the footsteps of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry in the next Batman film, a rep for the studio behind the first two Christopher Nolan films told People magazine, "It's rumor. It's not true. There is no script. There is no project to be cast in."
LEONARDO DICAPRIO REPORTEDLY DROPPING WEIGHT FOR NEW ROLE: Leonardo DiCaprio will reportedly be following in the footsteps of Christian Bale -- and dropping a ton of weight for his role in the upcoming film, Inception. A source told RadarOnline.com, "There's an action scene coming up at the end of the year in which he needs to appear emaciated, so the pressure is on. Leo isn't the kind of guy who can just lose a radical amount of weight... He's following a strict diet and is embarking on a rigorous workout regime. Leo's a pretty determined kind of guy, when he sets his mind to things he always achieves them. Though this is going to be hard for him, you can guarantee he'll succeed." STARS LINING UP FOR JEWISH 'SESAME STREET': Jake Gyllenhaal and Christina Applegate are among the stars who will be appearing in a new "Sesame Street-style" production aimed at teaching Jewish-American children about Jewish culture. The Associated Press reports that Shalom Sesame is a 12-part series for preschoolers featuring the globe-trotting Muppet Grover, who will explore Jewish identity and traditions and will film on location at several Israeli sites, including the Western Wall. Other celebrity guest stars include Debra Messing, Greg Kinnear and Cedric the Entertainer.
KARDASHIAN & WILKINSON DISH ON PREGNANCY
Pregnant E! reality stars Kourtney Kardashian and Kendra Wilkinson have revealed details of what it's like carrying their babies. Playboy centerfold Wilkinson admitted to Us Weekly, "I've been hornier! We'll be off-roading, and we'll go at it in the bushes somewhere! Or we'll be driving, and he'll pull over. Quickies are the best! If he lasts any more than a couple of minutes, I'm like, "I'm done!"
- Both of the girls plan to have their significant others in the delivery room, but it's up in the air if they'll be standing with the doctor. Kadashian said, "Scott [Disick] goes back and forth. He'll say, "I'm just gonna stand and hold your hand and not look," and then he'll say that he wants to see it." As for Wilkinson's husband, Hank Baskett, "At first he said, 'I'll be there next to you, but won't watch.' But now he says, "I want to see the crowning moment." I'm like, "Will you have sex with me after seeing this?"
- Meanwhile, despite their breast implants, both reality stars say they want to breastfeed their children.
REMONDY O'NEAL REPORTEDLY GETTING OWN REALITY SHOW
Redmond O'Neal is reportedly getting his own reality show. In Touch Weekly reports that Ryan O'Neal "brokered" a deal for his troubled son to star on a program centered on his drug addiction.
- A source claims that Redmond wants to do the show for the sake of his late mother, Farrah Fawcett. The insider explained, "Redmond wants to do this to honor his mother. He really wants to get better to honor her memory."
- Filming is reportedly slated to begin later this year when he is released from prison, where he is currently undergoing intensive substance abuse treatment. The show is expected to follow Redmond as he maintains sobriety while acclimating to a normal life.
POLICE RELEASE FOOTAGE OF 3 SUSPECTS IN LINDSAY LOHAN BURGLARY
The LAPD has released photos of the people suspected of breaking into Lindsay Lohan's home last weekend. RadarOnline.com reports that according to the police department's press release, three suspects entered Lohan's home through an unlocked door and later fled on foot.
Lohan addressed the burglary on her Twitter page Tuesday (August 25th) night, suggesting it was an inside job. She wrote, "electronics weren't taken... just things that a certain old friend knew meant a lot to me."
- Meanwhile, a source told the Chicago Sun-Times that the "real reason" the starlet is so upset about the theft of a safe from her home is because it included "very incriminating videos and photos, plus legal documents, that LiLo believes could cause embarrassment if made public."
- In other news, Fox News reports that Lohan has been working with Larry Rudolph -- Britney Spears's manager -- to develop a reality show that would "encapsulate her trials and tribulations as she gets back on her feet and actually becomes a working actress again."
GERARD BUTLER AT CENTER OF DOG SCANDAL
Gerard Butler reportedly got into an altercation in New York on Monday (August 24th) over his dog. According to Radar Online, a New York man claims that Butler struck his greyhound -- but sources from the other side allege that the man's dog actually attacked Butler's pug.
Retired banker Fred Varecka told Radar Online that Butler lashed out, explaining, "My dog crashed into a fence before 'yelping' in pain. I asked him: 'What did you hit my dog for?' But he just kept ranting and raving that our dog should be put down -- it was unbelievable because the dogs never came into contact at any time."
- A rep for Butler contends, "A larger greyhound repeatedly attacked Gerard's small pug, so he separated them to protect both dogs."
- A source close to the situation added that the greyhound "attacked Gerry's pug. Gerry had to physically get in the middle of the two of them to protect the little dog. And then he quickly put a leash on his dog. As far as I know, they are exaggerating; Gerry is an animal lover and simply separated the dogs. Gerry is not going to respond to this because he knows he didn't do anything wrong. He's devastated that these people are saying these things, he would never hurt another animal."
- The NYPD confirms that Varecka and his wife have filed a harassment complaint. A spokesperson told Radar, "The victim states that the male's dog was unleashed and charged at her dog. She stated, 'Your dog should be on a leash,' to which the perp cursed her out." The spokesperson noted that the offense could not result in an arrest.
KATE GOSSELIN TO GUEST HOST ON THE VIEW
Kate Gosselin will serve as a guest host on The View next month. E! reported on Wednesday (August 26th) that the reality mom joins the list of big names like LaToya Jackson and Meghan McCain, who have been tapped to fill on for Elisabeth Hasselbeck while she is on maternity leave. Gosselin is slated to take the stage on September 14th and September 15th.
KATE IS 'LONELY' BUT NOT DATING
The announcement of Kate's new gig came the morning after she told Larry King that she's "lonely" in the wake of her split from husband Jon. Although Jon has made headlines for his womanizing since the split, Kate told King, "I am not yet divorced officially," when asked if she feels single.
GOSSELIN POLICE INCIDENT WAS NOT 'HUGE FIGHT'
Despite an incident in which the police were called to the family's Pennsylvania home over a babysitter dispute, Kate says that she and Jon have achieved peace with their situation. She explained the incident with the cops, saying, "It was not this huge fight. It was just a thing where I wanted to be there with the kids as opposed to a babysitter. And he wasn't fond of that idea." Gosselin clarified that she made a "local, routine police call," and that there was no violence.
JON DENIES REMARKS ABOUT LEAVING TLC
Jon is denying having told a media outlet that he wants to stop filming the TLC reality show that made him famous. The 32-year-old told People magazine on Wednesday, "I never said that. A fan asked me, 'Don't you sometimes wish you could go back to a 9-to-5 job?' [And my reply was,] 'Yeah, because this is 24/7 and 9-to-5ers punch in and punch out and you have no responsibilities.' "
KATE COMMITTED TO REALITY SHOW
Kate, on the other hand, seems content to continue life in the spotlight, telling King that doing the show, "Is the most flexible, wonderful, wonderful job for myself ... The kids are just playing in front of the cameras."
- As for the future of Jon & Kate Plus 8, Kate could only say, "Myself and the kids will continue the show. I signed my name to a contract and I am going to do my best to make that work as long as it is healthy and safe for myself and the kids."
MYSTRERY WOMAN IN TYAN JENKINS CASE REPORTEDLY HIS SISTER
The woman who checked the late reality star Ryan Jenkins into the Canadian motel where he later killed himself has reportedly been identified as his younger half-sister, Alena Jenkins. Sources told the Canadian Broadcast Corporation that Alena owned the car that witnesses saw dropping off the Megan Wants a Millionaire star at the motel not long before his body was found hanging in his room on Sunday (August 23rd).
- E! reports that Alena has not been taken into custody, however it's still possible that she could face charges in Canada for helping her brother cross the border, as well as in the U.S. as an accessory after the fact for the murder of Jasmine Fiore.
- After Fiore's body was found, police searched for but could not find Jenkins, who was charged with her murder as he was apparently making his way to Canada.
- According to TMZ.com, the motel manager initially identified one of Jenkins's exes as the mystery woman, but that theory was debunked.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Rudy Giuliani is considering a run for the New York governorship next year.
- McAfee says searches for the Jessica Biel 27-year-old actress are more likely to lead to online threats such as spyware and viruses than searches for any other celebrity.
- Meryl Streep says when she was growing up, she wanted to marry Prince Charles.
- Mexico City has taken a big step towards reducing pollution when it comes to plastic grocery bags: they've banned them. All but the bio-degradable type.
- A New York City lawmaker wants a subway station renamed to honor the late Michael Jackson. It's the same station where he made the music video for "Bad."
- By the way, that crypt space above Marilyn Monroe sold on eBay for $4.6 million.
- VH1 says it will not air the reality shows with a contestant who was found dead Sunday of an apparent suicide at a Canadian motel. Two shows featured the contestant sought in the killing of his model ex-wife. Both "Megan Wants a Millionaire" and "I Love Money 3" were shelved.
- Melanie Griffith has checked into a rehab center to get off a medication she was using for a neck injury.
- After three U.S. English films in a row, Jet Li is returning to China to make a movie in Chinese and without martial arts!
- David Letterman's nanny has written a children's book.
Women's Equality Day --
We say forget all that stuff about gender equality. Men and women are different, and new studies show that women have the upper hand. Science proves what you always suspected, women are superior. They have stronger hearts and more robust immune systems. They also have better memories, more sensitive noses, more refined taste buds and they live longer.
- Brain: Certain parts of the female brain linked to language have more nerve cells than a man's, giving women an advantage in reading and speech.
- Ears: A woman's hearing is more sensitive and she uses both ears when listening to a conversation, while guys tend to use only one. Also, men start losing their hearing earlier at age 32 compared to 38 in women.
- Eyes: Color blindness is less of a problem for women because the most common form of the disorder is hereditary and carried only in men.
- Nose: With flatter, smaller noses, women can discern the mere wisp of a smell.
- Mouth: Foods pack more of a wallop for women because female saliva enlivens the taste of sweet or spicy foods.
- Heart: Women's hearts beat faster than men's, 90 times per minute compared to 80 while awake, and 66 to 56 during sleep.
- Armpits: Perfume isn't the only reason women smell better. They perspire less because they have fewer sweat glands.
- Hands: Men are more likely to be left-handed, and that makes their lives more difficult since most tools and appliances are built for right-handers.
- Liver: Women process medication differently, often enhancing the effect. But they're slower to break down alcohol and so they get tipsy quicker.
- Joints: The hormone estrogen heightens the elasticity of women's tissue and joints.
- Lungs: Women don't get the hiccups as often as men, and they breathe slower at nine breaths a minute to a man's 12.
- Hormones: Estrogen boosts the good cholesterol and lowers the bad kind. It also prevents fatty build-up in the arteries and shields a woman's bones, heart and brain.
- Stomach: The female digestive tract works slower, giving the body more time to absorb the nutrients from food.
- Immune system: The hardier immune system of the female battles viruses, bacteria and parasites more successfully.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Taylor Swift has signed on to perform at the Justin Timberlake and Friends fundraiser concert at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on October 17th. The concert and celebrity golf tournament leading up to the big show all benefit the Shriner's Hospitals for Children.
- Other entertainers set to take the stage include Alicia Keys, Ciara and TLC, who will be performing for the first time together since the death of member Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes seven years ago. Lopes was killed in a car accident.
- Tickets to the Justin Timberlake and Friends concert go on sale Saturday (August 29th).
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood so impressed Country Music Assocation execs last year that the two have been tapped again to co-host this year's CMA Awards on November 11th. The show will air live from Nashville on ABC.
- While a guest on her talk show last year, Swift told Ellen DeGeneres that she had a crush on Timberlake. DeGeneres surprised the teenager by bringing Timberlake out onstage during the taping.
- Paisley said, "Last time it was pretty late notice when we got word we were doing it, so we didn't necessarily prepare the same way then as we will this time. This time we have more advance time."
- The 2009 CMA Awards will be held at the Sommet Center.
- Paisley has won 11 CMA awards since taking home the Horizon trophy in 2000.
- Since winning the Horizon award in 2006, Underwood has collected five CMA awards.
- Paisley released his latest CD, American Saturday Night, in June, while Underwood's new untitled project will be released on November 3rd.
Kenny Chesney will be featured on a special one-hour episode of Austin City Limits, set to air on October 17th on PBS. Chesney will do stripped-down performances of such hits as "Beer In Mexico," "Summertime," "Young," "Anything But Mine" and the never-before-performed "Somewhere In The Sun," from the superstar's introspective Be As You Are: Songs From An Old Blue Chair album.
- Chesney will be joined by musician Drummie Zeb from the Wailers and singer/songwriter Mac McAnally.
- Chesney said, "There are some things that just define country, no really American music. All of the greatest artists, singer/songwriters have done Austin City Limits over the years, regardless of genre, and to be a part of such a heritage, well, it's something I'd think every musician would want to do at some point in their career. I'm just blown away that I get to have an entire hour to give my fans this music in a whole different way than I think they're used to."
- Chesney will wrap up his Sun City Carnival tour on September 19th in Indianapolis.
- He will perform at the New York State Fair in Syracuse on Friday (August 28th).
If you like the way Reba McEntire is looking these days, the credit all goes to the superstar herself. Thirty-one albums into her career, McEntire tells us she has learned the importance of taking control of her style and overall image. "I think once you get to a point in your life where you listen to your own feelings more than what people tell you and they'll say, 'Well, you'll look better in this,' and you say, 'No, but I am more comfortable in this, and if I am more comfortable in this when I go out on stage, if I'm comfortable I can forget about worrying about my high heels or if my britches are too tight or if I look silly, and I can just sing and perform and have a good time and interact with the audience."
Football season officially begins in just a couple weeks and there is no one happier about that than Darius Rucker. The singer takes in every game that he can, but he tells us his touring schedule this year has put a bit of a damper on things. "There's two times of year for me -- there's football season and waitin' for football season, and I'm so happy that football's almost here that I can't begin to tell you. The only thing I'm not happy about is Rascal Flatts, who are also big fans, they booked, like, gigs on the first week of the NFL. Are they crazy? Don't they know I have six TVs at home? (laughs) I can't wait for it to start!"
- McEntire's brand new CD, Keep On Loving You, was released last week.
- She performs her new single, "Consider Me Gone," tonight (Wednesday, August 26th) on America's Got Talent. The show airs on NBC at 9 p.m. ET.
Rucker says his loyalty to two teams in particular has never waivered."The Miami Dolphins and the South Carolina Gamecocks are my teams. Love 'em! Love 'em, and they're both winning the championship this year. I say that every year, but the year it happens I'm gonna look like a genius (laughs)."
Faith Hill will once again lend her voice to the theme song for NBC's Sunday Night Football. The song, called "Waiting All Day for Sunday Night," will debut this season on September 13th as the Green Bay Packers host the Chicago Bears.
- Rucker continues on the Rascal Flatts-headlined American Living Unstoppable tour. They play in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania on Friday (August 28th).
- Rucker's new single, "History In The Making," continues to climb the country charts. The song follows on the heels of Rucker's third consecutive Number One hit, "Alright."
- "Waiting All Day for Sunday Night" is set to the original Joan Jett song, "I Hate Myself for Loving You." She recorded the track with her longtime producer Byron Gallimore at Martina McBride's Blackbird Studios in Nashville. The video was shot at Universal Studios Orlando.
- Hill said, "It really is an honor to be asked back to do the Sunday Night Football open again. It's been fun to film and everyone at NBC has made me feel like a part of their family. I'm looking forward to the season."
- Hill became the voice of Sunday Night Football in 2007.
- She is currently working on a new album which is due out in 2010.
Q. Who was the only CMA female vocalist of the year to hail from another country?
A. Olivia Newton-John
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TODAY/NBC 7:00AM (ET)
OUR SONG: BRAD & JANA MATES/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
OUR SONG: JAMIE O'NEAL & RODNEY GOOD/GAC 12:30PM (ET)
THE TOP 20 MY FIRST VIDEO COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Chuck Wicks, Emily West
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 10:30PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." went gold in 1968.
- Pam Tillis became a member of the Grand Ole Opry cast in 2000.
- Charley Pride recorded the Number One hit, "Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone," in 1969.
- Jamie O'Neal married recording engineer Rodney Good in 2000.
- Billy Currington went to Hawaii in 2007 to begin therapy for anger issues related to the abuse he suffered from a stepfather in childhood. The abuser was actually the subject of Currington's first hit, "Walk A Little Straighter"
- Rascal Flatts lead singer Gary LeVox and his wife, Tara, welcomed their first daughter, Brittany Kay, in Nashville in 2000.
- LeAnn Rimes' version of "How Do I Live" earned a gold single in 1997.
- Alan Jackson went double-platinum for the first time with his Don't Rock The Jukebox album in 1992.
- John Denver recorded "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" at the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles in 1974 in his first night of concerts that become the album An Evening With John Denver.
SHIA LABEOUF DATING CO-STAR? Shia LaBeouf is reportedly dating his Wall Street 2 co-star, Carey Mulligan. The New York Post reports that the pair was spotted kissing and cuddling over drinks in New York City last weekend. A witness says that Mulligan hid her face after realizing that she and LaBeouf were being watched. A source told People magazine, "They looked happy."
LISA MARIE PRESLEY SUED BY NANNY: Lisa Marie Presley's former nanny has filed a lawsuit against the celebrity spawn, claiming she was forced to work seven days a week without receiving overtime pay, food or rest breaks. Presley refuted the claims, telling TMZ.com, "Ms. White's self-entitlement became more and more severe as she became exposed to the various 'perks' she was given on the job." Presley says that White was paid $650 a day, had chefs and other staff at her disposal, in addition to her own guest house on the property where she would sleep and take "many breaks."
ANNA PAQUIN ADDRESSES PREGNANCY REPORTS: Anna Paquin addressed the false pregnancy reports that have been circulating, telling Extra earlier this week, "My uterus is really flattered that everyone cares. But sorry, no occupants." The actress recently became engaged to her True Blood co-star Stephen Moyer.
PHYLICIA RASHAD DROPS 35 POUNDS: Phylicia Rashad, best known as Claire Huxtable from The Cosby Show, has lost 35 pounds in the last eight months. The 61-year-old, who signed on as the new Jenny Craig spokesperson last December, said in a statement, "The most rewarding thing about reaching my goal weight is that I feel so much lighter. There's just an overall sense of well-being. And there's the increased energy as well. It's nice to have people say you look nice. Who knew losing weight could be so much fun?" her first commercial for Jenny Craig begins airing on August 29th.
ED WESTWICK REPORTEDLY FILMING GAY KISS FOR 'GOSSIP GIRL': Gossip Girl will feature a man-on-man kiss this fall. Sources confirmed to EW.com that star Ed Westwick will engage in a kiss with another guy during episode six of the upcoming season. The website claims that the lucky guy will be Neal Bledsoe, who will play NYU's head of freshman affairs.
KIM KARDASHIAN REPORTEDLY PRODUCING NEW REALITY SHOW: Kim Kardashian is moving to the other end of reality television. The socialite, who is featured on E!'s Keeping Up With the Kardashians, will reportedly executive produce a new, unscripted series about her friend, publicist, Jonathan Cheban. An insider told the New York Post, "It's a docu-series that follows Jonathan and the world of celebs and entertainment p.r."
REP SAYS ROBIN WILLIAMS WON'T PLAY SUSAN BOYLE: Robin Williams' rep says that the comedian has no plans to play Susan Boyle in a possible biopic about the Scottish singing sensation. Although the U.K.'s Telegraph quoted Williams as having said, "I've been asked if I want to play Susan in the movie. I think she's incredible," his rep told MSNBC's The Scoop that the item is untrue.
ELIZABETH BANKS TO STAR WITH RUSSELL CROWE? Elizabeth Banks is reportedly in talks to star opposite Russell Crowe in Paul Haggis' upcoming drama, The Next Three Days. The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the film is based on the 2008 French thriller Pour Elle about a man who "sets out on a desperate mission to save his wife after she's arrested and convicted for a murder she claims she didn't commit."
SALMA HAYEK AMONG ALMA HONOREES: Salma Hayek and Oscar De La Hoya are among the honorees at next month's ALMA Awards, which celebrate Latino achievement in entertainment. The Associated Press reported that other celebrities who will be recognized include Javier Bardem, John Leguizamo, Penelope Cruz and Rosario Dawson. The show will air on ABC and will be hosted by George Lopez and Eva Longoria Parker. Performers include David Archuleta, Nelly Furtado, Selena Gomez, Sean Kingston and Pitbull. To see all the honorees click here: http://tinyurl.com/kkpy54
'TRUE BLOOD' STAR TAKES NEW VAMPIRE ROLE: True Blood star Stephen Moyer is not afraid of being typecast, as he's just taken a role in the upcoming "vampire-centric" adaptation of Priest. Variety reports that Moyer won't actually play a vampire in the film, rather his character is described as "the mortal brother of the protagonist." The film will also star Paul Bettany, Cam Gigandet, Maggie Q and Karl Urban.
PAULY SHORE HEADED FOR REALITY TV? Pauly Shore might be headed to television. The New York Post reports that Adopted, which follows Shore's efforts to adopt an African child, is among the shows that London-based Shine Group has picked up for international distribution.
JON GOSSELIN WANTS TO QUIT REALITY SHOW
Jon Gosselin just wants to be normal. The reality dad complained to Usmagazine.com on Monday (August 24th), saying, "I wish I had a 9 to 5 job instead of the nightmare I'm living. This is 24/7. I don't even want to do taping for the show anymore."
- Gosselin explained that he only hits the town doing promotional appearances and has his life filmed by cameras to make ends meet. Speaking outside his Pennsylvania home, the 32-year-old said, "I have two houses and eight children to take care of and I need to work."
- Later in the day, Jon donned a T-shirt that read "Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies" while TLC cameras filmed him and his children selling lemonade for charity.
JESSICA BIEL IS THE MOST DANGEROUS CELEBRITY ONLINE
Jessica Biel is the most dangerous celebrity to search for on the web. A study by security technology company McAfee Inc. found that internet searches for the actress are more likely to lead to online threats such as spyware and viruses than searches for any other celebrity.
- The company explained that fans seeking out Biel online have a one-in-five chance of going onto a website that could damage a computer. McAfee exec Jeff Green said, "Cybercriminals are star watchers, too. They latch onto popular celebrities to encourage the download of malicious software in disguise."
- Other "dangerous" celebrities -- in the order of their threat -- include Beyonce, Jennifer Aniston, Tom Brady and Jessica Simpson.
- The star most likely to lead to infection last year was Brad Pitt.
PAULA ABDUL TO HOST VH1'S DIVAS LIVE
Paula Abdul will host this year's VH1 Divas show. After weeks of speculation about what her post-American Idol gig will be, Abdul announced Monday (August 24th) night on Twitter, "Hi guys! im really excited 2 announce ill b hosting this year's "Vh1 Divas"! The show will be live on Sept 17th @ 9 pm EST."
She added, "This year's VH1 Divas show will honor Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Jordin Sparks, Leona Lewis and Miley Cyrus- I am so excited!!"
- The show will air live from the Brooklyn Academy of Music Howard Gilman Opera House in New York.
- Abdul recently pulled out of an appearance on ABC's Ugly Betty and has since been replaced by 3rd Rock From the Sun star Kristen Johnston. Of the casting, Johnston told Entertainment Weekly, I've always considered myself a poor man's Paula Abdul."
2ND CONTESTANT FROM U.K. TALENT SHOW GOING VIRAL
Another contestant on one of Simon Cowell's U.K. talent shows is on his way to global stardom. After Cowell deemed Danyl Johnson's performance on Saturday's (August 22nd) X factor "the best first audition I have ever heard," nearly two million people have watched him sing the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friend" on YouTube.
- Like they did with Susan Boyle, the British press has been digging into Johnson's background and have discovered that he's a schoolteacher who has been in two failed boy bands and had auditioned for X Factor three times in the past.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the audition here: http://tinyurl.com/ngj8zv
NEIL PATRICK HARRIS GUEST JUDGE FOR A.I.
Neil Patrick Harris reportedly served as a guest judge during American Idol auditions in Dallas on Tuesday (August 25th). E! News reports that the How I Met Your Mother star was the latest in the string of celebrities to fill Paula Abdul's vacant chair alongside Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi.
- Harris has had experience on Broadway, but the majority of his noteriety comes from acting on screen.
- Other guest judges named for this season include Katy Perry, Joe Jonas, Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige and Shania Twain.
I have a new email address!
Flagers.... Just wanted to let you know I have a new email address. Please shoot me an email so I can email you back! (I'm teaching Tyrone how to email too!)
This is my niece Alissa and I at Lake Mohave last weekend, after the storm on Saturday morning. We took the Pontoon and Sea-Doos out to our favorite cove, then it started raining hard for about 2 hours. So, we stuck it out and the rest of the day was incredible! We water skied, ate, fished and had a blast the rest of the day!
See you on line and on the air every day 3pm-7pm on the Flag!
Craig & Tyrone
TODAY ONLY AT THE BHC PAPA JOHN'S
SAY KFLAG WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER AND GET HALF OFF!!! SO HAVE LUNCH WITH PAPA JOHN'S AND SAVE!!!
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- A U.S. scientist says that we are just months away from creating artificial life.
- Miss Venezuela won the Miss Universe pageant over the weekend.
- Lindsay Lohan's Hollywood Hills home was broken into again. Last time was in May.
- Apple's Snow Leopard--it's next operating system--goes on sale THIS FRIDAY!
- Ryan Jenkins, the reality show contestant sought in the killing of his ex-wife hunted Monday, ended in a suicide in a remote Canadian motel room.
- Sheryl Crow has sold her entire music catalog of songs to a publishing company for $10 million.
- Actress Milla Jovovich married director Paul W.S. Anderson at their Beverly Hills home in an outdoor sunset ceremony on Saturday.
- "One Tree Hill" actor Antwon Tanner has pleaded guilty to selling more than a dozen Social Security numbers for $10,000.
- The latest date announced for Michael Jackson's burial at Hollywood Hills is Thursday, September 3rd at 7pm.
- After months of denying that there was anything going on, LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian have been seen in public as a couple.
- The thing between Kate Hudson and Alex Rodriguez continues. She followed him to the Bay area last week when the Yankees took on Oakland.
- French hunk Gilles Marini has traded "Sex and The City" for "Brothers and Sisters." The actor, who played Kim Cattrall's naked stud next door neighbor in the first Sex & The City movie, heads to the Sunday night drama on ABC.
- A total of 33 advertisers, including Walmart, Clorox and Sprint, have pulled their commercials from the Glenn Beck show after Beck called President Obama "a racist."
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Jason Aldean tops the country charts this week with "Big Green Tractor" after only 14 weeks. This is the second consecutive Number One hit from Aldean's Wide Open CD and the third chart-topper of his career.
- Aldean said, "Back-to-back number one's...I'll never get tired of the way this feels! I have so much to be grateful for this year. A big thanks goes to everyone at my label and all my friends at radio, who continue to prove that if we give 'em something worth playing, they'll be there for us. You guys rock!"
- The debut release from Wide Open, "She's Country," topped the charts last year.
Reba McEntire will perform her new single, "Consider Me Gone" on NBC's hit summer series, America's Got Talent, on Wednesday (August 26th) at 9 p.m. ET. Five more acts joining the Top 20 will be revealed live during the show.
- "Big Green Tractor" is downloaded more than 50,000 times per week.
- It also continues to be the second best-selling ring tone in all genres with an average of 30,000 per week.
- McEntire's new studio album, Keep On Loving You, was released on August 18th.
- Her lead single, "Strange," became her second consecutive Top 10 single of 2009. The first was her duet with Brooks & Dunn, "Cowgirls Don't Cry."
Kenny Chesney added a surprise show to his Sun City Carnival tour in Bloomington, Illinois on September 17th. Tickets to the concert sold out in just three minutes on Saturday (August 22nd). That same day, Chesney played to more than 49,000 fans at Ford Field in Detroit.
- Of the last-minute arena show, Chesney said, "I've always wanted to do a college town tour beyond the SEC, but by the time school gets back in session, we're usually done and long gone. You know, there's nothing like that feeling of going back to start another year... All the unknowns, all the promise, all the fun you know you're going to have and the things you can't imagine you're going to learn. For me, going back to school - as much as I hated the summer ending - was always such a great time. I think it's great that this year, we can plug into that..."
- The Sun City Carnival tour wraps on September 19th at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis.
- Chesney will play an intimate show at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square on September 15th.
Lady Antebellum members Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott and Dave Haywood celebrated their very first Number One hit, "I Run To You," with a party at Nashville's famous Loveless Cafe on Monday (August 24th). The trio tells us the shindig was the official celebration, but they spent an extended period of time reveling in the feat for weeks after the song topped the charts. "(Charles) We definitely lived it up for about two weeks after we found out. We were out on the road on the Kenny Chesney tour and needless to say we were on the high of the Number One. We kind of let the party roll for a couple weeks there. (Dave) Lots of cake and beer. (Hillary) Cake and beer. Kenny was so great, too. He actually bought gifts for us for our first Number One. (Charles) Miranda (Lambert) made a cake for us. It was really cool, man!"
Kenny gave Dave and Charles watches, while Hillary received a necklace in a famous "little blue box" from Tiffany's.
Lady Antebellum received the news of their first Number One at a time when they really needed a mood lift, Hillary tells us: "Two tires blew out on our trailer, and we were literally on the side of the road for five hours the day that we got the call that the song went Number One, so God finds a way to keep you humble! That's what I say (laughs)."
- Lady Antebellum play their last show on Kenny's Sun City Carnival tour on Sunday
Jack Ingram lets fans in on what he's been working on for the past couple of years on Tuesday (August 25th) with the release of Big Dreams & High Hopes. The 11-song CD is the followup to Ingram's 2007 release, This Is It, so Ingram tells us he more than ready for his fans to hear some new stuff. "I'm excited! It's been two-plus years and a whole lot's happened in between This Is It and now -- the ACM Award, there's been three or four hit singles that have come and gone -- and so, it's exciting for me to put out a record no matter what, but especially at this time in my career when so much has happened in between records that I'm very excited to see who's interested, you know? Who's buying in?"
- Ingram will spend release day in New York City doing 215 radio interviews in a 24-hour span. In addition to seriously promoting the new project, Ingram is attempting to set a new Guinness World Record for this feat. The current record is held by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy with 72 interviews.
- Fans can tune in and watch Ingram attempt the new record on CMT.com. The website will have live video and audio of this event as it happens beginning at 8 a.m. ET.
Shania Twain is relaxing in Canada with family and a few friends, including Frederic Thiebaud, the estranged husband of the woman who's affair with Mutt Lange ended both Twain and Thiebaud's respective marriages last year.
According to People.com, Twain and Thiebaud have been spotted at Twain's lakefront cottage jet skiing, playing with the children, including Twain's eight-yeard-old son, Eja (ASIA), and "sharing some tender moments."
Both Twain and Thiebaud have been wearing rings on their ring fingers, but Twain's rep told People, "They are not engaged and they are not married."
Twain will post a new video on her official website on Friday (August 28th), which is her 44th birthday. A source close to Twain says she'll address her relationship with Thiebaud in a personal letter that will accompany the video.
- Twain will be the fourth judge during American Idol auditions on August 30th and 31st in Chicago.
Newcomers Love And Theft release their debut album, World Wide Open, on Tuesday (August 25th). As a thank you to fans who are among the first to purchase the new CD, members Stephen Barker Liles, Brian Bandas and Eric Gunderson are prepared to offer a little something extra. Target, Walmart and Best Buy will all have different limited edition versions of World Wide Open. The personally autographed signature edition can be found in Target stores; Wal-Mart and walmart.com will offer a special code to download three demo/acoustic versions of the band's songs; and Best Buy's World Wide Open CDs will contain a poster of Love And Theft inside the package.
Online outlets will also offer up some Love And Theft bonuses. At iTunes when you download the full album you will receive two previously unreleased bonus tracks. Amazon will offer up a bonus track to fans as well.
- While most new acts name their debut album after themselves, Love And Theft told us they had a very valid reason for not doing that. "(Eric) The main reason actually is because Bob Dylan has already released an album called Love And Theft and we wanted to avoid any confusion. None of us really wanted to have a self-titled first album, so this was a good excuse not to have one, and then the first track on the album, World Wide Open, kind of sets the tone, I think, for the album. (Brian) We definitely feel like that's where we're at. The opportunities before us are just (Stephen) . . . endless. (Brian) Are endless, yeah."] SOUNDCUE
- Love And Theft's debut single, "Runaway," is a Top 20 hit on the country charts.
Miranda Lambert's "Revolution At The Ryman" concert will draw a full house next month when she gives a live preview of her upcoming CD, Revolution, from top to bottom. The sold out show will take place on September 24th. The Revolution CD will be released on September 29th.
- Lambert's new single is called "White Liar." It's the second release from Revolution.
- Lambert continues to tour with Kenny Chesney. She has plans to headline dates this fall and winter in support of Revolution.
- Revolution will be Lambert's third album.
- She wrote or co-wrote all but three of the 15 cuts on the album.
Q. What artist was born Cristina Claire Ciminella?
A. Wynonna Judd
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
INVITATION ONLY: REBA McENTIRE/CMT 12:00PM (ET)
CMT CRIBS/CMT 1:00PM (ET)
Jason Aldean, Paula Deen, Jamie O'Neal
CMT CRIBS/CMT 1:30PM (ET)
Charlie Daniels, Craig Morgan, Dierks Bentley
OUR SONG: BRAD & JANA MATES/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
OUR SONG: JAMIE O'NEAL & RODNEY GOOD/GAC 8:30PM (ET)
TAVIS SMILEY/PBS (check local listings)
- Henry Paul (Blackhawk) (60)
- Jo Dee Messina (39)
- Billy Ray Cyrus (48)
- Regis Philbin (host, Live! With Regis & Kelly, America's Got Talent) (78)
- Monty Hall (Let's Make a Deal host) (88)
- Sean Connery (actor, The Untouchables, The Presidio, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, The Hunt For Red October; played James Bond in Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever, and Never Say Never Again) (79)
- Albert Belle (former Major League Baseball outfielder) (43)
- Tim Burton (director, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands, Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman) (51)
- Claudia Schiffer (supermodel) (39)
- Tom Skerritt (actor, Alien, Contact, Picket Fences) (76)
- Rachael Ray (Food Network host, 30 Minute Meals, $40 A Day, Inside Dish With Rachael Ray) (41)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Olivia Newton-John debuted on the charts with "Let Me Be There" in 1973.
- Charlie Daniels' "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" topped country and rock charts in 1979.
- The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band charted their first Number One country single, "Long Hard Road," in 1984.
- Chuck Wicks made his Grand Ole Opry debut in 2007.
- Trisha Yearwood collected a gold album for Where Your Road Leads in 1998.
- Sammy Kershaw earned his first gold album, Don't Go Near The Water, in 1992.
MELANIE GRIFFITH HEADS TO REHAB: Melanie Griffith has checked into Cirque Lodge, a rehab facility in Utah. The actress's publicist Robin Baum told Star magazine, "She is there to reinforce her commitment to stay healthy. This is part of a routine plan that was designed between her and her doctors years ago." However, a supposed insider counters that the rehab stint is actually a bid to save her marriage to Antonio Banderas. The source said, "The reason Melanie checked in was her husband was demanding that she get clean and sober. He told her that if she didn't get the help she needed it would be the end of their marriage." Star reports that the 52-year-old actress has battled addictions to drugs and booze since she was a teenager.
JENNIFER ANISTON AND GERARD BUTLER FUEL ROMANCE RUMORS: Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler continued to fuel romance rumors after they were seen "hand and hand" at a trendy hotel this weekend in New York City. A source told People magazine, "Jen and Gerry went out on Saturday night," adding that they "had cocktails and ... They were hand in hand." Another insider revealed that the two -- who are currently filming The Bounty Hunter -- had dinner together before hitting the hotel hot spot.
BRAD PITT DIDN'T INSULT TOM CRUISE FILM: Brad Pitt did not call Tom Cruise's Nazi movie Valkyrie "ridiculous," despite a quote attributed to him in the German magazine Stern. After word of the supposed diss spread around the internet, Pitt's manager told People magazine that not only was the quote "inaccurate," but "Brad has never even seen Valkyrie." Pitt has recently been doing press for his own Nazi film, Inglourious Basterds, which topped the box office last weekend.
CRYPT ABOVE MARILYN MONROE SOLD FOR $4.6 MILLION: The Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery crypt above the one in which Marilyn Monroe's body is kept was sold for $4.6 million. The Associated Press reported that an eBay auction for the space was help with bidding starting at $500,000. Monroe was laid to rest at the cemetery in 1962.
SCREENWRITER PLEADS GUILTY TO VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER: Oscar-winning screenwriter Roger Avery pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter and drunken driving last week for a crash that killed a passenger in his car. The Hollywood Reporter announced the 43-year-old Pulp Fiction scribe's plea, adding that remains free on bail until his sentencing next month. Authorities say that Avery was drunk during the incident last January when he crashed into a telephone pole, killing a passenger and injuring his wife
CANADIAN POLICE REPORTEDLY IDENTIFY RYAN JENKINS'S COMPANION
In the wake of Ryan Jenkins' apparent suicide, investigators turned their initial investigation to a female companion who reportedly checked the VH1 reality contestant into the Canadian motel where his body was found on Sunday (August 23rd). TMZ.com reports that Canadian police held a press conference on Monday (August 24th), saying that they've identified the mystery woman but will not reveal her identity.
The authorities explained that they do not feel she is a public threat nor are they appealing for her to come forward. The added that she could only be charged as an accessory after the fact to crimes committed in Canada -- not to the murder of Jasmine Fiore, for which Jenkins was wanted.
- When presented with a picture, the manager of the motel where Jenkins was found hanging initially told TMZ.com that he was "100% sure" that the mystery woman in question was Jenkins's ex-girlfriend Paulina Chmielecka. Cops denied that Chmielecka was the woman they've indentified and her agent told the website, "There's no way it can be her because on Friday she was doing a fashion show and Saturday she was filming a cooking show."
FIORE'S LOVED ONES REACT TO SUICIDE
Meanwhile, Fiore's mother, Lisa Lapore and a former boyfriend, Robert Hasman, appeared on the Today show Monday to talk about Jenkins' death. Hasman admitted, "I was, I was happy that Ryan... that he killed himself. I really don't know how I feel right now. I have mixed emotions."
Last week an arrest warrant was issued for Jenkins for the murder of Fiore, who was found dead on August 15th, her mutilated body stuffed in a suitcase that was found in a dumpster. Her teeth and fingers had been removed, forcing investigators to identify her through a serial number on her breast implants. Jenkins, who she had married earlier this year, fled to his native Canada after her death where he evaded authorities for a week before his body was found by a motel staffer.
VH1 CANCELS JENKINS SHOWS
In other news, VH1 announced on Monday that they are canceling I Love Money 3, the second VH1 reality show in which Jenkins is featured. The network had already stopped airing Megan Wants a Millionaire, which brought Jenkins his initial fame.
CHECK IT OUT: See more of the interview with Lapore and Hasman: http://tinyurl.com/kvjuzt
KATE GOSSELIN GOING ON 'LARRY KING LIVE': Kate Gosselin is scheduled for an interview with Larry King on Tuesday (August 25th) night. Entertainment Tonight reports that the TLC reality mom will sit down with King for a primetime exclusive interview on CNN.
ROBIN WILLIAMS TO PLAY SUSAN BOYLE?? Robin Williams is reportedly considering channeling his Mrs. Doubtfire persona again if a film about Susan Boyle makes it to the big screen. The actor is quoted by the Daily Star as having said, "I've been asked if I want to play Susan in the movie. I think she's incredible. That clip of her singing on Britain's Got Talent was extraordinary. So inspiring. It was quite a shock when she began to sing. I saw some other clip of her singing 'Cry Me A River' a few years ago. It was incredible. She's got a really great voice."
KRISTEN JOHNSTON TAKING PAULA ABDUL ROLE ON 'UGLY BETTY': Kristen Johnston will be taking a role on Ugly Betty originally intended for Paula Abdul. Entertainment Weekly reports that the former 3rd Rock From the Sun star will play the recurring role of Helen, Mode's new office temp. Abdul's participation reportedly fell through because of her long list of contract demands. Johnston commented on the casting, telling EW, "I've always considered myself a poor man's Paula Abdul."
DOUG REINHARDT REPORTEDLY DESPERATE TO GET ON 'THE HILLS': Doug Reinhardt is reportedly desperate to get back on The Hills. The New York Post reports that Paris Hilton's boyfriend, who was once featured as Lauren Conrad's love interest on the reality show, has been "begging MTV producers for a contract." A source revealed that cast members were recently in Atlantic City "laughing about how Doug can't get a part on the show." The insider added, "Doug keeps calling MTV, but they don't want him."
HULK HOGAN IS PITCHMAN: Hulk Hogan has a new job. TMZ.com reports that the reality star and former wrestler is now the pitchman for GuaranteedLowerPropertyTax.com. The website features an ad with Hogan front and center.
ESTRANGED WIFE CALLS EDDIE CIBRIAN LIAR,CHEATER AND HOME WRECKER
Eddie Cibrian's estranged wife Brandi Glanville is slamming the actor after he stepped out with his supposed girlfriend, LeAnn Rimes. Glanville, who recently separated from the father of her two children, told Us Weekly, "Eddie is a compulsive liar, cheater and a home wrecker. And he has been an absentee father."
- Rumors of an affair between Cibrian and Rimes surfaced after they filmed a Lifetime movie that aired earlier this year. Rimes separated from her husband of seven years prior to being spotted with Cibrian around Los Angeles last weekend.
- While Cibrian defended himself earlier this month, saying that he is a "great father...placed in an unfair fishbowl," Glanville countered, "Eddie's displays of poor taste have hurt our two children. Eddie may just end up drowning himself in that 'unfair fishbowl.'"
CHECK IT OUT: How to get revenge on a cheating spouse: http://tinyurl.com/np4jrh
DANCING WITH THE STARS' PAIRINGS REVEALED
The official list of pro-celeb pairings for the upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars was announced Monday (August 24th) on Good Morning America. Previous champ Julianne Hough is taking the season off to focus on other career endeavors, making room for dancer Anna Demidova, who won last season's professional dance contest.
Ashley Hamilton commented on his partner, Edyta Sliwinska, admitting, "My partner is a bigger celebrity than I am."
The ninth season kicks off on September 21st.
The complete list of pairings is as follows:
- Mya, singer, and Dmitri Chaplin
- Melissa Joan Hart, actress, and reigning DWTS champ Mark Ballas
- Michael Irvin, former Dallas Cowboy, and Anna Demidova
- Ashley Hamilton, actor, comedian, singer-songwriter, and Edyta Sliwinska
- Aaron Carter, singer, and Karina Smirnoff
- Kathy Ireland, former supermodel-turned-businesswoman, and Tony Dovolani
- Debbie Mazar, actress, and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Natalie Coughlin, U.S. Olympic swimmer, and season 1 champ Alec Mazo
- Louie Vito, snowboarder, and Chesie Hightower
- Chuck Liddell, ultimate fighting champ, and Anna Trebunskaya
- Donny Osmond, singer, and Kym Johnson
- Tom DeLay, former congressman, and two-time Dancing champ Cheryl Burke
- Macy Gray, singer, and Jonathan Roberts
- Joanna Krupa, model and actress, and season 7 champ Derek Hough
- Mark Dacascos, Iron Chef personality, and Lacey Schwimmer
- Kelly Osbourne, reality star, and Louis Van Amstel
MINDY AND KARI BLAME EACH OTHER FOR NUDE VIDEO LEAK.
Mindy McCready is upset that she's been dragged into the nude video scandal centering on Eric Dane, his wife Rebecca Gayheart and former Miss Teen USA Kari Ann Peniche and claims that Peniche -- her former roommate on Celebrity Rehab -- is the one responsible for leaking the footage onto the internet.
The country singer told Access Hollywood, "I did not want to be dragged into all this. I did not want to be a part of this."
- Peniche claimed that McCready stole a hard drive from her computer that contained the video. McCready however, says her ex-roommate is "evil personified -- she is evil in human form. She will hurt anyone she can to make money."
- Peniche, on the other hand, claims that she wasn't even aware that the video was released until Dane contacted her. She told E! News, "I just got a call from Eric. He was obviously upset, asking me something about Mindy, and that's when I was like, 'I should go home and check to see what this is about.'"
- Meanwhile, Dane and Gayheart spent the weekend in Santa Barbara, where a witness told People magazine the actress "looked tired and upset." A source said that the couple took the trip because "they really wanted privacy." The pair spent the weekend going for walks with their dogs, picking up coffee and relaxing.
CINDY CRAWFORD HAS CELLULITE??
Iconic supermodel Cindy Crawford admits that she too has flaws. The 43-year-old tells the September issue of Redbook, "I have cellulite. I admit it. But sometimes I just say, 'Screw it, I am going to wear a bikini.'"
Crawford says that she doesn't let the media's appetite for gossip effect how she presents herself. She stated, "I think I look good for my age. I am not 25; I am 43. That feels like a big pressure, especially when the National Enquirer is dying to get a picture. I am so aware that I don't want to change the way I live because of that kind of attention. So you say, 'Screw it. I am wearing a bikini, and I am not putting on a cover-up.' You just brace yourself for a bad picture."
- She added, "People get excited that they're meeting the Cindy Crawford from the Playboy spread 13 years ago, and I am a mother of two now. I have to check in with myself. It's good to have an awareness of the outside pressure; I can't let it get to my core. I love my life."
CHECK IT OUT: See Crawford in a bikini: http://tinyurl.com/letrm2
ALEC BALDWIN RETRACTS PLAN TO CHALLENGE JOE..
Alec Baldwin is not planning to challenge Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman in the 2012 election, his spokesperson said on Monday (August 24th). After the actor told Playboy magazine that he was considering a Senate campaign since he has "no use" for Lieberman, the politician responded on CNN's State of the Union, saying "You know, make my day."
- He added, "I must say that I respect Alec Baldwin as an actor and as a comedian, and if he wants to run, that's his right."
- When Baldwin's rep Matthew Hiltzik spoke out on Monday, he added that the actor doesn't want to see Lieberman leave the Senate because there are so few moderate Republicans in that branch of government.
CHECK IT OUT: See Lieberman on State of the Union: http://tinyurl.com/nqzrsp
YOUR PERSONALITY COULD BE MAKING YOU SICK
(Sun) Personality traits are no trivial matter. Recent research shows they play a key role in your susceptibility to certain serious diseases.
- Type A personalities are competitive, aggressive, impatient, argumentative and are more prone to high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Cheerful can shorten your life according to a study at the University of California found that upbeat people are good candidates for accidents because they underestimate life's dangers. Also, they have more difficulty coping when things go wrong.
- Shy folks are vulnerable to viral infections because their immune systems aren't as strong as those of more outgoing types, report scientists at the University of California.
- Anxious much of the time, watch out for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, say researchers at Northern Arizona University. Stress hormones are the culprit.
- Pessimists have a 19% higher chance of dying prematurely than the general population. They're also more likely to get Parkinson's disease, says Dr. James Bower, of the Mayo Clinic.
- Impulsive people are at high risk for ulcers because stress triggers more acid production in their stomachs. They also tend to have bad diets in general.
- Extroverts are more likely to be obese. One the other hand, they have lower rates of heart disease and recover fast from all types of illness.
- Tight-lipped people, who suppress their true feelings, are setting themselves up for cancer and heart disease, say Harvard researchers. These people have high levels of stress hormones and compromised immune systems.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- 35-year-old skin clinic worker Jason Pfeiffer, who is employed by Michael's dermatologist Dr. Arnold Klein, claims he was Michael Jackson's secret lover at the time of his death.
- Islam's fasting month of Ramadan began on Saturday in most of the Arab world.
- Lou Ferrigno was shocked and hurt when he wasn't announced as one of the names in "Dancing with the Stars!"
- Mickey Rourke says that "Iron Man 2" is much better than movie #1.
- Meghan McCain will guest host on "The View" September 9.
- Paula Abdul's agent says the rumor about talks being underway for her return to "American Idol" are not true.
- Sting's daughter Coco says that whole thing about her dad and the tantric sex was just a joke started by Bob Geldorf.
- Starbucks is raising the prices on their complicated drinks and lowering them on the simple ones, like a regular cup of coffee.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
News of Brooks & Dunn's impending split hit the internet before Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn were ready to let the industry and fans know. Kix tells us that while the decision to break up had been made, they did not intend to put that information out right away. "We didn't. Apparently someone found out, but there was only four of us that knew and we were just wantin' to do a press release and tryin' to make that announcement the right way, but what the heck! I mean, it's out and it's good. The only thing that's bad about that it bloggers get a hold of it and rumors start goin' and everybody comes up with their own what fight went down and who did this and that and I just didn't want a bunch of junk floatin' around. I'm kinda proud of our career and I don't like it tarnished by people who don't know what they're talkin' about."
Ronnie takes responsibility for the break up, telling us he quit the duo in the midst of arguments over which songs would be included on their next studio album.
Apparently, the decision over album material has been a source of friction for Brooks & Dunn for the last several years. They've largely been writing and recording songs for the projects separately, Brooks explains: "We've both been makin' solo projects kinda every record, and then we come back and I'll sing on his and vice versa and we get together before it's a Brooks & Dunn CD, but it's not like we do everything together and we grow together. We continue to grow and make music and as things start goin' in different directions it gets harder to pull it back and go, 'Okay, this is mine and this is yours.' That's when you just finally go, 'Let's just work in different directions if that's what we're gonna do,' and after 20 years that's kinda what its come down to and it's not necessarily a bad thing."
Brooks & Dunn may be coming to a close, but you'll likely be hearing solo projects from both Ronnie and Kix.["There's plenty of music at his house and there's plenty of music at my house and it's hard to believe at some point those things aren't gonna turn into projects."
Only a month after announcing their respective separations, LeAnn Rimes and actor Eddie Cibrian took their relationship to the links in Valencia, California on Thursday (August 20th). The couple played a round of golf while paparazzi snapped away to document their first public outing together.
- The duo's final project, #1's . . . and then some, will be released on September 8th.
On Saturday (August 22nd), Rimes and Cibrian attended a Kings of Leon concert at The Forum in Los Angeles.
In other Rimes news, the singer was reportedly involved in a misdemeanor hit-and-run on Thursday evening in Brentwood, California. She allegedly hit a car while driving in her neighborhood. The singer was questioned at her Los Angeles home that evening.
- Her publicist said, "There was a routine police investigation into this incident, and a police report was filed. We are confident that this matter will be resolved shortly and LeAnn will be cleared."
- US Weekly first broke the news of Rimes' affair with Cibrian back in March.
- The two met on the set of their recent Lifetime movie, Northern Lights.
- Rimes and Sheremet's Nashville home is currently on the market.
Rodney Atkins made a special trip to Greenville, Tennessee last week to perform for 70 kids at the Holston United Methodist Home for Children. This is the same home from which Atkins was adopted as a baby. The singer was on hand to participate in the official ribbon cutting ceremony in which the "Rodney Atkins Youth Home" was named and dedicated. Atkins' parents, Margaret and Allan Atkins, were on hand to celebrate the occasion.
- Atkins said, "This is absolutely one of the greatest things of my life. This isn't a career achievement. This is a life achievement. Just to have the opportunity to try and positively affect those kids' lives is wonderful. I am so thankful for the folks at Holston Home and their hard work. They absolutely are some of the greatest people alive. It's really hard to express how grateful I am to be a part of Holston's mission."
- The Holston Home tour with Atkins will air on CMT Insider on Saturday (August 29th) and Sunday (August 30th).
- Atkins is a spokesperson for the Greeneville-based home which serves children unable to live with their families.
- He is also the celebrity spokesperson for the National Council For Adoption.
Jo Dee Messina has added a series of fall dates to her Music Room Series tour. The 14-date run will kick off on October 23rd in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Tickets for most shows are currently on sale now.
- Music Room Series features Messina and just three musicians doing stripped-down versions of her hits, favorite covers and songs she's written but not yet recorded.
- Messina said, "Taking requests -- especially for new material -- and answering questions from the audience made it a blast, because literally every show was different. I never knew what people were going to say, but that's part of what made it so much fun."
- Messina is offering a free six-month "Music Room Series" fan club membership to everyone purchasing a ticket for the tour. Membership offers exclusive access to concert recordings, photos, backstage videos and more.
- Messina is currently in the studio working on a new album.
- Her last big radio hit was in 2005 with "My Give A Damn's Busted."
Miley Cyrus was reportedly seen kissing The Last Song co-star Liam Hemsworth. A New York actor by the name of Alex Emanuel tells People magazine that on Wednesday (August 19th) Cyrus drove Hemsworth to the Nashville airport where they were "full-on making out" just before he said goodbye.
"She jumped into his arms and threw her arms around his neck and kissed him and leaned back and he was dipping her," the witness says, "It was like a scene out of an old movie where the guy's getting on a train and they're saying their goodbyes."
- On August 14th via Twitter, Miley revealed the two were hanging out off screen, saying, "I kinda want to go see 'The Time Traveler's Wife' but I think I'll just sit around and eat sushi and watch "Liar Liar" with Liam :)"
- Just before this story broke on Friday (August 21st), Miley maintained on Twitter, "I do not have a boyfriend."
CHECK IT OUT
Willie Nelson will perform a MySpace Music "Secret Show" on Tuesday (August 25th) at Charley's bar in Maui, Hawaii. The free concert will feature special guest Band of Horses.
- The concert coincides with the release of Nelson's new album, American Classic, which hits stores on Tuesday. The CD is his first album of jazz standards since his 1978's Stardust. American Classic features duets with Norah Jones and Diana Krall.
- The Cure, Lily Allen, Fall Out Boy, Gnarls Barkley, The Offspring, Neil Diamond, and Slayer have all performed MySpace Music's Secret Shows.
Q. Both members of Montgomery Gentry hail from what state?
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 10:00AM (ET)
THE VIEW/ABC 11:00AM (ET)
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 12:30PM (ET)
CMT CRIBS/CMT 10:00PM (ET)
Jason Aldean, Paula Deen, Jamie O'Neal
CMT CRIBS/CMT 10:30PM (ET)
CHELSEA LATELY/ETV 11:00PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Jeannie C. Riley's "Harper Valley P.T.A." entered the country chart in 1968.
- Joe Diffie and Debra Diffie divorced in 1994.
- Radney Foster filed for divorce from Mary Springs Scarborough Foster in 1994.
- Waylon Jennings was arrested on a charge of conspiracy and possession of cocaine in 1977.
- Hank Snow recorded his last Number One hit, "Hello Love," in 1973.
- Johnny Paycheck recorded the Number One hit "Take This Job And Shove It" in 1977.
MILLA JOVOVICH MARRIES: Milla Jovovich married her longtime love, filmmaker Paul Anderson, on Saturday (August 22nd) at their Beverly Hills home. People magazine reports that the supermodel/actress wore a dress she'd designed for the special event. Patrick Dempsey and his wife were among the guests in attendance as the couple of seven years made it official. The newlyweds have a 20-month-old daughter named Ever Gabo.
ANNA PAQUIN NOT PREGNANT: Anna Paquin is not pregnant. Speculation swirled about the newly-engaged actress's condition after she was spotted wearing a baggy dress last week, but her rep put a stop to the rumors. The 27-year-old recently became engaged to her 39-year-old True Blood co-star, Stephen Moyer.
BRODY JENNER SPENDS BIRTHDAY IN HOSPITAL: Brody Jenner spent Friday (August 21st) -- his birthday -- in the hospital undergoing surgery. His rep told People magazine, "Brody Jenner unfortunately spent the morning of his 26th birthday having his appendix removed." Despite the hospitalization, the rep added, "He is resting with family and friends and expected to have a speedy recovery."
'ONE TREE HILL' ACTOR PLEADS GUILTY TO CRIME: One Tree Hill actor Antwon Tanner pleaded guilty on Friday (August 21st) to selling more than a dozen Social Security numbers for $10,000. The Associated Press reported that the 34-year-old is expected to receive as much as a year in prison when he is sentenced on November 20th. He was charged in April for the crime -- which included the the sale of 16 Social Security numbers and three bogus Social Security cards. Tanner plays the character Skills in the CW series.
AMANDA SEYFRIED AND BOYFRIEND SPLIT? Amanda Seyfried has hinted that her romance with Dominic Cooper is over. The news comes in the wake of rumors that Cooper -- who met the actress when they starred together in Mamma Mia! -- was romancing a co-star in a London theater production. Seyfried is quoted in the British Allure as having said, "Things end. Things end. And we're in a weird business. We're surrounded by just strange people, strange influences."
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP-UP
Director Quentin Tarantino had his best box office opening ever this past weekend as his World War II drama/fantasy Inglourious Basterds debuted at Number One, earning $37.6 million. The movie's opening weekend gross soared well past that of Tarantino's previous high mark of $25.1 million for 2004's Kill Bill: Vol. 2. The movie, starring Brad Pitt as the leader of a group of Jewish commandos involved in a plot to kill the Nazi leadership at a movie premiere, was also seen as a do-or-die gamble for the struggling Weinstein Company, which backed the picture.
Last week's chart-topper, the sci-fi sleeper District 9, dropped just 49 percent at the box office and earned $18.9 million to finish in second place. With a total box office of $73 million, the movie looks set to cross the $100 million mark despite no stars and a first-time director. And with a budget of only $30 million compared to $72 million for Basterds, its likely to be far more profitable than the Tarantino flick.
- The week's other debuts were Spy Kids director Robert Rodriguez's Shorts, which arrived at Number Six on earnings of $6.6 million, and the comedy Post Grad, which tanked at Number 10 with receipts of just $2.8 million.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- AUGUST 14-16
- Inglourious Basterds, $37.6 million
- District 9, $18.9 million
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, $12.5 million
- The Time Traveler's Wife, $10 million
- Julie & Julia, $9 million
- Shorts, $6.6 million
- G-Force, $4.2 million
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $3.5 million
- The Ugly Truth, $2.9 million
- Post Grad, $2.8 million
HEATHER LOCKLEAR IN TALKS FOR 'MELROSE PLACE': Heather Locklear is reportedly in talks to reprise her role as Amanda Woodward on the upcoming CW remake of Melrose Place. Although the actress's rep and the network both declined to comment on her possible return, People magazine confirmed that Locklear is in negotiations with the program. Original series stars Laura Leighton, Thomas Calabro, Josie Bissett and Daphne Zuniga have all signed on for the remake, whose new cast includes Ashlee Simpson-Wentz.
JOHNNY DEPP IN VAMPIRE MOVIE? Johnny Depp is reportedly going to star in a new vampire movie franchise based on the cult television series, Dark Shadows. The Sunday Express reports that the actor and his frequent collaborator, director Tim Burton, have teamed up for the project, which will see Depp star as the lovelorn vampire Barnabas Collins. He is quoted as having said, "I was obsessed with the character as a child. It triggered my earliest desire to become an actor."
CANDY SPELLING TO GET OWN SHOW? Candy Spelling is reportedly planning her own television show. Tori Spelling's mother -- who is a vocal critic of her daughter's reality show -- told RadarOnline.com "Yes, there is," going to be a show, but added, "I wouldn't do a reality show." When informed of her mother's statement, Tori told RadarOnline.com that her mom having a show would be "great," adding, "I wish her the best."
DAKOTA FANNING REPORTEDLY STARRING IN 'WIZARD OF OZ' SEQUEL: Dakota Fanning will reportedly star in an upcoming sequel to The Wizard of Oz. British newspaper Express reports that the movie would be "darker and more action-packed" than the original. Producer Basil Iwanyk explained, "It will be set in the present day and feature Dorothy's granddaughter." Co-producer Todd McFarlane added, "You've still got Dorothy trapped in an odd place, but she's much closer to the Ripley character from Alien [Sigourney Weaver] than a helpless singing girl."
ROSEANNE BARR LAUNCHES CHAZ BONO 'SITCOM' ON WEBSITE: Roseanne Barr launched "Cher and Chaz," a web sitcom on her site Roseanneworld.com, in which she imagines what it's like at home for Cher as her transgender daughter Chastity turns into a son. The New York Daily News calls the show "hilarious."
MEGAN FOX HOSTING SNL SEASON PERMIERE
Megan Fox will reportedly host the 35th season premiere of Saturday Night Live next month. A source told Life &Style magazine, "Megan is psyched to have gotten this opportunity. She has a lot of surprises in store for the audience. This is the perfect opportunity for her to show off her comedic skills, as she's launching her new movie Jennifer's Body [on Sept. 18]."
- The magazine adds that Fox is already filming a digital short with Andy Samberg.
- The season premiere is scheduled for September 26th.
REPORTS OF 5 FILMS IN "TWILIGHT" SAGA??
Reports that there will be five films -- instead of the previously announced three -- in the Twilight saga are untrue. Fifteen-year-old Eclipse cast member Boo Boo Stewart caused a frenzy after telling Access Hollywood, "I heard there's going to be three more movies. Eclipse, Breaking Dawn and there should be one more."
Summit Entertainment, which produces the movies, clarified, "We appreciate our young actor's enthusiasm for the franchise and his role, but his comments about the number of films were unfortunately uninformed and not accurate. However, the fans should rest assured that we're working with Stephenie Meyer to bring Breaking Dawn to the big screen."
- Stewart also retracted his comment, telling RadarOnline.com, "There was some false communication, so far it's just Eclipse that's coming out."
- Stewart plays wolfpack member Seth Clearwater in the film.
LINDSAY LOHAN'S HOME WAS BURGLARIZED
Lindsay Lohan's Hollywood Hills home was burglarized over the weekend. The actress's mother told People magazine that TMZ.com's initial report of the incident is "true," explaining, "The safe was ripped out of the wall, and the door was off the hinges and door handles removed. Bags, shoes and jewelry were taken too. Thank God she wasn't home."
Dina Lohan said that after the break-in -- which occurred while her daughter was at a birthday party -- Linday is "okay, but upset." She said that Lindsay was already planning to move, telling People, "Ali and Linds just left me in New York, and left people in charge to pack, as we are moving her to a safer place."
- A police source told the magazine on Sunday (August 23rd), "All we can confirm is that we are investigating a possible break in at the residence and we still have officers on the scene. We got a call shortly before 7 a.m. this morning and it's still under investigation. No arrests have been made."
- Meanwhile, Lindsay's dad, Michael Lohan, told TMZ that he believes the burglary was "an inside job" because the people that work for Lindsay failed to turn the alarm on. He said, "I am not going to put up with individuals violating my family. Lindsay is a charitable, generous person that always gives. This is a personal violation and it has got to stop."
- Lohan's house was also broken into in May. Surveillance footage showed intruders attempted to enter the residence but appeared to have been scared off one an alarm went off.
RYAN JENKINS FOUND DEAD
VH1 reality star Ryan Jenkins was found dead in a hotel in British Columbia, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said on Sunday (August 23rd) night. Police sources told TMZ.com that it appeared he "took his own life." His body was found by hotel staff.
Canadian officer Sgt. Duncan Pound said at a press conference, "The hotel staff had gone in to check on him... it would be speculation to say how long he had been in there." Law enforcement sources added that he was found hanging.
An arrest warrant had been issued for Jenkins, who appeared as a contestant on Megan Wants a Millionaire, and who reportedly went on the run after allegedly killing model Jasmine Fiore.
Fiore -- whom he married earlier this year -- was found dead last weekend in a suitcase found in a dumpster. Her fingers and teeth had been removed, forcing investigators to identify her through a serial number on her breast implants.
Officers have said that in the days before he went missing, Jenkins was spotted looking "cool, calm and collected" and showing no signs of remorse, if in fact he did kill Fiore.
VH1 MAY CANCEL SECOND JENKINS SHOW
VH1 has already ceased airing Megan Wants a Millionaire. They've yet to confirm if I Love Money 3, in which Jenkins also appears, will be scrapped as well. However, Rock of Love's Lacey Conner, who was also set to star in the series, blogged last week that it had indeed been canceled.
Are Workplace Romances Acceptable?
Workplace romances could be on the rise, according to a new CareerBuilder-Harris Interactive survey. Forbes.com reports that a new poll found four out of 10 workers say they've dated a co-worker at some point in their careers, while 3 in 10 say they married the person they dated at work. At the same time, more people are going public with their relationships. CareerBuilder found that 72 percent of workers who have office relationships are public with them, compared with 46 percent five years ago. Helaine Olen, co-author of Office Mate: The Employee Handbook For Finding And Managing Romance On The Job, said, "The office has turned into the village of the 21st century. Where else do you spend 12 hours a day?"
Still there's concern about the possibility of a boss-empoloyee affair turning into a sexual harassment suit. That's why some dating experts warn against a supervisor-supervisee relationship. Attorney Kathleen McKenna said that kind of relationship is "criminally stupid. You might as well put a sign on your forehead that says, 'Kick me here.'" In that case, some suggest even signing a written contract agreeing that the relationship is consensual. Others say the senior person in the relationship should inform human resources. And when it comes to office love, some suggest that it's best to date someone from a different department.
FIRST DATE LIES THAT ARE OKAY (YourTango.com)
- You were the first person I noticed in the room at Katie's party. This probably isn't true -- but that's OK. Why? Because it feels good to be flattered. Because it feels good to flatter others. And because we know it wouldn't be nearly as romantic to say: "I noticed your friend Tom first and he was really hot, but then you started talking to me and I realized you were cute, too."
- My family is all right, my job is OK, and life's pretty good. Maybe, in fact, your mom gets on your nerves, your co-workers are unsophisticated, and you wake up at least once a week in a grumpy mood. But a first date is not the time to bring this up. Nobody likes a complainer. And if you're willing to complain a lot to someone you barely know on a first date, imagine what message you're sending off about what awaits on the second.
- I truly believe that the end of the world will be marked by violent battles between robots and zombies, and let's face it, the robots will win. It's OK to tell ridiculous stories. In fact, we encourage it. Just be sure to bring your date along for the ride ("I can tell by the look in your eyes that you're on the side of the zombies").
- I've been curious about that movie, too. Alright, maybe you haven't really thought much about this summer's big blockbuster until the very moment your date brought it up. But you like your date. You'd like to see your date again. And in fact, you usually do enjoy movies. What does it hurt to drop hints that you'd like to spend more time with your date, at the movies or elsewhere?
- It was nice meeting you. Some dates are duds. But that doesn't mean you have to be cruel. At the end of the evening, thank the date for the nice time (even if it was the most boring night of your life). Be courteous. And then say goodbye.
DID YOU KNOW?
SUMMER MAKES PEOPLE DRINK MORE: Acording to Psychology Today, people tend to drink more during the summer. Because social drinkers may drink more than usual during summertime festivities like weddings, BBQs, 4th of July parties, beach parties and outdoor concerts, they may feel that they can "let go" and drink the way that they really want to drink without holding back. For high-functioning alcoholics (HFAs) that typically may have tried to hide their drinking or drank privately at home before or after an event, this may be an opportunity to feel that they will fit in with these heavy drinking scenes. Those in denial of the HFAs problem may also blame the event or the "open bar" at the wedding as the reason the HFA drank too much. In fact, some feel that a wedding is not considered a quality wedding unless there is an open bar. The irony is that the more alcohol is served, the less that the guests focus on the event and the more "forgettable" the occasion becomes.
DO REALTATIONSHIPS HAVE SOUNDTRACKS? The 500 Days Of Summer co-writer told the LA Times that "every relationship has a soundtrack," and that said soundtrack holds clues to whether or not a couple will last. Commenting on the article, Gawker.com wrote, "While movie soundtracks certainly convey mood and emotion through carefully selected tunes and lyrics, a real relationship soundtrack is often made up of accidental sentimentals, the kinds of songs that come into your life at random times in order to shape a specific memory."
iPOD INDICATES PERSONALITY: Scrolling through someone's iPod can tell you a lot about their personality, a new study claims. Researchers from Cambridge University found jazz lovers are creative, rock fans are rebellious, classical music aficionados are intellectual and pop listeners are sociable. And by stating a preference for a musical style, many of us appear to use it as a 'badge' to tell people about our personality and values. Dr Jason Rentfrow said, "This research suggests that, even though our assumptions may not be accurate, we get a very strong impression about someone when we ask them what music they like."
RECESSION CAUSING MANOREXIA: Sky News reports that financial fears and the recession are contributing to the rise in the number of men suffering from anorexia. The British network reports that at least 10 percent of adults diagnosed as having an eating disorder are male. Professor Hubert Lacey, who runs the eating disorder unit at St George's Hospital in London, has seen the number of male referrals double in the past few years. He said, "These are just my observations and because the numbers are so small, statistics can be misleading but I think there has been a cultural change. The recession is a factor because when jobs are under threat, people think more about how they present themselves."
Girls rule, boys sneeze? Women may be better than men at fighting off disease, a study in Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences reports. In research on mice, scientists found that estrogen in the female rodents blocks production of a protein that slows the immune system's response to infection. Females may have stronger defenses, a possible quirk of evolution that protects mothers to be lead study author Maya Saleh, Ph.D., assistant professor of medicine at McGill University. (Women's Health)
There is a quick acting miracle cure for weariness that won't cost you a dime. It's called a nap. "What other 26 minute investment gives you a 54% productivity boost?" asks Mark Rosekind, a former Stanford University sleep researcher who now heads sleep consulting firm Alertness Solutions in Cupertino, California. Rosekind hit upon these figures by studying pilots who took brief naps, 26 minutes on average, between flights and compared their performance with that of their peers who didn't. So it seems working nappers Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, and Albert Einstein were on to something. Even very short periods of shuteye can help keep you sharp. Researchers at Germany's University of Dusseldorf recently found that subjects who took 6 minute catnaps showed markedly better short-term memory than those who stayed awake.
Dermatologists are warning against the use of harmless looking back henna tattoos, which are very popular at summer carnivals, open air malls and vacation hot spots. The black henna often contains a darkening agent that can cause serious skin reactions, including eczema, blistering and even permanent scarring. "Perhaps the most alarming issue we are seeing with black henna tattoos is the increase in the number of children, even as young as 4, who are getting them and experiencing skin reactions," says Dr. Sharon Jacob, a dermatologist at the University of California, San Diego. "Parents mistakenly think they are safe since they are not permanent but nothing could be further from the truth." Dr. Jacob says if you do get a henna tattoo, make absolutely sure it does not contain the darkening agent paraphenylenediamine
It's not just a sitcom stereotype. Men really are more prone than the fairer sex to memory problems as they age, causing missed appointments, misplaced keys, and more. The culprit: mild cognitive impairment. Men 70 and up are more than 50 percent likelier to suffer from MCI than women of the same age, reports a study from the Mayo Clinic. to prevent such forgetfulness, get your guy and yourself moving. Middle aged adults who exercise five to six times a week, like brisk walking, are far less likely to develop MCI later in life.
Drinking green tea, and including it in your usual mouth cleaning routine, can wipe out bad breath, say researchers at Pace University. The study recommends gargling with green tea and mixing it into your toothpaste after finding that it kills bacteria that cause foul mouth odor. The researchers say you can also eliminate bad breath by rinsing your mouth out with green tea before and after brushing your teeth. (Globe)
Staying close to family and friends, keeping your mind active and having a sense of humor are keys to healthy aging, reveals a recent poll of centenarians. WebMD reports how folks who reached 100 say it's also important to exercise regularly, stay as independent as possible and keep in touch with your spirituality if you want to be healthy, happy and live to a ripe old age. They also recommend keeping up to date with modern trends. (Globe)
If your friends and family get fat, chances are you will, too. In fact, a recent study shows that "obesity contagion" works even when loved ones live far away. "We were stunned to find that friends who are hundreds of miles away have just as much impact on a person's weight status as friends who are right next door," said Dr. James Fowler, one of the investigators. Researchers say fat is contagious because knowing individuals who pack on the pounds changes your idea of what is acceptable weight. "If you're just a little bit heavy and everyone around you is quite heavier, you will feel good when you look in the mirror," explained Dr. David Katz, director of Yale University's Prevention Research Center. (National Enquirer)
It's not the long hours at work that can kill a marriage it's the long hours at home, reveals a recent study. "The idea that working long hours is the death kneel of marriages is not only overblown, but wrong," says researcher Mark Wooden. According to statistics, marriages in which the husband has a parttime job are twice as likely to end in divorce as those where the man has a fulltime job. "Sometimes it's having too much time that's causing stress," explains Wooden, a professor at Australia's Melbourne University. Another study at the University of South Australia concludes that women who opt for part time work have demands on them increased and lack the fulfillment of totally committing to their family or their job. Explains researcher Barbara Pocock: "They have the worst of both worlds in terms of career advancement and time with their families."
THE NASCAR REPORT FOR AUGUST 24TH, 2009
SPRINT CUP - SHARPIE 500
Kyle Busch finished first at Bristol Motor Speedway. This win was Busch's fourth this season and his second time at Bristol in 2009. Busch moved up two positions to 13th, 34 points behind 12th-place Matt Kenseth.
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
- Denny Hamlin cut down a left front tire for the second caution
- A.J. Allmendinger lost some brake parts
- Bobby Labonte wrecked
- Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick got caught up in a wreck. Also involved was Jimmie Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Kevin Harvick, Sam Hornish Jr., Casey Mears, & Reed Sorenson.
- Tony Stewart's #14 stalled during the previous caution, went behind the wall to diagnose the issue, luckily for Tony, he's already clinched a spot in the chase.
- Juan Pablo Montoya had a tire going down and had to hit pit road after a restart
- Michael Waltrip and Clint Bowyer wrecked and the race was red flagged with 8 laps to go
Sprint Cup Sharpie 500
Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, Tennessee
August 22nd, 2009
10. Matt Kenseth
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
8. Jimmie Johnson
7. Kurt Busch
6. Ryan Newman
5. Denny Hamlin
4. Greg Biffle
3. Marcos Ambrose
2. Mark Martin
NATIONWIDE SERIES - FOOD CITY 250
David Ragan held off Roush Fenway Racing teammate Carl Edwards to win the Food City 250, giving him his second career NASCAR Nationwide Series victory.
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
- Points leader Kyle Busch was clipped and put in the wall by Chase Austin in the #07 who was trying to get out of the way.
- A big points night for Carl Edwards who finished second, and Kyle Busch's troubles putting him 28th on the day.
- Roush-Fenway dominated this race with 3 cars in the top 10, winner David Ragan, Carl Edwards 2nd, and Matt Kenseth 5th.
Nationwide Series Food City 250
Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, Tennessee
August 21st, 2009
10. Michael McDowell
9. Paul Menard
8. Michael Annett
7. Clint Bowyer
6. Jason Leffler
5. Matt Kenseth
4. Kevin Harvick
3. Brad Keselowski
2. Carl Edwards
This Saturday afternoon go to Long John's Silver's Ft. Mohave Location for free food!
Hey Flagger's head to Long John's Silvers in Fort Mohave between 5pm-7pm this afternoon and help finish the float for the Regatta and get free food and other great prizes!!!
THE FIRST 25 FLAGGERS AT LJS/TACO BELL FT. MOHAVE TODAY AT 5PM GET MOVIE TICKETS
Be one of the first 25 Flagger's at 5pm to show up at Long John Silver's Fort Mohave location who drop by to say hello to Tyrone will get movie tickets! Come out and help me and CP build a boat for the Regatta and get GREAT prizes like Kflag Tee Shirts and free entries into the Regatta as well as food coupons!!! DON'T MISS IT!
HOW TO APOLOGIZE
(Maxim) Pawn her Precious Moments figurines again? Jane Dryer explains the art of faux remorse:
- Don't fight -- I've made up my mind you blew it, and nothing will change that. Endure my rant about what a jerk you are, without interrupting, and I may just wear myself out and drop the whole thing. If not, fake regret by trying to figure out why According to Jim is a hit; you'll appear sad and lost, and I'll think you actually feel bad.
- Look the part -- Like most girls, I'll believe anything if you look me directly in the eye. Don't have the stones for that? Act as though you want to make eye contact, but you're just too ashamed of what you've done. Bonus points if you get your chin to quiver a little. I'll be positively aching to end your misery.
- Don't dwell -- Say the magic words only once, calmly and clearly. Repeating yourself is pathetic, annoying, and a constant reminder of your boneheadedness. "I'm so sorry I drop-kicked your Chihuahua" is all I need to hear. Swallow your pride, resist the urge to be sarcastic, and think about make-up sex. I already am.
- Stick to specifics -- I'll believe you're sincere if you promise not to repeat the thing that pissed me off. Now is a good time for legal loop-holes. Saying, "Next time I won't drink so much at your sister's wedding that I goose your aunt, punch the groom, and puke on the cake," leaves you plenty of other ways to screw up.
- Tear up -- If I don't seem convinced, try crying. Put your face in your hands and think about something truly sad, like the state of professional hockey. I'll be so horrified I'll do anything to make you stop. The last time this happened, I sent the pitiful bastard out drinking with his friends, and we never spoke of it again.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Simon Cowell called in police after Internet hackers stole a new Leona Lewis song from his studio computers and leaked it to the Internet.
- Watch for a video ad inside Entertainment Weekly magazine next month. A paper-thin video screen will show video adsfor Pepsi and CBS.
- The new People magazine has pictures from Alyssa Milano's wedding all over, including the cover.
- 33-year-old freelance journalist Chima Simone has apologized for calling a "Big Brother" houseguest of Lebanese descent, Russell, a terrorist before she was kicked off the show.
- Just three days left to get your bid in on that crypt space directly above Marilyn Monroe! Last time I checked, the bid was at $4.5 million.
- "So You Think You Can Dance" choreographer Alex Da Silva has been arrested and charged with sexually assaulting four women.
- Hyundai is offering their own "Cash for Clunkers" program up in Canada, paying upwards of $1,000 for a clunker.
- A Seattle woman has filed a federal lawsuit against magician and entertainer David Copperfield, saying she was sexually assaulted while she was a guest on his private island in the Bahamas two years ago.
- Billy Joel is selling his homes in the Hamptons (he has two) for $35 million! These are the ones he bought when he was first married to the wife he's now divorcing and were bought from the late "Jaws" actor, Roy Scheider.
- Celine Dion is pregnant... with an embryo that had been frozen for 8 years!
MOVIES OPENING TODAY
The new movie Shorts, starring Leslie Mann, Jimmy Bennet, James Spader, Jon Cryer and William H. Macy, opens today (August 21st). Shorts takes place in a small town where every house looks the same and almost every resident works for Black Box Unlimited Worldwide Industries. But everything changes when a wish granting rock falls from the sky. When 11-year-old Toe Johnson discovers the rock and when others get hold of it the town swarms with wishes gone amok but trouble really begins when the adults get their hands on the rock. Shorts was directed by Robert Rodriguez.
-Games 3D opens in theaters today (August 21st). X-Games is a look behind the scenes of the 2008 X Games with footage of Shaun White (skateboarding), among others. X-Games was directed by Steve Lawrence.
- Shorts is rated PG and has a running time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Shaun White says shooting in 3D was a different experience: "I've seen similar shots but having it in 3D was like, it was like I was there, I have the same kind of feeling that I get when I do it on the ramp, like, I had this like anxiety of Oh, I gotta land there!"
The new movie Post Grad, starring Alexis Bledel, Zach Gilford, Michael Keaton, Carol Burnett, Rodrigo Santoro and J.K. Simmons, opens today (August 21st). Post Grad follows Ryden Malby (Bledel) who, after graduating college, is forced to move back into her childhood home. The stress of finding a job, dealing with her eccentric family and finding the right guy leaves her little time to figure out where her life is truly heading.
- X-Games 3D will be limited to theaters equipped with 3D screening rooms.
- X-Games 3D is rated PG.
The highly anticipated new movie from Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds, starring Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Eli Roth and B.J. Novak, opens today (August 21st). Inglourious Basterds focuses on Lieutenant Aldo Raine, played by Pitt, and his group of Jewish soldiers, known as The Basterds, who engage in targeted acts of retribution against the Nazis. After teaming up with with German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark, the Basterds go on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich.
- Post Grad is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Gilford, best known for his role as Matt Saracen on Friday Night Lights, plays Bledel's love interest.
- Inglourious Basterds is rated R and has a running time of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
THE NASCAR REPORT FOR AUGUST 21st
KYLE BUSCH TAKES TRUCK WIN AT BRISTOL!
Kyle Busch ended Ron Hornaday Jr.'s five-race winning streak, capturing Wednesday night's O'Reilly 200 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
- Busch took the lead on Lap 124 after a lengthy side-by-side battle with Jason White and was a comfortable 2.721 seconds ahead of runner-up Matt Crafton by the time the checkered flag appeared.
- "It's a fun place to race," Busch said after collecting his third truck win of the season. "I knew we would come here with a fast truck; we've been fast every time we've come here. ... It's good to be back, finally."
IN OTHER NEWS
Mark Martin's performance at Michigan this past Sunday epitomized what the No. 5 team has faced all season. When the team is on, they are one of the most unbeatable teams on the track. Martin's series-high four victories easily confirms that premonition
Red Bull Racing Team is pleased to announce that Brian Vickers has signed a multi-year extension to his contract. Vickers will continue to drive the No. 83 car under the leadership of crew chief Ryan Pemberton. "The team is continuing to prove that it is a consistent force week in and week out," said Jay Frye, Vice President and General Manager of RBRT. "Brian has been here from the beginning and he continues to be a vital piece of the puzzle with regards to our ultimate goal of building Red Bull Racing into a consistent contender."
NASCAR On TV This Weekend
All action takes place at Bristol Motor Speedway (All Times Eastern)
- Food City 250 final practice is on today at 9:00am. (SPEED)
- Sharpie 500 practice is on today at 12:00 pm. (SPEED)
- Sharpie 500 final practice is on today at 2:00pm. (SPEED)
- Food City 250 qualifying is on today at 4:00pm. (SPEED)
- Sharpie 500 qualifying is on today at 5:30pm. (ESPN2)
- Food City 250 is on today at 7:30pm. (ESPN2)
- Sharpie 500 is on tomorrow at 6:30pm. (ESPN2)
DID YOU KNOW?
CHECK IT OUT -- http://myhusbandisannoying.com/ -- Tiffanie Wong of Brooklyn Heights recently started a blog to tell the world of her husband's annoying habits. The 36-year-old told the New York Daily News, "Obviously, I love the guy - I wouldn't have married him if I didn't. He just has annoying traits."
DO YOU KEEP A BACK UP LOVER? According to MSNBC's Dr. Gail Saltz, finding a replacement lover before you've even broken up with the one you have, means that you've abandoned the notion of trying to fix the problems in your relationship, while also denying yourself the time once you've split to figure out why things went wrong or consider what to look for in your next relationship.
"BUMPAHOLICS" OBSESSED WITH HAVING BABIES: Dr. Shari Lusskin, director of reproductive psychiatry at NYU Langone Medical Center told the New York Daily News, "[Bumpaholics] are women who have a tremendous drive to get pregnant repeatedly, sometimes without fully appreciating the consequences. They run the gamut from women who are personally and culturally inclined to have larger families all the way to women who have a pathological need to have more children." Psychiatrist Carole Lieberman told Women's Health, "Women who are obsessed with being pregnant are literally filling an emptiness inside of them, just as alcoholics and drug addicts use substances to fill a psychological void."
See a comedy on your next date. Couples who reminisce about funny experiences they've shared are more satisfied with their partners than those who recall cracking up alone, found Appalachian State University psychologists. A funny memory serves as an inside joke, which creates cohesiveness between two people, says study author Doris Bazzini, Ph.D. Need material? She advises couples to use amusing nicknames for each other that are based on a humorous recollection. This way the mood boosting power of the memory can be used often.
The race to make contact with technologically advanced ETs is reaching a fever pitch. SETI the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, is beaming strong radio signals at a number of targeted planets, hoping for a reply. The effort has spawned a debate about what to say when the aliens respond. SETI has polled its members and the answers break down into two main categories. One group wants to welcome the ETs with open arms. The second urges caution, in case they mean us harm. Precise proposals for how to word a greeting indicate that it will take some time to reach a consensus. One space watcher suggested: "This is Earth speaking. We would like to know you. Please reply." A second SETI member was more candid: "Down here, we're all confused." A third reflected a great deal of insecurity at the prospect of meeting an alien being: "Don't kidnap us and poke us. We hate that." (Sun)
Turns out those zealots who nag you to get off the phone when you're on the road are right. According to a study in the journal Human Factors, even if you're calling hands-free, talking on your cell phone while driving can impair you more than being drunk. Researcher monitored 40 volunteers who used a driving simulator while undistracted, using a handheld cell phone, using a hands-free phone, or legally intoxicated. The cell phone talkers were more likely to vary their speed and to rear end another car, and they were slower to hit the breaks than the other drivers. "Talking on the phone requires you to pay attention to the person on the other end" rather than the road, says study coauthor Frank Drews, Ph.D. Turn off your cell in the car so you're not tempted to answer it.
Meanwhile, 40% of couples save their most important conversations for the car, according to Sheilas' Wheels, a British insurance company. Why? There are fewer distractions. And get this -- 20% of women have so little face-to-face contact with their partners that they primarily use text messages to communicate. Post-It notes are another favorite way for 10% of women to communicate with the husband, while one in 14 uses e-mail.
SECRETS" OF LARGELY OBESE PEOPLE (Men's Health)
- They use larger plates. When offered two plate sizes, 98.6 percent of those with the highest BMIs took the larger of the two plates to the buffet. A bigger plate tricks your eye into thinking you're not eating as much, and stuffing more food onto your plate -- and into your mouth. Use a smaller plate, get a smaller belly.
- They eat while looking at food. 41.7 percent of those with high BMIs took seats that overlooked the buffet, instead of sitting in a booth or facing in a different direction. The site of food tends to make our minds think we have more work to do, eating-wise. Keep your food stored in the fridge or the pantry, not out on the countertops.
- They eat with maximum efficiency. While Chinese buffets offer chopsticks, 91.3 percent of obese patrons opt for forks. That just makes it easier to shovel in the food!
- They clean their plates. Of those patrons who were heaviest, 94 percent cleaned their plates so there was nothing left. Ignore Mom's advice -- let a little linger.
- They chew faster. Researchers actually monitored the chewing habits of the buffet-goers and discovered that the heaviest 1/3 among them chewed their food an average of 11.9 times before swallowing. The middle 1/3 chewed an average of 14 times, and the leanest 1/3 chewed 14.8 times.
- They dive in. The leanest people in the study typically took a lap around the buffet first, to plot out what they wanted to eat. But the more overweight group charged right in; doing so means you may fill up on some less-appealing items, then have to go back to snag that one nosh you have to have, but missed the first time.
- They skip breakfast. Doing so raises your risk of obesity by a whopping 450 percent!
TATTOO REMOVAL STATS (Harris Poll)
- 14 percent of Americans have tattoos, with one-third of them belonging to the 25 to 29 age group.
- Of that segment, 16 percent say they regret them. That accounts for an astonishing seven million people.
- Around two times a week, Dr. Tatoff, Inc. -- a California-based company -- treats young, recently tattooed people brought in by their unhappy parents for tattoo removal services.
- Removal is expensive, costing about $750 to $1,500, which is around five to 10 times the cost of the actual tattoo.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Brad Paisley celebrated the chart-topping success of his recent single, "Then," during a party in Nashville on Thursday (August 20th). The singer talked about a very special performance he recently did of the song while at the White House. "That was one of my wife's proudest moments, I think, when she got involved with this redneck hick from Tennessee. I don't think she ever saw herself in the East Room of the White House being serenaded, and to be able to do that for me was like, 'For the first time she's probably convinced she didn't make a huge mistake.' That's a great feeling, and that night as she was thinking about when we met or when she fell in love, and here we are at the White House -- pretty wild!"
Paisley said he especially loved being able to dedicate the song to the President and First Lady. "It was like a showcase, you know? It was like when you do these showcases in Nashville and you're trying to get a record deal, and you're presenting these songs for the first time, and to be able to let lyrics really mean something again and for some very, very important people who are probably hearing it for the first time -- if not them then most of their staff. I mean, some of their staff had certainly not heard these songs, so, yeah, it gave it new meaning but also I'm sure she was thinking, 'And I thought I loved you then . . . '"
The Nashville music industry gathered to celebrate the platinum success of Darius Rucker's debut country album, Learn To Live, which has sold more than one million copies. Sales were propelled by his three consecutive chart-topping hits, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It," "It Won't Be Like This For Long," and "Alright."
- "Then" is Paisley's 10th consecutive Number One hit.
Rucker tells us the success of Learn To Live has far surpassed his hopes. "This exceeded any expectations I had for the first record. I thought we made a special record, but I know the business and there's a lot of great records people have made that no one's ever heard, and the business of what was happening at the time with the pop invasion going on -- here comes another pop guy with his country record . . . What are people gonna think about that? But I knew for me that this was like evolution. This was something that I knew I was gonna do."
Rucker adds that because of all those obstacles he is particularly grateful for the success. "For me to be here months after the record came out with three Number One singles and a platinum record in today's economy and today's download society. . . I know how hard it is to have a million-selling record, and I'm just happy for me. I'm extremely happy for (Capitol label head) Mike Dungan, who took a chance when a bunch of his buddies were tellin' him not to sign me and he signed me. Bein' the guy I am I'll just sit back and go, 'Great! Let's sell another million or move on to the next record.' You know, that's just how I feel."
Rascal Flatts just sold their four millionth concert ticket in four years. The recently accumulated concert ticket sales include their two sold-out stadium shows in Chicago and Columbus earlier this summer.
- Rucker continues touring with Rascal Flatts.
- He will perform a free concert on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry on Monday (August 24th), a portion of which will appear on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! on August 27th.
In other Flatts numbers news, their Unstoppable CD has been certified platinum for sales in excess of one million copies. This brings their career album sales to 20 million units in this decade. The band has also amassed 10.5 million digital downloads.
- Unstoppable launched as the group's fourth consecutive chart-topping debut on the all-genre Billboard Top 200 chart as wells as the Top Country Albums chart.
- Their American Living Unstoppable tour continues with shows through October.
Billy Ray Cyrus is unfazed by the pole dance his daughter Miley performed at the Teen Choice Awards, even though it caused an uproar among parents across the country. Regarding the provocative movie, Billy Ray told Access Hollywood, "You know what? I just think that Miley loves entertaining people."
Meanwhile, Miley debuts at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 with her new single, "Party In the U.S.A.." The song is the first from her upcoming album, The Time Of Our Lives, which will be available exclusively at Walmart stores on August 31st. New trio Love And Theft will make their first-ever national TV appearance on Friday (August 21st) when they perform on NBC's Today show. They will play their debut hit single, "Runaway," during the 10 a.m. ET broadcast of the show.
To say the group is excited would be an understatement, as Stephen Barker Liles, Brian Bandas and Eric Gunderson tell us: "(Liles) We know that most bands at our stage don't get to play the Today show, especially (with a) first album like this. (Bandas) We get to bring our band. Our band is incredible, the guys that travel with us, and it's just so high-energy playin' with them. It's like nothin' else. I'm elated. We have no idea what to expect. (Gunderson) We don't know what to expect. (Liles) You better not blow it, Brian. You better not mess up. (Bandas) I'm not gonna sit here and make promises (laughter)."
Kellie Pickler is taking her penchant for shoes and using it to help those less fortunate. The singer has teamed with Soles4Souls and Ladies' Home Journal to collect new and gently worn shoes on Thursday, August 27th before her show at New York City's Madison Square Garden. The drop point for the shoes will be located at entrances to the Garden and will be open from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Love And Theft got their first big break opening shows for Taylor Swift in 2008.
- Their debut CD, World Wide Open, will release on August 25th.
- Pickler said, "I love shoes but they are more than just a fashion statement, they are a necessity and not everyone has access to them because of financial reasons or natural disaster. Whatever the situation, Soles4Souls is there to help and I'm glad to lend my support. Thanks to the wonderful people from Ladies' Home Journal who are volunteering their time to come out and collect the shoes that people are giving."
- Pickler joins her friend Taylor Swift on the Fearless tour for the sold out show at Madison Square Garden.
- Together Pickler and Swift wrote Pickler's recent Top 10 single, "Best Days Of Your Life," which has sold more than 700,000 digital downloads.
- Nashville-based Soles4Souls collects and distributes free footwear to people in need around the world.
- Since its inception, Soles4Souls has distributed more than five million pairs -- currently one pair every 13 seconds -- to people in 125 countries, including Honduras, Romania, Thailand, The Sudan and the United States.
Q. What year did Johnny Cash chart his first Number One hit, "I Walk The Line"?
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TODAY/NBC 7:00AM (ET)
Love And Theft
CMT TOP 20 COUNTDOWN/CMT 11:00AM (ET)
Jeff Foxworthy, Bucky Covington, Heidi Newfield
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 1:00PM (ET)
Rodney Atkins, Charlie Daniels
REBA: ON THE SET OF STRANGE/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 5:30PM (ET)
Ryan Newman, Josh Turner
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
INVITATION ONLY: REBA McENTIRE/CMT 9:00PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Eddy Arnold's "Hep Cat Baby" charted at Number Three in 1954.
- Waylon Jennings made his chart debut with "That's The Chance I'll Have to Take" in 1965.
- Patsy Cline recorded "Crazy" in 1961.
- "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" brought The Charlie Daniels Band the only gold single of its career in 1979.
- Lonestar racks up a gold album for From There To Here: Greatest Hits in 2003.
DAVID COPPERFIELD SAYS SEXUAL ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS ARE EXTORTION ATTEMPTS: David Copperfield says that the sexual assault claims filed against him by a 22-year-old fashion model are attempts at "extortion for money, plain and simple." The Seattle woman alleges that the magician assaulted her and threatened while on his private island in the Bahamas. In her claim, she says that after meeting Copperfield at a 2007 performance, she accepted his invitation to the island where he "attacked and sexually assaulted her" and "threatened to kill her." Criminal charges have not yet been filed in relation to the alleged incident.
POLICE INVESTIGATING ERIC DANE NUDE TAPE: The police are investigating the nude tape featuring Grey's Anatomy star Eric Dane, his wife Rebecca Gayheart and former Miss Teen USA Kari Ann Peniche. The LADP confirmed to People magazine that an unnamed source provided the tape to them in July claiming it "contained images that could link celebrities engaging in illegal activity." In the video, the naked trio are seen filming each other as they talk about possible porn names and bathe. At one point Gayheart says that she has to sit down because she's "so high." However, police have said, "No determination has been made as to whether or not the DVD contained any information that could be used for a criminal investigation."
JENNIFER ANISTON - GERARD BUTLER ROMANCE RUMORS CONTINUE: Rumors of a Jennifer Aniston - Gerard Butler romance were fueled after sources on the set of their new film, The Bounty Hunter reportedly say them kissing after the cameras stopped rolling. A source told RadarOnline.com, "We watched them at one point start to hold hands, but she pulled back because she realized people were watching." The insider added, "We saw him give her a little kiss."
SPEIDI CAUSING TROUBLE IN BAHAMAS? Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are reportedly making enemies in the Bahamas ahead of this weekend's Miss Universe Pageant. Sources tell the New York Post, "They're a complete nightmare. Heidi has missed many rehearsals" while "Spencer tried to demand that the hotel pay him to lay by the pool." However, a rep for the couple countered, "It's absolutely untrue. She's been rehearsing in LA five days a week for the show, and Spencer hasn't spoken with the Atlantis."
KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN SHARES HER BABY PREP: Kourtney Kardashian is slowly but surely getting ready for motherhood. The pregnant reality star admitted to People magazine that she "hasn't bought a lot yet," but has acquired a few baby-related items. She explained, "Scott and I went to Barney's and I said to the guy, 'I need a baby gift,' and I bought a cute little cashmere hat. Then we went to Planet Blue [in L.A.], and I was like, 'I need a little cute something cute,' so we picked up some baby shoes." Additionally, "We watch these videos together on some random Web site I found called healthguru.com. They have videos which tell you what to expect, like the size of the baby at different stages, what the baby is doing inside. They're cool. Neither of us have read a book, but we're going to."
MARC JACOBS REPORTEDLY GETTING MARRIED: Designer Marc Jacobs will reportedly marry his boyfriend in Provincetown, Massachusetts this weekend. The New York Post reports that Jacobs and his partner Lorenzo Martone want to be alone for the ceremony, but plan to celebrate with an "after party."
GILES MARINI LEFT OUT OF 'SEX AND THE CITY' SEQUEL: It's unlikely that Giles Marini will be in the upcoming Sex and the City sequel. A rep for the Dancing With the Stars runner-up -- who appeared as Samantha's Malibu neighbor in the 2008 flick -- told E!, "As far as I know, he will not be in the sequel."
EVA LONGORIA PARKER TAKES FIRST SPANISH SPEAKING ROLE: Eva Longoria Parker is set to star in her first Spanish-speaking role. The Desperate Housewives star will appear in the kidnapping-centered film, Day of Grace. Film producer Leopoldo Gout says Longoria Parker's character will be crucial to solving the mystery at the heart of the film. The movie will be shot in Mexico City.
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. NOT JOINING VAMPIRE FILM: Robert Downey Jr. is denying reports that he's going to be Hollywood's newest vampire. Although BloodyDisgusting.com reported that the actor was in negotiations to play Anne Rice's Lestat Du Lioncort in the latest movie adaptation of her Vampire Chronicles, a rep for Downey Jr. told Gossip Cop, "This story is false."
JENNA DEWAN JOINS 'MELROSE PLACE': Jenna Dewan is joining Melrose Place. Starpulse.com reports that the newlywed -- who just tied the knot with Channing Tatum -- will be a part of the CW drama as a "sexy Hollywood studio executive." The show premieres on September 8th.
JENNIFER ANISTON UPSET OVER BRAD COOPER NEW ROMANCE
Jennifer Aniston reportedly feels "rejected and upset" because she thinks that Bradley Cooper ditched her for Renee Zellweger. A source tells the magazine, "She wanted to turn her date with Cooper into something...she honestly feels screwed over." Aniston and Cooper -- who starred together in He's Just Not That Into You -- went to dinner in New York a couple of weeks before he began dating Zellweger.
- The insider claims that Aniston "doesn't see what Renee has that she doesn't."
- Sources say that what attracted Cooper to Zellweger was that, "She just does her thing, has her friends and her life and is cool. She's really happy and doesn't need anyone to feel complete."
- Aniston will be fine, according to her supposed friends, who told the tabloid, "She had a major crush on him and she let him know. He didn't reciprocate. She is fine. She's used to being single and in work mode, and she's used to rejection."
TWILIGT AUTHOR SUED
Twilight author Stephanie Meyer is being sued by a woman who claims that the fourth book in the famed vampire saga is a rip-off of her own work. TMZ.com reports that in the lawsuit filed on Wednesday (August 19th), Jordan Scott alleges that Meyer's Breaking Dawn is a "significant literary departure from [her] early books," explaining that it seems like it was "written by a teenager." Coincidentally Scott was a teenager when she published her vampire-themed novel, The Nocturne in 2006.
- Scott claims the two books "show striking, articulable and substantial similarities in the ... plot lines, themes, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, characters, sequence of events, ideas and other similarities." She is asking for damages and wants to court to impound the Breaking Dawn books that are being sold.
PAULA NOT IN TOUCH WITH AMERICAN IDOL
Despite reports that Paula Abdul is in talks to return to American Idol, her manager told the Los Angeles Times that they have not been in touch with the show. Although it's been reported that the former judge has been angling for a big contract even after announcing her departure, David Sonenberg told the paper that there have been "no discussions whatsoever about 'Idol.' " However, he added that he would "never count anything out"
- As for her future, Sonenberg said, "I can tell you her focus right now is speaking to all the other networks. The only one we haven't talked to, because of recent events, is Fox. ... But perhaps we would be speaking to Fox about shows in the near future."
- Although Abdul has reportedly passed on gigs like Ugly Betty, Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, Sonenberg says that she feels "fabulous" and "free" and is excited for whatever the next step is in her career. He explained, "She was kind of restricted from doing anything she wanted to do, and now she's free to decide."
FAVORITE FLICKS REVEAL PERSONALITY
The kind of flick you choose offers a rare glimpse into your psyche, according to mental health experts. "Movies capture our imaginations and transport us out of our daily lives and into a world where we can forget all our troubles," says psychologist Ernest Van Dusen. "And the kind of film you are drawn to is a vital clue in understanding your personal needs and desires." So what's showing? Choose from one of the following categories, and then read on for a close-up of your personality.
- Fantasy -- If "Lord Of The Rings" is your idea of great entertainment, you're a person with a rich imagination who lives in your head much of the time. People may think you're a bit of a flake, but they're way off the mark. You're just preoccupied with your own thoughts. The select few in your circle of pals appreciate your intellectual gifts and sparkling wit.
- Mystery -- You love to be challenged, and the intrigue and double-crosses in movies like "No Way Out" fit you to a T. You enjoy solving puzzles, pitting your ability to interpret motivations against the writer's craftiness. You're a born leader, often at the forefront of projects both at work and in your community. Others know you are the go-to guy to get the job done with style and panache.
- Science Fiction -- You are endless fascinated with the future, and the far-out worlds in flicks like "Blade Runner" draw you in. If you could, you'd live forever because you hate the thought of missing what comes next. Your interest in tomorrow is reflected in your clothes and your home -- you're sure to have the newest trends in your closet and the latest electronics in your living room.
- Romance -- Just as the characters in "Breakfast At Tiffany's" are fated to be together, you believe there's a soul mate meant for you. A passionate love relationship and a cozy family life are the linchpins of your existence, and you can't be happy without them. Your devotion to your loved ones is legendary, and they return your affection in equal measure. You're a homebody, but not a stick in the mud -- your parties are always a hot ticket.
- Adventure -- You thrive on setting goals for yourself and either meeting or exceeding the expectations of others. Just as Indiana Jones defeated his foes in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with a combination of brains and brawn, you'll use whatever it takes to succeed. You can be a powerful advocate when the project is something that stirs your passions, raising both awareness and donations for causes that fully engage your heart and mind.
Too much clutter cluttering up your life? Here are some tips from Good Housekeeping on what you can toss right now:
- Clothes or shoes you haven't worn in a year. DressForSuccess-dot-org will tell you where to donate business wear to women in need. Or go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
- Old electronics. Before donating electronic equipment, make sure it's functional. To find out how to recycle or dispose of non-working electronics properly, visit EPA-dot-gov.
- Old toys. Donated toys and games should be clean, safe, complete and in generally good condition. If you wouldn't let your kid play with it, it should go in the trash.
- Books. Sell old paperbacks at a yard sale. Give hard-covers to a local library or school.
- Old eyeglasses. UniteForSight-dot-org makes sure used glasses are put to good use in developing countries. Local organizations also accept donations for needy recipients.
Peter Walsh can help us de-clutter the home and help organize our lives. He's a regular guest on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and his book "It's All Too Much and Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" was a NYT bestseller. Peter takes his clutter-busting techniques beyond the physical spaces to tackle the inner spaces: your head, your emotions, and your attitudes. He starts by looking at the big picture of what vision you have for your ideal life. Then, by focusing on six key areas of your life relationships: work, family, finances, health, and spiritual well-being. To book Peter Walsh call Erin Horan at Auritt Communications at 212-302-6230.
DID YOU KNOW?
Within five to seven years, both cash and credit cards and the purse or wallet you carry them in will be things of the past, a panel of banking experts predicts. They'll be replaced by "smart" chips installed in your mobile phone, watch or other similar device. Pilot projects to test the devices are already underway in Hong Kong and Singapore. So far, they only cover low cost transactions, like buying a soda or chocolate bar, but it's just a small step to extend the program to include big ticket items. "Whereas we now have a wallet and a purse, it will be a chip in your phone or your watch or something like that as your access," says Greg Connor, an Australian banking executive involved in the experiment. "The access to credit is still going to be there, but you don't need the card because that's really only a means of identification." (Sun)
Maybe we do need John Conner. Robots with superhuman strength are being tested at the University of Texas and the University of British Columbia. The mechanical men have a layer of artificial muscle stretched over their metal frames. The gel-like substance is made of microscopic carbon nanotubes and can flex in milliseconds when charged with a small jolt of electricity. In their flexed state, the muscles are many times stronger than steel. Apart from creating super strong robots that can lift thousands of pounds, the muscles will have applications in human transplants and bionic limbs. (Sun)
SOCIAL REJECTION CAUSES PHYSICAL PAIN: Researchers have found a genetic link between physical pain and social rejection. The Daily Mail reported that psychologists at the University of California studied the gene responsible for regulating the body's most potent painkillers, known as mu-opioids -- and found that people with a rare variation of the mu-opoid receptor gene, OPRM1, were more sensitive to rejection and experience more brain evidence of distress than those with the more common form.PHOTOSHOPPING YOURSELF? As technology becomes more and more advanced, the Telegraph reports that digital cameras available to the average consumer have features like "smile capture" -- which waits to take the photograph until it recognizes a smile -- and elements of photoshop, that lets you edit pictures on the device.
ARE DOG NAMES OKAY FOR BABIES? Although baby names like Hudson and Max are becoming more popular -- we've been told that some people's first reactions are still along the lines of "that's my dog's name!" -- sparking anger in the new parents. MOVIES MAKE PEOPLE THINK THEY SEE UFOS: Earlier this week, Britain's Ministry of Defense unclassified the details of many of its documented UFO sightings. Among the interesting revelations is that the number of reported sightings jumped from 117 to 619 in 1996 -- which is the year the alien-invasion blockbuster Independence Day was released. This was similar to a sightings surge in 1978, when Close Encounters of the Third Kind ruled the box office.
CHECK IT OUT: Sexlets Gum costs $12 for 15 pieces, and has a bunch of ingredients to "help you rise to the occasion." http://sexletsgum.com/
'FRIENDS' HAS NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON BODY IMAGE: A study reported on by physorg.com found that young women's satisfaction with own body image suffers after viewing ultra-thin TV characters. The study -- which focused on the TV show Friends -- found "people have the tendency to make rapid comparisons of themselves to images on television programs even when they don't think they are being affected." The author added that, "second, when we are reminded that 'real life' doesn't resemble what is seen on TV, and we can look at things with a critical eye, the comparisons become less relevant."
DUODECAPLET MOM LIKELY A HOAX: A 34-year-old Tunisian woman claimed to be pregnant with 12 children is reportedly not expecting duodecaplets after all. The U.K.'s Daily Telegraph reported on Wednesday (August 19th) that doctors suspect she is lying after she refused to undergo a medical examination and is now reportedly in hiding.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
It should come as no surprise that George Strait's new CD, Twang, tops both the all-genre Billboard 200 and Top Country Albums chart this week. Fans scooped up more than 155,000 copies of the album, giving Strait his 13th Number One album debut on the country charts and his fourth on the Billboard 200.
Twang comes 28 years after the release of his debut album, Strait Country, but the "King" of country music tells us he still enjoys the process of recording. "I love making records. It's fun going in the studio. It's fun. The whole process of putting the record together is fun for us, and so I've got a great team, and so I'm just gonna keep doing this as long as I can. That's my plan anyway."
Shania Twain reached out to fans via a video message on her website on Wednesday (August 19th). The superstar promises to give a "small gift of thanks" to fans on August 28th, which happens to be her 44th birthday. Twain, who is sitting in the yard of her Switzerland home with two of her dogs, says the upcoming gesture is in appreciation for the support of her fans over the last year. She said, "You've been really wonderful, thank you so much."
- Strait co-wrote three songs on Twang, including the debut single, "Living for the Night," which he penned with his son, Bubba.
- The song is a current Top 10 hit and climbing.
Twain is referring to last year's split from her husband and producer, Mutt Lange, after Lange's reported affair.
People.com reports that the so-called surprise gift is a "video travelogue" of the superstar's activities since the breakup. An unidentified source said, "It's not new music, but it's a piece that Shania put together of what she's been doing for the last year. It's definitely a totally new side of Shania that no one's ever seen."
According to this source, fans can also expect another personal letter from Twain to appear on her website in the near future.
- Twain will be the fourth judge during American Idol auditions on August 30th and 31st in Chicago.
QUICK LINKS Carrie Underwood is giving back to her hometown of Checotah, Oklahoma. She has established a newly created fund, called C.A.T.S., to help with causes in Checotah and the surrounding areas. C.A.T.S. stands for Checotah Animal, Town, and School Foundation.
- Underwood said, "My hometown is extremely supportive of me and I feel blessed to be able to create something as a way of giving back, to say thank you."
- The C.A.T.S. Foundation will help with general needs and services that directly impact the community. Private resources will fund the assistance.
- Information on the C.A.T.S. Foundation's first donation to the Checotah community will be announced soon.
Justin Moore's current hit, "Small Town USA," was a snapshot of the singer's life just after leaving his small town behind and moving to Nashville to pursue a music career. Moore tells us his homesickness inspired what would later become his first big hit single. "I wrote that song about six-and-a-half years ago when I first moved to Nashville. I believe it was the second song that I wrote when I came to town and I was just an 18-year-old kid missin' Mama's cookin'. I grew up in a town of about 300 people on about 80 acres, so to move to Nashville, I definitely had a culture shock, and I was just missin' home. I wrote the song about that. I thought, 'You know what? There may be some people who can relate to this.'"
- Underwood will be among this year's inductees into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame on September 17th.
- She will release a new album on November 3rd.
- Earlier this year, Underwood became the first country artist in history to achieve 10 Number One singles from their first two albums when "I Told You So" became the fifth consecutive chart-topper from her current Carnival Ride CD.
Moore said the song has evolved to mean different things to different people. "The song has really kind of taken on a whole new thing, you know, with the economy the way it is and our nation strugglin' right now with some things. It kind of became a bigger idea than I ever really wrote the song to be, which is cool. I think that a lot of great songs became great songs because they did become bigger than what they were supposed to maybe be in the beginning, so hopefully it'll keep doin' well for us."
John Rich will join Hank Williams, Jr. and Halfway To Hazard to participate in the "Friends of America" rally. The free Labor Day (Monday, September 7th) concert will be held in Holden West Virgina from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- "Small Town USA" is in the Top Eight on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.
- His self-titled debut album was just released last week.
- FOX personality Sean Hannity and Lord Christopher Monckton, a former science adviser to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, will be speakers at the rally. Rocker Ted Nugent with emcee the event.
- The "Friends of America" rally will be free and open to the public, however attendees must register online at friendsofamericarally.com for a free guest pass.
Q. What two legends recorded the duet "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys"?
A. Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
Nickel Creek, Travis Tritt
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 9:30PM (ET)
Rodney Atkins, Charlie Daniels
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
Ryan Newman, Josh Turner
REBA: ON THE SET OF STRANGE/GAC 10:30PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Deborah Allen's first solo Top 10, "Baby I Lied," charted at Number Four in 1983.
- Johnny Cash & June Carter recorded "If I Were A Carpenter" in 1969.
- Collin Raye's debut album, All I Can Be, was released in 1991.
- Restless Heart's "Bluest Eyes In Texas" rose to Number One on the Billboard country singles chart in 1988.
- Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink" single was released to radio in 2007.
- Elvis Presley's "Way Down" went to Number One on the Billboard country singles chart in 1977
TWILIGHT' CONVENTIONS COMING: Twilight fans can now celebrate their love of the movie series at official fan conventions. Summit Entertainment has announced that a series of Official Twilight Fan Conventions will be held in at least 20 cities across the country beginning as early as this month. The press release announced, "The weekend gatherings will feature on-stage appearances by Twilight celebrities, exclusive footage screenings, panel discussions, Twilight themed parties, musical performances, costume and trivia competitions, auctions, autographing, merchandising, and photo opportunities." For more information, go to http://www.creationent.com/twilight/
JON HAMM AND VANESSA HUDGENS TO STAR TOGETHER: Jon Hamm has signed on to star with Vanessa Hudgens in the upcoming action fantasy movie, Sucker Punch. E! reports that the Mad Men star will play a "mysterious gambling man" named High Roller in the 1950s-set flick about a young girl who faces a lobotomy after being committed to a mental hospital by her stepfather. Other actors lined up for the project include Abbie Cornish, Carla Gugino, Jamie Chung and Jena Malone.
'JON AND KATE' RATINGS CONTINUE TO PLUNGE: The ratings for Jon & Kate Plus 8 continue to decline. The TLC reality show was watched by only three million people on Monday (August 17th) night, down a half a million viewers from the previous week. The audience was less than a third of the record 10.6 million viewers who tuned in to hear the couple announce their split earlier this summer.
'DIRTY DANCING' REMAKE IN THE WORKS: A remake of Dirty Dancing is reportedly in the works. Production Weekly reports that Lionsgate is developing an updated version of the 1987 classic that featured Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey.
RICHARD HATCH SENT BACK TO JAIL: Richard Hatch was sent back to jail on Tuesday (August 18th), shortly after doing an interview with the Today show. The former Survivor winner's sister, Kristin Hatch, told the same program on Wednesday (August 19th) that she overheard the arresting sheriff's deputy say that Hatch's home confinement was being revoked because he granted the interview. When speaking to Today, Hatch told the program that he believed the judge in his tax evasion case had discriminated against him for being gay -- a claim that was strongly denied. Both Hatch and Today show host Matt Lauer said they received permission from the federal Bureau of Prisons to do the Tuesday interview.
WRIGHT AND PENN AGREE TO DIVISION OF PROPERTY: Robin Wright and Sean Penn have reportedly already agreed on how to divide property involved in their divorce. The Associated Press reports that Wright filed for divorce on August 12th, citing irreconcilable differences but has already agreed with Penn that they'll share custody of their 16-year-old son Hopper Jack Penn.
JASON SCHWARTZMAN IS MARRIED: Jason Schwartzman married clothing designer Brady Cunningham last month. People magazine revealed that the couple tied the knot at their California home back on July 11th. The actor's rep told the magazine, "It was a very small ceremony with many family members and close friends."
GEORGE LOPEZ REPORTEDLY ANGERS FAMILY: George Lopez's family is reportedly furious that the actor secretly buried his grandmother without telling his relatives. Linda Sierra, identified as Lopez's sister, told RadarOnline.com, "George buried our grandma and didn't tell any of us about it. He didn't let any of us know -- George's sisters, nephews and nieces are all heartbroken." Lopez's rep didn't return a call for comment.
JON GOSSELING REPORTEDLY CONSIDERING NEW REALITY SHOW
Jon Gosselin is reportedly considering joining a new reality show. TMZ.com reports that the reality dad is in talks with the production company Endomol to appear on a show called Divorced Dad's Club, which chronicles the lives of famous divorce fathers.
TMZ claims that although he's talked to producers, Jon is concerned about his TLC contact -- an issue that could be resolved since word is the network is unhappy with his conduct lately on Jon & Kate Plus 8. Sources told the site that the network recently sent Jon a letter, claiming he was in violation of the morals clause of his contract -- partly because he's been seen going in and out of bars and drinking.
- RadarOnline.com meanwhile, reports that TLC is actually planning to limit Jon's appearances on the show. An insider told the site, "Jon is definitely in the doghouse with TLC. They are sick and tired of his antics." Some people are even speculating that Jon is trying to get fired, explaining, "He's going through the motions right now and it seems like he doesn't want to be there when he's filming."
- In other news, Usmagazine.com reports that Jon spent part of Tuesday (August 18th) at a hospital visiting cancer-stricken children. A source told the website, "Jon is trying to get involved with more kids charities. He is very into kids and being a dad is very sympathetic to the plight of less fortunate children."
DANCING WITH THE STARS PAIRINGS LEAKED!
Some of the pairings for the upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars have been revealed ahead of the show's official announcement. Access Hollywood reports that Entourage star Debi Mazar will dance with Maksim Chmerkovskiy while Donny Osmond is rumored to have been paired with Kym Johnson.
Entertainment Tonight is reporting that Aaron Carter will dance with Chmerkovskiy's fiance, Karina Smirnoff. They also claim that former champ Cheryl Burke is the lucky lady to have been paired with Tom DeLay, while Mya's pro partner is reportedly Dmitry Chaplin.
- Ashley Hamilton's father George Hamilton, confessed that his son will dance with his former partner, Edyta Sliwinska. The final pair known at this time is swimmer Natalie Coughlin and dancer Alec Mazo.
- The remaining partnerships will reportedly be revealed on Monday (August 24th) and the show kicks off on September 21st.
QUENTIN TARANTINO SAY BRAD PITT SMOKES HASH!
Brad Pitt recently claimed to have given up marijuana, but according to his Inglourious Basterds director Quentin Tarantino, he's still a fan of hash. In a recent radio interview, Tarantino revealed that when he visited the actor in France last year, "He had a big brick of hash. He whipped out a knife like Jesse James and cut me off a big sliver. I thought 'Oh God this should be in a movie.'"
Meanwhile, Tarantino announced earlier this week that a prequel to Basterds is already in the works. At a screening on Monday (August 17th) night, the director revealed, "I've gotten some of it written already. A lot of the actors would really like to do it."
- Co-star Eli Roth added, "It's about my character and Brad's character in Italy. We've already signed up -- we told Quentin we absolutely want to do it. On set, we'd be like, 'Do a prequel!' and Brad would be yelling 'Prequel!' in between takes."
ROB PATTINGSON DEATH RUMORS UNTRUE!
Rob Pattinson is alive. The New York Daily News reports that rumors swirling about the actor's death are totally false. Speculation that Pattinson died of a heroin overdose reportedly flooded the web on Wednesday (August 19th), but the actor is alive and well in Vancouver, where he's shooting the third Twilight series installment, Eclipse.
- Meanwhile, Pattinson is maintaining his bachelor-hood despite constant rumors that he's involved with his Twilight co-star Kristen Stewart. The "it" boy is quoted by the U.K.'s Mirror as having said, "I don't have a girlfriend; I don't know why... you always think you're going to get more girls after you've made a movie and it never happens; You sit there and you're like, 'I'm a big movie star and I want to go out with some models,' but I don't know why that doesn't happen."
- He admits that he's getting attention from female fans of all ages, however. Pattinson revealed, "Most of the girls are all pretty young, so it's just kind of funny. But then you get the Twilight Mums who love you like mums! And you can take that too far. I mean, it could be 'Edward breaks up Twilight family.'"
VH1 REALITY SHOW CONTESTANT IS A PERSON OF INTREST IN CA. MURDER CASE
A VH1 reality star is a person of interest in the murder of a former swimsuit model who was found dead in a California trash can. Police say that Ryan Jenkins, who appeared on the show Megan Wants a Millionaire, had a rocky relationship with 28-year-old Jasmine Fiore, and was the one to report her missing on Saturday (August 15th) night. Her body was found that day and officials speculate that she was strangled.
Lt. Gary Worral said that they are looking for 32-year-old Jenkins and believe he may be headed to his native Canada. Worral told the press, "At this point, he's merely a person of interest, simply because of the suspiciousness of his disappearance. We can't find him. We find it suspicious that with all the media coverage that he has not made himself available to us," he said."
- Fiore's mother said that the 28-year-old and Jenkins got married in Las Vegas in March, but had the marriage annulled in May. She said that Jenkins since convinced her daughter to take him back.
- Jenkins appeared in three episodes of the VH1 show, where he was identified as an investment banker with a couple of million dollars to his name.
- Meanwhile, VH1 announced on Wednesday (August 19th) that it was postponing any future airings of Megan Wants A Millionaire in light of the case.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Shania Twain is also going to be a celebrity judge at the end of the month, when American Idol holds auditions in Chicago.
- "Big Brother 11" removed 33-year-old freelance journalist Chima Simone from the CBS reality series for breaking the rules and bad behavior.
- Former CNN "Crossfire" co-host Robert Novak died Tuesday at age 78 after a year-long battle with brain cancer.
- They had Walter Conkite's funeral in July. Now, get ready for the star-studded memorial service in New York on September 9th. Among the speakers: President Obama and former president Bill Clinton. Among the performers: Jimmy Buffett.
- Something big has smashed into Jupiter, leaving a scar the size of Earth on our solar system's largest planet. What is it? Astronomers aren't sure.
- Want to buy the spot in the mausoleum above Marilyn Monroe? The widow of the man who is currently there is auctioning off his spot. She plans to move him over one and use the money to pay off her mortgage. So far, the bidding is up to $2.5 million.
- Celine Dion says she's pregnant with her second child.
- Jessica Simpson's dad is said to be pestering the producers of "American Idol," saying that she is the perfect replacement for Paula Abdul. I still say Paula is going to come back and take their paltry $10 million a year offer.
- Brad Pitt says he quit smoking pot once he became a father because he wanted to be able to take care of his kids.
- Prince William is said to be planning to marry Kate Middleton in two years.
- Comedian Steve Harvey has joined the cast of "Good Morning, America" to offer reports on family and relationship topics.
- A study made by University of Massachusetts researchers showed that about 85% of Canadian currency contains trace amounts of cocaine.
- John Cleese has been told to pay $20 million to his ex-wife in his divorce settlement.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Just when you think he can't get any busier, Kenny Chesney has decided to launch his own brand of apparel. The clothing line is called Blue Chair Bay, and Chesney tells People magazine that it is casual attire for both men and women.
He said, "Blue Chair Bay is kind of like the place we'd all like to go if we had no obligations or nowhere to be. That's what I want this clothing line to represent. These are the clothes I would pack to go to this place."
Chesney describes some of the pieces as "that favorite T-shirt that you've washed a lot that is kind of sun bleached ... your favorite khakis, and your shirt that you've had forever."
- The line has been in the works for two years, and ranges in price from $35 for a T-shirt up to $72 for a pair of khaki pants.
- It is available at select stores in Key West, Florida, Gulf Shores, Alabama, and Nashville, Tennessee.
- The Blue Chair Bay line will officially debut at the MAGIC Marketplace in Las Vegas on September 1st, followed by an intimate performance by Chesney at Sin City's Hard Rock Hotel.
Nearly 40,000 fans came to see Alan Jackson perform three shows in Norway and Sweden last week. Twenty thousand of those fans waited nine hours in the rain to him in Norway.
- Chesney's 2005 album was called Be As You Are (Songs From An Old Blue Chair).
- The string of shows were Jackson's first European performances since 1990.
- Jackson's current album, Good Time, just reached the one million worldwide sales mark.
- His Norwegian Favorites album recently hit the Number One spot on the charts in that country, giving Jackson his first chart-topper in Norway.
- Jackson's Good Time CD was the fourth album of his career to debut simultaneously at Number One on Billboard's Top Country Albums and all-genre Billboard 200 sales charts.
- So far, the 17-track CD has produced three Number One hits -- "Good Time," "Small Town Southern Man," and "Country Boy."
Mindy McCready is at the center of the current scandal involving the leak of an alleged sex tape made by Grey's Anatomy star Eric Dane, his wife, actress Rebecca Gayheart, and former beauty pageant queen Kari Ann Peniche. Peniche claims McCready stole her computer hard drive, which contained the video, while the two were roommates during the taping of the upcoming season of the VH1 show, Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew.
- Peniche maintains that McCready stole the hard drive in retaliation for some money that the singer claims Peniche took.
- TMZ reported that Peniche settled the dispute with all parties involved, including McCready, however that was before the video turned up on the internet.
- Peniche told reporters that she is now considering pressing charges against McCready, but McCready maintains her innocence, telling the New York Daily News, "Kari Ann was the one that stole my hard drive and copied it to two mini-drives. She also stole money from me. I think she probably wanted to sell my music. I was the one trying to keep Kari Ann out of trouble -- steering her away from drugs during the taping of the show. I was the one trying to help Rebecca and Eric get their material back. There was a bunch of high profile people on those mini-drives."
- McCready's troubled past includes several arrests, her most recent in 2007 for assaulting her mother and resisting arrest.
- Last year, McCready spent some time in jail after violating her probation.
- She entered rehab twice in 2008, the latter of which came after a suicide attempt.
Jason Aldean's career is definitely on the upswing. It's something Aldean tells us he's been feeling since he released the first single from his latest album, Wide Open, earlier this year."I think you can feel a little bit of a momentum. I mean, when 'She's Country' was out and kind of peaking and doing its thing I knew it was different than any other song I'd had. I mean, it's not rocket science. I could tell that, and then you play a show you start seein' more people comin' to your shows."
Not only that, but Aldean says his fans have stepped up their passion for him."One thing I noticed is that they were a lot more rabid than they were before, you know? A lot more stage jumpers and things like that, so I think you can feel a little bit of it. It's not like it's an overnight sort of deal, but I think gradually you can feel a little bit of a momentum there."
Jake Owen jumped on the Twitter bandwagon from the get go, using it as a way to get personal with his fans. Owen tells us he loved using it as a tool to lead fans on searches for free tickets or passes to his events, among other things. "Before everybody caught on and started Twittering nonsense, I was using it for things like that. I think it's a great way . . . I think anything, especially now with the way of the electronic world and just to be able to keep in touch with folks -- that's a great way to do that."
- Aldean's first live concert DVD, called Wide Open Live & More, will be released on August 25th. It has already shipped enough copies to be officially certified gold.
- Aldean's latest single, "Big Green Tractor, is a Top Five hit on the country charts.
Owen said the idea to have a little fun with his fans via Twitter came to him while en route to a show in Texas. "I think the first major Twitter that I did was I was flying into Dallas, and I was hungry, and I just said, 'The first person to get back to me wins dinner with my tour manager and I,' and sure enough we took her out to dinner and it was a great time, and it just spreads, you know? I'm doin' anything I can right now to just gain fans and friends and popularity, and I think that's a great way to do it."
Mark McLeod, the 53-year-old man accused of attempting to stalk Miley Cyrus,
- Owen's recent Twitter offerings include inviting fans to join him on his boat in Nashville and hosting an open call to find a blind date for his fraternal twin brother.
appeared in a Georgia courtroom on Tuesday (August 18th) where a scheduled hearing in the case was postponed until next Tuesday. Afterwards, his attorney James Byrne told the Associated Press, "People need to understand that, really, he's a human being. If there's something wrong, we need to address it. He's one of our fellow citizens who might need some help."
Police on Tybee Island -- where Cyrus spent most of the summer filming a movie -- arrested McLeod twice on misdemeanor charges on June 22nd and August 4th. Authorities allege that in both instances, McLeod came there looking for the 16-year-old -- and at one point told officers that he was secretly engaged to the teen.
A career-spanning boxed set of Dolly Parton's music will be released on October 27th. For the first time ever, the four-disc, 99-song package, simply called Dolly, will include music dating back to 1967. The set will include all 21 of her chart-topping hits, her 11 duets with the late Porter Wagoner, and some rare demos and never-before-released tracks.
- Prosecutors asked that McLeod's hearing be postponed because the lead investigator was unavailable and results were not yet complete from a police search of McLeod's home.
- Byrne said that McLeod, who has spent the last two weeks in jail on $55,200 bond, has been having a rough time in his personal life recently as his mother and brother both died and he'd been unable to find work.
The boxed set will also include a 60-page booklet with never-before-seen photographs and memorabilia.
- Parton's official website, Dolly.com, will offer fans the opportunity to order the album and receive an exclusive bonus album download with purchase.
- Parton is working on a new album, called Dance With Dolly. There is no scheduled release date.
- Parton wrote the music and lyrics to the soundtrack of the new Broadway show, 9 To 5. The show will be closing on September 6th, with a national tour to follow in September of next year.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY
BEHIND THE VIDEO: HANNAH MONTANA THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK/GAC 5:30PM, 11:00PM (ET)
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 9:00PM (ET)
Nickel Creek, Travis Tritt
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Lonestar made their chart debut with "Tequila Talkin'" in 1995.
- Charlie Walker joined Grand Ole Opry in 1967.
- Dierks Bentley's self-titled debut album was released in 2003.
- Dwight Yoakam earned his second double-platinum album, with Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. in 1999.
- "Talking In Your Sleep" took Crystal Gayle to Number One on the Billboard country chart in 1978.
- Kris Kristofferson married Rita Coolidge with Kristofferson's father, a minister, conducting the ceremony, in 1973.
KIM KARDASHIAN SEEN WITH REGGIE BUSH: Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush were seen dining together just weeks after they announced their split. People magazine reports that the former couple was "all smiles" as they walked into a steakhouse in New Orleans on Monday (August 17th) night.
JOHNNY KNOXVILLE TO BE A DAD AGAIN: Johnny Knoxville is going to be a father again. Usmagazine.com reports that the Jackass star's girlfriend Naomi Nelson is three months pregnant. His rep told the site, "Yes, they are expecting and very excited." Knoxville has a 13-year-old daughter with his ex-wife Melanie Clapp. He and Nelson have been together for nearly a year.
COLIN FARRELL'S GIRLFRIEND PREGNANT? It's rumored that Colin Farrell's girlfriend is pregnant after 26-year-old Alicja Bachleda-Curu was photographed at a Los Angeles airport with the actor sporting what appears to be a tell-tale bump. The couple has been dating since February. If Bachleda-Curu is indeed pregnant, it will be the second child for the actor, who has a five-year-old son James with model Kim Bordenave. Check out a picture: http://tinyurl.com/pou4zu
TORI TALKS SPELLING FAMILY FEUD: The latest statement regarding the Spelling family feud comes from Tori. The reality star told OK! magazine, "I definitely want to reconcile with my mother, but that's the wrong word. There's nothing that really happened that made us fight. It's just time, distance and the media that have come between my mom and me." She added, "I just think that as long as we both keep it private from here on out, reconciliation is imminent. It will totally happen and I hope that she wants that. I am proud of my kids, but I also want to make my mom proud of me. I'm still a mama's girl at the heart of the situation."
'TWILIGHT' STAR'S LAPTOP REPORTEDLY STOLEN: Twilight star Nikki Reed's laptop was reportedly stolen on a recent flight. Life & Style magazine claims that the actress was overheard telling Rob Pattinson, "I had so much fun in Greece this summer. I wish I had pictures to show you, but my laptop was stolen with everything on it. The police are trying to find it for me, but I doubt they will, which really sucks!" HEIDI GOING BACK TO MONTAG: Heidi Montag is reportedly returning to her maiden name after having briefly gone by her married name -- Heidi Pratt. An insider told Life & Style magazine, "She was using Pratt after her wedding. But she's going back to just Montag now that she's in Playboy and about to perform on Miss Universe and release her album."
KIM KARDASHIAN TO GUEST STAR ON NEW FOX SHOW: Kim Kardashian will make a guest appearance on the new Fox sitcom, Brothers. People magazine reports that in the episode -- which will be filmed in the coming weeks for an October air date -- the 28-year-old reality star will play herself as she confronts a football star about rumors they had a secret fling. The football player will be played by real life ex-New York Giants star Michael Strahan. The show premieres on September 25th.
BRAD PITT JOINS VOICE CAST OF DREAMWORKS FILM: Brad Pitt is among the A-list celebrities who will be voicing the upcoming DreamWorks film, Oobermind. People magazine reports that the movie, which is currently in pre-production, opens with Pitt -- as the "super heroic" Metro Man -- being accidently killed by the title character Oobermind, who will be voiced by Will Ferrell. The incident reportedly prompts Oobermind to have a change of heart about being bad and creates a new hero, which confuses a local newscaster -- whose voice will be provided by Tina Fey.
'TRUE BLOOD' KILLING IN RATINGS: True Blood is becoming an increasingly bigger hit for HBO as the weeks go on. This past Sunday's (August 16th) episode of the vampire drama reportedly drew 4.5 million viewers, marking a 100,000 person increase from the week before.
NICOLE KIDMAN APPEARING ON 'PROJECT RUNWAY': Nicole Kidman will appear on Thursday's (August 20th) All-Star Challenge of Project Runway. The show is scheduled to air before the sixth season premiere of the design show on Lifetime -- the first time that the program will be shown on that channel after five years on Bravo.
JOH GOSSELIN'S GIRLFRIEND DUBS TLC THE LYING CHANNEL
Jon Gosselin's girlfriend Hailey Glassman has dubbed the network that made her beau rich "the lying channel" for supposedly refusing to allow Jon and Kate to admit their separation earlier. In an interview with E!, Glassman said, "People need to realize there's two sides to every story... TLC, they're telling something, but the truth is always in that fuzzy area. You can't touch it, but only the people contracted can see it, but no one can say it."
- Glassman denied Jon's supposed flings, saying that former tabloid reporter Kate Major is "cukoo" and nanny Stephanie Santoro was just someone Jon gave a job to because he felt bad for her.
- Although she did say that Jon's first Kate has been playing the "sympathy card," Glassman did admit that she is a good mother.
SIMON COWELL IS SAD ABOUT PAULA'S DEPARTURE
Although they often sparred on TV, Simon Cowell says that he is genuinely sad that Paula Abdul has left American Idol. Cowell told Fox News's Pop Tarts, "She's taken the decision in her life now, which you have to respect her for making the decision. I didn't want to get involved in what was going on because it wasn't really any of my business but I spoke to her a lot through the whole process."
He admitted, "I always thought she was the heart of the show. I'm not the heart, I'm not even the brain actually. But she was the heart, so you've taken that away so it's a different show. I'm sad, I am. I'll probably see her next week. I'm going to listen to what she wants to do next. I will support her in anything she wants to do next. I think she is TV gold, genuinely."
- Fellow judge Randy Jackson echoed his sentiment, adding, "Me and Ryan and Simon and her started this journey together so I'm really shocked and really proud and really just couldn't believe she's not here. We love her I'm sure she's going to be great whatever she decides to do. Spoke to her couple days ago. I think she's doing pretty good. It was a really a tough time as you can imagine."
- Meanwhile, Pop Tarts is reporting that Kelly Clarkson and one member of the Jonas Brothers are the latest celebrities who will step in as guest judges during next week's Idol auditions.
CHECK IT OUT: How to fake sincerity: http://tinyurl.com/qpb7l9
Robin Wright Penn and Sean Penn are over for good
-- it looks like. A day after More magazine published an interview in which Wright Penn foretold the end of her marriage, Access Hollywood revealed that she filed for divorce on August 12th. The couple, who has been married since 1996, filed papers to split twice in the last few years but in both cases reconciled -- the last time being in May.
CHECK IT OUT:
- In the September issue of More, Wright Penn said that she is through with the Oscar-winner, explaining, "I hit that crossroad a while ago. I know what I don't want."
- She added that she has no regrets about their 20-year relationship, saying, "I, we, have two amazing children we raised together." The couple is parents to 18-year-old daughter Dylan Frances and 16-year-old son Hopper Jack.
FAVRE UNRETIRES AGAIN, SIGNS WITH VIKINGS:
Quarterback Brett Favre has unretired for the second time, with the announcement yesterday (August 18th) that he had signed on with the Minnesota Vikings, reversing himself from his statement last month that he was going to stay retired. ESPN reported that the 39-year-old Favre, a three-time MVP winner who holds every major NFL career passing record, will get $12 million this season and $13 million the next. When asked about the criticism he's come under for his flip-flopping, a defiant Favre told reporters yesterday, "Don't watch, you know? My legacy, it's mine. It's what I think of it." He also brushed off suggestions he's driven by revenge against the Green Bay Packers, with whom he spent most of his career, because they wouldn't take him back after he unretired in 2008, and that's why he signed with their archrival Minnesota. Favre went to the New York Jets last year after Green Bay wouldn't take him back, and after starting strong, ended the season 1-4 amid problems with his throwing arm. After the season, he retired for the second time, saying he was done. He underwent arthroscopic surgery on his arm in May.
DID YOU KNOW?
PALM READING? TRY BUTT READING: Rumpology is the 'art' of reading one's future or fortunes by studying the lines, crevices, folds and other particulars found on one's bare rear end. The most high-profile proponent and practitioner of rumpology is Jackie Stallone, actor Sly's mother, who offers the allegedly "ancient" service by the modern means of PayPal; after emailing her a close-up photo of your rump and $125 she will divine your future and send you a report of her findings.
SMART PHONES MAKE US LOSE SLEEP: Technological distractions are becoming a leading source of sleeplessness, experts and a recent poll say. A global survey by Westin Hotels found that some 60 percent of business travelers said their hand-held devices like Blackberrys and iPhones kept them from snoozing. Dr. Meir Kryger, a board member of the National Sleep Foundation, said, "Ten or 15 years ago, there wasn't much to do late at night. You either watched Jay Leno or went to sleep. Now there is so much to do 24 hours a day." TWITTER POSTS ARE MOSTLY 'BLABBER': Twitter followers are more likely to hear about what people are having for their lunch than read anything actually interesting or worthwhile, according to Pear Analytics. A study by the research firm showed that less than one in ten tweets have any real "pass-along value" and more than 40 percent of tweets are "pointless babble." They grouped the messages into one of six categories: news, spam, self-promotion, pointless babble, conversational and those with pass-along value to determine the statistic. Only 8.7 percent of messages were found to have pass-along value. Pointless babble was the largest category with 40.5 percent. Conversational tweets were 37.5 percent, but self promotion and spam only grabbed 5.9 percent and 3.8 percent respectively.
WOMAN REPORTEDLY PREGNANT WITH 12 KIDS: An unidentified woman from Tunisia is reportedly carrying 12 babies. London's The Sun reports that she has vowed to attempt to give birth to the six girls and six boys that she is carrying. British fertility experts warned the pregnancy in the Tunisian oasis town of Gafsa carried "colossal" risks. All nine babies born to the current record-holder -- an Australian mum in 1971 -- died in Sydney. It is not clear if the expectant mother had IVF treatment or an alternative procedure called ovulation induction treatment.
SHOPPERS MARRY TIGHTWADS: A new study has found that people pick spouses who have opposite spending habits as their own. The New York Times reported that researchers rated people on their purchasing style, and then asked them how they felt about it. They discovered that those who weren't comfortable with their own spending habits tended to choose marital partners who took the other extreme. According the study's authors this doesn't bode well for happiness as, "It is associated with greater conflicts over money and diminished marital well-being."
SIGNS YOUR MAN IS LYING (MSN.com)
- Covering the mouth while talking. It's as if they're subconsciously repressing the untruths they're spouting. It may be as blatant as completely concealing the mouth or as subtle as a single finger placed in front of the lips.
- Touching the nose. Scientists have found that lying can cause the tissue in the nose to swell, meaning that a quick stroke could be a sign of deceit (or that it's allergy season).
- Rubbing an eye. When lying to someone, the instinct is to look away in shame. Since that's a dead giveaway, many people content themselves with a fast wipe of the peepers.
Touching an ear. Just as you're supposed to see no evil, you should hear no evil as well. These nervous gestures can range from a small rub of the back of the ear to an outright yank of the ear lobe.
- Going for the neck. Research has found lying can cause a tingling in the tissues of the neck, leading to scratching or pulling the collar. It signals that the speaker is feeling uncertainty, so be concerned if you see it right after your sweetie announces, "Of course this Prada dress was on the sales rack at Marshalls."
- Shaking the head no while saying yes. If he says, "Yep, I'm getting home late because I have a big assignment to finish" while nodding his head, he's working late. If he sends the mixed message of saying yes while shaking his head no, look for him at the Spearmint Rhino (read: strip club).
WHAT YOUR SLEEP PERSONALITY SAYS ABOUT YOUR WAKING LIFE: (MSN.com)
- The Lark: A morning bird, your basic get-up-and-go type. Larks tend to be go getters but they're not gregarious. They tend to be introverted, and are overall more conscientious and disciplined.
- The Late to Bed, Late to Rise Sleeper: If you are an owl, in the morning you are best left undisturbed before you've had your cup of joe. In contrast to larks, your lowest moods occur upon awakening, although you are most creative mid-morning and late evening. Owls seem to be more outgoing and social. They also tend to be risk-takers.
- The Long Sleeper: People who were more reliant on others for good feelings about themselves tend to sleep significantly longer. Long sleepers do have a tendency towards depression, a condition that is also very sensitive to the amount of social support people have in their lives. Staying in close touch with family and friends improves health for virtually everyone -- but long sleepers should keep these ties strong and active.
- The Necessity Sleeper: Many individuals who sleep fewer than eight hours a day have a tendency to be highly self-critical. This could because you're having having harsh thoughts about yourself when you wake up during the night and when you attempt to fall asleep.
- The Peaceful Sleeper: If you sleep like a log, you probably have an attitude of gratitude. A study of 161 people published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research found that those who focus on what they have -- not what they lack---fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly. Grateful people are also less tired and more functional during the day.
- The Restless Sleeper: If you find yourself counting sheep, watching late night TV, swinging from branch to branch in your thoughts, or working into the night because you can't sleep, consider your need for perfection or control. While a perfectionist may be successful in many situations, this trait isn't useful in the realm of sleep and relaxation. A controlling nature may also set the stage for long struggles when it comes to difficulties sleeping.
- The Dreaming Sleeper: Can you vividly recall your dreams each morning? Your sleep style indicates that you are likely highly creative in your waking life. Such people tend to be odd and quirky -- and although most are perfectly normal, they are at higher risk than others for schizophrenia.
Top Time Wasters at Work!
A company called CRN has done a little research and come up with the top five time wasters at work. Let's just hope the boss doesn't get a hold of this. The top five are:
5. Fantasy Sports: Too many folks -- mostly guys, fantasizing about their ultimate teams in competition -- usually with other co-workers.
4. Minesweeper: The simple yet addictive computer game is already installed on most office computers.
3. YouTube: Nothing changes your priorities at the office like finding out there's a great video online of a wedding couple dancing down the aisle.
2. Twitter: It was a tough battle for the top spot but the Tweets made it as high as number two!
1. Facebook: Need we explain. It's just too tempting to post to your friends and the entire world that you're having a ham sandwich for lunch today! (CRN News)
How to make your cell phone battery last longer:
I came across this advice from switched.com....
- Turn your cell phone off. Sure, it might seem obvious, but when was the last time you actually shut off your phone when not using it? Well, do it next time, and you'll see just how much longer your battery lasts.
- Avoid playing games, watching video or scrolling through pictures. If you know it could be a while before your next charge, then you might have to skimp on entertainment. Yes, we know you need a 'Bejeweled' fix or need to edit down some quick snapshots from last night's party, but both will cost you precious power.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Wireless features such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth may let you get your e-mail faster and free you of cords, but they're also slurping down lots of juice while they're on. The radio frequency that Bluetooth works on doesn't take too much power, but it will cut into your battery time if you leave your phone settings to 'discoverable' all the time.
- The motor that runs the vibrate function is a huge battery drain, especially if you're constantly getting calls. Although vibrate is a great function for silently alerting you to calls, it's not worth missing calls because you vibrated away your battery.
- Avoid flash photography. Hey, we know it's a hard thing to do when the paparazzi are always following you around, but seriously, the little flashes on your camera phones can be surprisingly powerful -- and energy-draining.
- Turn down screen brightness. Much like your laptop, most of the battery power of your phone is sucked up by the LCD screen (or, in many cases, screens). As with the power saving settings on a laptop that dim the screen's brightness, cell phone screens can be dimmed to save power.
- Download your e-mails manually. Setting your phone to automatically check for mail every 20 minutes -- which requires a power-sucking Wi-Fi or mobile data connection -- will run down your battery in no time.
WATER COOLER TALK
When your kids use the Internet's search function, do you wonder what they're looking for? Parents, pay attention. Symantec (Norton) studied logged web page visits made through its OnlineFamily.Norton, a web-monitoring service for parents, discovering that kids are looking at porn. "Sex" came in at #4 and "porn" at #6 in the survey that scanned 3.5 million searches done between February 2008 and July 2009. Top 10 children's search terms:
- Michael Jackson
- Fred (YouTube star)
People who have high IQs are less likely to believe in God than people of average and below average intelligence, according to Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ireland's University of Ulster. Lynn claims that the general decline in religious observance over the last century is directly related to a rise in average intelligence. The smarter we are the more likely we are to shun religious services. So what would Jesus say: "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." (Matthew 11:25) AMEN!
With all the talk about Michael Jackson' estate, Perez Hilton says some people got curious as to what the other Jackson children are worth. Well, detailed paperwork about a possible tour involving all the Jackson siblings may reveal the answer. The new grouping, called the Jackson 8, has been formed through a New Jersey-based promoter called AllGood Entertainment and the company is hoping to put the Jackson's out on a 10-city U.S. tour. The only thing standing in the way of this reunion is, of course, money. The rest of the siblings are upset that younger sister, and proposed lead singer for the group, Janet Jackson, is making 4 times as much money as the rest of the group. The tour pay scale in the proposal is specifically broken out as follows:
- Janet Jackson, $4 million
- Jermaine Jackson, $1.5 million
- Jackie Jackson, $1.5 million
- Randy Jackson, $1.5 million
- Marlon Jackson, $1.5 million
- Tito Jackson, $1.5 million
- La Toya Jackson, $500,000
- Rebbie Jackson, $250,000
Women want to have sex just as much as men do. But there's one catch. They must be in a committed relationship. The old sexual stereotypes hold that men have one thing on their minds, while women aren't all that interested. This may be true for single men and women, but once both genders are in a committed relationship -- even without marriage -- they have similar attitudes about sex, according to a study from the University of Florida.
Men are "always" thinking about sex, according to researchers at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction at Indiana University. They say 54% of men think about sex several times a day, compared with just 19% of women. Neuropsychiatrist Dr. Louann Brizendine, author of "The Female Brain," writes in her book that men think about sex every 52 seconds, while women tend to think of it just once a day. And get this, ABC News reports that researchers at the University of Minnesota concluded that sexy subliminal images competed for attention in the human brain even when those images were not right in front of the person's eyes.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Joining Jay Leno for his first show September 14th, along with Jay Z, Kanye West and Rihanna: Jerry Seinfeld!
- Katie Holmes exclusive clothing line, "Holmes and Yang," will arrive in an L.A. boutique late next month!
- Police were called in to the Gosselin home again Saturday night. It was Jon's night to be there and Kate showed up. Shouting ensued. Kate spent the night in a hotel.
- After six seasons, it appears Comedy Central has canceled "Reno: 9-1-1"
- Hugh Grant says he's about to give up acting because of the severity of his "stage fright."
- Mark Wahlberg had to be rushed to a hospital on Friday after inhaling too much fake smoke on the set of his new movie.
- Paula Abdul was ticked at the producers of "Ugly Betty", saying she was going to be on their show, and has now changed her mind. No Paula for you!
- Jim Dickinson died over the weekend at age 67. He was a Memphis musician with worked with a lot of names from Aretha Franklin to the Flamin Groovies. He played the piano on the Rolling Stones song, "Wild Horses."
- A new poll shows that 57% of Americans feel that the economic stimulus package was too expensive and didn't work as well as it should have.
- Eva Longoria is busy getting her new restaurant ready, Beso Las Vegas, to open in 2010. She also hopes to open a satellite restaurant at LAX.
- In Manchester, New Hampshire, they did it. That 1,223 pound cupcake they created is the new world record holder. Triple vanilla with pink frosting, if you're curious.
COMMUNICATING BETWEEN GENDERS AT WORK (MSN.com)
Trash talk: Men use negative banter, joking, teasing and playful putdowns as a way to subtly keep themselves at the top of the power hierarchy. Such "trash talking" is a common component of male relating.
- What women think: Making others feel small is decidedly not a female trait. Women tend to see putdowns as arrogant or hostile.
- The middle ground: In general, trash talk is usually harmless, as long as both parties "play." When both parties engage in it, it can even be a way to bond around a problem, such as a trying work assignment or demanding sales quotas.
Prideful self-sufficiency: You've heard the jokes about men not asking for directions? In work settings, males sometimes ask few questions, fearing that doing so will communicate to others that they don't know something. Males tend to equate knowledge with power and don't want to diminish their image by showing they lack the necessary know-how.
- What women think: Women see this behavior as childish and even arrogant. They also look at it as a giant waste of time, figuring it is more time-effective to ask a question, get the answer and move on.
- The middle ground: Some workplace cultures discourage questions, and indeed make people feel self-conscious about asking too many. In meetings or other settings where everyone needs to be on the same page in order to develop the best strategy, both genders need to find ways to get and give clarification.
Not giving feedback: Because men don't solicit feedback, good or bad, they also don't give feedback in return. Males don't want to be criticized, feel that compliments make someone less effective, and think women who seek feedback are "needy" and "high maintenance."
- What women think: Women think men don't value their contributions and are overly critical. They may even feel that men withhold positive feedback in order to avoid giving women promotions or good projects.
- The middle ground: Constructive feedback should be built into the workplace culture. Both genders need to find a way to make it a tool for improving performance and productivity.
Equality-minded: Women try to maintain an appearance of equality amongst everyone. They are concerned with the effect of the exchange on the other person and want to make sure everyone feels like a worthy contributor.
- What men think: Men tend to see this as a sign that women lack confidence and competence as leaders. They feel it makes women look weak.
- The middle ground: Females can wield an enormous amount of power by orchestrating collaboration and enlisting cooperation between many parties. Men can learn from this. Nevertheless, women in leadership positions need to maintain a clear boundary between their authority and that of others.
Outside-in negotiating: Females want to see the full picture and make sure everyone's on the same page with the same level of understanding before making a decision.
- What men think: Since this is the exact opposite of what men typically do, men think this tactic means women don't have a clear position or aren't decisive enough.
- The middle ground: In negotiations, it's imperative to know all the factors involved before making a decision. On the other hand, trying to make everyone happy is not how leaders make good decisions. A balanced blend of female thoroughness and male decisiveness is ideal.
Likely to downplay certainty: Women don't want to appear pushy or uncaring of others' positions or ideas.
- What men think: Men think, therefore, that women aren't certain and need someone to take charge.
- The middle ground: Moderate self-deprecation and humility are good qualities in leaders. But always deferring to others' opinions and perspectives will be perceived as a sign of weakness. Find a middle way.
DID YOU KNOW?
FAT GUYS ARE COOL NOW? Out editor Aaron Hicklin postulates being in shape has become "prissy," adding, "It's not cool to be seen spending so much time fussing around about your body." Meanwhile, Details editor Dan Peres speculated that hipsters -- contrarian by nature -- are growing potbellies to be unlike Barack Obama, who has a nice flat stomach he has made a conscious decision to keep bulge-free.
AVERAGE AGE OF COMPUTER GAME ADDICT IS 35: The average age of adult computer game addicts is 35, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found, casting doubt on the traditional stereotype of gamers as college geeks. However, the research, of more than 500 adults, reinforced other images of technology addicts by finding that they were fatter and more depressed than the general population and reliant on the internet for finding friends. NEW INVENTION MAKING KITCHENS SELF-CLEANING? The Daily Mail reports that kitchen work tops that effectively clean themselves could become a reality thanks to a new range of "smart" materials. Coating kitchen surfaces, or mirrors and garage floors, with the new Teflon-like materials will allow them to be wiped clean with nothing more than water. The new material has been created by scientists at Purdue University and project team leader Dr Jeffrey Youngblood said, "You add water, and the oil just comes right off like magic. These are eco-friendly coatings -- environmentally 'green' in the sense that they eliminate the need for harsh detergents and solvents in settings ranging from home kitchens to industrial machine shops that must contend with heavy oil spills."
OBSESSION WITH HEALTHY EATING IS HARMFUL: An obsession with eating healthy could be bad for your health, scientists warn. Fox News reports that those who deny themselves entire food groups or worry too much about the "purity" of their meals are risking their mental and physical well-being. Experts have reported a rise in such extreme behavior, which is known as orthorexia nervosa. Sufferers of orthorexia nervosa -- named after the Greek for "right or true", fixate on quality -- tend to be over 30, middle class and well-educated. Sufferers often eliminate sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods from their diet. Foods tainted by pesticides or that contain additives such as MSG may also be ditched. Cutting out entire food groups can leave sufferers malnourished, while rigid rules can make eating out impossible, putting a huge strain on friendships and relationships.
WHAT'S NEW ON DVD
- Dirty Sexy Money - The Complete Second Season
- iCarly Season 2: Volume 1
- Sons Of Anarchy - Season 1
- Dexter Seasons 1-3
- Dexter The Complete Third Season
Masters of horror Wes Craven and Sean Cunningham revisit their landmark film that launched Craven's directing career and influenced decades of horror films to follow with The Last House On The Left, out on DVD today (Tuesday, August 18th). The night she arrives at the remote Collingwood lakehouse, Mari -- played by Sara Paxton -- and her friend are kidnapped by a prison escapee and his crew. Terrified and left for dead, Mari's only hope is to make it back to parents John and Emma (Tony Goldwyn and Monica Potter). Unfortunately, her attackers unknowingly seek shelter at the one place she could be safe. And when her family learns the horrifying story, they will make three strangers curse the day they came to remote last house on the left.
- Hannah Montana The Movie
- Last House On The Left
The original Last House On The Left came out in 1972.Hannah Montana: The Movie comes out on DVD this week (Tuesday, August 18th). The film stars Miley Cyrus as Miley Stewart, your not-so-typical teenage girl who leads the secret double life of Hannah Montana, one of America's biggest pop stars. As Hannah Montana's popularity begins to take over her life, Miley Stewart, on the urging form her father, -- played by real life dad Billy Ray Cyrus -- takes a trip to her hometown of Crowley Corners, Tennessee to get some perspective on what matters in life the most. While there she falls head-over-heels for a local cowboy and rediscovers the importance of being a teenager.
STRAIGHT TO DVD
- The Bridge To Nowhere (starring Ving Rhames, Bijou Phillips and Danny Masterson)
K-FLAG COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
Reba McEntire's new album, Keep On Loving You, hits retail outlets today (Tuesday, August 18th). This is McEntire's first solo studio album in six years, and her first on Nashville-based indie label Big Machine Records.
McEntire says that not much has changed with regard to the way she approaches recording a new album, however she tells us her song choice is a little more aggressive."What we wanted to do this time is bump up the spiciness or the sassiness and just take it a step further -- just make it a little more, uh, i guess sassy's the best word I can come up with, but I kept the same formula but brought it a little bit more to the forefront with what things are goin' on today."
McEntire says her experience of making this CD was nothing less than great. "(I) just had a blast recording it with two wonderful producers, great musicians in the studio, and I'm just thrilled to pieces with the results, and I hope the fans and everyone like it."
Shania Twain will be temporarily taking Paula Abdul's spot as the fourth judge on American Idol. People magazine reports the superstar will fill the seat next to Simon Cowell during Idol auditions in Chicago on August 30th and 31st.
- Keep On Loving You is McEntire's 31st career album.
- On Friday (August 21st), CMT will premiere Invitation Only: Reba McEntire at 9 p.m. ET.
- Other recent celebrity fill-ins for Abdul are Mary J. Blige and Victoria Beckham, who helped judge auditions in Atlanta and Boston, respectively.
- Twain has been laying low for the past several years. More recently, she's been dealing with the breakup of her 14-year marriage to husband and producer, Mutt Lange.
- A new album from Twain was expected later this year or early next year, however a spokesperson for the singer recently said a new project is "nowhere in sight."
Jason Aldean's very first live DVD, called Wide Open Live & More, is already certified gold more than a week before it's release date of August 25th. The 15-song hi-definition special includes Aldean's performances of such hits at "Big Green Tractor" and "She's Country," as well as the hits and fan-favorite album cuts from his first two CDs, Jason Aldean and Relentless.
- Aldean said, "I've never been prouder of anything...really ever. My live show is the basis for everything I do...it's usually the first thing I think about when I'm trying to decide what songs we record and release. My band and crew work so hard to deliver a kick-ass show night after night...even on the hottest day in August...so this feels like the ultimate reward for all of us."
- Aldean filmed the Wide Open Live & More DVD during his show in Knoxville, Tennessee back in March.
Kenny Chesney's latest hit, "I'm Alive," was written by the superstar shortly after the breakup of his marriage to actress Renee Zellweger. While the song was born out of a painful place, Chesney tells us the end result was an epiphany about life, which he says everyone can relate to. "That song was a tough song for me to write because I wrote it during a time that I wasn't the most happy, but I realized that I'm alive -- that I get to wake up every morning and make music, and I realized that a lot of people loved me, and I realized that even though the inner part right now is not the best, the outer shell of your life is wonderful, and I think a lot of people, no matter who they are or what they do for a living, they go through that as a person in one sense or another."
- Aldean is currently headlining his Wide Open tour through the fall.
- He will appear on ABC's CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock, airing on August 31st.
The video for Brad Paisley's latest single, "Welcome to the Future," can be viewed online at bradpaisley.com, youtube.com/bradpaisley and cmt.com. It will premiere on GAC on Tuesday (August 18th), and is currently airing on CMT.
- "I'm Alive" is a duet with Dave Matthews.
- The song first appeared on Chesney's 2008 album, Lucky Old Sun.
- It's also on his current Greatest Hits II CD, which was released earlier this year.
In keeping with the song's lyrics and message, the video was filmed in New York City; Washington, DC; Los Angeles; and Tokyo and Kumamoto Japan.
- On his website Paisley says, "I am especially happy about the way that it presents the song in ways not possible on just the recording. This is the job of a video, after all I think. I hope you like it, love it, like I do."
- Over the next several weeks, Paisley will recount stories and share behind-the-scenes info about the video on his website.
- "Welcome To The Future" was directed by Jim Shea, who also directed Paisley's award winning videos "Waitin' On A Woman," "Start A Band," "Online" and "When I Get Where I'm Going."
- The song is featured on Paisley's latest album, American Saturday Night.
CONFEDERATE RAILROAD MEMBER DIES
Confederate Railroad member Warren "Gates" Nichols died on Friday (August 14th) at Hospice Tranquility in Austell, Georgia. The 65-year-old musician was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer only about a month ago.
- In addition to playing steel guitar for Confederate Railroad on such early '90s hits as "Queen of Memphis" and "Trashy Women," Nichols played bass guitar on the 1976 pop hit "Shannon," by Henry Gross.
- Last year, Nichols retired from Confederate Railroad to devote more time to church and family.
- Confederate Railroad founder Danny Shirley said of Nichols, "He was an all-around musician, and he played with us for 17 years. Not only did he play steel guitar, he was a bass player, trombone player and keyboard player."
- The funeral for Nichols will be held on Wednesday (August 19th) at West Ridge Church in Hiram, Georgia.
Q.What will Brooks & Dunn's final tour as a duo be called?
A. The Last Rodeo tour
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN/CBS 11:35PM (ET)
- Rosalynn Carter (Former First Lady, wife of former President Jimmy Carter) (82)
- Denis Leary (Comedian and actor, Rescue Me) (52)
- Martin Mull (Comedian and actor) (66)
- Edward Norton (actor, American History X, Fight Club, Red Dragon, The Illusionist, The Hulk) (40)
- Roman Polanski (director, Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown, directing Oscar for The Pianist, and remains in self-imposed exile from America for having sex with an underage girl over 25 years ago; wife Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson family) (76)
- Robert Redford (actor, Hollywood icon, The Way We Were, The Sting, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid) (73)
- Christian Slater (actor, Heathers, Young Guns II, Pump Up The Volume, True Romance) (40)
- Patrick Swayze (actor, Dirty Dancing, Roadhouse, Ghost) (57)
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Theo from The Cosby Show) (39)
- Madeleine Stowe (Actress, Twelve Monkeys) (51)
- Marvin Isley (member of the Isley Brothers) (56)
- Dennis Elliott (former drummer, Foreigner) (59)
- Ron Strykert (guitarist, Men At Work) (51)
- Johnny Preston (singer, "Running Bear") (70)
- Bob Woodruff (anchorman and journalist wounded in Iraq) (48)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Elvis Presley's funeral was held in 1977.
- The Louvin Brothers played their last show as duo in Watseka, Illinois in 1963.
- Big & Rich's debut album, Horse Of A Different Color, was certified platinum in 2004.
- Travis Tritt's T-R-O-U-B-L-E album was released in 1992.
- Mel Tillis' "Coca Cola Cowboy" captured the Number One slot on the Billboard country singles chart in 1979.
- Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn shared the top spot on the Billboard country chart with "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" in 1973.
ZAC EFRON AND VANESSA HUDGENS NOT ENGAGED: Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens are denying reports that they're engaged. After Hudgens was quoted by News of the World as having said, "We haven't set a date and if we did we'd keep it secret for as long as possible," their reps came out to say that reports of a wedding are "not true."
ROBIN WRIGHT PENN MOVING ON FROM SEAN: Although it was reportedly that Sean Penn and Robin Wright Penn called off divorce proceedings in May, Robin is quoted in the September issue of More magazine as having said that she has no plans to reconcile with the actor. Wright Penn explained, "I hit that crossroad a while ago. For Robin [she gestures toward herself], the 'I know what I don't want' was flashing in neon lights." Still, she said, "I have no regrets. I, we, have two amazing children we raised together."
TOM CAVANAGH HAS ANOTHER KID: Tom Cavanagh and his wife welcomed their third child on August 5th. People magazine reports that James Joseph Cavanagh joins two-year-old Thomas Patrick and three-and-a-half-year-old Alice Ann. The actor and Maureen Grise have been married for five years.
REAL HOUSE HUSBAND ARRESTED: The estranged husband of one of The Housewives of Orange County was arrested over the weekend for DUI. TMZ.com reports that Matt Keough -- who was separated from star Jeanna Keough on the show's last season -- was busted after cops witnessed him go through a stop sign and found that his blood alcohol was three times over the legal limit. He was taken into custody and later posted $10,000 bail.
COOPER AND ZELLWEGER BACK IN THE U.S. AFTER VACATION: Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger returned to the United States from Spain last week in order to attend scheduled events -- separately. Although the pair was spotted "getting cozy" during their Spanish getaway, Cooper attended Alyssa Milano's weekend wedding solo while Zellweger attended the premiere of her new movie, My One and Only.
LOUIE ARMSTRONG SUING CHINESE RESTAURANT: Comedian Louie Anderson is suing a Chinese restaurant in which he slipped and fell down. TMZ.com reports that the former Family Feud host has filed a lawsuit against Las Vegas's Manchu Wok, claiming that an employee dropped a "foreign substance" on the floor -- which caused his fall. Anderson is seeking over $10,000 in damages.
BRAD PITT NOT JOINING 'SHERLOCK HOLMES': Despite reports, Brad Pitt has not joined the cast of Guy Ritchie's upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie. A rep for the film told Usmagazine.com, "The report in today's London Mirror is completely inaccurate. Brad Pitt is not joining the cast of Sherlock Holmes and we're extremely pleased with the production of the film. As planned, it will be released on Christmas Day, 2009." The Mirror had reported that Ritchie decided to add Pitt in the role of Holmes' nemesis Moriarty after seeing the movie's first edit.
EVA LONGORIA PARKER EXPANDING RESTAURANT LINE: Eva Longoria Parker is looking to create a restaurant empire. The actress -- who owns Hollywood's Beso -- announced that she'll open another branch in Las Vegas and plans to add locations in airports across the country. Speaking about Beso Vegas, Longoria Parker said, "Vegas has the most energy in the world. It's a foodie city, which is great for us because of our menu. Everything we offer is pretty unique. Nobody in Vegas has anything similar." The first of her airport locations -- which will be called Besitos -- is scheduled for Los Angeles.
'MAD MEN' PREMIERE DRAWS ALMOST THREE MILLION VIEWERS: Mad Men's third season is off to a good start. The Hollywood Reporter announced that 2.8 million people tuned in for Sunday (August 16th) night's premiere, marking a 33 percent increase from last season's debut audience.
'WHITE CHICKS' SEQUEL IN THE WORKS: The Wayans Brothers are developing a sequel to their 2004 comedy, White Chicks. The Hollywood Reporter announced that brothers Marlon and Shawn will reprise their roles as FBI agents posing as a pair of white females. Older brother Keenen Ivory Wayans will direct and all three will write the script.
JESSICA SIMPSON ON 'IDOL'? The New York Post reports that Joe Simpson is pushing Jessica as "the perfect replacement for Paula Abdul."
PAULA ABDUL REPORTEDLY TALKING TO ABC!
Although it's fairly certain that Paula Abdul won't be joining Dancing With the Stars in any capacity, TMZ.com reports that she is still in talks with ABC about a possible variety show. Insiders told the website that in addition to a variety show, she and ABC executive Steve McPherson also discussed a talent competition that would have Abdul in the "Simon Cowell role." Abdul has also reportedly expressed her desire to become the executive producer of her next TV venture.
- Additionally, sources claim that Abdul feels even more disrespected by Idol after learning that Victoria Beckham is being paid a reported $250,000 per episode that she guest judges.
- Regardless, sources maintain that Abdul has not ruled out a return to Idol if the show decides to pony up her desired $10 million salary.
- In other news, it's been reported that Shania Twain might be stepping in to guest judge some of Idol later this month.
GEORGE CLOONEY PLANNING TO SUE!
George Clooney is planning to sue a photographer who allegedly climbed over the wall of his Italian home in Lake Como and took pictures of a 13-year-old girl changing in one of his guest rooms as well as intimate photos of himself with girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis.
TMZ.com printed a statement from the actor, which read, "I don't know about the law in the United States, but in Italy it's illegal for photographers to climb over my wall. He added that he'll also press charges against any publications who printed the photos, explaining, "I draw the line of privacy at that."
DANCING WITH THE STARS CAST REVEALED
The cast of the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars was announced on Monday (August 17th). The show returns with a three-night season premiere beginning on September 21st.
The competitors are as follows:
- Tom DeLay: Former House Majority Leader known as "The Hammer"
- Donny Osmond: Singer, brother of DWTS Season 5 contestant Marie Osmond, and choreographer of his own freestyle moves in "Weird Al" Yankovic's "White & Nerdy" video
- Macy Gray: Baby-voiced singer and performer on DWTS Season 4 (who famously commented on Apolo Anton Ohno's "huge bulge" to reporters)
- Kelly Osbourne: Reality star/"singer"
- Debi Mazar: Actress (Entourage) and friend of Madonna
- Mya: Singer best known for the "Lady Marmalade" cover also featuring DWTS Season 8 contestant Lil' Kim and appearing in the film Chicago
- Melissa Joan Hart: actress (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Clarissa Explains it All, Drive Me Crazy) and candy store owner
- Michael Irvin: NFL Hall of Famer and former Dallas Cowboys teammate of DWTS Season 3 winner Emmitt Smith
- Ashley Hamilton: Comedian/actor best known for being the son of DWTS Season 2 contestant George Hamilton and the ex-husband of Shannen Doherty
- Aaron Carter: Singer and brother of Backstreet Boy Nick Carter
- Kathy Ireland: Model/entrepreneur featured in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for 13 consecutive years
- Natalie Coughlin: U.S. swimmer with 11 Olympic medals, became the first female athlete to win six medals in a single Games at Beijing
- Louie Vito: Pro snowboarder
- Chuck Liddell: UFC Hall of Fame fighter known as The Iceman
- Mark Dacascos: Actor and martial artist best known as the Chairman of Iron Chef America's Kitchen Stadium
- Joanna Krupa: Swimsuit model most recently partnered with Terrell Owens on ABC's The Superstars
Bad hair days can also mean bad mood days. You're not alone. Blame the place you live. TotalBeauty.com ranked cities for all they contribute to bad hair, based on the national averages of humidity/wind/rain/sun, the hardness of the water, pollution levels and even the number of salons in the area ready to do the necessary repair work. Top 10 worst cities for bad hair days:
- Corpus Christi, TX -- Why? It's hot, humid, has hard water and is home to only a few salons.
- Olympia, WA -- Why? The days are rainy and the air is humid. And you'll have a hard time finding anyone to even cut your hair since there are only 25 listed hairstylists in the city.
- Pittsburgh -- Why? It's polluted. Very, very polluted. And pollution has been known to cause premature balding, graying and dullness.
- Las Vegas -- Why? That desert climate--dry and sunny--will scorch your hair.
- Phoenix -- Why? It has the nation's most extreme climate and very hard water.
- Pensacola, FL -- Why? It's one of the wettest cities. Even worse, the salons cater to the retirement crowd--wash, curl, comb-out and lots of hair spray.
- Fresno, CA -- Why? It's sunny and polluted.
- Houston -- Why? It's hot, humid and has very hard water.
- Tucson, AZ -- Why? Too much sun and hard water.
- New Orleans -- Why? It's humid and wet.
So, what one word in the English language is most frequently misspelled? It's "supersede." That's the word from Collins Dictionaries of Britain, which says it's misspelled one out of every 10 times it is used because many other words with phonetically similar endings, such as "intercede" and "precede," are spelled with the letter "c" instead of "s." Runners-up are: conscience, indict, foreign, mortgage and phlegm.
Pantyhose are going the way of the girdle and for many of the same reasons. Sales of the once ubiquitous leg wear are sagging due to women forsaking pumps and dresses for slacks and jeans in the workplace plus the fact that the constricting stockings are just plain uncomfortable. Researchers at Hanes, the leading seller of hosiery in the country, say women between the ages of 25 to 54 now wear pantyhose an average of just 1.8 times a week, down from 3.5 times a week 10 years ago.
(Allure) You don't need to initiate strip poker to be the sexiest girl in the room. Body language is a smile way to convey sexiness. "Self-assurance is the key to projecting attractiveness," says Beverly B. Palmer, professor of psychology at California State University, Dominguez Hills. She suggest:
- Make eye contact -- "A quick glance communicates interest," Palmer says; "a lingering look moves it a step further." In fact, an independent study found that prolonged eye contact is one of the most successful tactics in initiate flirting.
- Touch your clothes -- Adjusting your necklace or smoothing the hemline of your skirt leads the eye to the feminine parts of your body without being vulgar.
- Be on your toes -- At a part, staying on your feet makes you look confident. "Don't allow yourself to be visually lower than everyone else," Palmer advises. "We all pay attention to someone who's higher up."
- Don't be cross -- Crossing your ankles and folding your arms says "stay away." Lean forward while talking, and leave your arms at your sides. "Open posture says you welcome interaction," says Palmer. "People like to feel wanted."
WHAT MAKES YOUR OPINION SO IMPORTANT?
(Sun) What is it about you that makes family and friends seek your advice? Discover the trait that gives your opinion so much weight by answering the questions on this short quiz. Give yourself "5 points" for every "a" and "10 points" for every "b."
It's pretty outside, but the weatherman calls for rain. You:
- Plan a picnic anyway.
- Have your fun indoors.
Having a checklist of tasks:
- Isn't important.
- Is a must.
The day your child graduated was:
At the end of a rotten day at work, you:
- Cool down by watching a comedy on the tube.
- Relax by sharing your grievances with a pal on the phone.
When it came to childhood nicknames, you:
- Didn't have one.
- Had several through the years.
25 to 30 - Your powerful intuition gives you the advantage of knowing what others are thinking. But rather than pushing your views, you wait for loved ones to ask before stating your opinion.
35 to 40 - You're a smart cookie who sees the positive side of almost any situation. Your upbeat solutions give your family and friends the confidence to make their own decisions.
45 to 50 - You're a non-judgmental person who's open to new ideas. You're also a terrific listener who notices even the smallest details and uses them to form a balance opinion.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Former Senator John Edwards is going to admit that he is the father of his former mistress' 18-month-old daughter.
- Only 53%, on average, of entering students at four-year colleges manage to graduate in six years. According to a study by the American Enterprise Institute, Harvard's graduation rate is 97%, while Southern University at New Orleans reported 8%.
- Jerry O'Connell has gone back to school... law school. He's enrolled in L.A. Southwestern Law School and started classes last week.
- Best guess is that Jon and Kate's divorce will be finalized at the end of September.
- This fall, Calvin Klein is unveiling his line of Body jeans, which are specially crafted to hug and enhance all of a guy's below the belt curves.
- Natalie Cole says it's been three months since the transplant operation and she feels great with her new kidney.
- There's a push to make Brad Pitt the next mayor of New Orleans... but he's saying "Thanks but no thanks."
- Remember Omarosa from "The Apprentice"? She's scheduled to begin her studies at United Theological Seminary in Dayton today.
- Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps crashed his Cadillac Escalade into a Honda Accord last Thursday in Baltimore. He wasn't hurt. Police are still sorting out who was responsible for what.
THIS WEEK IS
National Friendship Week -- The type of friends you prefer reveals a lot about your personality, says psychologist Dr. Elayne Kahn, co-author of "1001 Ways You Reveal Your Personality."
- Just one close friend -- You need someone to confide in and trust. You don't trust people very easily, but once you do you're very loyal. You take friendship very seriously and never take your friends for granted.
- Friends of your own sex only -- You enjoy tradition and believe boys should be boys and girls should be girls. You're more comfortable when people are in more traditional roles. You enjoy friends who have something in common with you.
- Friends of the opposite sex only -- You enjoy being the center of attention, but don't like competing for it. Intimacy is very important to you, and you're capable of deep relationships.
- Friends you just party with -- You love to socialize, but don't like people getting too close. You're very independent and want to stay that way - and you especially don't like to become dependent on one person.
- Friends from the workplace -- You love achieving, working hard, making money and always moving ahead. All things in your life - including friendships - are geared toward making your career as successful as possible.
- Different friends for different occasions -- If, for example, you go dancing with one group of friends and play touch football with another, you're well-organized, but don't like to become too involved with people. You're a busy, active person.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Taylor Swift will return to England this week for two back-to-back performances at the annual V-Festival, with scheduled appearances on Saturday (August 22nd) at the Hylands Park event and on Sunday (August 23rd) at the Weston Park event. Swift will be the only country artist on the V-Fest stages. Other performers include The Killers, Lily Allen, and Lady Gaga.
- Swift was in the UK earlier this year for a series of media appearances immediately prior to her trek across Australia.
- She said, "The fans over here have been so great to me. I especially love it how they all pronounce my name 'Tay-Lah'! I would love to come back and do a full tour in the UK at some point. And ultimately it's a goal of mine to tour the world, and to play in all kinds of countries."
- Following this weekend's festival appearances, British fans will see Swift return to London on November 23rd for a headlining show at Wembley Arena.
- Swift recorded the song "Tonight" from the Broadway musical, West Side Story, for the upcoming MTV Video Music Awards. Her version will be combined with performances by Cobra Starship, Katy Perry, Russell Brand and Ne-Yo. The MTV Video Movie Awards will be held on September 13th in New York City. Swift is up for Best Female Video for "You Belong With Me."
- Upon her return to the U.S., Swift's first performance will be a sold out show in the Big Apple at Madison Square Garden on August 27th.
- Her current single, "You Belong With Me," tops the country charts this week.
Blake Shelton decided to take a different approach to his latest hit, "I'll Just Hold On." While he loved what the song had to say, Shelton tells us he knew he needed to give it a little edge to make it a fan favorite. "I knew it was a unique song and had a cool message and lyrically it was written like no other song I'd ever heard before, so we decided when we recorded it to try to make it interesting immediately when the intro started and that's how we decided with sitar and the sitar taking the solo and things like that, so it just stood out just that much more on radio."
Sugarland's new Live On The Inside live CD/DVD package tops both the all-genre Billboard 200 chart and the Top Country Albums chart this week. Jennifer Nettles
- He definitely did something right because "I'll Just Hold On" is a Top 10 hit and climbing on the Billboard country chart.
- Shelton performed a sold-out show on Saturday (August 15th) night at the West Georgia Technical College campus in Waco. The annual Black Tie & Boots dinner and concert is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the school's foundation.
and Kristian Bush say the DVD is an opportunity for fans to watch their live show night after night from the comfort of their own homes. ["You'll get to see the full length show, which is an hour and a half, and in addition to that, you also get a live CD that has a few songs from that same live show, but the majority of which are covers that we've done live and collected over the past few years, everything from Beyonce to the B52s to Kings of Leon."
Carrie Underwood, Jake Owen, John Rich and Hank Williams, Jr.
- Live On The Inside is available exclusively at Walmart.
- The duo will join Keith Urban at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. on Thursday (August 20th).
entertained a crowd of more than 75,000 fans at Fort Campbell, Kentucky on Friday (August 14th). The show kicked off the "Week of Eagles" at the base, which is a bi-annual tribute to the Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne Division, who returned from their service in the Middle East.
On Saturday (August 15th), Darius Rucker, Rodney Atkins, and Jypsi concluded the two-day concert.
- This was Underwood's second time to play for troops; she played for soldiers while on tour in Kuwait and Iraq in 2006.
Randy Houser and James Otto will co-headline the 12th Annual Buds-n-Suds Benefit Concert in downtown Nashville on August 26th. The event, which will be held at Loser's Bar and Grill, raises money for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) Tennessee Chapter.
- The event will include a silent auction including memorabilia from musicians, athletes and other celebrities. Featured items include signed guitars from Eric Clapton, Van Halen and Sheryl Crow; an autographed fiddle from Dolly Parton; signed jerseys from Peyton Manning and Kenny Chesney; and lithographs of the film Scarface signed by Al Pacino.
- Advance tickets can be purchased online at onlife.ccfa.org.
What act is the only Canadian country band to have a Number One hit on the country charts in the U.S.?
A. Emerson Drive
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 10:00AM (ET)
Gloriana, Katie Armiger
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 7:00PM (ET)
CHELSEA LATELY/ETV 11:00PM (ET)
PURE COUNTRY/CMT 9:00PM, 11:30PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Brooks & Dunn's first album, Brand New Man, was certified platinum in 1992.
- Sugarland's "Baby Girl" single was released to retail in 2004. It became the group's first hit single.
- Vince Gill's When Love Finds You album went gold and platinum simultaneously in 1994.
- George Strait's "You Know Me Better Than That" began a three-week stay at Number One on the Billboard country chart in 1991.
- Highwayman, featuring Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, appeared at the top of the Billboard chart in 1985.
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP - UP
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- AUGUST 14-16
The sci-fi thriller District 9 debuted at the top of the weekend box office, bouncing last week's Number One, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, to second place. A cast of unknown actors stars in District 9, a story about extraterrestrials forced by humans to live in a South African ghetto after they were marooned on Earth. It was directed and co-written by South African native Neill Blomkamp, who's making his feature debut after previously directing commercials and music videos, and produced by Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson.
- District 9, $37 million
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, $22.5 million
- The Time Traveler's Wife, $19.2 million
- Julie & Julia, $12.4 million
- G-Force, $6.9 million
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard, $5.4 million
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $5.2 million
- The Ugly Truth, $4.5 million
- Ponyo, $3.5 million
- 500 Days of Summer, $3 million
The romantic drama The Time Traveler's Wife, starring Eric Bana as a man who can travel through time and Rachel McAdams as the woman he loves, opened in third place, while Jeremy Piven's used-car comedy The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard, debuted at Number Six. Ponyo, the animated story of a goldfish who wants to become human, opened in ninth place. It stars the voices of Noah Cyrus, Betty White, Frankie Jonas, Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Cloris Leachman and Liam Neeson.
- The teen rock and roll movie Bandslam, starring Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical fame and Lisa Kudrow, opened out of the top 10, at Number 13.
JERRY SEINFELD TO BE JAY LENO'S FIRST GUEST: Jerry Seinfeld will be the first sit-down guest on The Jay Leno Show when it premieres on September 14th. It was previously announced that Jay-Z, Kanye West and Rihanna will be the musical guests on Leno's primetime debut. Leno has said that the show will retain some elements from his time on the Tonight show -- like the segment "Jaywalking," but will also feature new bits like celebrities racing electric cars around a track.
JON HAMM'S GIRLFRIEND REPORTEDLY WANTS 'MAD MEN' GUEST SPOT: The girlfriend of Mad Men star Jon Hamm reportedly wants a guest spot on the hit show. The New York Post reports that Jennifer Westfeldt -- most famous for Kissing Jessica Stein -- "has been angling" for a role on the show, but producers told her that "they can't find the right storyline."
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. TO PLAY VAMPIRE? Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly in talks to join a new vampire film. BloodyDisgusting.com reports that the actor is in negotiations to play Anne Rice's Lestat Du Lioncort in the latest movie adaptation of her Vampire Chronicles. Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend have both played the part of Lestat Du Lioncort in Interview With the Vampire and Queen of the Damned, respectively.
'SAVING GRACE' CANCELED: Holly Hunter's TNT drama Saving Grace has been canceled. Variety reports that the series will end its run after nine episodes scheduled for next summer. Although the program has received critical acclaim, DVD sales were weak and a smaller episode order made it unlikely that it would earn money through syndication.
ALYSSA MILANO GETS MARRIED: Alyssa Milano married Hollywood agent David Bugliari on Saturday (August 15th). The actress's rep confirmed to People magazine that the couple said their "I do's" in front of family and friends at Bugliari's family estate in New Jersey. Among the guests was actor Bradley Cooper, who is a friend of the groom. The couple became engaged last December.
'TWILIGHT' CO-STARS REPORTEDLY SEEN KISSING: Twilight co-stars Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were reportedly spotted kissing at a Kings of Leon concert in Vancouver over the weekend. It's been widely rumored that the on-screen couple also enjoys a romance when the cameras stop rolling. To see the supposed kiss, go to: http://tinyurl.com/mugc9a
MARK WAHLBERG REPORTEDLY HOSPITALIZED: Mark Wahlberg was reportedly hospitalized last Friday (August 14th) after suffering smoke inhalation on the set of his new film, The Fighter. A source told RadarOnline.com, "Mark was working on a scene [Thursday night] where a smoke machine was being used for atmosphere and apparently he breathed in too much smoke. When he woke up Friday morning he was gasping for breath so he was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was put on a breathing device that helped clear his lungs." The site reported that he was released and was back at work later that same day.
KENDRA WILKINSON REVEALS BABY NAME: Kendra Wilkinson will name her son Hank Baskett IV, after his father. The E! reality star, who recently announced she and Baskett are expecting a son, took to her blog to announce the name. Wilkinson wrote, "Hank and i have soooo much to do to prepare for our baby's arrival, but one thing we can already cross off our list is coming up with a name. We've already decided to name our son Hank Baskett IV!!!" She added, "Hank's dad and his grandfather were both named Hank, so it was very important to us to carry on the family tradition."
SARAH CHALKE PREGNANT: Scrubs star Sarah Chalke is pregnant. People magazine reports that the 32-year-old actress and her fiance -- entertainment lawyer Jamie Afifi -- are expecting their first child this winter. The couple has been engaged since 2006.
AMY RYAN ALSO PREGNANT!: Oscar nominee Amy Ryan is pregnant. A rep for the actress, who most recently has starred on The Office, confirmed to Usmagazine.com that she and her comedy writer fiance, Eric Slovin are expecting their child in October.
BOLLYWOOD ACTOR DETAINED IN US AIRPORT: Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained at New Jersey's Newark International Airport on Friday (August 14th) night, reportedly over his name. Khan told CNN's sister network in India, "They kept on telling me that my name is common to some name that has popped up on the computer, so they need to follow procedure. It took them an hour and a half, two hours; they kept on asking me questions, if I could give them any ... numbers in America that they can contact and vouch for me and who I am." He was eventually allowed to leave after Indian Embassy officials intervened.
TRICKS TO REMEMBERING HIS NAME (YourTango.com)
- Look them in their eye and say their name over and over in conversation, even if you are not directly talking to them. "Stacy has a good point about the consequences of run-away government." Bill Clinton uses this technique to remember people's names from years back.
- Use a mnemonic device. When learning the person's name, try using rhyming, alliteration or another reference to recall the name. If his name is Leonard and he has a chinstrap beard, he can be Lincoln Lenny or Penny Lenny.
- Write it down. One of the best ways to remember anything is to write it down. Chances are you'll have a mobile phone or a pen and paper handy. This is sort of a weak move but way better than brain fading when it's go-time.
- Association. If you can think of a character, celebrity or person in your life with the same first name, use it. Transpose a mental image of them standing together. Be careful not use a celebrity and then confuse a character he/ she plays, for example, if his name is Leonard, think of Leonardo but not of Jack, Danny Archer, Gilbert Grape, William Costigan or Howard Hughes, per se.
- Technology. Facebook this person as fast as you can. Many handhelds allow you to hit Facebook remotely. If that fails, take a pic on the downlow and label it with that person's name (if you've the technological capacity).
- Last-ditch efforts, nicknames. Using someone's most attractive feature as nickname will work for a little while. Be prepared to dig through someone's wallet as soon as they leave for the bathroom (I kid).
- Really last-ditch effort, ask. If you really like this person, but not enough to remember his/ her name obviously, ask them. But take an angle on your query. Maybe ask if he/ she was named after anyone of what they think of the name.
DID YOU KNOW?
WOMEN SPEND 16 MONTHS OF THEIR LIVES CRYING: Researchers found that between birth and the age of 78 a woman will cry for more than 12,000 hours -- 16 months -- for reasons including hunger as a baby to falling out with a partner when older. The poll of 3,000 people, conducted by www.TheBabyWebsite.com, shows the reasons why women cry change dramatically over our lifetime. During their first year they will shed tears for three hours a day when they need changing, feeding or entertaining. When they grow older, teenage girls cry for approximately 2 hours and 13 minutes a week and by their mid 20s they will cry for as much as 2.24 hours a week after falling out with their partner, watching a soppy film or losing a loved one.
CHECK IT OUT: The ideal pet! A U.K. insurance firm determined the "perfect pet" based on people's preference for rabbit ears, cat faces, golden retriever bodies and horse tails. Click to see a picture of what it would look like: http://tinyurl.com/rao6ze
SHOULD HOUSEGUESTS HAVE SEX? Redbook explored the debate: should you have sex when staying as a guest at someone's house? One reader responded, "It is never acceptable to have sex at a friend's or relative's house when you're a houseguest. No one wants to think about their sister, parents, kids, friends, etc., "getting it on" in the next room." Another meanwhile said, "It is always appropriate to get hot and heavy, unless you are staying with your parents. Then it's only appropriate to get warm and light."MILLIONS OF WOMEN SNORE: According to the British Snoring Association, there are 4.5 million female snorers in the U.K. -- compared with 10.4million men.
THE AMOUNT OF SEXUAL DESIRE WE FEEL -- be it a lot or a little -- could have more to do with genetic programming than feelings of romance, love and lust. LiveScience and London's Daily Mail report that researchers from Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel have determined the source of our sexual desire could be in our genes, a discovery that might change how psychologists view sexuality and lead to new drugs that could alter sexual desire.
KIDS ARE BEING TAUGHT TO WRITE ON COMPUTER Keyboards in kindergarten with the result that fewer and fewer can read handwritten material. More than 85% of students now write the essay part of students now write the essay part of the SAT exam in block letters, because they don't know how to write what is called cursive script, in which the letters are joined together. What's more, they don't know how to read it, either. Astonishingly, most teachers don't care that handwriting is becoming a lost art.Napping can have an influence on child behavior. Researchers analyzed data from 62 children between ages 4 and 5, 48 of whom still took daytime naps and 14 who did not. Total 24 hour sleep time did not differ between nappers and non nappers. Results indicated that the non nappers have higher levels of hyperactivity, anxiety and depression. "It is possible that napping is important for optimal daytime functioning in children at this period of development," concluded study head Dr. Brain Crosby of Pennsylvania State University. (National Enquirer)
A robotic rat with carbon fiber whiskers is set to revolutionize the vital world of search and rescue. Relying on the super-sensitive whiskers, the mechanical rodent can find and identify objects in zero visibility environments such as collapsed mines and smoke filled burning buildings. The rat, developed by scientists at the University of Bristol and the University of Sheffield in England, has nine sets of nine whiskers arrayed on each of its cheeks. They move up and down six times a second, using motors to mimic the way a rat's facial muscles work. With its twitching whiskers, the rat can lead firefighters to victims of smoke inhalation in burning buildings or even search for people under water. "Applications for wisher technology could include using robots in conditions where vision is seriously compromised," says Dr. Tony Pipe, deputy director of the Bristol Robotics laboratory. (Sun)
Sit down at the table, fold your napkin in your lap and chew slowly. Very, very slowly. If you do this, you will not only enjoy the meal more, but also eat less and lose weight. That"s the promise of researchers from the University of Rhode Island in Kingston, who have confirmed what your mother always knew: Wolfing down your food isn't good for your waistline or table manners.
Is your ring finger longer than your index finger? If so, you're up to three times more likely to develop arthritis of the knee than women whose ring fingers are the same length as or shorter than their pointers. The British scientists who discovered the link speculate that it may have to do with hormones. This finger pattern is more common in women with low estrogen levels. Another clue: men are more likely to have longer ring fingers, but for the, these's less of an arthritis link. (Good Housekeeping)
Your belly fat may be making you hungrier. Scientists believed that the brain alone produced the appetite stimulating hormone neuropeptide Y. Now it appears that fat makes it too, creating a vicious cycle: We eat too much, gain more fat, and produce more hormone, says Kaiping Yang, Ph.D., of the University of Western Ontario.
You always hear that 8 cups a day is a must for preventing headaches, flushing out toxins and staying healthy in general, but a recent review of scientific studies found no evidence to support any of these claims. "A healthy person only needs to drink enough so that she's not thirsty," says Stanely Goldfarb, MD, coauthor of the review. Most of us get more than enough fluids: Women get an average of 10 cups a day and men an average of 14, says Dr. Goldfarb. But about 20% of that water comes from water rich foods like lettuce, broccoli, grapefruit, carrots, and of course, soup. (Woman's Day)
It's been said that cats have nine lives, and recent research shows they can help extend your life, too. Owning a cat could slash your risk of heart attack by almost a third. How? Your kitty may help relieve stress and anxiety two heart disease risk factors. So help save a cat's life and your own: Now is the purr-fect time to adopt since shelters are overwhelmed with homeless cats. Visit Pet Finder online at http://www.petfinder.org
You know the shooting pain that comes from schlepping a heavy purse? Here's why it happens: "Straps compress the auxiliary vein, causing high blood pressure, numbness, tingling, pain, and weakness in the arm," says Tim Neuschwander, M.D. In a study he conducted, adults who wore a 28-pound backpack for 10 minutes experienced an almost 50 percent decrease in blood blow through the blood vessels in their arms. "And carrying a 13-pound purse for 10 minutes may have a similar effect, since it's resting on only one shoulder," he says. Try lightening your load a little, or distribute weight more evenly with an ergonomic hand bag. (Redbook)
THE NASCAR REPORT FOR AUGUST 17TH, 2009
SPRINT CUP - CAR FAX 400
The pole sitter Brian Vickers saved enough fuel to finish first at Michigan. It's Brian's second career Cup Series win and the first win for Toyota in Michigan. Brian is now just 12 points outside the top 12 in points.
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
- Kurt Busch pounded the inside wall after touching David Ragan's machine, Kurt ends up 36th on the day and drops to 6th in points
- Kyle Busch hoping to get into the top 12 in points notched a 23rd place finish and dropped two spots in the standings to 15th
- Juan Pablo Montoya cut a tire down after contact with Kasey Kahne and ends up 19th
- Jimmie Johnson led the most laps in this one, but with 3 laps to go, the 48 ran out of fuel while leading and finished 33rd
- Mark Martin ran out of fuel on the last lap sending him to 31st
Sprint Cup Car Fax 400
Michigan International Speedway, Brooklyn, Michigan
August 16th, 2009
- Brian Vicker
- Jeff Gordon
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.
- Carl Edwards
- Sam Hornish Jr.
- Casey Mears
- Joey Logano *
- Clint Bowyer
- David Reutimann
- Denny Hamlin
NATIONWIDE SERIES - CARFAX 250
Brad Keselowski wins his 3rd race of the season, this one coming at his home track
OTHER STORIES ON THE DAY
- Carl Edwards wrecked on lap 2 and finished 40th and dropped a bunch of points to Kyle Busch
- Kyle Busch was (yet again) unhappy that there were any other race cars on the track. Brian Vickers said "Oh, man I tell you, I am so sorry, I forgot that this was the Kyle Busch Show, hell I thought we were racing for the win." Kyle was angry that Brian slowed his momentum coming to the checkered flag allowing Keselowski to rocket past for the win. Busch rushed Vickers car on pit road, exchanged some words, and when Brian got out of his car, Busch was whisked away. Brian said he wanted to "settle this like men"
Nationwide Series Carfax 250
Michigan International Speedway, Brooklyn, Michigan
August 15th, 2009
- Brad Keselowski
- Brian Vickers
- Kyle Busch
- David Ragan
- Kevin Harvick
- Ryan Newman
- Justin Allgaier *
- Greg Biffle
- Jeff Burton
- Paul Menard
DENZEL EXECUTIVE PRODUCER?
Denzel Washington, the only African American actor to win two Oscars for his work on the big screen, is considering a new role in television. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the actor could be an executive producer on the new cop drama Billy Stiles, from TV writer Virgil Williams. Fox is in talks to pick up the project.
- Billy Stiles is describes as an ensemble drama centers on the title character, a genius gang member turned cop. The project was developed from a short story Williams wrote and was later developed as a cable series before Fox expressed interest.
- Washington earned a best supporting actor Oscar for Glory, followed by a best actor trophy for Training Day. He was last seen in the film The Taking Of Pelham 1, 2, 3 opposite John Travolta. He has several films on his schedule, including Inside Man 2 with old friend Spike Lee.
- Washington has done his time in series television as well, getting his start as an earnest doctor on the 1980s hospital drama St. Elsewhere.
Paula Abdul is reportedly seriously interested in returning to American Idol.
Sources tell TMZ.com that the unemployed former pop star is still hoping to be offered a $10 million contract with the show after meetings with ABC didn't go as she planned.
- An insider told the website that Abdul does not want to do Dancing With the Stars -- and has decided against doing a guest appearance on Ugly Betty because the network leaked news of the casting without her consent.
- The website said that it's unclear whether or not Idol executives have contacted Abdul's reps -- and whether or not she is willing to budge on the $10 salary demand.
KATIE HOLMES IS LAUNCHING HER OWN CLOTHING LINE.
Katie Holmes is launching her own clothing line. Women's Wear Daily reports that the actress inspired to venture into fashion after teaming up with her stylist to design the dress she wore at last year's Tropic Thunder premiere.
- Holmes' rep told People.com, "Her line will be sold at Maxfield in the fall."
- The line will reportedly include "premium" women's clothes and children's wear -- inspired by her daughter Suri.
JON GOSSELIN CALLS POLICE!
Jon Gosselin explained the incident that led estranged wife Kate to call the police to their home last Thursday (August 13th) telling Splash News that it was "a miscommunication. The reality dad said, "[Kate] tried to come home yesterday and I wouldn't let her in the gate and I guess she called the police." He confirmed earlier reports that Kate arrived at the house because she did not approve of the babysitter who was with Jon in the residence.
No arrests were made, and Kate eventually drove to a nearby Days Inn to spend the night. RadarOnline.com reports that when checking into the hotel, Kate's nose was red and it appeared she'd been crying.
Jon admitted, "She tried to 'cry it up' with the cops and it didn't work. They said, 'You have to leave.'"
- RadarOnline.com reported that Kate left the hotel at 4 a.m. on Friday (August 14th) -- flanked by a police escort that shooed away any paparazzi waiting in the parking lot. A paparazzo that attempted to follow her told the website that Kate was driving about 95 miles an hour and shut off her headlight several times when she got near an exit, in an apparent attempt to try to throw off the photographers who were trailing her.
- The babysitter in question was nanny Stephanie Santoro, who Jon had hired and was rumored to have hooked up with.
- Meanwhile, Jon's girlfriend Hailey Glassman spoke to E! about her relationship with the 32-year-old, calling him her "first love." The 22-year-old dismissed claims that she was dating Gosselin to gain her own level of celebrity, explaining, "I'm not some famous person -- I'm just a 22-year-old girl who got caught in the middle of all this."
- Of the media storm surrounding the family, Glassman said, "Jon and Kate have moved on with their lives. It's only the viewers who haven't moved on."
BRAD PITT SAYS HE QUIT MARIJUANA FOR HIS KIDS
Brad Pitt admitted that he used to smoke marijuana -- but says that he gave up the habit once he had children. After talk show host Bill Maher recalled that Pitt harbored a talent for rolling joints, the father of six joked, "I'm an artist."
- Speaking seriously to Maher on his HBO show Real Time, Pitt explained that he's pot-free because "I'm a dad now, and you want to be alert."
- Maher brought up the subject after lamenting about a New Year's Eve party where Pitt "just, all night, rolled these perfect joints. The most perfect joints I've ever seen."
CHECK IT OUT
CHECK IT OUT: http://www.womenwithmustaches.com/
DUTCH HAVE MORE FUN IN BATHROOM THAN BEDROOM: Dutch people reportedly enough going to the bathroom more than they enjoy sex. According to a poll conducted by the ANP news agency of 1,000 adults -- 88 percent listed a visit to the bathroom as something "they enjoy the most," making it the most popular activity chosen. Only 21 percent did the same for sex. The second most popular activity, according to the survey, was having a good chat with friends. Outdoor recreation took third place. CHECK IT OUT: http://tackyweddings.com/
PEOPLE HANDLE INSULTS BETTER LYING DOWN: Asylum.com reports that people handle insults better when they are in a prone position. Researchers at Texas A&M didn't tell students in a study that they were measuring anger, and had them listen to a recording of a voice disparaging their intelligence. Half of the group did so while sitting in a chair, and the rest lying on a bed. All were hooked up to a brain scan. While both groups got equally angry, the seated students showed more activity than the bed bound participants in the part of the brain linked to "approach motivation" -- meaning "doing something about it."IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION
According to Wikipedia, who is the most frequent Saturday Night Live guest host?
A: Steve Martin As of 2009, Martin has hosted 15 times -- beating his previous record, which he'd tied with Alec Baldwin -- of 14.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Guitar innovator and inventor Les Paul died Thursday. He was 94.
- Anna Faris married actor Chris Pratt in Bali on July 9th.
- Brad Pitt and Ashton Kutcher will be guests on tonight's "Real Time With Bill Maher" on HBO at 10pm.
- As many nice things as Molly Ringwald had to say about the late John Hughes and how he launched her career, she admits that she had not talked to the director in 20 years.
- There were enough protests by producers and writers about the changes that the Emmy's have reversed their decision. They were going to announce 8 category winners off-air... but now, they'll have the full assortment of 28 on the show September 20.
- Kate Gosselin told Regis & Kelly that she and her estranged husband, Jon, definitely won't be getting back together.
- General Motors claims its new plug-in electric car, the Chevy Volt, will get 230 miles per gallon in the city. But, you still have to pay for the electricity. At 11 cents per kilowatt-hour, the typical Volt driver would pay about $2.75 for electricity to travel 100 miles.
- Paul Giamatti is going to replace Sean Penn as Larry in the upcoming Three Stooges movie. Good choice!
- Jet Blue is offering a one-month pass for $599. Fly as much as you want, between September 8th and October 8th. We like the concept.
- It's been hard getting details about Steven Tyler's condition after he fell off that stage in South Dakota last week. What we have managed to hear is that Steven broke his shoulder blade in two places.
- Tivo says that during the last season of "American Idol," their subscribers fast-forwarded through Paula Abdul's comments more than those of any of the other judges.
- John Quade, who appeared in several Clint Eastwood movies and was the sheriff in the TV miniseries "Roots," has died. He was 71.
- Brooks and Dunn say they decided to end their musical partnership after they began running out of new ideas!
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Justin Moore finally saw the release of his self-titled debut album earlier this week. He's released three songs off the project over the past year, and he tells us that each of the 10 tracks on the CD help identify him to country fans. "I've been writing songs for like seven years now in town and I have quite a few songs that I'm really, really proud of, you know? You only get one shot at your first record, and I definitely wanted people to know who I was as a person, and also wanted to do some things different. I wanted people to go, 'That sounds like a Justin Moore song right there.'"
Moore said he set out to separate himself from the rest of today's new artists with such autobiographical material as his first Top 10 hit, "Small Town USA." "It's really tough on new acts. A lot of times guys'll go, 'Man, I really like that song but who sang that?' or 'I can't remember who sings that,' so I chose a lot of songs based on that and I chose a lot of songs that obviously describe what I'm about as an individual."
Jack Ingram will appear in Sunday's (August 16th) episode of Army Wives, airing on the Lifetime network at 10 p.m. ET. This is not Ingram's first foray into acting, as he tells us: "I was in Hope Floats a long time ago, that movie with Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick, Jr., and it was the same type of atmosphere. It's not like it was a big acting stretch for me. It was just bein' the bar band. It's just like makin' a video. I play the song 378 times and this particular one I got to kick somebody in the head cause there was a bar fight goin' on. They come up to the stage and they're about to hit the mic and I kick 'em away, so I had to work on my self-defense skills. I had a trainer for that (laughs)."
- The Justin Moore CD was released on Tuesday (August 11th).
Dierks Bentley will host his fourth annual Miles & Music for Kids celebrity motorcycle ride and concert on Sunday, October 11th in Nashville. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt, a Children's Miracle Network Hospital.
- Ingram and his band will be performing his current hit, "Barefoot And Crazy," on the show.
- His part was filmed during CMA Music Festival in Nashville with cast members Wendy Davis and Sally Pressman.
- Ingram makes his debut appearance on The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien on Friday (August 14th).
- His new album, Big Dreams & High Hopes, will be released on August 25th.
- The hour-long ride will begin in Williamson County, Tennessee and end at Riverfront Park in downtown Nashville with a concert featuring Bentley and some special guests, including his labelmates Darius Rucker and Eric Church.
- Bentley tells us the Miles & Music For Kids event is a fun way for everyone to give back. "It's such a fun thing for everyone involved, really. I enjoy getting a chance to call different singers and songwriters and artists and see if they want to come out and be part of it. It's been really fun. It's one of those things you get a chance to do where really there's no downside. I mean, a lot of people put a lot of time in working on it, but once the day is there it's just fun for everyone involved. Every year we're trying to raise a little bit more money for Vanderbilt, for the the hospital, but we don't want to lose that vibe of what makes this thing so much fun, which is just the down-home deal about it. This has kind of become one of those things where it's just a fun hang and you can get out and see other folks in the business and hear some music, raise some money, so it's great!"
- Tickets to Miles & Music For Kids go on sale on Friday (August 15th) through Ticketmaster.
- This year, Bentley has joined forces with Nationwide Insurance, CMT ONE COUNTRY and the Children's Miracle Network to expand the Miles & Music for Kids event to six cities across the country in 2009 and 2010. The proceeds will benefit Children's Miracle Network hospitals in those areas.
- In the three previous years, Miles & Music for Kids has raised over $500,000 for Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.
The new animated video for Toby Keith's new single, "American Ride," makes its world premiere on CMT on Friday (August 14th) beginning at 6 a.m. ET. Described as "politically-charged,"the clip will air every hour on the hour during the network's video hours throughout the weekend.
- Keith said, "I'm a 'right-wrong guy' not a 'right-left guy' and this video shows that. We took our shots at everyone."
- "American Ride" is the title track to Keith's upcoming album, which will be released on October 13th.
Friends, fans, musicians and the entertainment industry in general are mourning the loss of Les Paul, who died on Thursday (August 13th) at the age of 94. Paul died of complications from severe pneumonia at White Plains Hospital in White Plains, New York.
The legendary musician is perhaps best known for his pioneering efforts in the creation of the solid-body electric guitar. His template for the Les Paul model, which was introduced in 1952, is Gibson's best-selling electric.
In addition to creating signature guitar sounds, Paul invented many recording techniques, including overdubbing, delay effects such as tape delay, phasing effects, and multi-track recording.
Paul and his former wife, Mary Ford, had a string of hits during the 1950s while signed to Capitol Records, including "How High the Moon", "Bye Bye Blues", "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise", and "Vaya Con Dios." Paul and Ford were inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1977.
In 1988, Paul was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
On the occasion of his 90th birthday in 2005, a collaborative album, called Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played was released. The project featured pairings with Paul and other electric guitar greats, including Keith Richards, Buddy Guy, Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Joe Perry. Paul won two Grammy Awards for tracks on the album, for Best Pop Instrumental Performance and Best Rock Instrumental Performance.
At the time that American Made World Played was released, Paul told us that he could hear his influence in the guitar playing of the younger generations, but he was just as proud that they moved forward with whatever they learned from him: "They've taken the, the licks and the ideas and applied 'em differently, so it's very amusing, or very interesting, to me to see how they've changed it and made it work, made it so new and different. It's always a pleasure to hear someone creating something new."
A private funeral service for Paul will be held in New York . A service in Paul's birthplace of Waukesha, Wisconsin will be announced at a later date.
The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Les Paul Foundation, 236 West 30th Street, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10001.
The following statements were issued after news of Paul's death:
Joe Satriani -- "Les Paul set a standard for musicianship and innovation that remains unsurpassed. He was the original guitar hero, and the kindest of souls. Last October I joined him onstage at The Iridium club in NYC, and he was still shredding. He was and still is an inspiration to us all."
Joe Perry -- "As a guitarist and a fan of music in general, I know the amazing contributions Les Paul made in his lifetime to the art of making music. I think if the general public knew how much of that influence is heard every day in the music that they listen to, they would be amazed. He was a true genius. The few times that I had met him, he made me feel like I had known him forever. He was always sharp, ready to rock and he was always talking about his next gig. Knowing that he is not walking the earth anymore is sad and I have lost a friend. But every time I pick up a guitar I'll know that his spirit is alive and well right next to me."
Keith Urban -- "I have a mix of emotions today. On one hand, I am deeply saddened at Les Paul's passing, and on the other a feeling of incredible gratitude and awe for his unquantifiable contribution to the world of music. His name adorns so many of the creations that I communicate through every night out here on the road...He is also very present every time I set foot in the studio and am able to lay multiple tracks as I record, when I use echo, etc., the list of his inventions, in addition to his famous signature model Gibson, are extraordinary. I also feel that even in his nineties, the fact he was still playing every Monday night in New York is perhaps the most beautiful and inspiring achievement of all. As Vince Gill would say, "Go rest high on that mountain Les...cause son, your work on earth is done."
Jimmy Buffett -- Buffett paid tribute to Paul during "A Pirate Looks at 40" performed Thursday night at the DTE Energy Music Theatre in suburban Detroit. Buffett added footage of Paul performing to his video montage during the song and said "Thank you, Les Paul!" just before starting the song's final verse.
Randy Bachman (Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Guess Who) -- "I am deeply touched by the passing of Les Paul who I first met in 1959. As a guitarist, composer, electronic innovator and inventor, he was beyond genius and there was none other like him. He was a true musical gift from God to the world and spent his life honoring that gift. I proudly play my Les Paul guitars every night on stage and never forget the moments we shared."
Neil Portnow (President/CEO of The Recording Academy) -- "Three-time GRAMMY winner Les Paul was a musical mastermind whose innovations in electric guitar and recorded music are unparalleled. A 1983 Trustees Award recipient and a 2001 Technical GRAMMY Award recipient, his career and contributions to popular music will forever be celebrated, and will continue to influence future generations of musicians. His magnetic charm and sunny disposition matched his incredible skill set, and he will always be remembered with great fondness, humility, and respect. The music industry has lost a true innovator and legend."
Terry Stewart (President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum) -- "Without Les Paul, we would not have rock and roll as we know it. His inventions created the infrastructure for the music and his playing style will ripple through generations. He was truly an architect of rock and roll." Miley Cyrus has been lined up to replace Mariah Carey, who canceled her upcoming Today show concert, scheduled for August 28th. No reason was given for why Carey's appearance was canceled; MTV reports she was set to debut tracks off her new album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, on the show.
Carey recently sand her single "Obsessed" on husband Nick Cannon's America's Got Talent, and received tepid reviews for her uninspired performance.
- Meanwhile, Cyrus is wrapping up work on her film, The Last Song. The 16-year-old tweeted on Thursday (August 13th), "Last shoot day in Tybee (Georgia). I don't think my heart can handle it."
- Later in the day she added, "I can't quit crying. I miss Tybee already."
Q. What two Brad Paisley videos feature former Seinfeld star Jason Alexander?
A. "Celebrity" and "Online"
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TOP 20 COUNTDOWN/CMT 11:00AM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
Gatlin Brothers, Keith Anderson
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 1:00PM (ET)
Ashton Shepherd, Vince Gill, Patty Loveless
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Gloriana, Katie Armiger
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN/NBC 11:35PM (ET)
JENNIE GARTH NOT REVEALING 'TWILIGHT' ROMANCES: Contrary to reports, Jennie Garth did not confirm that Rob Pattinson is dating one of his Twilight castmates. The 90210 star -- whose husband, Peter Facinelli, plays the father of Pattinson's character in the films -- caused an uproar after she was quoted saying, "I can't say [if it's Kristen Stewart or Nikki Reed], because that would be breaking my promise to [husband Peter Facinelli], but he is dating one of them!" However, her publicist denied the remark and tracked down the interview transcript which read, "I can't say. That will be breaking my promise to my husband. But I do know."
JERRY O'CONNELL GOING TO LAW SCHOOL: Jerry O'Connell has enrolled in law school. Usmagazine.com confirmed that the actor, who is married to Rebecca Romijn, will study at Los Angeles' Southwestern Law School. A school official told the magazine, "He is very excited to be starting his law school education here at Southwestern. He just had orientation last week, and he started classes this week."
BRAD PITT WON'T BE NEW ORLEANS MAYOR: Brad Pitt is laughing off a campaign that's urging him to run for mayor of New Orleans. Although the actor is helping to rebuild the hard-hit Lower Ninth Ward area through his Make It Right Foundation, he insists that politics is "not what I do best." He joked, "Yeah, I'm running (for the office of mayor) on the gay marriage, no religion, legalization and taxation of marijuana platform! No, I don't have a chance! It's not what I do best."
ABBIE CORNISH TALKS RYAN PHILLIPPE: Abbie Cornish is opening up about her relationship with Ryan Phillippe. The actress -- who was blamed for breaking up her beau's marriage to Reese Witherspoon -- told W magazine of that peroid, "It was a really difficult time for me. "In a normal, successful career, someone usually learns these things bit by bit. For me, it was like night and day. I woke up one day and there was this whole new thing I had to process and deal with." The Australian actress also admits that she moved to Los Angeles for Phillippe. She said, "I guess I was lucky because it was love that brought me here, not work. I think the city feels and looks a little bit different because of that."
HOWARD K. STERN DEFAMATION SUIT GOING FORWARD: A U.S. District judge announced that Howard K. Stern's defamation case -- against an author who claimed he had a sexual relationship with Larry Birkhead -- could move forward on 11 of the 19 allegedly libelous statements. In making the ruling, the judge acknowledged that Rita Cosby may have exaggerated "explosive" claims to sell her book, Cosby's Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death. The expose claims that the men engaged in sexual romps" and said that Stern basically served as a pimp for Smith.
MOVIES OPENING THIS WEEKEND
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE
The new romantic drama The Time Traveler's Wife opens today (August 14th). The story follows Henry DeTamble, played by Eric Bana, a Chicago librarian with a rare genetic disorder that sends him through time whenever he feels extreme emotion, as he tries to establish a normal life with Claire Abshire, played by Rachel McAdams, the young woman he loves.
LIVEHARD, SELL HARDThe new comedy The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard, starring Jeremy Piven, Ed Helms, Ving Rhames, Tony Hale and James Brolin, opens in theaters today (August 14th). The Goods focuses on Don Ready and his crew as they help a local car dealership avoid bankruptcy and turn the town of Temecula upsidedown.
- The Time Traveler's Wife is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 1 hour and 48 minutes.
- The Time Traveler's Wife was directed by Robert Schwentke, know best for directing Flightplan.
- The film also stars Ron Livingston and Arliss Howard.
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard is rated R and has a running time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Opening in wide release today (August 14th) is Paper Heart starring Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera. Paper Heart follows Charlyne as she travels across America to make a documentary about love, the one subject she doesn't fully understand. Cera stars as her love interest. The film includes a cameo from Seth Rogen.
BANDSLAMOpening in theaters today (August 14th) is Bandslam, starring Vanessa Hudgens, Lisa Kudrow, Scott Porter, Gaelen Connell and Alyson Michalka. Bandslam follows new kid in town Will Burton, played by Connell, as he puts together a band to back up fellow student Charlotte Banks, played by Michalka. Charlotte and her band prepare to go head to head with her ex-boyfriend in their school's wildly popular battle of the bands. Will also forms a romance with Sa5m, played by Hudgens, the band's guitarist.
- Paper Hearts is rated PG-13 and has a running time of 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Paper Hearts was originally released on August 7th as a limited release.
- Charlyne Yi is best known for her role as Jodi in Knocked Up.
DISTRICT 9Opening in theaters today (August 14th) is the highly anticipated film District 9. The sci-fi movie takes place in District 9, a slum-like area where refugees from another planet are being forced to live. When the government agency, Multi-National United (MNU) becomes interested in the alien weapons, Wikus van der Merwe, played by Sharlto Copley, the only human who can activate the weapons, becomes a hunted man and takes refuge in District 9.
- Bandslam is rated PG and has a running time of 1 hour and 51 minutes.
PONYOThe new animated Disney movie Ponyo, featuring an all-star cast including Noah Cyrus, Betty White, Frankie Jonas, Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Cloris Leachman and Liam Neeson, opens in theaters today (August 14th), . Ponyo is the story of an overeager goldfish, voiced by Cyrus, on a quest to become human.
- District 9 is rated R and has a running time of 1 hour and 53 minutes.
- District 9 stars Sharlto Copley, David James, Jason Cope and Vanessa Haywood.
- Ponyo is rated G and has a running time of 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Yankee girlfriends Kate Hudson and Minka Kelly are reportedly letting their beaus' bad blood get between them
For the past year Kelly has quietly been dating Derek Jeter -- who it's been reported does not get along with Alex Rodriguez -- Hudson's new boyfriend.
- A source told the New York Post, "There's been visible coldness between Minka and Kate. I don't know if it's a personal thing, or just an extension of the ongoing A-Rod-Jeter rivalry." Another insider added, "People are choosing sides."
- Kelly has kept a low profile since linking up with Jeter, while Hudson on the other hand, has been photographed kissing A-Rod in the stands and cheering him on with her family in highly visible seats.
Jon and Kate Gosselin's divorce
Jon and Kate Gosselin's divorce will reportedly be final next month. RadarOnline.com reports that the couple's lawyers have been hammering out a deal behind the scenes and the ten-year marriage should officially be severed by late September.
- Meanwhile, the website is also reporting that Jon's new girlfriend has lined up her first major interview. RadarOnline.com claims that 22-year-old Hailey Glassman has agreed to speak to an unidentified cable outlet about her relationship with the reality dad. The chat is supposedly scheduled to take place within the next week.
- In other Gosselin news, the ratings for their TLC show are continuing to decline in the wake of their return from a six-week hiatus. Usmagazine.com reports that this past Monday's (August 10th) show attracted 3.5 million viewers -- down nearly four million viewers from the week before and far from the show's record 10.6 million viewers in June.
- Also, it was announced that Jon will host a pool party in Las Vegas on August 29th. An invite from the MGM Grand's Wet Republic read, "Jon Gosselin, America's favorite father (Jon and Kate plus 8), is coming to Las Vegas for a little R&R and will be hosting poolside."
VICTORIA BECKHAM RETURNING -- NOT PERMANENTLY -- AS 'IDOL' JUDGE: Victoria Beckham has returned for another guest-judge stint on American Idol, even though her appearance in the judge's panel last week was billed as a one-time gig. The Associated Press confirmed that Beckham was in Boston on Thursday (August 13th) to help judge contestant callbacks. Despite the multiple appearances, her rep told E!, "She is not in talks to join the show permanently."
'DANCING WITH THE STARS' ENFORCING REHEARSAL RULES: After an injury-plagued season eight, Dancing With the Stars is laying down some new rules regarding the show's rehearsal time. A source close to the show told TVGuide.com, "They will monitor how long they rehearse for. It's never been done before." Last season, Jewel and Nancy O'Dell were forced to withdraw from the competition due to injury and contestants Melissa Rycroft, Steve-O, Ty Murray, Gilles Marini and Steve Wozniak all were hurt at some point during the season.
'FAMILY GUY'S' STEWIE IS GAY: Seth McFarlane has admitted that Stewie -- one of the main characters on his animated comedy Family Guy -- is gay. McFarlane, the show's creator, told Playboy, "We had an episode that went all the way to the script phase in which Stewie does come out. It had to do with the harassment he took from other kids at school. He ends up going back in time to prevent a passage in Leviticus from being written: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind. It is an abomination.'" However, he said, "We decided it's better to keep it vague, which makes more sense because he's a 1-year-old. Ultimately, Stewie will be gay or a very unhappy repressed heterosexual. It also explains why he's so hellbent on killing [his mother, Lois] and taking over the world: He has a lot of aggression, which comes from confusion and uncertainty about his orientation."
JON HEDER STARRING IN BUDDY HOLLY FILM: Jon Heder is set to star in Buddy Holly Is Alive and Well on Ganymede. Variety confirmed that the Napoleon Dynamite star had been cast in the adaptation of Bradley Denton's comic sci-fi novel and will play an "average geek" whose life is changed by Buddy Holly. Heder will shoot the film when he has time off from the untitled sitcom that he's currently starring in.
JOIN THE BOYS & GIRLS CLUB FOR $10 PER CHILD
A big thank you to todays guest from the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Colorado River. Chrisy O'Brian, Branch Director of the Laughlin Club & Michel Campbell, Branch Director of the Fort Mohave Club!
The Boys & Girls Clubs are having a membership drive thru the end of August for the Arizona Clubs and September 4th for the Laughlin Club. Take advantage and sign your children up to be Club members for only $10 per child. The cost is usually $25 per child! What a deal. All those great programs for only $10! For more information on the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Colorado River log on to www.clubriver.org
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Colorado River have some exciting news! We have found 4 great ways for you to contribute to the Club that won’t cost YOU a dime or any extra time!
1. Shop for your everyday needs at Safeway and part of your purchase price Safeway will donate to your LOCAL Boys and Girls Clubs of the Colorado River. All you have to do log on to escrip.com. That is e-s-c-r-i –p dot com and resister your Safeway membership card. Choose the Boys and Girls club of the Colorado River as the group you would like to designate to or Group ID #10483110 . Then shop at Safeway. It’s that easy. Part of your purchase price Safeway will give back to the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Colorado River.
2. Register your credit card at escrip.com and choose the Boys and Girls club of the Colorado River as the group you would like to designate to so when you shop at ANY escrip member like Black Bear Diner, Minato’s Sushi Bar, Pit Stop Grill or Jet Printing and part of your purchase price the local merchant will donate to your LOCAL Boys and Girls Clubs of the Colorado River. It doesn’t matter if you shop local, in Las Vegas at Macy’s, Southern California at Nordstrom’s or online. If your credit card is registered with escrip YOUR LOCAL Boys and Girls Clubs benefit!
3. Shop in at the online at www.clubriver.org
4. Drop off your old cell phone, Ipods, laptop computers or ink & toner cartridges at your local Club and they will RECYCLE them. Help the environment and YOUR LOCAL Boys & Girls Clubs at the SAME time!
DON'T MISS THIS YEARS FIESTA AT THE ALL NEW AQUARIUS!
Join the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Colorado River for a premiere fundraising event when the Aquarius Casino Resorts hosts the 12th Annual Fiesta and 10K Giveaway on Friday, September 25th.
The Fiesta will have your favorite tri state bars and restaurants competing for the title of Best Margarita in the Tri State!. Do you think your business can win the bragging rights for Best Margarita on the Rocks? How about the popular Best Blended Margarita? Or will you go all the way and capture the People’s Choice?
You and your business will have a chance to win bragging rights for the Best Margarita in the Tri-State along with owning the coveted traveling trophy for the entire year.
All local businesses can also support the Club by purchasing an ad in the Fiesta Program and purchasing tickets to the event.
Please call Teri Tomlinson at the Club today and let her know that you will be participating and your business is planning to sweep all the awards! Teri is standing by for your call at 928-763-1411 or jump on the Clubs website at www.clubriver.org
Thank you for supporting the Club that supports the kids in the Tri-State.
RIVERFEST SEPT 11-13!
The Colorado River communities have long been associated with fun outdoor events. Just two weeks after pulling yourself out of the river following the Regatta it’s time to grab your swimsuits and beach chairs for what promises to be Bullhead City’s next big event:
The 1st Annual Riverfest being held September 11th, 12th and 13th at the new and improved Rotary Park. The event will be held Friday 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Riverfest will host professional and amateur Wakeboard and Wakeskate competitions featuring some of the biggest names in the sport such as Ricky Gonzales, Nick Taylor, AJ Rancinelli and Joey White. There will also be a Freestyle BMX competition announced by Rick Thorne, and a Skateboard Competition hosted by Satellite 13 with a demo by Pharmacy Skateboards. On the traditional sport side, there will be an adult softball tournament featuring local and out of town teams.
For those hooked on music the Riverfest will have three stages of entertainment. There will be a family stage featuring local dance troupes and hypnotic magic. In the beer garden will be an adult contemporary stage sponsored by Lazy Harry’s Bar & Grill featuring local bands as well as a few surprises. And last but not least, there will be the alternative stage sponsored by ourlocalscene.com that will feature local and well known touring acts such as Voodoo Glow Skulls and The Skeletones.
Many of our local non-profit organizations will run game booths for the young at heart to enjoy all weekend. In addition a section will be setup for local businesses to provide food and drink as well as arts and crafts. So stop by eat, drink, shop and be merry!!!
For more information regarding the event or a vendor booth please call Jessi Fairgrief at 928-763-1411
K-FLAG COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
Sugarland tops both the Country and Top 200 sales charts this week with their new CD and DVD, Live On The Inside. The set is available exclusively at Walmart, where more than 76,000 copies were purchased its first week of release.
Live On The Inside is a live version of some of Sugarland's tunes on their latest studio album, Love On The Inside, which was released in 2008. Kristian Bush says the project was a direct response to repeated requests from their fans. "The fans are such great fans, and they've been pestering us for a long time to put out a live record, and we've been excited about being able to put our show on tape in order to go and play the show in everybody's living room."
Tracy Lawrence was admitted to a Nashville area hospital on Tuesday (August 11th). The singer is suffering from a respiratory infection which physicians are treating quickly to prevent the onset of pneumonia. His show on Thursday (August 13th) at the Wildhorse Saloon in Lukin, Texas has been canceled, while this weekend's shows in San Antonio, Texas and Norman, Oklahoma are still up in the air. Doctors will make a determination about whether Lawrence can perform those shows sometime Thursday morning.
- Sugarland played in the living rooms of four million Americans earlier this month when their first prime time special, also called Live On The Inside, aired on August 3rd. The show sparked sales spikes for all three of their studio albums -- Twice The Speed Of Life is up 123%, Enjoy The Ride is up 75%, while Love On The Inside is up 77%.
- Lawrence's latest album, The Rock, was released in June of this year.
- The project is Lawrence's first inspirational CD.
Darius Rucker will continue the tradition of the long-running Homegrown Concert Series fundraiser originally started eight years ago by his band, Hootie & The Blowfish, as he takes the stage on Thursday (August 13th) at the Family Circle Cup Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina. Rucker will be joined by special guests Dierks Bentley and Jamey Johnson for the show, which collects supplies for needy local schools, as Rucker tells us: "We asked a bunch of these educators that we knew what was the biggest problem they had, and it was amazing to us that all the rural schools said that their biggest problem was school supplies. They didn't have enough supplies and teachers are tryin' to go with their measly salaries and buy supplies for these kids who aren't brinin' 'em to school, and so we started this thing called Homegrown where we just do a show and what we'll do is we'll advertise as much as we can and make sure it gets out the word that we ask everybody to go by Target or Walmart and just buy school supplies."
Rucker says the fans really turn out for the Homegrown shows and the students, in turn, so he wanted to carry on with the concert despite Hootie & The Blowfish's current hiatus. "We play to about 9,000 people and we fill up about four school buses just full of stuff that we just then take around to the schools that are needy in the area, and Hootie, we've done it for years, and this year Dean, our bass player, had some hip surgery and we're takin' a few years off so I decided I was gonna do it this year myself and I knew I wanted to do it myself, but I knew I couldn't really sell this place out by myself, so I was like, 'Who am I gonna get?' So, I'm hangin' out with Dierks when I was touring with Brad, and I explained it to Dierks and I said, 'Man, I'd love for you to do this with me,' and without hesitation he says, 'Absolutely!'"
Tim McGraw's concert as part of NFL Opening Kickoff on September 10th will be simulcast on NBC and the NFL network from 8-8:30 p.m. ET. The concert is free and open to the public at Point State Park in Pittsburgh. The Black Eyed Peas are also set perform, while Saturday Night Live cast member Seth Meyers has been tapped to host.
- Rucker's latest hit, "Alright," just became his third country chart-topper.
- His debut country CD, Learn To Live, was recently certified platinum for sales of more than one million copies.
- The show celebrates the kickoff of the 2009 season and honors the six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh. The live pregame broadcast, which leads into the season opener between the Steelers and the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field, will also be available via NFL Mobile Live only from Sprint.
Newcomer Gloriana's self-titled album debuts at Number Two this week on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart and at Number Three on Billboard's all-genre Top 200. The group had the best first week sales of any new country artist with a debut album in 2009, with more than 44,000 copies sold.
- McGraw's new album, Southern Voice, will be released on October 20th. Click here to get a sneak peek of the cover art at McGraw's website: http://www.timmcgraw.com/
- The CD's lead single, "It's A Business Doing Pleasure With You," is already a Top 12 hit on the Billboard Country Singles chart. It is currently available at all digital retailers.
- Gloriana said, "We are humbled by the support and encouragement that we have received from our fans, country radio, our online partners and community, CMT and GAC, and all of those around us who have worked so hard on our behalf. We are so grateful to Taylor (Swift), who has given us the opportunity to be on the road with her and has made us feel so welcome with her support."
- Gloriana continues on Swift's sold out Fearless tour through October.
- The group's debut single,"Wild At Heart," is so far the best-selling song by a new country act this year, having sold more than a quarter of a million copies to date.
Miley Cyrus and her ex Justin Gaston seem to be using Twitter to communicate with each other again. Gaston tweeted on Tuesday (August 11th), "Just recorded a demo.. Now I'm sitting on the couch wondering why we as humans try to pretend everything's okay when it isn't... Just be real."
- Gloriana is made up of brothers Tom and Mike Gossin, Rachel Reinert and Cheyenne Kimball.
- Kimball released a solo album in 2006, which was promoted with an MTV show about her called Cheyenne. She also won the TV show, America's Most Talented Kid, when she was 12.
Though he doesn't directly address Cyrus, it appears she knows the message is intended for her when she tweets, "Everything IS ok. Honestly. I can't change you're mind and your heart no longer belongs to me. Maybe YOU'RE the one pretending you're fine."
Meanwhile, Miley is the latest to jump on the Robert Pattinson wagon after meeting the Twilight star when the Teen Choice Awards taped on Sunday (August 9th). Though Miley has said previously that she doesn't get what all the hype is about, she admitted on Twitter, "Gave a hug to Rob Pattinson [Sunday] Ok girls I get it now. So cute. Sorry "Robby" bout all my bashing in my past :)"
- Cyrus also wants people to know that she doesn't have a new beau. On Wednesday (August 12th), Miley tweeted, "I do not have a new boyfriend in GA! I'd HATE for me to happy and make new friends! Stop accusing me of stuff! Its getting old people!"
Q. With what song did George Jones and Tammy Wynette top the country singles charts in August of 1976?
A. "Golden Ring"
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW/SYN (check local listings)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 12:00PM (ET)
Reba McEntire, Justin Moore
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 3:30PM (ET)
BEHIND THE VIDEO: HANNAH MONTANA THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK/GAC 4:00PM (ET)
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 4:30PM (ET)
Ryan Newman, Josh Turner
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Keith Anderson, Gatlin Brothers
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 9:30PM (ET)
Vince Gill, Patty Loveless, Ashton Shepherd
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Keith Whitley scored his first Number One single with "Don't Close Your Eyes" in 1988.
- Brooks & Dunn's debut album, Brand New Man, was released in 1991.
- John Michael Montgomery charted a Number One country single in Billboard with "Be My Baby Tonight" in 1994.
- Reba McEntire's "The Greatest Man I Never Knew" was released in 1992.
- Willie Nelson became the first artist ever to have an album spend 10 years on the Billboard country chart, as Stardust logged its 520th week in 1988.
CAMERON DOUGLAS TRANSFERRED TO CORRECTINAL CENTER: Cameron Douglas was transferred to the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York City after he violated the terms of his home detention by allegedly asking his girlfriend to bring him drugs. The 30-year-old son of Michael Douglas had been released on bail and confined to his apartment after he was charged with distributing methamphetamine. His girlfriend has since been arrested after the electric toothbrush containing heroin that she tried to smuggle was discovered. Douglas faces a mandatory minimum of ten years in prison if convicted and could face life in prison. The Douglas family released a statement on Wednesday (August 12th) saying, "The family is devastated and very disappointed in Cameron's recent behavior. Any family who has dealt with substance abuse knows how devastating it can be."
KENDRA WILKINSON HAVING A BOY: Kendra Wilkinson and Hank Baskett are expecting a son. The E! reality star announced the news Wednesday (August 12th) on her blog, writing, "I just left the doctor's office and I couldn't wait another minute to tell you guys ... Hank and I hare having a baby boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When the doctor told me I was just like OH MY GOD, I'm going to have a son!!!!! Today is certainly always going to be one of the most memorable days of my life!"
HEIDI MONTAG WANTS MORE PLASTIC SURGERY: Heidi Montag has already surgically enhanced her features, but the 22-year-old isn't done with reinventing her body. The Hills star tells Playboy -- whose September cover she graces -- "I plan to get a few more upgrades ... I'm sure as I get older I'll need some touch-ups." She specified, "I think I want to go bigger on my boobs for [Spencer]." Montag has reportedly had a nose job and breast implants.
MEL GIBSON'S PREGNANT GIRLFRIEND UNSURE IF THEY'LL MARRY: Although she's having Mel Gibson's baby, Oksana Grigorieva told CNN she's unsure if she'll wed the Christian actor. The 39-year-old recently revealed, "We don't know yet. We haven't really talked about it." The couple, who went public shortly after Gibson announced his divorce from his wife of nearly 30 years, has chosen not to learn the sex of their baby. Grigorieva said, "I'm already buying things in gender-neutral colors. It's very cute."
LIAM NEESON RETURNS TO RED CARPET: Liam Neeson walked the red carpet on Tuesday (August 11th) for the first time since the March death of his wife, Natasha Richardson. Publicists at the New York City screening of his new film, Five Minutes of Heaven, told the press that personal questions were strictly off-limits. When asked what his version of heaven would be, Neeson responded that it's being with his sons and said he's "kind of living it at the moment." The movie opens in select theaters on August 21st.
ASHLEY HAMILTON SUED: Ashley Hamilton, whose rumored to be a contestant on the upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars, is being sued for acting "negligently, carelessly and recklessly" with his dog. TMZ.com reports that a man named Michael Cohen is suing Hamilton after the celeb's dog allegedly bit Cohen's canine in California a few months ago.
SPIDER-MAN' MUSICAL IN TROUBLE: The Spider-Man show planned for Broadway is reportedly in financial trouble, leading the production to release the actors who had been cast from their contracts. The New York Post reports that in addition to the release, they actors have been given no incentive to wait for the production to get back on track -- leading bloggers to speculate that the show is "dead." Evan Rachel Wood was among those cast in the production, which was written by Bono and The Edge.
THE ROCK PROMOTES DIABETES AWARENESS: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has been named the new national ambassador for the Diabetes Aware campaign. In his new public service announcement, Johnson urges families to "Get outside. Play a game. Do something active together," explaining that exercise and eating right can prevent and manage diabetes. Past celebrity ambassadors include Halle Berry, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Dustin Hoffman.
'DIARY OF ANNE FRANK' COMING TO THEATERS: Pulitzer-prize winning playwright David Mamet is teaming up with Disney for a new movie adaptation of The Diary of Anne Frank. Variety confirmed that the project -- the true story of a young girl hiding from the Nazis with her family -- is in the works. Casting has not yet been announced although Natalie Portman played the title character on Broadway in 1997.
REASONS WHY 'TWILIGHT ISN'T AN EXAMPLE OF LOVE IN THE REAL WORLD (YourTango.com)
- Bella has no outside hobbies: After she moves to Washington, Bella makes a few friends, but she's not interested in them. Mostly her life is about Edward, Edward, Edward. But what relationship can survive that? Outside interests breathe life into a relationship. If you want a healthy one, you better get a life, whether you're a dead vampire or not.
- The guys are totally unrealistic: Women are always writing male characters how we'd like guys to be -- not how they really are. We're setting up expectations. In Twilight's beach scene, Mike Newton brings Bella "sandwiches and an array of sodas to choose from." Excuse me, but a teenage boy at a beach is either going to be goofing around with the other boys, throwing marshmallows, or spending hours in the water.
- Bella is brainwashed: Bella tells us repeatedly that Edward the smug vampire is "too perfect," "flawless," and has an "angel's face". I nearly got brainwashed. But it's like, he could kill her at any second, yet she continues to trust and lust. Of course he doesn't kill her, so we're supposed to be grateful and think highly of him. Such manly restraint!
- Bella is a domestic diva: She cooks for her bachelor dad every night. Bella does laundry, too. But I think we only see her do homework once. See, she's too busy feeding a man to stop and feed her mind. There's nothing wrong with cooking for a man, but doing it in tandem with constantly getting saved by a guy and worshipping said guy...it's just too much. At least Belle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast loves to read, right?
WHAT IS THE MANLIEST DRINK? (Asylum.com)
- Beer: Anything that exponentially increases your rate of burping, farting and urinating and makes you even more comfortable than usual with talking about these glorious bodily functions has to be considered supremely manly -- if for no other reason than it's a discussion the fairer sex would be extremely reluctant to engage in.
- Whiskey: Your grandfather probably drank some type of whiskey, and he could do things like fight in wars, fix cars and skin lesser mammals. While you will never need to do such things -- now that we have iPhones, cars with computer chips and laser-guided missiles -- anytime you're able to drink whiskey without looking like a bunch of lemons were shoved down your throat, you are paying tribute to the manly men of golden ages past.
- Martini: Save for its ability to get dirty, there's little about the martini -- the sexually ambiguous name, the Zima-like coloring, the tendency to be "bruised" -- that screams out "man." Yet, since it was the preferred drink of macho characters like James Bond, Ernest Hemingway and Winston Churchill, it's definitely part of the argument. But, just to be sure, you should ditch the olive for an onion, or better yet, a sardine.
- Red Wine: Laugh all you want, but wine appreciation is a highly technical, fairly male-oriented domain. Furthermore, it's a scientific fact that red wine, more than any other alcohol, makes women horny. And there's nothing as unimpeachably manly as having sex with a woman.
DID YOU KNOW?
JETBLUE OFFERING 'ALL-YOU-CAN-FLY' FOR A MONTH FOR $599: JetBlue Airways is offering an "all-you-can-fly" deal in which passengers can take an unlimited number of flights in one month for $599. The airline said Wednesday (August 12th) that holders of the "all-you-can-fly" passes will be able to travel to any of JetBlue's 56 destinations in the U.S., Mexico, South American and the Caribbean between September 8th and October 8th. Customers will have to act quickly, since the pass has to be booked by August 21st, although the actual travel can be booked within three days before a departure date.
STUDY LOOKS AT KIDS' WEB SEARCHES: Computer security firm Symantec did a survey of the top 100 Internet searches by young people, through its family safety service, which monitors children's and teenagers' Web use. It found that the most popular search was for YouTube, followed by Google in second place and Facebook in third. Other top searches included MySpace in fifth and Yahoo in seventh, but the words "sex" and "porn" were also in the top 10, ranked fourth and sixth, respectively. Symantec's Internet safety advocate, Marian Merritt, said the list shows that parents need to be aware of what their children are doing online.
- Other popular searches included: Michael Jackson; eBay; Wikipedia; Miley Cyrus; Taylor Swift; Webkinz; Club Penguin; and the Black Eyed Peas' song "Boom Boom Pow."
SHOULD PEOPLE DRINK WHILE DATING? A writer on Lemondrop.com mused that too much drinking is involved in dating and made a vow to be sober when going out with someone new. She wrote, "You have a drink (or three) that first date to get over the discomfort that is its "newness." You get flirty and bold. Inhibitions go away and you stop stressing over the topics you talk about, how your lip gloss looks, and whether or not your breath stinks. Alcohol puts a funnier, more interesting and dynamic luster on everyone's personality, but it doesn't last."
MAJORITY STILL FEEL WOMEN SHOULD TAKE HUSBAND'S NAME: The New York Daily News reports that some 70 percent of the respondents in a new study presented at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting feel that women should take their spouse's surname -- and 50 percent say that it should be a legal requirement for a woman to take her spouse's last name. The study's lead author said, "The results were surprisingly conservative. Even though there is a general movement toward neutral language, like saying chairperson instead of chairwoman, people seemed to feel it was better for a woman to change her last name to her husband's."
WOMEN AND MEN HAVE OPPOSITE STANDARDS FOR ONE-NIGHT STANDS: A study reported on by LiveScience.com suggests men are far less choosy about the attractiveness of a potential one-night stand. For women to be tempted into considering casual sex, the guy better be a hottie. These results, based not on real-life encounters but rather on interviews, match with past research showing that men lower their standards when it comes to one-night stands. And it turns out, from the new study, women raise their standards.
FED RESERVE SAYS ECONOMY IS 'LEVELING OUT':
The Federal Reserve was cautiously optimistic yesterday (August 12th), saying the economy appeared to be, quote, "leveling out," an improvement from their last meeting in June, when the Fed said only that the economy's contraction was slowing. As a result of the better news that the recession appears to be ending, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues decided to gradually slow the pace of its program to buy $300 billion worth of Treasury securities, meant to force interest rates down for mortgages and other consumer debt and prod Americans to spend more money, and end it at the end of October, a month later than previously planned. scheduled. The Fed also held interest rates steady at their record lows near zero, and said they'd be there for, quote, "an extended period."
- Wall Street was buoyed by the news from the Fed, with the Dow Jones closing up some 120 points to above 9,360.
KATE GOSSELIN REPORTEDLY PEEDED BY REGIS PHILBIN QUESTIONS
Regis Philbin reportedly caught Kate Gosselin off guard with his line of questioning while taping an interview set to air this morning on Live with Regis and Kelly. Although the chat was supposed to be "light and fluffy," Philbin reportedly went off-script and asked Kate if she'd ever get back together with Jon. Kate tersely responded, "I can't and won't answer that. I keep certain things private, and that's one."
Philbin took the opportunity to offer his own opinion, telling her, "I think you [and your husband] will get back together and live happily ever after. I think everything is going to work itself out -- he'll say he's sorry, that he loves you and everything will be good."
- Meanwhile, a rep for the Today show is denying reports that Gosselin acted like a diva behind the scenes at Monday's (August 10th) show. After the Chicago-Sun Time quoted show sources as having said that the reality mom was "one of the most unpleasant" guests in "many years" and that she was "swearing like a drunken sailor as she stormed out," the program spoke out in her defense.
- In a statement to Extra, Today said, "These comments are completely and totally false and are certainly coming from bad sources. Kate Gosselin was a gracious guest on Today and anyone within a thousand feet of her at the show yesterday morning could tell you that. It is unfortunate that a newspaper would run these lies, which couldn't be further from the truth."
CELEBS TURN OUT FOR JOHN HUGES FUNERAL
Family members and famous friends gathered in Illinois on Tuesday (August 11th) to pay their last respects to director John Hughes. Household names such as Vince Vaughn, Ben Stein and Matthew Broderick were among the mourners at the private memorial service.
Hughes died last Thursday (August 6th) after suffering a heart attack while walking in New York City. Stein, who was a speaker at the service, said the ceremony was "very touching," adding that there was "a lot of crying."
- Meanwhile, frequent Hughes star Molly Ringwald has revealed that she didn't speak to the director for 20 years. The 41-year-old actress, who starred in The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles and Pretty in Pink, wrote in the New York Times that Hughes's recognition of her talent was actually the reason behind their estrangement.
- She wrote, "John saw something in me that I didn't even see in myself. Eventually, though, I felt that I needed to work with other people as well. I wanted to grow up, something I felt (rightly or wrongly) I couldn't do while working with John."
- The rift was mended 15 years ago, when Ringwald wrote Hughes a letter, telling the reclusive filmmaker "how important he was to me." She added, "A week after I sent my letter, I received a bouquet of flowers as big as my apartment from John, thanking me for writing."
THE 'REAL' REASON PAULA ABDUL LEFT A.I.
Paula Abdul's departure from American Idol was reportedly prompted in part because she felt slighted by her colleagues and also because she thought that greater opportunities were to be had outside of the hit reality show. The New York Times reports that Abdul didn't think she was getting the respect she deserved -- from compensation to the support of her fellow Idol crew.
One point of contention with the former judge was that her Idol colleagues didn't defend the attacks about her reliability and possible substance abuse throughout the past few years. She claims that the constant gossip cost her "highly remunerative endorsement deals."
- However, an insider told the paper, "Paula didn't place as much importance on remaining on the show as some other people did. She thinks there are a lot of opportunities out there for her, and she will be fine without that show."
- The latter appeared to be true as Abdul is being courted by ABC, NBC and So You Think You Can Dance.
- E! also reported on Wednesday (August 12th) that Abdul is in talks to guest star on ABC's Ugly Betty. EW.com claims she would play a temp at Mode who becomes friends with Becki Newton's Amanda
KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN IS PREGNANT!
Kourtney Kardashian is pregnant. E! News confirmed that the oldest sister in the Kardashian family is expecting her first child, but they wouldn't say when.
- It's unclear who the father is. 30-year-old Kourtney reportedly broke off her engagement to Scott Disick a few months ago, but it's been rumored that the couple has reunited.
- Kourtney and sister Khloe star in a new reality show, Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami, which premieres this Sunday (August 16th) on E!.
HAYDEN PANETTIERE BLAMES PUBLIC FOR RUINING PERSONAL LIFE
Hayden Panettiere is blaming the public for the demise of her relationships. When asked how her fans' interest affects her personal life, the 19-year-old told Britain's Company magazine, "It's very, very difficult and people have no idea what they do to peoples' relationships. They destroy them. The paparazzi and the public. The public wants to read about your personal life, and the paparazzi give it to them by nosing into your personal life and saying things that are just not true and horrible."
- In addition to destroying her chances at love, Panettiere claims that the paparazzi have stripped her of her privacy. She complained, "I used to walk my dogs in my pajamas. You know something's not right when you're lying in bed for 15 minutes in the morning going, 'How do I get milk for cereal without having to leave my house?' I would be so happy if I could walk down the street without someone coming out of the buses."
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Taylor Swift tops the country charts this week with her latest single, "You Belong With Me." This is the teenager's fifth Number One hit, and the third consecutive one from her current Fearless CD. Previous chart-toppers are "White Horse," "Love Story," "Should've Said No" and "Our Song."
- Her next single, called "Fifteen," is making its way to radio.
- Swift continues on her sold out Fearless tour which wraps up in the UK on November 24th.
- Nineteen-year-old Lucas Till, Swift's co-star in her MTV VMA-nominated video, "You Belong With Me," tells MTV that Swift is the better kisser when compared to his recent Hannah Montana: The Movie co-star, Miley Cyrus. Till admits to having a crush on Swift since he was 16!
Alan Jackson may be country to the core, but he's learned that some of the biggest rock stars are his fans. Jackson says that he's seen a few rockers at his shows over the years. "Steven Tyler has always been one that came to a couple of my shows, but I think he mostly brought his children when they were younger. They kind of liked my stuff I think, but I guess the one that always stuck out to me was I had this bus driver one time, and all the bus drivers know each other, and he said, 'Man, yeah, a buddy of mine drives for Alice Cooper and said he listens to your albums when they're goin' down the road!' (laughs) Alice Cooper listenin' to my stuff! That was pretty weird, but glad he likes it!"
Brad Paisley says among his proudest work is his latest single, "Welcome To The Future." The song goes from amusing topics, like being able to play Pacman on your cell phone, to witnessing racial discrimination in high school and now celebrating America's first black president, as Paisley tells us:["The last verse deals with what it deals with. I was completely and hugely affected by what has happened due to the last election, and I feel like we've made more progress as a people and as, you know, between what was horribly, as you can, you know, tell over the years, a terrible situation when it came to racism and everything else and bad blood between people. I feel that healing, and it's fun to sing about all of those things with hope and with an eye on the future even though we're talking about how we're already there."
- Jackson is currently overseas for his first European performances since 1990. He plays a string of shows beginning on Thursday (August 13th) in Norway and Sweden.
- His new single, "I Still Like Bologna," is making its climb up the country charts.
On the heels of charting his third Number One country hit, "Alright," Darius Rucker's debut country album, Learn To Live, has been certified platinum for sales of more than one million copies.
- Paisley's American Saturday Night tour rolls on to Darien Lake, New York on Friday (August 14th).
- His shows last weekend in Bristow, Chicago and Indianapolis were all sold out, drawing more than 22,000 fans to each concert.
Lady Antebellum will give fans and country radio the first single from their upcoming sophomore album later this month. The song, called "Need You Now," was co-written by Lady A members Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott.
- Rucker said, "To have an album sell a million copies today is really an achievement. I feel so blessed to have been embraced in the country music community with this album, and I couldn't have done it without all the support from country radio and country music fans. Thank you!"
- Rucker will be giving a free performance at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville on August 24th. That concert will air on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! on August 27th.
- Rucker's performance during this year's CMA Music Festival in Nashville will be part of the event's upcoming ABC prime time special, called Country's Night To Rock. The show airs on August 31st at 8 p.m. ET.
- In the meantime, Rucker continues on the American Living Unstoppable tour with headliner Rascal Flatts.
- Hillary said, "A lot of the songs that we've written for the album so far, and this one in particular, are about what we are learning as we go through the ups and downs of different relationships. All three of us know what it's like to get to that point where you feel lonely enough that you make a late night phone call that you very well could regret the next day. But you do it anyway because it's the only thing that's going to give you any relief in that moment."
- Lady Antebellum are still putting the finishing touches on their yet untitled new project.
Josh Turner is also releasing some new music. His upcoming CD, called Haywire, is scheduled for release on November 10th. The lead single, "Why Don't We Just Dance," is currently making its way to country radio.
- Turner said, "'Why Don't We Just Dance' caught my ear from the very first listen. It's an up-tempo, traditional country song that has a very catchy melody with a lyric that poses the question 'why don't we just dance?' and forget about all of the bad stuff going on the world and just concentrate on each other.'"
- "Why Don't We Just Dance" will be available for streaming at joshturner.com and umgnashville.com on August 19th. The digital e-single will be available for purchase at iTunes and all other digital partners on August 25th.
Joe Nichols has been collecting video footage from fans about what they believe in in conjunction with his latest single, "Believers." That footage has been posted on YouTube for the past few months, but now Nichols has added some special footage that was collected during his recent visit with the troops in Iraq.
- Lady Antebellum recently charted their very first Number One hit with "I Run To You."
- Their self-titled debut album was released last year.
- Turner's third album, Everything Is Fine, was released in 2007 and produced the hits "Firecracker" and "Another Try," a duet with Trisha Yearwood.
During his 10-day stay there in June, Nichols decided to utilize his accompanying camera crew to interview the soldiers and find out what they believe in. The emotional and inspiring collection of video, called Believers Challenge From Iraq, is now posted on YouTube as well.
- Nichols said, "I think it's really important for people to hear what our men and women in the military have to say. I recorded the song 'Believers' because I feel the song has a strong and much needed message. We all need encouragement and something to believe in. Then when I went to Iraq and saw the strength and character the men and women in our military service exhibit every day and their belief in what they're doing, I knew I wanted to get that on film and share it with everyone. They are my inspiration."
- "Believers" is the lead single from Nichols upcoming CD, called Old Things New, scheduled for release later this year.
Q. What singer once came in second place in the Mr. Oklahoma bodybuilding competition?
A. Keith Anderson
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
Reba McEntire, Justin Moore
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 9:00PM (ET)
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
Ryan Newman, Josh Turner
DRAFTING PARTNERS/GAC 10:30PM (ET)
THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON/CBS 12:35AM (ET)
ON THIS DAY
- Patty Loveless scored her first Number One single with "Timber, I'm Falling in Love" in 1989.
- Jim Ed Brown joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1963.
- John Denver married his second wife, Cassandra Delaney, in 1988.
- Rodney Atkins earned his first Number One single in Billboard, "If You're Going Through Hell (Before The Devil Even Knows)," in 2006.
- Alan Jackson's Greatest Hits Volume II was released in 2003.
- Shania Twain and husband-producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange welcomed son Eja (pronounced "Asia") in Switzerland in 2001.
- Lonestar took "What About Now" to the top of the Billboard country chart in 2000.
JON GOSSELIN HAPPY KATE 2.0 IS OUT OF HIS LIFE: After Kate Major -- the former tabloid reporter who dated Jon Gosselin for a few days last month -- slammed the reality dad for being a "liar" and "two-timer" for denying that they were ever romantically involved, Gosselin told E!, "I'm happy that she's out of my life." As for estranged wife Kate, Jon had kinder words, telling the network, "Kate's the mother of my children...I only wish her the best."
SAMANTHA RONSON AND LINDSAY LOHAN BACK TOGETHER? Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson's relationship is reportedly back on. The New York Post reports that Lohan surprised her gal pal in Chicago last weekend, where the DJ was celebrating her birthday. The paper added that Lindsay and her teenage sister Ali dined with Ronson, but later the troubled couple were seen "fighting over which drink belonged to whom."
RENEE ZELLWEGGER AND BRADLEY COOPER HEATING UP? More evidence is pointing to a romance between Renee Zellweger and Bradley Cooper. The New York Post reports that the pair -- who was first spotted together last month -- boarded a plane in New York on Saturday (August 8th) that was bound for Barcelona.
JAMES GARNER REPORTEDLY IN POOR HEALTH: Actor James Garner is reportedly in poor health a year after suffering a stroke. The National Enquirer reports that the 81-year-old, who starred on Maverick and The Rockford Files, rarely leaves home and is confined a wheelchair. Sources close to the actor told the tabloid, "Jim has been incredibly brave, but it's been an uphill battle and one that he's losing. He just rebounded from a bad case of pneumonia and suffered a mini-stroke on top of that. He still tries to be cheerful, but his health woes have finally gotten to him."
'REAL HOUSEWIVES' STAR REPORTEDLY LOSES HOME TO FORECLOSURE: The Real Housewives of Atlanta star Lisa Wu Hartwell reportedly lost her multi-million dollar Georgia mansion to foreclosure. TMZ.com reports that talks between Hartwell, her husband and their lender failed -- and the bank subsequently resold the property. A rep for the reality star said, "Ed and Lisa are fine. They have settled in their [new] home, that sits on 10 acres and they OWN it!" Hartwell herself clarified to People magazine, "We chose to move, we were not evicted."
DANE COOK JOKE CUT FROM TEEN CHOICE AWARDS: Dane Cook's joke about Vanessa Hudgen's nude picture scandal was cut from the Teen Choice Awards broadcast on Monday (August 10th) night. The comic received boos and an unamused look from the actress after he said, "Girl, you gots to keep your clothes! Phones are for phone calls, girl." After the show taped on Sunday, Cook told Access Hollywood that the joke was added to his bit at the last minute. He said, "That's the best part about being a comic when you go, 'Maybe I can say the thing that everybody is kind of feeling and nobody [is saying].' The elephant in the room moment. So, I'll take it, I'll take the hit. It's okay."
JUDGE DISMISSES TRILLION DOLLAR OPRAH LAWSUIT: A judge has dismissed a $1 trillion lawsuit against Oprah Winfrey. Author Damon Lloyd Goffe had claimed that Winfrey plagiarized his book, A Tome of Poetry, and posted it on her website. Oprah's spokesperson commented, "We were never served with this lawsuit, but we've been informed that the judge dismissed it."
BEN STILLER TO APPEAR ON 'MAN VS. WILD': Ben Stiller will appear on an upcoming episode of Man Vs. Wild. Host Bear Grylls revealed to Fancast.com that his show with Will Ferrell went so well that Stiller -- a friend of the actor -- has agreed to participate on the Discovery Channel program this year.
DID YOU KNOW?
NICE GIRLS ARE BACK IN: The Daily Beast says it's now hip to be nice. Marisa Meltzer writes, "lately, raunch culture appears to be in remission. In its place is a new cultural paradigm: the nice girl." The evidence: Emma Watson, Demi Lovato, Twilight, and Carlene Bauer's recent, buzzy, no-sex and the city memoir, Not That Kind of Girl." he explained, "Nicole Ritchie and Christina Aguilera, two poster girls for early 21st century badness, have rehabilitated their reputations and are now best known as devoted moms. Mischa Barton and Lindsay Lohan, who have as yet not joined the nice girl bandwagon, are meanwhile shown in the press as examples of how not to behave."
TWITTER PROMPTS COUPLES TO FIGHT: Twitter is prompting arguments within some couples who can't agree how much of their personal life should make it onto the web. While some partners are unhappy that their significant other tells everyone about the minutia of their lives, one newlywed told us that she and her spouse actually fight about who gets to post their shared activities. She said, "Sometimes I want to say what we're up to, but I sign in and he already has. It's like he stole my tweet!"BRITISH THEME PARK BANS SPEEDOS: The Times Online has reported that Britain's most popular theme park has banned Speedos and other brands of skimpy swimming trunks. But he will have to find something a bit more sensible to wear if he wants to enjoy the rides The management at Alton Towers said, "To prevent embarrassment among fellow members of the public and to maintain the family friendly atmosphere at the resort, bosses have taken the extreme measure of banning these tight trunks from their popular waterpark located within the Splash Landings Hotel. While women may hail the return of the skimpy bathers, the style itself is not deemed public or family friendly, and therefore we are requesting that male swimmers wear more appropriate styles such as boardshorts."
DEFUSE HER BOMBS
(Maxim) Is your girlfriend's nutty behavior bugging you? Stop it before it starts:
- Her Habit: She changes costumes for hours before leaving the house. Your preemptive strike: "Make a suggestion by telling her how sexy she looks in the little black dress she owns," says Ava Cadell, Ph.D., author of sexpert.com. Even if she doesn't wear what you suggest, she'll start asking your opinion -- so you can rave about the first outfit she picks.
- Her habit: She insists upon wearing shoes made for looking pretty, not for "walking," then complains the whole night. Your preemptive strike: Tuck a few Band-Aids in your wallet. You won't have to listen to her whine, you'll get credit for thoughtfulness, and you can put the cab money toward a well-earned crate of whiskey.
- Her habit: She makes catty remarks about your female friends. Your preemptive strike: Relieve her jealousy by being physically affectionate with her in front of other women. She'll realize you dig her so much you're not afraid to blow your chances with other girls. That'll help her ease up on your gal pals, so you can get back to work on 'em.
- Her habit: She makes you late because she's running "just a couple of minutes behind." Your preemptive strike: Do what comes naturally -- lie to her. If you've got a 7:30 dinner reservation, tell her it's for 7:00. Bonus: If she manages to leave the house on time, you can fit in a parking-lot quickie.
- Her habit: She obsesses over getting married. Your preemptive strike: Go against your better judgment -- be honest with her. If you want to get hitched someday, tell her to trust you and ask her to back off. If she's just a good-time girl, tell her you can't make any promises... until she agrees to that threesome.
YOUR PIZZA PERSONALITY
Sun) The mouth watering pizza toppings you crave do more than whet your appetite they reveal many of your personality traits:
- Anchovies -- You're a focused, single minded achiever who doesn't have time for people who can't keep up with you intellectually. Your out of the mainstream toppings choice also shows how you're a creative thinker forever outside the box.
- Pepperoni -- You're an idea person who rises to a challenge by supplying pragmatic solutions. You're also an avid observer who mulls over every aspect of a situation before you speak, which makes you an awesome debater and thinker.
- Veggies -- You're a bubbly extrovert who values friendship above all other virtues. You have a thoughtful side that makes you a dependable advisor. And your generous heart works hard to assure that everyone within your orbit is healthy and happy.
- Mixture -- You thrive on variety in everything from food to fashion, setting a trendy standard for others to follow. You're also a thrill seeker, forever leading pals on inventive adventures that provide indelible memories that will last a lifetime.
- Mushrooms -- You're a delightful combination of unapologetic truth teller and well rounded sophisticate. While you pull no punches, your unique delivery makes your criticisms palatable. You're also a whiz at turning an argument into smile fest.
DOES HE HAVE CHEATING ON HIS MIND?
There are three types of men who cheat, according to infidelity expert Ruth Houston, who is also author of "Is He Cheating on You? 829 Telltale Signs."
- The Recreational Cheater -- Cheating is a game for this man. It's a fun sport--almost competitive in the drive to "win" and not get caught.
- The Seasonal Cheater -- He seeks out a time and place where his affair will be camouflaged. Is there any better time for that veil of secrecy than when the wife is away on vacation? Because so many men do this, summer is known as the No. 1 season for infidelity. Men who would otherwise not cheat are often tempted in the summer because it's just so easy to pull off.
- The Opportunistic Cheater -- He is more circumspect than the other types of cheaters, only straying when an opportunity presents itself where he is assured of not getting caught.
If he does cheat, should you take him back? Houston says only take him back if the infidelity occurred under the following circumstances:
- An isolated incident, such as a one-night stand.
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- While going through a midlife crisis.
- As a misguided response to a life crisis, such as the death of a loved one or the loss of a job.
HOW TO KEEP A HEALTHY LEVEL OF INSANITY AT THE OFFICE
- At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a blow dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.
- Page yourself over the intercom. Don't disguise your voice.
- Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.
- Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "in."
- As often as possible, skip rather than walk.
- Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.
- Specify in fast-food drive-thrus that your order is "to go".
- Sing along at the opera.
- Go to a poetry recital and ask why the poems don't rhyme.
- Drape mosquito netting over your cubicle and play a tape of jungle sounds all day.
- Insist that your co-workers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard Kim.
- When leaving the zoo, run towards the parking lot, screaming "They're loose! They're loose!"
- Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we're going to have to let one of you go."
- Regardless of their actual name, call your boss LeRoy.
Your spouse is cheating on you if...
- You just feel something is going on. Trust your intuition.
- There are noticeable changes in your sex life.
- You catch him lying at times.
- She has become distant at times.
- There are periods of time when you cannot reach him by phone.
- She has become increasingly critical of you.
- He deletes all caller-ID information from his telephones.
- She has changed the way she looks or dresses.
- He is away more often, claiming he needs more "alone time."
- More frequently than before, she needs to work late at night or on weekends.
- His phone bills are higher, and there are numbers on it that you don't recognize.
- Her phone rings at odd times.
- He spends countless hours, usually late at night, on the computer.
- She keeps perfume and a change of clothes in her car.
- He hides his cell phone bill or home phone bill so you won't see it.
Middle Children's Day --
Where a guy falls in his family order can have a huge effect on his personality and his role in your relationship, says Meri Wallace, author of "Birth Order Blues." If he's:
- A firstborn -- Bravo. You scored a dependable conscientious, and caring guy, one you can rely on for logical advice and support. But beware: If you don't speak up, this confident cutie can become a control freak.
- A middle child -- No doubt your dude has a way of getting along with anyone, thanks to his loyal, social, and sensitive nature. He's also really attuned to your feelings and super thoughtful. But as laid-back as he may be, he can demand lots of TLC and major reassurance.
- A baby -- The last of the litter tends to be a loving, outgoing, freethinking charmer. Your guy is likely a fabulous storyteller and great at cocktail parties. One caveat: He can be flaky, leaving you to make all the weekend plans.
- An only child -- You're dating a responsible and driven dude who'll be totally devoted to you. The downside? Since he never had to share his parents' love and attention or any possessions with siblings, he may be self-centered and possessive of belongings.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Simon Cowell is said to be close to signing a 3-year-deal with Fox, so you'll have him around for several more seasons of "American Idol."
- "King of the Hill" will say goodbye forever with a one-hour series finale on Sunday night, September 13.
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver -- JFK's sister and Maria Shriver's mom -- passed away early Tuesday at age 88.
- Google has introduced a new version of it's search engine called "Caffeine," that they say is much faster than it's current version.
- Over 350 new species of animals from a flying frog to the world's tiniest deer have been discovered in the Himalayas over the past decade.
- Brooks and Dunn are calling it quits... but not before one more greatest hits CD and a 2010 farewell tour.
- Paul Reubens will star in The Pee-wee Herman Show for a limited engagement beginning November 8th at The Music Box @ Fonda in L.A.
- Tobey Maguire has been spotted around Seattle lately, filming his latest movie.
- It was a family affair in New York on Saturday, where Kate Hudson, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell all sat together at Yankee stadium to watch Kate's sweetie play: Alex Rodriguez.
- Michael Douglas' son, Cameron, is facing such massive drug charges that he faces a possible life sentence if convicted.
- Ellen DeGeneres is going to give away $1,000 to someone that follows her on Twitter.
- Elizabeth Mitchell plays Juliette on "Lost," but you'll also see her this fall starring in the new ABC series, "V."
- Brad Pitt took his 8 and 5 year old with him to a Green Day concert Friday night.
- Fox is going to show a 2-hour special on the Octomom, August 19th.
- Victoria Beckham will appear as a judge on "American Idol" for the Denver auditions.
- After 28 years with Chicago, keyboardist Bill Champlin is leaving the group to pursue a solo career.
- GM says it has to be verified by the EPA, but THEIR tests show the new Chevy Volt (mostly electric car) would get over 230 miles per gallon!
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Brooks & Dunn shocked the music industry and country fans alike when they announced their impending split via their website on Monday (August 10th) afternoon. Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn wrote a letter to their fans, saying:
"After 20 years of making music and riding this trail together, we have agreed as a duo that it's time call it a day. This ride has been everything and more than we could ever have dreamed .... We owe it all to you, the fans. If you hear rumors, don't believe them, it's just time.
We will release our #1s ... and then some on September 8th and come see you all one more time in 2010, with The Last Rodeo tour (dates to be announced)."
There is no word yet on what Brooks & Dunn plan to do after the breakup, but reports surfaced last year that their recording contract includes an option for solo projects.
Recently Kix Brooks told us that he and Ronnie Dunn realize their success comes from working together.["We obviously owe our fans a debt. They gave us a job, a really good one for the last 15, 17 years. We've had so much success, and both of us came from a long time of disappointments and from a professional standpoint, so together we really appreciate just how good this job is."
At the time, he told us that their accomplishments help keep them committed to remaining a duo. "The fact that we've had the success we have, I think that's a good thing that keeps us comin' back. It's like we were given a real serious gift. That's had a lot to do with us keeping our focus and staying together."
Dierks Bentley celebrated his career seventh Number One hit, "Sideways," with a party in Nashville on Monday (August 10th). Charting a Number One hit is an important feat in any singer's career, but Bentley tells us he more enjoys the effect it has on his ability to tour. "My favorite thing to do is be on stage performing live with my band. That's what I live to do. That's why I still do this and will probably hopefully be doin' it for the rest of my life, and country radio's the key for that happening. They're the ones that play the songs so that the fans hear 'em, and these songs become woven into the fabric of their lives, and they come out to the live show and sing along with you, so the Number One is . . . more so than just the Number One is the fact that it was played enough times to become a Number One means that a lot of people heard it and listened to it a lot so when you go play that live show they're right there with you, and that's the most fun you can possibly have."
- Brooks & Dunn made their debut with Brand New Man in 1991.
- To date, they have released 10 studio albums and charted 20 Number One hits.
- Brooks & Dunn have taken home the Vocal Duo of the Year award at the Country Music Association Awards 14 times, while the Academy of Country Music Awards has given them the Top Vocal Duo trophy 16 times.
Taylor Swift put her prank skills to the test on Saturday (August 8th) in Kansas City during her last show wit h headliner Keith Urban. The singer and her band surprised Urban onstage dressed in full costume as members of the rock group KISS during his performance of "Kiss A Girl." To complete the routine, they were joined by life-size dancing Hershey Kisses.
- Bentley continues on the road with Brad Paisley on his American Saturday Night tour.
- His new single, "I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes," is making its way up the country
In all fairness, Swift Tweeted her warning prior to the show. She wrote, "Last night on tour with Keith Urban. Pranking is a must."
Swift wrapped up her weekend by winning two surfboards for Female Artist and Female Album at the Teen Choice Awards, which were held on Sunday (August 9th) in Los Angeles. She was performing at her Fearless tour stop in Omaha when her best friends, Abigail and Kellie Pickler, broke the good news to her.
Country stars have always been the first to lend a helping hand when it's needed, and that's just what they're doing for the family of the woman killed in the storm that hit Alberta, Canada's Big Valley Jamoboree last week. Big & Rich and Kevin Costner are offering $10 of every ticket sold to their show on August 25th in Edmonton, Alberta to the Donna Moore Memorial Trust Fund, according to countryschatter.com. Moore, the mother of two, was killed by a large speaker which was blown off the stage during the Jamboree.
- John Rich said "We were immediately struck by the sadness of what happened at Big Valley. We have stood on that stage with other artists and fans, and the news really hit home with us. We immediately knew we needed to do something, so we invite all music fans to join us at Telus Field for a great evening and an opportunity to contribute to the fund in support of Donna Moore's children."
- Moore's two sons are 10 and 16 years old.
- Costner plans to auction off a dinner date with himself and donate the money to the Fund.
- Costner and his band, Modern West, were set to go on stage immediately following Billy Currington, who was injured when the stage collapsed during the storm.
- Currington's bass player, Alex Stevens,' injuries required immediate surgery to repair a severed artery and nerves in his left arm.
- Upwards of 75 people in the crowd of 1500 were also injured during the storm.
Carrie Underwood will be among this year's inductees into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. She is set to perform during the 13th annual Induction Ceremony & Concert on September 17th at the Muskogee Civic Center in Tulsa.
- Fellow inductees are Rocky Frisco and Ramona Reed.
- Reserved seats for the event will be on pre-sale to existing members of the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame between August 18th and 21st. Tickets for reserved seating will be offered to the public beginning on August 22nd. To purchase tickets, log onto omhof.com or call 918-697-0800.
- Vince Gill, Toby Keith, Merle Haggard, Wanda Jackson, Hank Thompson, The All American Rejects and David Gates are all in the Oklahoma Music Hall Of Fame.
- Underwood will release a new album on November 3rd.
- Earlier this year, she became the first country artist in history to achieve 10 Number One singles from their first two albums when "I Told You So" became the fifth consecutive chart-topper from Carnival Ride.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
PEOPLE COUNTRY ON CMT/CMT 12:00PM (ET)
Reba McEntire, Trace Adkins. Toby Keith, Taylor Swift, LeAnn Rimes
CMT CRIBS/CMT 12:30PM (ET)
Jamie O'Neal, Paula Deen, Jason Aldean
BEHIND THE VIDEO: HANNAH MONTANA THE MOVIE SOUNDTRACK/GAC 1:00PM, 5:00PM (ET)
GAC NIGHTS/GAC 8:00PM (ET)
INVITATION ONLY: BRAD PAISLEY/CMT 1:00PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Hank Williams' "Hey, Good Lookin'" went to Number One in 1951.
- Elvis Presley's chart-topping single, "Don't Be Cruel," charted in 1956.
- Blake Shelton scored his first Number One single with "Austin" in 2001.
- Elvis and Priscilla Presley filed for divorce in 1972.
- Steve Earle and Allison Moorer were married at the Hermitage Hotel in downtown Nashville in 2005. It was his seventh wedding, and her second.
- Vince Gill's The Key album was released in 1998.
- Eddie Rabbitt's "Suspicions" reigned at Number One on the Billboard country chart in 1979.
NEW GIRL FOR GUY RITCHIE?: Guy Ritchie reportedly has a new lady in his life. Britain's Daily Mirror reports that Madonna's ex-husband is dating Haitian-born model and actress Mellany Gandara, who appears as "a scantily clad party girl" in Iron Man 2. The paper reported that the pair was introduced by Ritchie's friend, Robert Downey Jr., who met Gandara on the set of his blockbuster.
JAIME PRESSLY REPORTEDLY PEES IN PUBLIC: My Name Is Earl star Jaime Pressly reportedly urinated in public outside a Hollywood bar over the weekend. PerezHilton.com has pictures and video of the actress squatting front of the venue over a puddle. Pressly, however, denied the incident, writing on Twitter, "yes...that is me doing dare #8 at my bridal shower...Things are not always as what they seem...Notice my hand in the back...it's pouring a bottle of water!!! C'mon guys! Do you think i would really pee in the entry way to the Abbey in broad DAYLIGHT!!!"
Check out the evidence: http://tinyurl.com/ly83l7
LINDA HOGAN TALKS DIVORCE, BOYFRIEND: Linda Hogan claims that her ex-husband's affairs led to the couple's tumultuous divorce. Linda, who recently settled the divorce case with Hulk Hogan, told Good Morning America, "There were infidelities. It scared me because I thought 'Oh my God, is that my fault? Is he moving on? Am I just a dumb housewife? Am I too fat, am I too dumb?' You just start doubting yourself and that was really sad." The 49-year-old also admits that her relationship with 20-year-old Charlie Hill is "weird," but said, "He's a great friend and a good soul and a great support system for me."
'WATCHMEN' STAR IS A DAD AGAIN: Watchmen star Patrick Wilson is a new dad again after his wife, actress Dagmara Dominczyk Wilson, gave birth to the couple's second son on Sunday (August 9th). A source close to the family told People magazine, "Mother and baby are both happy and healthy. Everybody's great!" Newborn Kassian McCarrell Wilson joins three-year-old Kalin Patrick at the family's home.
OCTOMOM SPECIAL AIRING ON FOX: Fox is airing a two-hour special about Octomom Nadya Suleman on August 19th. According to a press release from the network, Octomom: The Incredible Unseen Footage will give viewers the opportunity to witness "the emotional struggles, physical complications and financial burdens of this single mother of 14." Usmagazine.com reports that Suleman recently signed a deal with a European production for a reality show, but the program has yet to nab a U.S. distributor.
TOM CRUISE'S SON GETS NEW MOVIE ROLE: Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman's son Connor is expanding his acting resume, having signed on to star in a remake of the 1984 action war drama, Red Dawn. The Hollywood Reporter announced that the 14-year-old will play Daryl, the youngest in the group of high school students who wage war against foreign invaders. The film co-stars Transformers actress Isabel Lucas and begins shooting next month in Detroit.
TARA REID GETS A JOB: Tara Reid is joining the cast of the upcoming indie comedy, Last Call. The Hollywood Reporter announced that Reid will star alongside Travis Van Winkle and Ryan Hansen, who play cousins forced to run a family pub. Other notable names attached to the project include Christopher Lloyd, Tom Arnold and Dave Foley.
HEIDI KLUM JEWELRY LINE DROPPED: As she's about to return to television with the hit reality show Project Runway, Heidi Klum is admitting that all of her endeavors are not successes. The pregnant supermodel told the Los Angeles Times, "I don't do the jewelry anymore, which I loved doing. Unfortunately, I did have a partner who . . . maybe wasn't as knowledgeable in terms of setting up a business." She explained, "I worked five years very hard on that. But we stopped because we had a lawsuit with Van Cleef & Arpels -- they wanted to have the clover, even though our designs had never matched, I don't know how may designs I had done in five years, maybe 800 different designs -- but they just wanted to own the clover motif."
CHERYL LADD TO APPEAR ON 'CSI: MIAMI': Cheryl Ladd will appear on an episode of CSI: Miami, in which she'll reportedly play "a woman who lives by 'The Cougar Code.'" People magazine reports that Ladd shot her scenes on Monday (August 10th) alongside fellow guest star, actress Tia Cerrere.
JIM CARREY REPORTEDLY QUITS 'THREE STOOGES' MOVIE: Jim Carrey has reportedly pulled out of the Farrelly brother's upcoming remake of The Three Stooges. Although the actor's girlfriend Jenny McCarthy said earlier this year that her beau was packing on pounds for the role of Curly, the Boston Globe reports that the actor is no longer involved with the project. The paper claims that Paul Giamatti has been added to the cast. Sean Penn also quit the film earlier this year, citing personal reasons.
ANNOYING SLANG WORDS (Lemondrop.com)
- Unless you are from England, making a toast with an actual cocktail in your hand, or talking about the hit TV show, you should not use the word "Cheers." It is not how an American ends an email or a conversation on the phone. It is a lame attempt to sound like you've been somewhere outside of the United States. The same goes for "Ciao."
- So many people use the word "literally" when they are not being literal. Perhaps it is an attempt to sound educated or something. If you say something like, "I'm literally going to kill him!" You better "literally" have a knife in your hands.
- It's the easiest way to express in a status update, instant message, or email that you find something humorous but people forget what it means. LOL means that you are laughing out loud. Unless you are actually LAUGHING OUT LOUD you have no business typing LOL. You can't use LOL just because something amuses you, you have to be "literally" laughing out loud.
Hate: I'm like ... I'm all ... like ...
- When recounting a conversation I've had with someone I'm all "I'm all." When I hear it coming out of my mouth I cringe. It's complete and utterly embarrassing ... instead of saying, "I said blah blah blah, and then she said blah blah blah," we resort to "I'm all ... and then she's all ... " It sounds horrible.
Hate: It's all good.
- People who use this phrase are afraid of intimacy. Rather than getting to the heart of the actual matter, they gloss over bumps in the road with phrases like "it's all good." It's a way of avoiding further conversation and human interaction. It's a conversation ender. It's also far more meaningful to say something like, "That's OK, I forgive you." "It's all good" is a way to avoid actually dealing with the real issue at hand.
Hate: My bad
- Saying "My bad" is a way of avoiding admitting that you actually may have made a mistake or been mistaken. It's a way of taking blame without actually being accountable for your actions. Most of all, it's lazy. If you have made a mistake or been mistaken, it is far more meaningful to say, "I am so sorry, I made a mistake. How can we fix the situation to avoid this kind of thing from happening in the future?" When you hear someone say "My bad" you are completely justified in punching them in the face.
DID YOU KNOW?
FACEBOOK MAKES PARTNERS JEALOUS: Social networking sites encourage people to obsessively search for information about their other half, scientists claim. The findings, published in CyberPsychology and Behavior, came from a survey of young adults involved in romantic relationships. Professor Dr Brenda Wiederhold, editor of CyberPsychology & Behavior said: "The more time college students spend on Facebook, the more likely they are to feel jealous toward their romantic partners, leading to more time on Facebook searching for additional information that will further fuel their jealousy, in an escalating cycle that may become addictive."
DINING WITH MEN HELPS WOMEN EAT BETTER: A new Canadian study found that women choose foods with fewer calories when they are dining with a man rather than a woman. Asylum.com reports that this is because smaller, healthier portions are seen as more feminine, thus women believe if they eat less, the opposite sex will find them more attractive.
WHAT PERCENTAGE OF KIDS ARE SPOILED? Barton Schmitt, MD, a pediatrician at the Children's Hospital in Denver told WebMD that he believes about five percent of kids are spoiled in that they lack discipline, are manipulative, and are generally bothersome. The estimate may be low, the website points out, because in 2000, Dan Kindlon, author of Too Much of a Good Thing, interviewed more than 1,000 parents, and roughly 650 teenagers, and found that 60 percent of parents thought their kids were spoiled, and 15 percent of teens thought they, themselves, fit the bill.
SEX VS. MARRYING TOO EARLY: WHAT'S WORSE? Because religious young people have been taught to remain abstinent until they are married, many are tying the knot very young, raising the question of how young is too young to marry and how long is too long to wait before having sex. In the Christianity Today magazine cover story, "The Case for Young Marriage," University of Texas sociologist Mark Regnerus argues that evangelicals "have made much ado about sex" but are damaging the institution of marriage by discouraging and delaying it. Regnerus is not saying that premarital sex is OK. But he does suggest that abstinence has its limits, and that intensifying the message won't work. When people wait until their mid- to late 20s to marry, he writes, it's unrealistic and "battling our creator's reproductive designs" to expect them to wait that long for sex.
DVDs out today
- I Love You Man
- 17 Again
- The Class
- The City Season 1
- 90210 Season 1
NEW TO BLU-RAY
The comedy I Love You, Man, starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, comes out on DVD today (August 11th). Rudd plays Peter Klaven, a girlfriend kind of guy, who has no male friends. When Peter realizes he has no best man for his upcoming wedding, he goes on a series of 'man-dates' to try and find the right guy for the job. But his "insta-friend," Sydney Fife (Segel), puts a strain on his relationship with fiancee Zooey, played by Rashida Jones, after Sydney shows his true colors and Peter is forced to make a choice.
- St. Elmo's Fire
- The Ninth Gate
- Cutthroat Island
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Film Collection
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- If you're keeping score, there are now 34 million Americans on food stamps.
- "The Tonight Show" have lost some 2 million viewers since Conan O'Brien took over the show.
- In Tulare, California, the city is under fire for shutting down an 8-year-old's lemonade stand... as she was trying to raise money to go to Disneyland.
- Director John Hughes died of a heart attack last week at age 59. Among his credits: "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club," "Weird Science," 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Home Alone", "Beethoven" and "Trains, Planes and Automobiles."
- Chris Brown has lost his endorsement deal with chewing gum brand Wrigley. after being charged with assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna.
- President Barack Obama and wife Michelle are edging out Hollywood stars on Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List. The president makes the list for the first time in issues out Wednesday, joining his wife, who has been named twice before.
- Hughes movie alum, Molly Ringwald, has been busy with her twins born last month, Roman and Adele.
- Paula Abdul says that many "wonderful things are being offered to me."
- Meanwhile, the producers of "American Idol" say it's Simon, Randy and Kara for now... but there most likely will be a 4th judge added.
- Katie Holmes is rumored to be joining the movie, "Sex and the City 2."
- Tom Sizemore has been arrested... again... this time, a domestic violence charge.
- Kate Gosselin sat down with Meredith Viera on the "Today Show" this morning to tell her side of the split with Jon.
- Rihanna, Jay-Z, Kanye West will all be on Jay Leno's first prime time show, September 14th.
- A plane carrying Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore had to make an emergency landing Thursday in Las Vegas after the engine apparently overheated.
- The Washington town of Forks is enjoying a nice boom in tourism, thanks to the "Twilight" books and movies. Among the questions asked by tourists: Is it safe to go camping with the vampire problems in the area?
Resurrect Romance Week --
August 10-16. Here are some simple tips for men to become more romantic, according to the book "Living Romantically Everyday."
- Make a list -- Make a list of the special days on the calendar that you celebrate together, such as the day you met, your yearly anniversary, or even the anniversary of your first kiss. On these days make a point to spend some quality time together.
- Toast to her -- Toast each other when you sit down to dinner. It doesn't need to be over bubbly or wine, but even a glass of water or iced tea. Tell her something you love about her and then drink to it!
- Reach out and touch her -- Use the power of touch to make a lasting impression throughout the day.
- Create a photo album -- Take pictures often; don't save the camera for holidays and special occasions. Create a visual scrapbook of your everyday life together.
- Take note of significant things -- Set something aside for her every day. It might be a newspaper article you read during your commute, a link to a web site you came across, or even a story you heard by the office water cooler.
- Be thoughtful -- Do something thoughtful for her every day. Whether it's making her a cup of coffee in the morning, sticking a surprise note in her bag, or leaving her a chocolate "kiss" on her pillow before bedtime.
- Keep up your appearance -- Let her see you at your best. It's ironic that we dress up to meet total strangers but let ourselves go around our nearest and dearest. Most women love to see their men clean-shaven, in great clothes and perhaps wearing a hint of her favorite cologne.
- Tell her about your moods -- Be honest if you are feeling stressed or under the weather. Your woman will appreciate your honesty and will know not to take it personally when you come home in a bad mood.
- Discuss your day -- Sit down together when you get home and relate your daily experiences. The best thing about spending time apart is that it makes you appreciate each other more.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
George Strait fans in Houston flocked to the superstar's show there at Reliant Stadium on Saturday (August 8th). The concert was Strait's first in the Houston area in eight long years. Joining him were special guests Blake Shelton and Julianne Hough, who have been opening for Strait since his tour kicked off in May. This was their last show of the run, but Strait says the two acts made a significant contribution to this summer's tour."It's been a fun tour. We've had Julianne Hough and Blake Shelton on the tour and both of them have done a great job. Julianne's just kind of starting her country music career and she's really doing well, putting on a great show. And of course, Blake's been around a little while and he puts on a great show also, so it's been a good combination I think."
Sugarland has been back on the road entertaining fans after a brief break due to Jennifer Nettles' voice problems. While Nettles says she is feeling much better, she's still remaining cautious so as not to further strain her vocal cords. "I am doing much better. It's always scary when those things happen, but like an athlete if you start to hurt it, you have to protect it. You use your body as your instrument. That's what I had to do. I'm trying to come back in as gently as I can, which is very hard for me, but still getting out there and giving a good show and doing what I love. So I am on the mend."
- Strait's new album, Twang, will be released on Tuesday (August 11th).
- The CD's first release, "Living For The Night," was co-written by Strait and his son, Bubba Strait, along with Dean Dillon.
- Twang is Strait's 38th career studio album.
Kellie Pickler made history in Albert Lea, Minnesota on Thursday (August 7th) night. Attendance for her performance at the Freeborn County Fair broke records, drawing a standing-room-only crowd. The gates to the grandstand had to be closed 15 minutes prior to her set because the venue was already over capacity. Pickler's show had the highest grossing box office receipts in the fair's 126-year history.
- Nettles has been battling vocal issues since January.
- Her doctor-ordered voice rest caused the cancellation of shows on Sugarland's own headlining Love On The Inside tour, as well as dates with Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney.
- Pickler closed her 90-minute show with her first single, "Red High Heels," and invited every young girl in the audience to join her onstage, passing the microphone around for the girls to sing with her.
- She continues playing fairs and festivals in addition to opening Taylor Swift's sold out Fearless tour.
- Kellie Pickler will perform at the House of Blues in Los Angeles on September 15th as part of the CMA Songwriters Series.
- She was recently invited by Craig Morgan to join him on his upcoming USO tour.
If you've never heard of Steel Magnolia, you might want to be on the lookout for the duo. The twosome, made up of Meghan Linsey and Joshua Scott Jones, were named the winners of this season of CMT's Can You Duet. As such, they have received a recording contract from Big Machine Records, home to Taylor Swift and Jack Ingram.
- Steel Magnolia's debut single, "Keep On Loving You," is now available for purchase at iTune and is making its way to country radio.
- The duo face a whirlwind schedule this week, with their first-ever video shoot on Tuesday (August 11lth) followed by an intensive radio tour beginning on Wednesday (August 12th).
- Linsey and Jones are a couple both on and off the stage.
- They are the second winners of Can You Duet. First season winners Caitlin & Will are signed to Sony Nashville.
Kid Rock offered financial aid to a Papa John pizza delivery man who was viciously beaten and robbed in Harrison, Ohio last month, according to United Press International. 28-year-old Harry Colyer found a check for $1,500 from Rock, whose real name is Robert Ritchie, in his mailbox last week when he returned home from the hospital. Colyer underwent reconstructive surgery on his face after the July 20th assault, in which he was jumped from behind and attacked with a piece of lumber and a brick.
- Colyer , who was not a Kid Rock fan, said, "I didn't expect it and didn't ask for it, but it was certainly a very nice thing to do."
- Rock decided to help Colyer after reading about the incident while in town for a concert on July 22nd, according to his publicist.
- Kid Rock next plays in Boyne Falls, Michigan on August 15th and will perform at a benefit for a New York music therapy institute on September 2nd.
JUST OUR OPINION
Whether you're a Kid Rock fan or not, you have to admit that the guy puts his money where his mouth is. Not only did he help this crime victim, but he does a lot of work for charities and has made several visits to the Middle East to entertain U.S. troops. Even in places where he has caused a ruckus, like that infamous brawl at a pancake house near Atlanta, he turns it around and manages to make something good out of it. The dude has been super-successful and he's definitely giving back as well.
The Bellamy Brothers will be joined by another famous set of siblings, the Bacon Brothers, when they perform on the Opry stage on September 1st. This will be Michael and Kevin Bacon's first time on the hallowed stage. Both sets of brothers appear on the Bellamy's new single, "Guilty Of The Crime."
- This performance will mark the first public appearance for the Bacons and the Bellamys together.
- "Guilty Of The Crime" is the first single from The Bellamy Brothers newest album, The Anthology, Vol. 1, which is available digitally now and in stores on September 29th.
- Kevin Costner, Jack Black, and Steve Martin have all made their Opry debuts in the past year
Q. How many Number One hits has Reba McEntire had to date?
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
CAN YOU DUET SEASON 2/CMT 12:00PM, 1:00PM (ET)
Naomi Judd, Big Kenny
TAYLOR SWIFT ON THE SET: YOU BELONG WITH ME/GAC 12:30PM (ET)
KEITH URBAN: CONVERSATIONS FROM THE ROAD/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 7:00PM (ET)
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Porter Wagoner and Bill Carlisle were announced as the newest members of the Country Music Hall Of Fame in 2002.
- The Browns joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1963.
- Vince Gill joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1991.
- Martie Erwin of the Dixie Chicks married university professor Gareth Maguire in 2001.
ELISABETH HASSELBECK WELCOMES THIRD CHILD: Elisabeth Hasselbeck gave birth to her third child on Sunday (August 9th), a son named Isaiah. The View co-host's husband, NFL player Tim Hasselbeck said, "Elisabeth and Isaiah are doing great." The couple are also parents to a four-year-old daughter named Grace Elisabeth and a 20-month-old son, Taylor Thomas.
CHEECH GETS MARRIED: Cheech Marin has married his longtime girlfriend, pianist Natasha Rubin. A rep for the Cheech & Chong star confirmed to People magazine that the pair tied the knot in a sunset ceremony at their Malibu home. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa officiated the short civil ceremony. The couple got engaged in February after dating for four-and-a-half years.
TRACEY MORGAN DIVORCING: Tracey Morgan is divorcing his wife Sabina after 23 years of marriage. The New York Daily News reports that the couple is making the split official -- after having been separated for eight years. The 30 Rock star and Sabina have three sons together.
'SEX AND THE CITY' STAR ADOPTING SON: Sex and the City star Willie Garson is becoming a father. The actor, who plays Sanford in the television and movie series, told TV Guide magazine that he's in the process of finalizing the adoption of an eight-year-old boy named Nathan. The 45-year-old admitted that he originally wanted to adopt a toddler, but knew Nathan was his son after they met at an adoption fair in Los Angeles. He said, "I couldn't believe my kid was actually available for adoption. He's so cute and sweet."
DANIEL BALDWIN WELCOMES DAUGHTER: Daniel Baldwin and his wife Joanne welcomed a second daughter on Friday (August 7th). People magazine confirmed that Finley Rae Martineau Baldwin will join the couple's 19-month-old daughter Avis Ann. Baldwin has three other children from previous relationships.
WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP - UP
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra had a big opening to debut at the top of the weekend box office, while last week's Number One movie, Adam Sandler's Funny People, plunged to fifth place, down 65 percent from its opening weekend. G.I. Joe stars Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Dennis Quaid, Sienna Miller and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the story of an elite military unit going up against a corrupt arms dealer.
Opening in second place was the Nora Ephron-directed Julie & Julia. It stars Meryl Streep as Julia Child and Amy Adams as a modern-day woman who attempts to cook every recipe in the legendary chef's book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, in one year.
- The slasher thriller A Perfect Getaway, starring Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich, Timothy Olyphant and Marley Shelton opened in seventh place.
THIS WEEKEND'S TOP TEN MOVIES -- AUGUST 7-9
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, $56.2 million
- Julie & Julia, $20.1 million
- G-Force, $9.8 million
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $8.9 million
- Funny People, $7.9 million
- The Ugly Truth, $7 million
- A Perfect Getaway, $5.8 million
- Aliens in the Attic, $4 million
- Orphan, $3.73 million
- 500 Days of Summer, $3.7 million
JON GOSSELIN TO BE INTERVIEWED ON E!: In addition to their marriage vows, Jon and Kate Gosselin have also broken their promise not to speak to the media about their split. As Kate prepares to break her silence on the Today show this morning (August 10th), E! announced that they've landed the first televised sit-down with Jon since the split. The network will feature some quotes from Jon tonight, but the full exclusive interview will air tomorrow (August 11th).
ABC EXEC SLAMS KATHERINE HEIGL: ABC executive Steve McPherson is slamming Katherine Heigl for calling her Grey's Anatomy work schedule "cruel and mean." He told the Hollywood Reporter, "I think it's unfortunate. People are going to behave in the way they choose to behave. There are so many people who work so hard on 'Grey's,' and all of our shows, without any notoriety and those are the ones I'd be concerned about, people who feel like they're being criticized or looked down upon."
DAVID LETTERMAN DOMNATING LATE NIGHT TV: David Letterman began his vacation last week with a four-week winning streak in the late night ratings, which Reuters points out is his first time doing so since 1995. Although Conan O'Brien's Tonight show is a "hit" with men up to age 34, Reuters acknowledges that the show has lost two million viewers in a year. Despite the drop, NBC Universal chief executive Jeff Zucker.
TEEN CHOICE AWARDS WINNERS
Miley Cyrus and Twilight were among the big winners at the 11th annual Teen Choice Awards, which took place last night (Sunday, August 9th) at Universal Studios Hollywood's Gibson Amphitheatre. The show, which was hosted by the Jonas Brothers, will air tonight (Monday, August 10th) at 8 p.m. ET/PT on Fox.
According to the Associated Press, the vampire flick Twilight scored nine of its 12 awards, including choice drama, romance, liplock, rumble, drama actress for Kristen Stewart, drama actor for Robert Pattinson, villain for Cam Gigandet, fresh face female for Ashley Greene and fresh face male for Taylor Lautner.
Cyrus won a total of six awards, including comedy TV actress and comedy TV show for Hannah Montana, music/dance movie actress and hissy fit for the Hannah Montana film, single for her hit song "The Climb" and summer song for "Before The Storm." The Jonas Brothers took home five awards, including choice male red carpet icons and breakout TV show.
The CW series Gossip Girl was also a big hit of the night. The show's stars Chace Crawford, Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick picked up drama actor, actress, villain and TV series awards.
- Zac Efron landed awards for music/dance movie actor in High School Musical 3 and comedy movie actor and rockstar moment in 17 Again.
- Cyrus presented the ultimate choice award to Britney Spears. Spears thanked fans, saying, "you guys are awesome....Thank you and God bless."
- Performances were made by Cyrus, Sean Kingston and the Black Eyed Peas.
- Ellen Degeneres told that crowd that she will soon give away $1,000 randomly to someone following her on Twitter. She joked, "You can apply that toward your college education or to give to someone to help buy you beer."
Billy Mays' family is not ready to accept that cocaine was a factor in the pitchman's death
Despite autopsy results released on Friday (August 7th) that revealed he'd taken the drug a few days before passing away in his sleep on June 28th.
Although the medical examiner maintained that heart disease was the official cause of the 50-year-old's death, the autopsy found that "cocaine use caused or contributed to the development of heart disease." The findings also revealed that Mays had "powerful prescription painkillers and anti-anxiety drugs in his system, along with a few drinks," but was not high at the time of his death.
- However, Mays' widow called the findings "speculative ... and frankly unnecessary," and said the family might call for a second autopsy.
- The family said in a statement, "Given the hectic nature and pace of Billy's life, especially during the past 10 months of his exhaustive travel across the country, it was not surprising to hear that hypertension was the cause of his death. We were totally unaware of any non-prescription drug usage and are actively considering an independent evaluation of the autopsy results."
THE NASCAR REPORT FOR AUGUST 10TH, 2009
AMBROSE WINS: When Marcos Ambrose and Kyle Busch came to the chicane or "bus stop" on Lap 64 of Saturday's NASCAR Nationwide Series Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen International, Busch stopped -- out of necessity -- and Ambrose didn't. Ambrose's bold move into the chicane proved to be the winning pass, as the driver of the No. 47 Toyota held the lead the for the final 19 laps, winning the event for the
second straight year.
- Marcos Ambrose - Toyota
- Kyle Busch - Toyota
- Carl Edwards - Ford
- Kevin Harvick - Chevrolet
- Ron Fellows - Chevrolet
- Jeff Burton - Chevrolet
- Greg Biffle - Ford
- David Ragan - Ford
- Brad Keselowski - Chevrolet
- Scott Speed - Toyota
Note: The Sprint Cup Heluva Good! race at Watkins Glen has been rescheduled for noon ET Monday. There was no Camping World Truck Series Race this weekend. The next truck race is August 19th at Bristol Motor Speedway.
DID YOU KNOW?
WOMEN DESTINED TO HATE MOTHER-IN-LAWS: According to a new book by a British relationship expert, Dr. Terri Apter, women are programmed to dislike their mother-in-laws. Apter suggests that even if a wife or girlfriend wanted to like her in-law, she already has an expectation they won't get along. More than 200 people, including 49 couples, were interviewed for the book and almost two-thirds of women complained they had suffered long-term stress because of the friction with their husband's mother. She explained, "This mutual unease may have less to do with actual attitudes and far more to do with persistent female stereotypes that few of us manage to shake off completely. Both mother and wife are struggling to achieve the same position in the family -- primary woman."
SOUTH KOREA MAKING CITY MORE 'WOMAN-FRIENDLY': Time magazine reports that Seoul, South Korea, has begun a campaign to make the city more "women friendly" by painting city parking spaces pink, demarcating them for use by women in high heels because they are closer to malls and places of business so that women won't have to walk as far. The project, in which 4,929 public and private parking places have already been pink-ified throughout the city, is part of the city's Women Friendly Seoul Project. In addition to making the city more stiletto-friendly, it also proposes more public restrooms for women, improved lighting in public places and more public day-care centers.
BRITISH WOMEN PREFER FAT, SMELLY MEN: A poll of 5,192 women by Lion Bar Ice Cream found that 80 percent of British ladies would rather be with a "real" guy, than one who waxes his body and frosts his tips. Furthermore, one in five admitted they liked a man with a bit of BO, and 10 percent even copped to lusting for guys who smell like beer. Lion Bar's spokesman said, "British blokes can wear their Speedos with pride, even if they have a bit of belly."
EXERCISE WON'T MAKE YOU THIN: Time magazine's new cover story is titled "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin." Eric Ravussin, an exercise researcher from Louisiana State University who studies diabetes and metabolism actually says: "In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless." The magazine explained, "The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder."
THE WORST MOVIES & sHOWS TO WATCH AS A COUPLE
- "Hannibal" -- Being chopped up into little pieces. Not sexy. Enough said."
- "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" -- It's hard to get hot and steamy after your guy has watched an entire 30 minutes of the potential hell marriage and children can bring. Eight children plus a bossy wife definitely puts a damper on desire."
- "Requiem for a Dream" -- "Years ago I went with a date to see this arty little drama. As if the film itself weren't bleak enough, he confessed that it was extra-hard to watch since his best friend had recently died of an overdose."
- "Swingers" -- "One of the ultimate displays of male douchebaggery, 'Swingers' reminds me why I would rather be at home with my cat. Watch it on a date and I can almost guarantee at the end you'll want to punch the first guy you see."
- "The O'Reilly Factor" -- "From personal experience, I don't recommend anything political. Arguments ensue; action does not."
- "South Park" -- "I was out with a guy and when we got to his place, his roommates were watching 'South Park' so we joined in. That was fine, but then an episode came on that was all about queefing. There was even a song about it. My sex drive totally plummeted."
- "Obsessed" -- "Ali Larter makes Glenn Close look tame. As a general rule, you don't want your guy questioning the sanity of all women. I saw this with a guy and when we left he said, 'If a hottie like Ali Larter can go psycho, that doesn't bode well for the rest of you.' I didn't get a kiss goodnight."
- "Bruno" -- "My boyfriend and I recently saw 'Bruno.' My guy loves uber-raunchy, politically incorrect flicks and so I got dragged. As a nasty after-effect, neither of us felt like getting busy between the sheets that night. Nothing more potent to kill a guy's game than a gay Austrian with a potty mouth."
- "Fatal Attraction" -- "It's a classic guilty pleasure, and perfect when it's on for the Thursday-night movie on TV -- but definitely don't expose your man. It's like their natural fight-or-flight instinct engages. If you want any post-movie nookie, take this one off the short list!"
- "Brokeback Mountain" -- "I rented this with my guy, and let's just say watching gay cowboys didn't exactly get him going. I think the fact that the hotties were more attractive than he is threw off his game. I tried to cuddle up mid-flick and he got rigid as a board. I wouldn't recommend it."
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Paula Abdul wrote on Twitter Tuesday that she will not be back on "American Idol." She's done!
- "Let's Make a Deal" is coming back to daytime television. CBS says that an updated version of the show will debut October 5, with Wayne Brady as host.
- An apple a day can keep pounds away, according to a study from Penn State University at State College. People who consumed the fruit before a meal took in 15% fewer calories overall than those who didn't.
- Columbia Pictures got the rights to turn that footage of Michael Jackson's final rehearsals into a movie.
- People with at least one sister are generally more optimistic and ambitious than those without one, suggests a study from the University of Ulster in Magee, Ireland.
- The new "Modest Mouse" video was directed by the late Heath Ledger.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Billy Currington has canceled his next four scheduled shows to continue recuperating after the stage collapsed during his performance at a festival in Canada on Saturday (August 1st). Still healing from a mild concussion and on the advice of his doctors, Currington has canceled his appearances on Thursday (August 6th) in Sikeston, Missouri; Friday (August 7th) in Indianapolis; Saturday (August 8th) in West Allis, Wisconsin; and Sunday (August 9th) in Pontiac, Michigan. He will reportedly return to the road for his August 13th date in Augusta, Maine.
- Currington and his bass player were injured when a deadly storm hit the Big Jamboree Valley music festival in Alberta.
- Dozens of concert-goers were injured, while one woman was killed.
- Currington's bass player, Alex Stevens, was pinned under wreckage and underwent surgery to repair a severed artery and nerves in his arm. He continues to receive treatment in Nashville.
Jack Ingram's latest hit, "Barefoot And Crazy" is making his fans go, well . . . barefoot and crazy. Concert-goers have been taking their shoes off during the song and tossing them in the air or up onstage, something that Ingram says has become a fun part of the show. "The first time we started playin' it early this summer I saw people takin' off their shoes, and it just kind of was like, 'Hey, that's a great idea,' and so I took off my boots and threw 'em up in the air. Some other people threw some other shoes up in the air, and all of a sudden it kinda was one of those things that just kinda started spreading around. The next time we played it everybody just started takin' off their shoes and now I'm kinda bandleadin' up there and gettin' them all to throw it up, to throw their shoes up at the same time."
Ingram says he's been working on this group shoe toss, if you will. "Comin' out of the solo section there's like a sing-along part and then we jump right back into the chorus where the band kicks in, and I just have this picture in my mind of like graduation day where everybody throws their hats in the air at the same time, so I've been gettin' everybody to throw (the shoes) as soon as the band comes in -- 'Yah, wooo!' It's a trip! I was always used to beers being thrown on stage and every now and again bras and underwear, but shoes is different."
A Georgia man was arrested this week after attempting to stalk Miley Cyrus on the set of her new movie -- just weeks after police warned him to stay away from the 16-year-old. Tybee Island Police Chief Jim Price confirmed that 53-year-old Mark McLeod was put in handcuffs after Disney security guards reported that he was asking where he could find Cyrus.
- Ingram is playing fairs and festivals this summer, with a few new dates lined up with Toby Keith later this month.
- His new album, Big Dreams & High Hopes, will be released on August 25th.
CHECK IT OUT: To bid on Cyrus's items, go to: http://tinyurl.com/mm2zzrBlake Shelton is proud to have three co-writes on his girlfriend, Miranda Lambert's, upcoming album. Shelton tells us Lambert was kind to include him on the project considering she has sold more albums than he with far fewer hits. "The coolest thing about her to me is that she's made her way in spite of how everybody in Nashville probably thinks she should do it and what they think she should record. She's her own deal, and she's been successful in spite of not really having a lot of success at radio. She still sells more records than most of us in the country industry and she's only had one Top 10 single. I love that. I think it's hilarious."
- McLeod was arrested in June on charges of disorderly conduct and obstruction after trying to breach a security perimeter around the movie set. At the time, he told police that he was secretly engaged to marry Cyrus.
- In other Miley news, the teen star is partnering with eBay in an online auction that gives one fan and three friends the chance to be her "roadie for a day" during her upcoming concert tour. Cyrus is also auctioning off some of her favorite outfits, the proceeds from which will benefit the Pappy Cyrus Family Foundation -- the Cyrus family's personal charity that was founded last year in honor of her grandfather to help kids in need.
Luke Bryan is set to release his sophomore album, called Doin' My Thing, on October 6th. His debut single, "Do I," continues to climb the charts. Doin' My Thing is the follow-up to his 2007 debut, I'll Stay Me, which produced the hit singles "All My Friends Say" and "Country Man."
- The CD, called Revolution, comes out on September 29th.
- "Dead Flowers," the album's first release, peaked at Number 37 on the Billboard Top Country Songs chart.
- Her new single, "White Liar," makes its way to radio in the next few weeks.
- Bryan said, "I can't wait for my fans to hear my new record. I have wrapped three years of touring, hard work and, most importantly, meeting fans, and I think all of that growth is reflected on this album. Doin' My Thing will make my die-hard fans very happy and hopefully will reach out and grab some new fans. I am very proud of the music on this album and can't wait to get it out there!"
Lee Ann Womack will host the 2nd Annual ACM Honors at Nashville's Schermerhorn Symphony Center on September 22nd. The evening recognizes the special honorees and off-camera category winners from the 44th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards, which was held in April.
- Bryan is serving as the 2009 honorary chairman for National Hunting and Fishing Day, taking place on September 26th. The Day was formalized by Congress in 1972 as an annual celebration to remind the public that conservation depends on funding and leadership from hunters and anglers.
- Bryan has toured with such headliners as Kenny Chesney, Trace Adkins, and Dierks Bentley.
Those being honored include Special Award recipients Merle Haggard, Harlan Howard, Dolly Parton, Jerry Reed, Kenny Rogers, Randy Travis, Hank Williams Jr., David Young and the film Beer For My Horses, along with winners of the Musician, Bandleader, Instrumentalist, and Industry categories, which are not televised during the live telecast of the ACM Awards.
- Martina McBride hosted the first official ACM Honors last year. Honorees included Bill Anderson, Dick Clark, Brenda Lee, the Oak Ridge Boys, Fred Rose, Conway Twitty and Porter Wagoner.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
CAN YOU DUET SEASON 2/CMT 10:00AM (ET)
Naomi Judd, Big Kenny
CMT CROSSROADS/CMT 11:00PM (ET)
Reba McEntire, Kelly Clarkson
THE COLLECTION: KEITH URBAN/GAC 1:00PM (ET)
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 5:00PM (ET)
Billy Currington, Lee Ann Womack
INTO THE CIRCLE/GAC 9:30PM (ET)
James Otto, Travis Tritt
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Garth Brooks' mother, Colleen, died in Oklahoma of throat cancer in 1999.
- The Wynonna album was certified triple-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1993.
- Hank Snow, Lefty Frizzell, Eddie Dean, Freddie Hart and The Collins Kids performed the first-ever country concert at Los Angeles' Hollywood Bowl in 1955 with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra.
'TRUE BLOOD' CO-STARS ENGAGED: True Blood co-stars Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer are engaged. Reps for both actors confirmed to People magazine that the couple of six months plans to tie the knot, but no other details were revealed. 39-year-old Moyer has two children from previous relationships, while this is the first marriage for the 27-year-old Paquin. When speaking about love scenes with her beau last month, Paquin told People magazine, "Obviously, if you're already with that person then you're not having to sort of get over the 'Wow, I'm naked with someone that I don't even know the middle name of!'"
LEIGHTON MEESTER ADDRESSES SEX TAPE RUMORS: Despite rampant rumors, Leighton Meester insists that there is not a sex tape of her in existence. The Gossip Girl star told Harper's Bazaar, "[The tape] is not real. So it makes me sort of sad. It's unfortunate that it got carried as far as it did." In June, TMZ.com claimed that a company was shopping around a video of Meester, shot a few years earlier with an unidentified partner. Still, the experience taught her a lesson. She admitted, "I definitely understand the nature of people better now and that the mere allegation of something like that could be headline news. People think it's real because somebody says it is."
ASHLEY JUDD REPORTEDLY ENROLLS AT HARVARD: Ashley Judd has reportedly enrolled at Harvard. The school's website reports that the actress will study at the Harvard Kennedy School's Mid-Career Master in Public Administration. The Kennedy School declined to comment on Judd's enrollment in the program, which launched on July 22nd, but spokeswoman Molly Lanzarotta noted that the degree often attracts public officials and non-profit activists.
SHARON STONE GOES TOPLESS: Sharon Stone is baring her breasts for the magazine, Paris Match. On the cover, the 51-year-old dons a tight, black leotard -- that stops below her breasts. To see the photo, go to: http://tinyurl.com/m3q7h2
MORE GOSSIP ABOUT SUPPOSED PENELOPE CRUZ PREGNANCY: More sources are coming forward claiming that Penelope Cruz is pregnant. Last month, the New York Post speculated that the actress was expecting a baby with boyfriend Javier Bardem, and now an insider told JustJared.com, "Penelope is about four months pregnant. She's really healthy now and will be a great mother."
ROSIE O'DONNELL AND PARTNER STILL TOGETHER: Contrary to rumors, Rosie O'Donnell and her longtime partner Kelli Carpenter-O'Donnell are not splitting up. After gossip surfaced that the couple had been living separately for the past few months, O'Donnell's rep told People magazine, "There is no truth to this -- at all." She added, "This is ridiculous. I get this rumor every time Rosie travels for work. Right now she is on tour with Cyndi Lauper."
OSCAR-WINNING SCREENWRITER SUING OVER X-RATED PICTURE: Oscar-winner Dustin Lance Black is taking legal action after discovering that naked photos of him and an ex-boyfriend appeared on the internet. The New York Post reports that Black, who won the screenwriting award for Milk, is suing Starzlife.com and a man he claims stole the photos from his ex for $3 million, claiming he's suffered invasion of privacy, copyright infringement and violation of the right of publicity, among other things. In the suit, he claims to have been under the impression that the photos had been deleted a long time ago. TOMMY HILFIGER IS A DAD AGAIN: Tommy Hilfiger and his wife Dee welcomed a son on Tuesday (August 4th). People magazine confirmed that Sebastian Thomas Hilfiger came into the world eight months after the couple tied the knot. Hilfiger is already a father of four, while Dee has two other children
JENNIFER ANISTON SIGNS ON FOR PRISON MOVIE: Jennifer Aniston has signed on to star in Goree Girls, a firm about the Goree All Girl String Band -- a country music group whose members were all inmates at a Texas prison. Variety reports that the band was made up of female felons serving time for robbery, murder and cattle rustling and managed to have a popular 1940s-era radio show.
'KENDRA' GETS BIG RATINGS: The season finale of Kendra in which the Playboy alum tied the knot with NFL star Hank Baskett garnered E! it's highest first-season finale ratings since the Anna Nicole Show in 2002. Broadcasting & Cable reports that 2.1 million people tuned in for Sunday's (August 2nd) broadcast and was the most watched show of the night among adults 18-34 and women 18-34.
SPECULATION SWIRLS AROUND JAY LENO CORRESPONDENTS: Jay Leno is reportedly set to announce the correspondents who will check in on his upcoming NBC prime-time show during the summer Television Critics Association press tour, but the New York Post has the inside scoop. The paper claims that those checking in with Leno will include Brian Williams and comedians Mikey Day, Rachael Harris, D.L. Hughley and Jim Norton.
'ON THE WATERFRONT' SCREENWRITER DIES AT 95: Budd Schulberg, the writer of the Oscar-winning screenplay, On the Waterfront, died Wednesday (August 5) at age 95. His wife, Betsy said he died of natural causes at his home in Westhampton Beach, New York. On the Waterfront, which starred Marlon Brando, won eight Academy Awards.
JOSH DUHAMEL TO STAR WITH KATHERINE HEIGL? PerezHilton.com reports that Josh Duhamel is currently in talks to take a role in Life as We Know It, which already stars Katherine Heigl. The story chronicles "two unattached adults whose worlds are turned upside down when their mutual best friends die in an accident and name them as caregivers of their orphaned daughter."
DID YOU KNOW?
AMERICAN MEN ARE BEST HUSBANDS: A study recently found that American men were considered the best husbands, along with men from other "egalitarian" countries such as Norway, Sweden, England and Northern Ireland. Dr. Almudena Sevilla-Sanz from Oxford University in London found that Australian men make the worst husbands and hate helping out around the house. U.S. and British men, on the other hand, don't mind lending a hand when it comes to housework. Sevilla-Sanz explained, "In egalitarian countries you might, in principle, expect to see women preferring to remain single rather than face the prospect of spending more time doing household chores. However, this study shows that in egalitarian countries there is less social stigma attached to men doing what was traditionally women's work. For instance, if paternity leave is the social norm, more men take it."
SAVE THE RAINFOREST BY PEEING IN SHOWER: New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water -- by urinating in the shower. Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes. The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually. The spot features cartoon drawings of people from all walks of life - a trapeze artist, a basketball player, even an alien -- urinating in the shower. Narrated by children's voices, the ad ends with: "Pee in the shower! Save the Atlantic rainforest!"
NEW DRINK CALLED 'WEED IN A CAN': A new drink being sold in Arizona is called Drank, and it's a 16-ounce soda drink that tastes sort of like grape soda. Drank calls itself an extreme relaxation product, so much so, that some have dubbed it "weed in a can." Brandon Rycombel sells and delivers Drank to stores. He says, "I think a lot of people use that for stress relief. That's what we use it for." A spokesperson says it's an alternative -- not a substitute -- for marijuana. "This isn't going to get you into any trouble," says Rycombel. "You can buy it in the store. It's legal."
TOIN COSSES DON'T HAVE 50-50 ODDS? A flipped coin will land in the same position it started 51 percent of the time. In a paper titled "Dynamical Bias in the Coin Toss," three Stanford professors argued that the flight of a coin flip is "determined by (its) initial condition." Specifically, it is slightly more likely to end up heads if it starts heads and vice versa. Using principles of physics and math the researchers were even able to build a coin-flipping machine that could produce heads every time; although when a human in a non-fixed environment does the tossing, it's a 51/49 split.
WHISKY PREVENTS SWINE FLU? The Telegraph reports that Russian football supporters visiting Wales for an international have been urged "to drink a lot of Welsh whisky as a form of disinfection" against swine flu. A writer for the paper familiar with the cure-all explained, "My grandma first dosed me with the miracle cure, in the form of a hot honeyed toddy, when I was seven and had a severe cold. The warm peaty fumes, which briskly cleared my nasal passages, were a vast improvement on the menthol and eucalyptus pong of Vicks VapoRub."
National Underwear Day --
Who knew your underwear could be so revealing? Handbag.com, TheSite.org and the Arizona State University have it all figured out:
- High-cut briefs -- Ladies who wear "granny panties" tend to be perfectionists, except when it comes to style. They care most about comfort and function. They are practical people who don't dress to impress.
- Boy shorts or thong -- Women who don these are confident go-getters who enjoy a challenge. They like to show off their curves, are outgoing, and open to new things. They also enjoy not having a panty line when they wear pants. They like the thong because it makes them feel sexy even when they wear jeans, while boy shorts are cute and feminine -- without baring it all.
- The need to match -- Some women must have a matching bra and panty set. These confident women are quite fashion-conscious and enjoy pampering themselves. Some might even call them spoiled or high-maintenance.
- Boxers -- Wearing boxers is all about comfort, but men who prefer boxers are generally laidback, not too flashy, and light-hearted. Boxers are the #1 choice in underwear for men.
- Briefs -- Nicknamed tightie-whities even if they are red or blue or some other color, briefs are worn by men who are inhibited and like the restricted feel of this kind of underwear. Hey guys, it's not uncommon for women to think of you as their little brother when they find out you wear briefs.
- Boxer-briefs -- Can you say the best of both worlds? Men who opt for boxer-briefs are very good at committing in relationships. Hey, they already know how to compromise since they've done it with their underwear!
- Thong -- Men who wear thongs are tremendously outgoing and some are exhibitionists. Check a male thong-wearer's high school yearbook, and you'll no doubt find "Class Clown" under his name.
- No underwear -- Either someone forgot to do the laundry or he is very down-to-earth and embraces a natural way of life.
A Cosmopolitan Web poll ask: "What type of underwear do women like best on men?"
- 45% said boxer briefs
- 40% said boxers
- 11% said low-rise styles
- 4% said briefs
Underwear: A Brief History (from Cosmopolitan):
- 2500 B.C. -- The ancient Egyptians sported what was probably the first ever version of underwear the loincloth.
- 1200s -- During the Middle Ages, the first pull-on underpants were invented. These loose fitting drawers, called braise, tied at the waist and midcalf.
- 1500s -- Codpieces became popular. Shaped to show off a man's goods, these enhancers were often filled out with padding.
- 1800s -- Cotton companies were massed-producing undies like the union suit, a full body style with ranging sleeve lengths.
- 1930s -- Companies began selling what were the first boxers shorts. And in 1934, Jockey debuted Y-vent briefs.
- 1960s -- With the invention of materials like nylon and Lycra, underwear got more comfortable and more colorful.
- 1982 -- Calvin Klein posted a billboard in Times Square of a hot guy in briefs, and it got a lot of people buzzing.
- Today - Men's underwear has really evolved. It now comes in high-tech materials and daring styles, like the man thong.
Money's list of America's best small towns is out and here are the top 10 towns
1. Louisville, CO, 18,800
2. Chanhassen, MN, 23,700
3. Papillion, NE, 22,200
4. Middleton, WI, 16,900
5. Milton, MA, 25,400
6. Warren, NJ, 16,100
7. Keller, TX, 38,100
8. Peachtree City, GA, 34,500
9. Lake St. Louis, MO, 13,900
10. Mukilteo, WA, 20,500
11. West Goshen, PA, 8,800
12. Sammamish, WA, 35,200
13. Superior, CO, 10,500
14. Farmington, UT, 16,500
15. Westerville, OH, 35,700
16. Acton, MA, 21,100
17. Newcastle, WA, 9,800
18. Highland Heights, OH, 8,600
19. Hopkinton, MA, 14,000
20. Chaska, MN, 23,900
21. Montville, NJ, 22,300
22. Draper, UT, 38,600
23. Solon, OH, 22,000
24. Mansfield, TX, 44,100
25. Ellisville, MO, 9,200
GIRLS DAY OUT IS BACK!
With our biggest and best "Girls Day Out" yet!
It's anything and everything that women want!
All in one great location!
When: Saturday Sep 26th 10am-3pm Where: Harrah's Laughlin Ballroom Price: Free Admission!
Invite your girlfriends from California out for the weekend! Contact Harrah's Laughlin for special Girls Day Out Rates!
Spend the weekend in beautiful Laughlin, NV. Weather should be sunny, clear and 90 deegres. Perfect for boating, tanning, hanging out by the pool having cocktails. Get a massage at the Spa in Harrah's, see a comedy show, go to the buffet or steakhouse for dinner! Dance the night away! Go to a concert!
"Girls Day Out" is everything women want all at one location. Food, clothing, jewelery, cars, hair and makeup, botox, boats, a pink Harley, Rhinos, massages, purse and handbags, tattoo's, bathing suits, DIY, home makeover info, cocktails, photography and more!
Attention Vendors: We only have a few booths left. Inside and Outside (room for motorcycles, cars, boats, RV's and more outside as well)!
If you need to expose your products to hundreds and hundreds of women all in one location contact Cameron Broadcasting or your local Cameron rep at 928 763-5586 between 9am and 5pm today!
I NEED A MAN!
Are you looking for love in all the wrong places? There are simple feng shui "cures" you can apply to the relationships corner of your home -- walk in the front door to the rear of your home, then take a right, that's your relationships corner -- and to your bedroom -- a relationships area, no matter where it falls in your home -- to help you attract love energy. Put these quick tips into action and see the energy of love start to flow to you.
Things to Remove:
- Stuff from old relationships -- You've got to cut the ties to the past. Lose the old love letters, furniture, trinkets, gifts and dried flowers from what was once a happy relationship.
- Single stuff -- If you are single and looking, you can get fast results by just removing the art in the home that depicts a single woman within the frame. If you have an expensive portrait of yourself, give it to a friend or relative to hold for you for a while. Single ladies hanging around the house attract single attitudes and energies.
- Single setup -- Having just one nightstand next your bed with every other space in your room filled to the brim with your stuff gives the impression that you are comfortable with your single lifestyle.
- Too much feminine ch'i -- If your home or room is so covered in lace and perfume bottles that a guy can't even come in and sit down without shivering, then lighten up on the girly stuff and get a little macho vibe going instead.
- Juvenile ch'i -- Stuffed animals, games and dolls don't attract mature relationships -- if that is what you are looking for.
- Distractions -- Remove items that make you stray from your intent for a relationship, such as exercise equipment, work-related items, laundry and television. You can still keep these items, of course, just keep them out of the love area.
- Pointy and pokey things -- Sharp angles and corners poking into this area of the home only keeps the people you attract at bay. Lose the cactus.
Things to Add:
- Space -- Make room for the energy of love by literally creating space. Clean out half the medicine cabinet, half a drawer, some of the closet. Allow the nightstand on the other side of the bed to remain empty, or you could add a little something there that you think your lover would be attracted to.
- Matching pairs -- Replace the single stuff with matching pairs of things: a set of love birds, a couple of candles sticks, two hearts made of rose quartz.
- Sensual items -- If the possibility presents itself, are you prepared? Chocolate, candles, massage oils, champagne, nice sheets, a clean bathtub or a nice robe can help you feel assured that you can handle the energy when it arrives. Think of the five senses here, and make sure you have catered to each.
- Pink stuff -- In feng shui, pink is the color of love. Pink stuff can actually help hold love energy for you. I'm talking about even placing a piece of pink-colored construction paper here -- almost anything pink can help.
- Round or rounded items -- Curvy stuff mimics body form -- nice to have around in the relationship area.
Now the real way to attract love and a man is to:
- Get two fridges with tappers... one in the garage, one in the bedroom.
- A plasma TV in the bathroom and the bedroom.
- Satellite MLB, NBA and NFL package.
- Move next door to a Pizza Hut.
- Become a Victoria Secret lingerie model... and if you can't pull it off, move the hell out so a VS model can move in.
K-Flag Country Music Update
Tim McGraw will perform as part of NFL kick off night when the Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Tennessee Titans on September 10th in Pittsburgh. The singer told NFL Total Access that he will sing some tracks from his upcoming album, Southern Voice, which will be released on October 20th.
McGraw has also signed on to participate in the 2nd Annual Halfway to Hazard Charity Trail Ride in Eastern Kentucky on August 22nd and 23rd. Other celebrities set to join in the 1,000-plus ATV ride and concert include Dierks Bentley, James Otto, Keith Anderson, Danielle Peck, Gabe Garcia, NASCAR legend Kyle Petty, and motorcross star Ricky Carmichael.
- The Charity Trail Ride benefits the Buckhorn Children's and Family Center, an organization committed to caring for suffering children and families in Kentucky and Ohio.
Chris Young is thrilled with the success he's having with his latest single, "Gettin' You Home (The Black Dress Song)." The tune is one of three he co-wrote for his upcoming album, The Man I Want To Be. Young tells us he and his co-writers actually sat down to work on another song when the idea for "Gettin' You Home" came to them. "We actually had gotten together to finish something else that we started, and we had worked on it all morning and couldn't get it done, and (we) went up, had lunch, came back down and we were sittin' there playin' on guitar, and we were talkin' basically this whole scene out in our head. We were just kind of goofin' off and we were like, 'Man, that's a song!'"
Young says the song came so quickly that they wondered if it was really any good. "We wrote this thing in 45 minutes, and it really was one of those moments where you sit there and go, 'Is this brilliant or are we gonna wake up tomorrow and think this is the stupidest thing we've ever written cause we wrote it too fast?' (We) just had a really good feeling about the song, and it's crazy to watch it climb the chart."
Kenny Chesney is not a light packer. The superstar's Sun City Carnival tour utilizes dozens of trucks and buses to carry the singer, his band and his stage set from city to city. Among the necessary items, however, are more than a few toys, as Chesney tells us:"We got a lot of trucks, lot of buses. I don't know how we could have more stuff. I got a whole truck full of nothin' but stuff. I've got a semi truck of stuff we put in the vibe room and basketball goals and a stuffed blue marlin we put on stage every night just because, just as a talk point. You know, people go, 'Why does Kenny have a stuffed blue marlin on stage?' There's no rhyme or reason to it. It just makes me feel good."
- "Gettin' You Home (The Black Dress Song)" is a current Top 25 hit and climbing on the country charts.
- Young's new CD will be released on September 1st.
- The Sun City Carnival tour rolls into Orange Beach, Alabama on Thursday (August 6th), followed by shows in Florida this weekend on Friday (August 7th)in Jacksonville and on Saturday (August 8th) in Tampa.
- The tour wraps up on September 19th in Indianapolis.
Lorrie Morgan has been cast in the Broadway-bound production of the hit movie, Pure Country. She will join fellow singer Joe Nichols in the show, which is set to open early next year. Morgan will play the role of Lula, the ruthless manager of Nichols' character, Rusty. In the movie, the lead was named Dusty, and it was played by George Strait. Morgan's character was played by Lesley Anne Warren in the 1992 feature film.
- Morgan said, "I never thought my life's path would take me to Broadway, but when I heard they were creating a musical based on one of country music's best-loved films, I knew I had to be part of it. I'm very excited about making my Broadway debut and becoming part of the theater community. I'm also looking forward to working with Joe Nichols. He's an amazing talent and I hope country fans come on up to the big city to see us!"
- Morgan will release a new album, called A Moment in Time, in October.
Keith Urban, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland and George Strait are among the superstars featured on a new compilation CD called NOW That's What I Call Country Volume 2. The project features 20 songs, eight of which topped the country charts. NOW That's What I Call Country Volume 2 also includes five downloadable bonus tracks from today's rising young stars, such as David Nail, Chris Young and Emily West.
NOW That's What I Call Country Volume 2 will be released on August 25th.
The complete track listing is as follows:
1. Keith Urban -- "Kiss A Girl"
2. Kenny Chesney -- "Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven"
3. Taylor Swift -- "Love Story"
4. Rascal Flatts -- "Here"
5. Montgomery Gentry -- "Roll With Me"
6. Trace Adkins -- "Marry For Money"
7. Carrie Underwood -- "I Told You So"
8. Alan Jackson -- "Country Boy"
9. Josh Turner -- "Everything Is Fine"
10. Sugarland -- "All I Want To Do"
11. Miranda Lambert -- "Gunpowder & Lead"
12. Gary Allan -- "Learning How To Bend"
13. Jamey Johnson -- "In Color"
14. Darius Rucker -- "It Won't Be Like This For Long"
15. Dierks Bentley -- "Sideways"
16. Jake Owen -- "Don't Think I Can't Love You"
17. Eric Church -- "Love Your Love The Most"
18. Billy Currington -- "Don't"
19. Lady Antebellum -- "I Run To You"
20. George Strait -- "Troubadour"
The free downloads include:
1. David Nail -- "Turning Home"
2. Easton Corbin -- "A Little More Country Than That"
3. Chris Young -- "Gettin' You Home"
4. Caitlin & Will -- "Address In The Stars"
5. Emily West -- "Blue Sky"
- NOW That's What I Call Country Volume 2 is the newest in the NOW That's What I Call Music! series of compilation albums.
- Last year's NOW That's What I Call Country debuted at Number One on Billboard's Top Country Albums chart and continues to be among the Top 40 country albums nearly a year after its release.
Q. What was the name of Miranda Lambert's 2005 debut single?
A. "Me And Charlie Talking"
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
CAN YOU DUET SEASON 2/CMT 10:00AM (ET)
Naomi Judd, Big Kenny
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 9:00PM (ET)
Billy Currington, Lee Ann Womack
THE COLLECTION: KEITH URBAN/GAC 10:00PM (ET)
CMT CROSSROADS/CMT 11:00PM (ET)
Reba McEntire, Kelly Clarkson
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
- Dolly Parton's "Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That" went to Number One in 1989.
- Rosanne Cash recorded the chart-topping hit, "Seven Year Ache," in 1980.
- Jamey Johnson's album, That Lonesome Song, was released in 2008.
- Keith Urban's Be Here album was certified double-platinum in 2005.
- Alan Jackson climbed to Number One on the Billboard country singles chart with "I Don't Even Know Your Name" in 1995.
JILLIAN HARRIS NOT WORRIED ABOUT CHEATING RUMORS: Jillian Harris is brushing off rumors that her new fiance, Ed Swiderski, was stringing along two other woman while wooing the 29-year-old on The Bachelorette. People magazine reports that Lindsey Johnson and Bethany Steffen claim that Swiderski was involved with them even after proposing to Harris on May 24th. Harris told People, "I am not destroyed! There's a little bit of anxiety that comes with this news, but I am absolutely not destroyed. My biggest concern is with everything that happened after the day we got engaged, and after we got engaged he has been so open with me. He's told me all of this, every little text message and every little phone call. I use his computer. I know that any communication he had with the girls post-show was platonic. I'm not worried about it."
MISCHA BARTON STILL OUT ON THE TOWN: Mischa Barton reportedly isn't skipping the social scene after her recent hospitalization. The New York Post reports that the actress was observed "having a disastrous dinner" with friends over the weekend in Manhattan, where she is working on the CW's The Beautiful Life. A witness explained, "She was upset and talking frantically into her phone about having a stalker. Her friends were trying to console her, but she went outside and chain-smoked cigarettes."
RACHEL BILSON ENGAGEMENT STILL ON: Rachel Bilson's engagement to Hayden Christensen is still on. Although rumors circulated that she had split from the actor after she arrived at a recent Hollywood party without her engagement ring, her rep told the New York Daily News, "The engagement is on; she just doesn't always wear the ring."
'SLUMDOG' COUPLE ADMIT RELATIONSHIP: Dev Patel and Freida Pinto have reportedly decided to acknowledge their relationship after nearly a year together. The Huffington Post reports that the couple made their first public appearance on Sunday (August 2nd), agreeing to pose as a couple outside a special screening of their film, Slumdog Millionaire.
'TRUE BLOOD' STAR MARRIES: True Blood star Kristin Bauer tied the knot with her musician boyfriend, Abri van Straten, in Wisconsin last Saturday (August 1st). The actress told RadarOnline.com, "On the morning of the wedding I woke up to rain but even the weather played along as the relatives arrived. The sky cleared, the sun came out and we had the most perfect wedding. We are very happy."
'TOP CHEF' JUDGE WELCOMES SON: Top Chef judge Tom Colicchio and his wife, Lori Silverbush, welcomed a son last Saturday (August 1st). A rep for Top Chef network Bravo told People magazine that the family is "doing great." The couple named their son Luka Bodhi Colicchio. The judge has a 16-year-old son from a previous relationship.
MILLA JOVOVICH REPORTEDLY PLANNING WEDDING: Milla Jovovich is reportedly planning to wed her longtime fiance on August 22nd. PerezHilton.com quotes the model/actress as having said, "We're having an intimate wedding with a classical Spanish band at our house in the Hollywood Hills. Paul's family are flying in from England." The couple, who have a 20-month-old daughter, have been engaged for six years.
CANDY SPELLING TALKS TORI AGAIN: Just a week after penning an open letter in which she slammed her daughter for using her children as "reality show props," Candy Spelling told Tori through USA Today, "I love you, and I always will." Candy said that she wrote the letter because she was angry about the negative way she was portrayed on Tori's reality show, Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood. As for the possibility of a reconciliation, Candy told the paper, "It could be years of disappointment. Maybe someday she'll get it. She's my daughter. I may not approve of everything she does, but I love her."
JON & KATE PLUS 8' RATINGS PLUNGE: The ratings for Jon & Kate Plus 8 dropped 61 percent from their record-breaking June 22nd episode as the show returned from a month-long hiatus on Monday (August 3rd). The first half hour of Monday's show drew 3.9 million viewers while the second was watched by 4.1 million. The June 22nd show -- in which the couple announced their separation -- was watched by 10.6 million viewers.
RUMORS SURROUND POSSIBLE 'SOPRANOS' MOVIE: Despite rumors that the only thing stopping a Sopranos movie from hitting the big screen is James Gandolfini, series star Lorraine Bracco denies that the actor is reluctant to sign on. The actress told the New York Daily News, "I don't think it's that at all. I think it's really trying to get the right script. Without the right script, it's really not worth doing." Although an HBO source denied that a movie script exists, actor Steve Van Zandt recently told a Belfast newspaper that despite how it appeared in the show's finale, his character Sil is "still alive."
LAUREN CONRAD AND KIM KARDASHIAN TO APPEAR ON 'AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL': Lauren Conrad and Kim Kardashian are among the guest judges who will be featured in the upcoming season of America's Next Top Model. In addition to their own experience in reality TV, the girls also have fashion in common with the show as Kardashian owns a designer clothing store and Conrad is debuting her LC Lauren Conrad clothing line for Kohl's this fall.
HUGH JACKMAN LINES UP NEXT ROLE: Hugh Jackman has been tapped to play showman P.T. Barnum in an upcoming film. Reuters confirmed on Tuesday (August 4th) that Jackman will star in The Greatest Showman on Earth, but there is neither a start date or scheduled release for the project yet.
KATE MOSS-SIMON COWELL DEAL GETTING CLOSER TO REALITY: Kate Moss has reportedly been tapped to act as either a judge or host for Simon Cowell's next U.K. talent-search television show, So You Want to Be a Rock n' Roll Star? People magazine also reports that a deal is in the works for Moss to develop and merchandise the new program -- in addition to taking part in Cowell's existing shows like American Idol and Britain's Got Talent. The magazine added that British press reports indicate that Moss could make as much as $80 million on the deal.
TOM ARNOLD GOING BACK TO TV: Tom Arnold is heading back to television. Variety reports that the former sitcom star has signed a deal to write and produce a half hour comedy for Universal Media Studios. It's possible that Arnold -- who previously created and headlined The Tom Show and Tom -- will also star in the new series, but right now the deal focuses on development.
STEVEN SPIELBERG'S NEXT PROJECT LINED UP: Steven Spielberg has reportedly signed on to direct Harvey, the adaptation of the similarly-titled play and movie that originally starred Jimmy Stewart. Variety reports that Spielberg is expected to reach out to top stars like Tom Hanks and Will Smith for the lead role. Production on the film, about a man whose best friend is an invisible rabbit, is slated to begin early next year.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Posters of President Obama, made up to look like a Heath Ledger style "Joker," have begun popping up in Los Angeles.
- A new study by American and Finish researchers indicate there's a connection between high cholesterol and dementia.
- Michael Douglas' son, Cameron, has been arrested on suspicion of possessing meth.
- Florida Gators football coach Urban Meyer has signed a new six-year, $24 million contract.
- "Heroes" star Ali Larter married her longtime actor boyfriend Hayes MacArthur in an east coast wedding last weekend.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub got married at the Las Vegas Planet Hollywood last weekend to her trainer boyfriend and father of their 1-year-old son. That's Chloe from "24."
- Kara DioGuardi will return as a judge in the next season of "American Idol."
- An Ohio family says they've reached their goal of visiting 52 zoos in the U.S. in 52 weeks! They plan to write a book about their journey.
- The next batch of celebrities competing on "Dancing with the Stars" will be announced on "Good morning, America" August 17th.
- Comedian Eddie Izzard is running 1100 miles to raise money for a cause.
- Early word is that this year's hot Halloween costume is Kate Gosselin.
- She's getting a 7-figure salary from "Vanity Fair" but photographer Annie Leibovitz is still said to be in huge financial trouble.
- The "Twilight" book series is starting to break records set by Harry Potter.
- Yes, People magazine got together the cast of "Saved by the Bell," but not Screech. David Dustin is coming out with a "tell all" book about the show, and the rest of the cast didn't want anything to do with him.
- Dave Grohl now has a street named after him in Warren, Ohio.
DID YOU KNOW?
iPHONE APP RATES SEX LIFE: A new iPhone application claims to rate your sex life. Passion works by using all of the iPhone's distinct features such as the microphone, accelerometer and many others to determine an accurate score. All you have to do is start the application, put your iPhone on the bed, in an arm band, or even in your pocket and have intercourse. Once you are finished, press the stop button and view your results. http://tinyurl.com/l65a5m
PEOPLE ARE BAD AT CONTROLING URGES: If you think you're generally good at resisting temptation, you're probably wrong, scientists now say. The new study, which will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science, builds on past research showing that when not in the "heat of the moment," individuals have a hard time understanding the depths of their cravings. Loran Nordgren, senior lecturer of management and organizations at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, in Illinois, said that when faced with the thing one craves, it's harder to resist -- and people are not good at anticipating the power of their urges, so those most confident about their self-control are the most likely to give into temptation.
VIDEO GAME PLAYERS ARE HOOKED FOR LIFE: Some researchers say video games are addictive in ways similar to gambling addiction. "Our data also shows that the number of video gamers is broadening across many demographics, meaning as people get older they keep playing because they are now playing video games with their kids or getting fit with the Nintendo Wii," says George Van Horn, a senior analyst at IBISworld. One factor behind the rise: The average console game typically provides between 5 and 25 hours of playtime. When that game is completed, gamers look to a new game, often without replaying the old ones. Van Horn added, "Once a person becomes a video gamer, he or she will remain a video gamer indefinitely, rendering the industry essentially turnover-proof."
FERTILITY PROBLEMS ARE COMMON: One in three women has experienced fertility problems, a survey has found. The Daily Mail reported that the survey also discovered that seven out of 10 childless women over the age of 30 worry about being able to conceive. Even though they have it "in the back of their minds" that they can always turn to in vitro, a quarter of the women surveyed who underwent IVF ended up with a baby and that fell to 13 percent among those over 40.
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND WATSON TO BE GAY??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson will reportedly have a physical relationship in Guy Ritchie's upcoming film about the detective and his sidekick. Robert Downey Jr., who plays the title role in Sherlock Holmes, reportedly told News of the World about the film, "We're two men who happen to be roommates, wrestle a lot and share a bed. It's bad-ass."
- He added, "Guy wanted to make this about the relationship between Watson and Holmes. They're both mean and complicated."
- However, Michael Medved, a former movie critic for the New York Post, told the paper that a gay relationship between the characters won't necessarily be a hit with audiences. He explained, "There's not a seething, bubbling hunger to see straight stars impersonating homosexuals. I think they're just trying to generate controversy . . . They know that making Holmes and Watson homosexual will take away two-thirds of their box office. Who is going to want to see Downey Jr. and Law make out? I don't think it would be appealing to women. Straight men don't want to see it."
LOU FERRIGNO REPORTEDLY IN TALKS FOR DANCING WITH THE STARS
Lou Ferrigno will reportedly appear on the upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars. Life & Style magazine quotes The Incredible Hulk star as having said, "I had a good meeting with the producers for Dancing With the Stars, it was really positive, and they loved the idea of having me on the show."
- He added, "I've never done that type of dancing before, so I know that I'll have to train hard. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll give it my best shot."
- Ferrigno recently made headlines for his role as Michael Jackson's personal trainer prior to the 50-year-old's death in June.
PAULA ABDUL NOT RETURNING TO AMERICAN IDOL
Paula Abdul has decided that eight years as a judge on American Idol is enough, announcing last night (August 4th) in a Twitter posting that she won't be returning to the show when the ninth season begins in January. Abdul tweeted, "With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return." She wrote, "I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon." In a statement, Fox and American Idol's producers called Abdul "a tremendous talent" and "an important part of American Idol family" and said they were saddened she'd decided not to return.
Abdul's announcement came at the end of her contract talks, and after she'd said just last month that she was optimistic she'd be able to negotiate a new deal. But RadarOnline.com had reported recently that Abdul was demanding a $20 million contract to stay with American Idol, while the show wanted her to re-sign for half that. Abdul's announcement also came one day after Fox said that Kara DioGuardi would return for a second season as a judge, along with Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson. When DioGuardi was added to American Idol last year, it raised questions about Abdul's future on the show.
GIRLS DAY OUT IS BACK!
With our biggest and best "Girls Day Out" yet!
It's anything and everything that women want!
All in one great location!
When: Saturday Sep 26th 10am-3pm
Where: Harrah's Laughlin Ballroom
Price: Free Admission!
Invite your girlfriends from California out for the weekend! Contact Harrah's Laughlin for special Girls Day Out Rates!
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Billy Currington is on the mend after suffering a concussion when storms ripped through the Big Valley Jamboree music festival in Camrose, Alberta, Canada while he and his band were on stage on Saturday (August 1st). Currington has already returned to his Nashville home, while his bass player, Alex Stevens, continues to receive treatment in a Nashville hospital. Stevens was pinned under the stage wreckage for 30 minutes while rescue personnel removed debris to free him. He underwent immediate surgery to repair a severed artery and nerves in his left arm.
On Monday (August 3rd), Currington issued a statement through his label, saying, "My heart goes out to the family of Donna Moore, who was killed, and all of the other fans who were hurt on Saturday."
Earlier in the day, he Twittered, "The boys and I are very grateful to be home and for life itself. We thank you for your prayers and concern and will see you on the road again soon."
- Currington was on the last song of his set when the wind blew the staging down on top of him and his band.
- In addition to one death, at least 15 people in the crowd of some 15,000 were injured in the storm's aftermath.
- Actor Kevin Costner and his band Modern West were scheduled to be the next band to perform on the stage before it collapsed.
Darius Rucker tops the country charts this week with his latest single, "Alright." The song is his third consecutive Number One hit from his debut country album, Learn To Live. His previous singles -- "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" and "It Won't Be Like This For Long" -- were both multiple-week chart-toppers.
Rucker tells us he and his record label are blown away by the rapid-fire success of his very first country project. "We didn't expect what's happenin'. I don't think Capitol ever really sat down and said this record's gonna do what my record's done. Like I said when I started, I wanna make a record that people wanna listen to, and when I write songs, I write songs that I want people to wanna listen to, and it just feels really good to know this thing that I've talked about since '86 I finally got it do and it worked. That's a pretty cool feeling!"
Rascal Flatts have walked a fine line between country and pop music for the past several years. Despite their incredible success, Jay DeMarcus says the trio seems to be haunted by one lingering question -- are they country or are they pop? "Well, that's a simple answer because we've been asked that a lot and the truth of the matter is is that country is our roots. We were born and raised on country music and that's why we're here and that's why we're doin' what we do, and that's why we do what we do, but we love great music. We just love all kinds of music. We all have a great similar love for music, and if it's great we love it!"
- "Alright" was co-written by Rucker.
- Rucker is one of four artists to have their first three singles land at Number One on the Billboard Country Chart. Prior to Rucker, only Clint Black, Brooks & Dunn, and Wynonna have reached this achievement in the last 20 years.
- Rucker's free concert at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville on August 24th will air on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on August 27th.
- Rucker continues to tour with Rascal Flatts.
While Rascal Flatts consider themselves country, they are open about being influenced by other genres of music. "We wanna do the best we can to stay true to our roots while always trying to push the envelope and do more than what we even think we can do. It's really inspiring to see the way music has been able to change over the last few years and embrace different kinds of country music, and it's been really, really great for us, I think, to be able to have been a part of that change."
Ralph Stanley's much-reported experience with a "disrespectful" Tim McGraw will now be left out of his upcoming autobiography when it hits store shelves on October 15th. The paragraph about McGraw, including a comment that he "wouldn't know a real country song if it kicked him in the ass," was included in the final edits of the book, but was deleted from the completed book, called Man of Constant Sorrow: The Life and Times of a Music Legend.
- The trio's latest hit, "Summer Nights," is a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
- Their American Living Unstoppable tour rolls into Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio on Friday (August
- Stanley claimed McGraw was less than kind to him when he beat him out for the 2002 Grammy for Best Male Country Performance.
- In 2002, McGraw's Grammy nomination was for "Grown Men Don't Cry," while Stanley took home the trophy for "O Death."
- Stanley's work on "O Death" was featured in the 2000 film, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Newcomers Gloriana will release their self-titled debut album on Tuesday (August 4th). The 13-track album includes their hit single, "Wild At Heart," which is the best-selling track by a new country act in 2009.
- Gloriana has been chosen as Rhapsody's "Ones To Watch" for the month of August. Throughout the month, Rhapsody will make exclusive Gloriana content available to fans, including an interview and a celebrity playlist chosen by the foursome.
- Rhapsody will also release an exclusive "Rhapsody Originals" performance, featuring songs performed live during Gloriana's set at the Rhapsody Rocks the CMT Music Awards event in Nashville on June 15th. Fans can also check out that performance on CMT.com.
- Gloriana is currently on the road with Taylor Swift on her sold out Fearless tour.
- In May of this year, Gloriana released a four-song digital EP, including "Wild at Heart" and three other songs from their debut album.
- Gloriana consists of brothers Tom and Mike Gossin, Rachel Reinert, and Cheyenne Kimball.
Jason Aldean's "Big Green Tractor" is turning into the biggest hit of his career. The song has spent four consecutive weeks at the top of iTunes' all-genre ringtone chart. It's also the Number One most downloaded ringtone among Verizon's 84 million subscribers.
- Aldean will release his first concert DVD, Wide Open Live And More, on August 25th. The show was shot in March at a concert in Knoxville, Tennesse and features 15 tracks.
- Aldean's current Wide Open album has already been certified gold for sales of more than 500,000 units.
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
INVITATION ONLY: BRAD PAISLEY/CMT 9:00PM (ET)
CAN YOU DUET SEASON 2/CMT 10:00PM, 11:00PM (ET) Naomi Judd, Big Kenny
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
Elvis Presley's Number One single, "Hound Dog," charted in 1956.
- The Judds scored their first Number One single with "Mama He's Crazy" in 1984.
- Lee Roy Parnell's "A Little Bit of You" went to Number One in 1995.
- Jamie O'Neal's "When I Think About Angels" became her second chart-topping single in 2001.
- Skeeter Davis joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1959.
- Ricky Skaggs wed Sharon White in 1981.
MICHAEL DOUGLAS' SON ARRESTED FOR METH POSSESSION: Cameron Douglas was arrested in New York City July 28th for possession of methamphetamines with intent to distribute, the New York Post reports. The 30-year-old actor was busted by the DEA in an undercover operation that determined the actor had a half pound of the drug with an approximate street value of $18,000. Douglas was charged for felony possession of a controlled substance in 2007.
'24' STAR MARY LYNN RAJSKUB TIES THE KNOT: The actress who plays quirky computer whiz Chloe on 24 got married Saturday, People.com reports. The actress tied the knot with personal trainer Matthew Rolph, with the couple's 1-year-old son Valentine "walking" the bride down the aisle. The wedding took place at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas and was performed by an Elvis impersonator.
BRADLEY COOPER SAYS HE'S NOT DATING JENNIFER ANISTON: Actor Bradley Cooper is denying rumors he hooked up in Washington, DC recently with actress Jennifer Aniston. A rep for the actor says "It didn't happen, they were not together. Bradley was there on a stop-over from his USO tour." The two did have a "just friends"dinner in New York in June.
'CRIMINAL MINDS' STAR SHEMAR MOORE HIT BY CAR, BREAKS LEG: Actor Shemar Moore suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car while riding his bike Saturday in Los Angeles, TMZ.com reports. His publicist said that he is fine and recuperating at home. Moore plays investigator Derek Morgan on the CBS series Criminal Minds.
FORMER 'LAGUNA BEACH' STAR POPPED FOR DRUNKEN SHOE ATTACK: Law enforcement sources in Laguna Beach tell TMZ that Jason Wahler was arrested for battery and public intoxication after tossing shoes at people in a drunken fit. It all started when Wahler got into a fight with a bouncer at the Ocean Avenue Brewery and was then ejected. Wahler went back into the bar and the bouncers threw him out again. Then Wahler took off his shoes and tossed them into the bar. Cops finally showed up and arrested Wahler.
ABC CLOSE TO PICKING UP ALYSSA MILANO PILOT - ABC may be adding the Alyssa Milano comedy Romantically Challenged to its mid-season schedule. The story about a thirtysomething man who is torn between his new girlfriend and needy best friend was shot in the spring. ABC has three new drama series coming mid-season: V, Happy Town and The Deep End.
HUGH JACKMAN TAPPED FOR 'P.T. BARNUM MUSICAL': Hugh Jackman has been cast as the great P.T. Barnum in the film musical The Greatest Showman On Earth. Jackman will also be one of the producers on the film. The movie will have an original contemporary score. The studio is in talks with British singer-songwriter Mika to write music and lyrics, Variety reports.
STEVE ZAHN TO STAR IN 'DIARY OF A WIMPY KID' ADAPTATION: Actor Steve Zahn is set to star in the adaptation of Jeff Kinney's best-selling Diary Of a Wimpy Kid novels. The books, which have sold over 20 million copies, are about a middle-school student during the course of a school year.
SIGNS YOU'RE TOO NICE (AskMen.com)
Do nice guys really finish last when it comes to dating? Sometimes yes, because when you're too nice, people tend to take advantage of you. Whether you're pursuing a woman or you've already got one, when you're too nice it can prevent you from having the relationship you really want. Women appreciate a gentleman, but they don't respect pushovers. Here are some of the signs, according to AskMen.com
- You're too respectful - In most social situations, good manners and respect for other people will get you pretty far. But, being too respectful between the sheets is one of the signs you're too nice. In the bedroom, women appreciate spontaneity, assertiveness and a sense of adventure. They don't like it when you're delicate or tentative.
- You're too interested - If you're unfailingly interested by every little thing your wife or girlfriend does, it's another sign you're too nice. If you abandon your aspirations, neglect your interests and bail on your friends just so you can concentrate all of your energy on your relationship, chances are your relationship is doomed to fail.
- You're too complimentary - Being too complimentary is another one of our signs you're too nice. Every woman loves to be complimented, but every woman also wants your compliments to be genuine. Once you start telling her how beautiful she is six times a day, the words lose all meaning.
- You're too understanding - It's a fact of life: Some people suck, and even good people do bad things from time to time. Trying to "understand" another person's point of view as he or she walks all over you isn't tolerant; it's spineless. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. Most importantly, if your partner sees other people walking all over you, she'll walk all over you too -- that is, until she walks out on you.
- You're too cheerful - The last of our signs you're too nice has to do with your mood. If you're smiling and cheery all the time, you're too nice. Everyone gets pissed off once in a while. More to the point, sometimes anger is a completely justifiable response. Getting angry or upset at appropriate times isn't a sign of instability; it's a sign you're a man.
FIVE SECRETS OF AN ALLURING PROFILE (Cosmopolitan)
Not having any luck meeting somebody online? It could be your profile. Here are some common mistakes women make with their online profile, according to Cosmopolitan.
- Mistake #1: You Don't Self-Promote - You might be hesitant to really play up your assets because you worry it will make you seem cocky or self-involved. But leaving out interesting info, like how you're awesome at snowboarding or speak two languages, results in a lackluster first impression. Tip: Have a close friend help you create your profile or pretend it's a pitch for a job you want.
- Mistake #2: You Come Off as a Clone - Everyone knows you are "nice, smart, fun, and sweet," but there are thousands of other single girls online saying the same damn thing about themselves. Tip: The best profiles tell an original story. Don't just say you're adventurous, describe an actual adventure you've had.
- Mistake #3: You Go Negative 0 You might be tempted to write "Don't message me if you were born before 1970 or live with your parents" in an effort to weed out unsavory characters. But that can backfire because it makes guys think you have issues or are high-maintenance. Even ones who meet your criteria will hold back because they'll be wondering what you're going to hate about them.
- Mistake #4: You're Too Honest - Maybe your BFF signed you up for online dating to help you get over your ex. Save that little secret for your journal. Anything you wouldn't say on a first date doesn't belong in your profile.
- Mistake #5: You Pick the Wrong Photo - Guys look at the photo first. Period. And even if you have the perfect profile, the wrong mix of pictures will make any guy take a pass. Here's the deal: Only include shots from the neck up and he'll think you're hiding your body for a reason. Photos with other men are an automatic turnoff too. Another bad idea? Including a snapshot with a girlfriend who is hotter than you. Yeah, it's a little low to crop out your Megan Fox look-alike BFF, but all's fair in online dating.
WHAT SACRIFICES WOULD YOU MAKE FOR A RELATIONSHIP? (MarieClaire)
It's one thing to compromise on something simple like what time you go to bed and how you split up the household chores. But there are other things in a relationship that are beyond simple compromise. What changes would be willing to make as a sacrifice for your significant other?
- Religion - Even if you are not practicing your religion, there may be certain holidays and customs that you would like to continue to observe. Would you be willing to give up Christmas for your Jewish partner? How would your own parents and family react to this change?
- Career - Some careers require you to work odd hours, travel often or relocate. Would you be willing to give up your career if your significant other wanted you to stay at home?
- Living Situation - So you've tired of your long distance relationship and want to be together with your honey. Would you be willing to leave friends, family and your favorite pizza joint behind to live with your significant other?
- Habits, Vices and Traditions - Your loved one means well when they nag you to quit smoking or break another bad habit, but it can still be annoying. Guys have a lot of traditions in single life, like their weekly poker game and ladies enjoy their girls night out. Would you be willing to change your habits or traditions to please your partner?
- People - Under most circumstances, it's not fair to demand someone to cut someone out of their lives. But a lot of us have heard that "it's either them or me" ultimatum from a significant other.
- The Single Life - Speaking of ultimatums, a lot of relationships die when someone gives the marriage ultimatum. Some people even go so far as to let the other person know that date they expect to be married, and then make good on their promise to end the relationship when that date comes and goes
DID YOU KNOW?
FACE MASKS SEEM TO PROTECT AGAINST FLU: A large study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine suggests that when seasonal flu patients and their families wear surgical face masks and wash their hands within the first 36 hours of symptoms, the healthy family members are less likely to get sick. The study was done by researchers at the University of Hong Kong who studied patients with regular seasonal flu and not the swine flu. But, the scientists believe that the results may also apply to swine flu.
AMERICANS LOVE THEIR NAP TIME: A new study by the Pew Research Group reveals that 34 per cent of Americans take naps during the day. Slightly more men than women said they had taken a nap within the past 24 hours. A third of whites and Hispanics, and half of all African-Americans surveyed said they had taken a nap within the past 24 hours. The group with the most nappers was people over 80 years old, 52 percent of whom had taken a recent nap.
- CHECK THIS OUT: Here's an iPhone app that simulates noises you make at work so you can fool your boss and sneak a nap on the job http://tinyurl.com/cd4y78
The following DVDs are out today (August 4th):
- Race to Witch Mountain
- The Soloist
- Labor Pains
- Flight of the Concords, Season 2
NEW TO BLU-RAY
- My Cousin Vinny
- Big Trouble in Little China
- The Waterboy
- Hannibal Rising
Miley Cyrus is among the stars and celebrities who will appear on Teen Choice 2009,
Scheduled to air on the Fox network on Monday, August 10th, at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT. Cyrus will perform her newest single, "Party In The U.S.A." The young singer/actress will be joined by Twilight cast members Robert Pattinson, Kristin Stewart, Taylor Lautner, Ashley Greene, Nikki Reed and Kellan Lutz as well as the cast of the new Fox musical comedy series Glee, premiering this fall. The program, hosted by the Jonas Brothers, will celebrate the hottest teen idols in film, television, music, sports and fashion, with awards in categories such as Choice Hottie and Choice Twit.
- Additional participants in the show include David Beckham, Zac Efron, Megan Fox, Cameron Diaz, Alexis Bledel, Chace Crawford, Leighton Meester, Ellen DeGeneres, Ashley Tisdale, Kristen Bell, Jordana Brewster, Vanessa Hudgens, Kim Kardashian and more.
- Cyrus is currently filming The Last Song, with plans to launch a new apparel line this August and kick off a 45-city North American tour in September.
Happiness Happens Month --
A celebration to encourage people to recognize their happy moments, in addition to their unhappy ones. If you want to be happier and healthier, keep a positive attitude. A study from the Mayo Clinic found optimists reported having better physical and emotional health. Doctor Toshihiko (toh-she-HEE'koh) Maruta (mar-OO'tuh) says the research is a follow-up to a study they did a couple years ago. He says the optimist also tends to live longer and better lives.
We can help! Here is the morning show sure fire technique for maintaining a positive attitude and a sure fire way to a happier day! The secret is thinking pleasant thoughts. The power of thinking of positive images really works I will prove it. Close your eyes (unless you are driving) and picture in your minds eye the following images. Think about them one at a time before going on to the next one...
- Falling in love.
- Taking a drive on a pretty road.
- Hearing your favorite song on the radio.
- Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.
- Finding the sweater you want is on sale for half price.
- Running through sprinklers.
- Having someone tell you that you're beautiful.
Now honestly, don't you feel better? It works!
Here are some more thoughts:
- Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.
- Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep.
- Your first kiss (either the very first or with a new partner).
- Making new friends or spending time with old ones.
- Playing with a new puppy.
- Wrapping presents under the Christmas tree while eating cookies and drinking your favorite drink.
- Song lyrics printed inside your new CD so you can sing along without feeling stupid.
- Making eye contact with a cute stranger.
- Holding hands with someone you care about.
- Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you.
- Watching the sunrise.
- Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.
Back To School Month --
Soon the kids will be heading back to school and God bless those teachers who have to put up with them all day. Still, while it's tough being a teacher in 2005, it's still better than it was in 1915! The following is a list of rules that American teachers in 1915, were told to obey.
- You will not marry during the term of your contract.
- You are not to keep company with men.
- You must be home between the hours of 8pm and 6am, unless attending a school function.
- You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
- You may not travel beyond city limits, unless you have the permission" of the chairman of the board.
- You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man, unless he is your father or brother.
- You may not smoke cigarettes.
- You must wear bright colors to school.
- You may under no circumstances, dye your hair.
- You must wear at least 2 petticoats.
- Your dresses must not be any shorter than 2 inches above the ankle.
Of course this all really sucked if you were a guy!
GIRLS DAY OUT IS BACK!
With our biggest and best "Girls Day Out" yet!
It's anything and everything that women want!
All in one great location!
When: Saturday Sep 26th 10am-3pm
Where: Harrah's Laughlin Ballroom
Price: Free Admission!
Invite your girlfriends from California out for the weekend! Contact Harrah's Laughlin for special Girls Day Out Rates!
Attention Vendors: We only have a few booths left. Inside and Outside (room for motorcycles, cars, boats, furniture, TV's, RV's and more)
If you need to expose your products to hundreds and hundreds of women all in one location contact Cameron Broadcasting or your local Cameron rep at 928 763-5586 between 9am and 5pm today! Or email email@example.com
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The cast of "Seinfeld" -- Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jason Alexander and Michael Richards -- will reunite for the upcoming season finale of Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Larry was a co-creator of "Seinfeld."
- The government is suspending the "Cash for clunkers" program because it was so popular, it's already out of money!
- Amy Poehler is going to return to "Saturday Night Live" at the beginning of the season to do the "Weekend Update" thing, which will allow her to plug her new sitcom, "Parks and Recreation."
- "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" returns to TV tonight, following a post-divorce hiatus.
- It turns out that eating walnuts provide a woman's body with the essential omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and phytosterols that reduce the risk of breast cancer, according to researchers from the Marshall University School of Medicine in Huntington, West Virginia.
- Women who eat less than 4 ounces of red meat weekly survive longer than those who eat more, The Archives of Internal Medicine asserts.
- Jessica Simpson says she won't be "an Indian giver" and take back the boat that she had bought as a present for her now-ex, Tony Romo.
- The upcoming "G.I. Joe" movie is doing everything it can to battle some bad buzz on the Internet.
- Two Ohio police chiefs were arrested for sneaking into the home of the surrogate mom that delivered twins for Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker. They were allegedly prowling for tabloid material.
KFLAG COUNTRY MUSIC UPDATE
Billy Currington and his band were performing when a stage collapsed on Saturday (August 1st) at the Big Valley Jamboree muisc festival in Canada. According to the New York Daily News, a storm touched down on the concert grounds, causing the stage to collapse and sending fans running for cover. One person was killed, and up to 40 people were reportedly injured, including one of Currington's band members, who was pulled from the wreckage with a badly injured arm. Currington's guitarist Doug Collins told the Calgary Herald, "I was playing slide guitar and I have to look constantly at my hands. All of a sudden, I saw this blast coming at me and I ran off the stage. One amp started falling toward me and that is when it got bizarre. That's when I ran."
- Currington was not hurt.
- Kevin Costner and his country band Modern West were due to take the stage after Currington at a Canadian music festival.
- CHECK IT OUT: Here is a photo of the stage damage: http://tinyurl.com/l2kn2h
Jennifer Nettles opened up about her recent vocal issues, which caused Sugarland to cancel a handful of concert dates. Nettles' problems were due to "vocal strain" and "over-use related to the health problems the singer has been battling since January." Now back on the road, Nettles is opening up to CMT Insider
about the issue, saying she first first noticed voice issues after the duo recorded new tracks in the studio between tour dates. Nettles says, "It's very scary. "Because you think, 'All right, I can go out there -- and I can do tomorrow -- but I may not do the rest of the year if I do tomorrow.' And that is terrifying. And that is when you say, 'Wait a minute. Let's pull back.'" Nettles knows that cancellations disappointed and even angered some fans, and although she feels bad, she knew it was best to follow doctor's orders. She says, "But at the end of the day, it also says, well, we have something that people really want. And sometimes they want it more ... than I have to give."
Taylor Swift has been tapped to appear in the upcoming romantic comedy Valinetine's Day, starring an ensemble casts that also includes Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Bradley Cooper, Eric Dane, Patrick Dempsey, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher, Taylor Lautner, Queen Latifah, Emma Roberts, Julia Roberts and others. The news hit after Swift was photographed on the set with Twilight star, Lautner. Just Jared reports that Swift and Lautner will play their school's prom king and queen in the film. According to MTV News, the movie, which is due out next year, follows five interconnected stories that occur in Los Angeles on Valentine's Day.
- Sugarland's Love On The Inside tour resumed on July 30th in Bend, Oregon. Dates are scheduled through the end of August.
CHECK IT OUT: Swift photographed on the set of Valentine's Day
- Swift appeared briefly in Hannah Montana: The Movie earlier this year.
- She's on the road this summer on her headlining Fearless tour.
INTERNET COMMENTS: DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?
tif4life writes on MTVNews.com: "this movie is so ....ugh they are just name dropping to get ppl to watch this i say this because all these celebrities are going to be in the movie."
nickjonaslover159 writes on MTVNews.com: "that is tottaly insane i cant wait till that movie comes out hopefully taylor swift sings a song,that would be awesome!!"
Lee Ann Womack has had her fair share of collaborators, but there's one person she has yet to record with -- her 18-year-old daughter, Aubrie. Womack tells People.com, "I'd like to work with my daughter." Womack's oldest daughter also happens to be a musical talent, so a collaboration could be in the works. The 42-year-old Womack says, "My favorite thing about summer is that the girls are out of school. Anna [her 10-year-old daughter] and I watch a lot of old movies together, and occasionally we'll all go to lunch together." Womack has teamed up with various artists through the years. Her latest single, "Solitary Thinkin'," was written by country singer Waylon Payne. Womack says she enjoyed working with Payne, explaining, "He doesn't follow a formula or anything, he just writes from the heart, and that's the way music should be written."
CHECK IT OUT: Here's Womack's video for "Solitary Thinkin'"
- In the past, Womack has teamed up with Willie Nelson, George Strait and others.
- "Solitary Thinkin'" appears on Womack's 2008 album, Call Me Crazy.
- Aubrie is the daughter Womack had with her ex-husband, singer-songwriter Jason Sellers. Womack also has a daughter, Anna, with her current husband, record producer Frank Liddell.
George Strait is back with his new single, "Living For The Night," which will appear on his upcoming album, Twang, due out August 11th. He co-wrote the track with his son, Bubba Strait, and legendary writer Dean Dillon. It's also the first song Strait had a hand in writing since his 1982 debut album. Strait tells us how the song came about: "'Living For The Night'...me and my son Bubba and Dean Dillon wrote this song. 'Living For The Night' was an idea I'd had for quite a while. I'd been thinking about that, and when Bubba and I decided to start trying to write a little bit, I called Dean up and Dean came down to the ranch and we spent a few days together and so I threw this idea out and we just started writing. So that's how that song came about."
Kellie Pickler has been updating fans on all things going on in her life on the popular social messaging site, Twitter. From music news to personal updates, Pickler is one of the many music artists keeping people up to date. Some of her latest updates include a recent visit to the restaurant chain, Olive Garden and news of her returning home to Nashville. Pickler tells us why she likes to Tweet so much: "It's so fun. It's so easy, too. I can just send a little Tweet from my phone. It's like a text message. I just type it in, or I can e-mail a picture to it, and you only put what you want to put, and so, things that you don't want the whole world to know about you, and the people on Mars, then you don't put it on there. But I don't really have anything to hide. I mean, there are things that I do keep personal, so, I don't put anything too bad on there."
- Strait's next show is lined up for August 8th in Houston.
- Strait and Bubba co-penned two other songs on Twang -- "He's Got That Something Special" and "Out Of Sight Out Of Mind."
- You can follow Pickler on Twitter at TheRealPickler.
Q. Where does Blake Shelton hail from?
A. Ada, Oklahoma
COUNTRY ON THE TUBE TODAY!
TOP 20 COUNTRY COUNTDOWN/GAC 10:00AM (ET)
Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Jimmy Wayne
SOUNDSTAGE/GAC 7:00PM (ET)
Lee Ann Womack, Billy Currington
INVITATION ONLY: BRAD PAISLEY/CMT 9:00PM (ET)
CAN YOU DUET SEASON 2/CMT 10:00PM, 11:00PM (ET)
Naomi Judd, Big Kenny
ON THIS DAY IN COUNTRY
Patsy Cline received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999.
- Clay Walker's self-titled debut album was released in 1993.
- Alabama hit Number One on the Billboard country chart with "Forty Hour Week (For A Livin')" in 1985.
- Billy "Crash" Craddock's signature song, "Rub It In," reached Number One on the Billboard country chart in 1974.
- Trisha Yearwood scored a Number One with her very first single, "She's In Love With The Boy," in 1991.
- Johnny Lee debuted on the Grand Ole Opry in 1991.
MARK WAHLBERG GETS MARRIED - The actor and longtime girlfriend Rhea Durham wed in Beverly Hills on Saturday. The wedding was an intimate affair held at the Good Shepherd Catholic Church and attended by the couple's three small children and about 12 close friends and family, People reports. Wahlberg is 38 and Durham, a model, is 31. He is the youngest of nine children, but he says he's leaving the size of his own family up to his wife.
JUDE LAW BABY MAMA REVEALS CHILD'S NAME: The mother of Jude Law's unborn child released a statement through her lawyers Friday, confirming that the actor has been "responsive and supportive" during her pregnancy and will remain so once the baby is born. The statement also revealed that the baby's name will be Sophia. Mom-to-be Samantha Burke is a 24-year-old actress and model from Pensacola, Florida.
REALITY STARS AMBER AND ROB BECOME PARENTS: Amber Mariano gave birth to Lucia Rose on the 4th of July her husband Rob Mariano tells People. Amber, whose maiden name is Brkich appeared on Survior: The Outback in 2001 and Rob was on Survivor: Marquesas in 2002. They were both on Survivor: All-Stars which ended with Rob's on-screen proposal in 2004. The went on Amazing Race as a couple and then married in 2005. They appeared on the show again during its all-star season in 2007. They also starred together on FOX's Amber And Rob: Against the Odds.
JAIME PRESSLY ENGAGED - Eonline confirms that Jaime Pressly and her boyfriend Simran Singh have gotten engaged. The actress celebrated the engagement and her 32nd birthday at the Hard Rock Hotel San Diego on Saturday.
ALI LARTER WEDS - Heroes star Ali Larter married actor Hayes MacArthur on Saturday at her parents home in Kennebunkport, Maine. UsMagazine reports that the wedding ceremony took place outdoors on the lawn and that actress Amy Smart was among the guests. The couple dated for five years before getting engaged in December. This is the first marriage for both.
BACHELOR NUMBER 2 ENGAGED - The second season star of The Bachelor, Aaron Buerge, is set to wed on August 8th. He's marrying 33-year-old commercial insurance agent Angye McIntosh, with whom he had an awkward first meeting. He said, "Long story short, I got some hot dog mustard on her." Buerge appeared on The Bachelor in 2002, where he chose psychologist Helene Eksterowicz to be his bride. They never made it to the altar.
SOURCE: TONY ROMO WANTED JESSICA TO BE A HOUSEWIFE: A source tells People magazine that he wanted her to stay at home while he went out to play -- and we're not just talking football.
LEIGHTON MEESTER'S BOYFRIEND NOT THREATENED BY KISSING SCENES ON 'GOSSIP GIRL': On- and off-screen co-star Sebastian Stan says he's a really lucky guy and that he doesn't mind when she has to make out with Ed Westwick on set.
THIRD RUNNER-UP SAYS HE WAS THE RIGHT GUY FOR 'THE BACHELORETTE': Reid Rosenthal, who proposed to Jillian Harris on Tuesday's finale says he thought their relationship "was 50 times better than (with) the other guys" and that he regrets not telling her how he felt sooner. Harris did not accept.
USA RENEWS 'IN PLAIN SIGHT' - Mary and Marshall will be back working for the Witness Protection Program for a third season on USA Network's In Plain Sight. USA also is hammering out the final details on renewing Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Last week USA renewed Burn Notice and Royal Pains, which mean that the network has picked up all of its series eligible for renewal -- a rare feet for a broadcast network according to The Hollywood Reporter.
LET'S MAKE A DEAL STARRING WAYNE BRADY TO REPLACE GL - CBS is expected to announce Monday that a new version of the game show Let's Make A Deal starring Wayne Brady will replace outgoing soap opera Guiding Light. GL is set to end its 72-year broadcast run on September 18th. CBS has also shot pilots for revivals of Pyramid and The Dating Game.
SIMON COWELL WANTS MADONNA ON UK TALENT SHOW 'X FACTOR' - Simon Cowell is wants Madonna to be a guest mentor on the TV talent show X Factor in the upcoming season, OK Magazine reports. Madge would be brought on to help out the contestants, similar to the guest singers who've appeared on American Idol in the U.S. Insiders say Cowell has asked network ITV to put the extra dough in the budget to afford to bring Madonna on the show.
TYRA BANKS TO APPEAR ON "GOSSIP GIRL": Look for the model/TV host to appear on the show's upcoming third season. Sources tell EOnline that she'll play Ursula Nyquist a "larger-than-life actress" who is repped by Blake Lively's character, Serena. The episode airs October 5th. Other guest stars this season include Michelle Trachtenberg and Hilary Duff
BOMB SQUAD CALLED TO OPRAH STUDIOS: Investigators were called to the TV mogul's studios in Chicago on Friday after a backpack with wires hanging out of it was discovered in a flower bed outside the building. The Chicago Bomb and Arson squad checked it out and it was determined that the backpack was in fact not a bomb. The building was not evacuated.
7 MEN EVERY WOMAN SHOULD DATE AT LEAST ONCE (Glamour)
Fireman - He's strong and a wears a protective suit because his job is so dangerous. Plus, he rides around in a big red firetruck saving lives and homes and cats that get stuck in trees.
CIA Agent - Think Bond. James Bond. This secret agent, sleuth-type can be trusted with the nation's secrets and has all sorts of MacGyver-type moves up his sleeve.
Chef - A man who has been trained to cook professionally and is concocting new taste sensations every day in the kitchen? Score. We'll have an order of that.
Pilot - Does the thrill of traveling ever wear off? You can accompany your pilot on his flights across the nation and globe, exploring new geographic regions with him.
Yoga Instructor - He understands the importance of whole living and the mind-body connection. This man also has lean, sculpted muscles with none of the tough-guy attitude than can sometimes accompany them.
Violinist - Well, you can fill in any musician you want here. He's talented. And he'll play beautiful music for you.
Photographer - He sees things others just do not. He can use his eyes to experience the world in a unique way. He'll challenge you to think out of the box and urge you to embrace change and life in the now.
12 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER WEAR TO THE OFFICE (lemondrop.com)
It's August, the boss is on vacation for three weeks and the sweltering heat is getting you down. That may be true, but it doesn't mean that you should start wearing shorts, a tank and flip flops to the office. Here is the dirty dozen of summertime (and year-round) fashion don'ts:
Leggings - If you're cold, wear tights. If your dress is too short, put it back in the closet. If you don't feel like wearing pants, well ... tough. Leggings lack the polish and professionalism of standard work slacks or a nice pair of Wolford tights.
Boobs - OK, we get it. You've got a mind for business and a body for sin. But trying to emphasize the latter in a revealing tube top or strapless dress could backfire.
Shorts - First, ask yourself this: Do I work at Hooters? If the answer is no, step away from the booty shorts and flesh-toned tights.
Crocs - A nurse can get away with them. Mario Batali can get away with them. But you, gentle desk jockey, cannot get away with them. Besides being ridiculously hideous, these menacing mules are overly casual and suggest a certain complacency.
Miniskirts - Remember the dollar-bill dress code from high school? If you place a dollar bill above the knee and can still see skin below your skirt's hemline, go straight to detention -- or at least get a frown from the folks in HR.
Anklets - Yes, we know there's much more to you than this stuffy accountant job implies. We can see the Tweety tattoo every time you drop a file. But slipping a thin gold chain underneath your pantyhose presents a host of questionable visual images that your co-workers and clients would simply rather not contemplate. And don't even get us started on the toe rings.
Graphic and Logo Tees - While some T-shirts may pass muster in the office -- such as a classic polo on a guy, or a nice-quality, solid scoopneck -- logo and statement tees should be reserved for when you're off the clock.
Harem Pants - Harem pants might fly over at Vogue, but if the devils in your office wear Men's Wearhouse or Talbot's, not Prada, steer clear.
Bra Straps, Peekaboo Panties and Headlights - There's nothing like a flash of a pink lace Hanky Panky thong or an errant bra strap slipping down the slopes of your shoulders to sabotage a perfectly polished outfit. Avoid inappropriate underwear-as-outerwear moments by getting a professional bra fitting at your local department store and buying bras tailored to your dimensions.
Too-Tight Trousers - In the immortal words of girl group Fanny Pack, "Is your crotch hungry, girl / because it's eating your pants." Tight pants can be a problem for many reasons -- poor circulation, VPL, unflattering, overtly sexy -- but the main charge against them is the dreaded camel toe.
Sequins - Unless your job title is stripper, car show model or Miss America, you will never, ever, ever have an excuse to wear sequins, rhinestones or any other dazzling shiny embellishment at the office. The company holiday party, maybe, but never the office.
Flip-Flops - Besides being too beachy, casual, and annoyingly loud in their thwack-thwack-ness, flip-flops also pose safety risks that have encouraged some companies to ban them outright.
TEXTING, TWEETING TAKING OVER OUR LIVES?
From USA Today: "A report released last year from M:Metrics, a mobile-media research firm, found that Americans browsed the Web an average of 4.6 hours a month from their smartphones, an 89 percent increase from 2007. A May study from consulting firm Gravitytank found that app-enabled phone owners spend an average of two hours a day on their devices, with nearly 40 percent of that time dedicated to app use. By 2013, smartphones will have doubled their share of the handset market, accounting for 20 percent of all cellphones, according to market research company In-Stat."
SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD! EM
- How long can you go without checking or sending messages on your handheld?
- Have you ever missed something going on around you because you were looking on your handheld?
- Do you walk while texting? Have you ever tripped or fallen? Walked into a wall?